• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official SBR Brawl Tier List v1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fabian the Fastman

Smash Cadet
YEE-HAW! Kirby's in High Tier! So's Pikachu!

Back from the dead much?

Either way... I never really doubted Kirby's strength from the start (I never played Melee). I went from being a newbie who spammed his specials endlessly to a real Kirby player.

That being said, I don't really think Meta Knight is a huge issue for Kirby; whenever I face a level 9, he's not the least of my worries; maybe someone on Wi-Fi will make me think differently, though.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
YEE-HAW! Kirby's in High Tier! So's Pikachu!

Back from the dead much?

Either way... I never really doubted Kirby's strength from the start (I never played Melee). I went from being a newbie who spammed his specials endlessly to a real Kirby player.

That being said, I don't really think Meta Knight is a huge issue for Kirby; whenever I face a level 9, he's not the least of my worries; maybe someone on Wi-Fi will make me think differently, though.
It's much different when you fight real people...look at the Kirby board if you play as him plz.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I wouldn't judge the power of a character based on cpu lvl 9 performance.

@GrayPlague: What do you mean you can see the shuttle loop getting a HUGE nerf? It's not like the move will change. You mean you think that the move will get less and less effective as more characters develop a stronger metagame? I doubt that. Also are you suggesting that ppl's DI will miraculously get better, making it hard for MK to kill? I disagree on all levels with your post.

Zinc Elemental

Smash Journeyman
@GrayPlague: What do you mean you can see the shuttle loop getting a HUGE nerf? It's not like the move will change. You mean you think that the move will get less and less effective as more characters develop a stronger metagame? I doubt that. Also are you suggesting that ppl's DI will miraculously get better, making it hard for MK to kill? I disagree on all levels with your post.
I can see MK becoming what he really should have been: a character with ridiculous priority and speed, but literally no killing moves. Oh, and the Shuttle Loop will see a HUGE nerf, I can tell you that.
was preceded by

(interesting to see what types of nerfs MK will have in SSB4 >_>)

Riyo / Marluxeth

Smash Rookie
captain falcon nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo how can HE BE ON THE BOTTOM HE HAS FALCON PUNCH AND KNEE OF JUSTICE, I'm so confused now...

Laijin

Smash Hero
Here is my opinion:
Metaknight counters > the game.
Yoshi > Snake
Kirby > Fast fallers
Sol Badguy > Metaknight
Snake > Toon Link
Young Link > Toon Link
Guilty Gear > Brawl
Most fighting games > Brawl.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Here is my opinion:
Metaknight counters > the game.
Yoshi > Snake
Kirby > Fast fallers
Sol Badguy > Metaknight
Snake > Toon Link
Young Link > Toon Link
Guilty Gear > Brawl
I don't know about that one, but I can agree on on the other ones.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Here is my opinion:
Guilty Gear > Brawl
If you hate Brawl, why the heck are you posting in here?

Seriously, they should make a rule against Brawl flaming in the Brawl boards, it's getting annoying.

falcoslayer

Smash Apprentice
I remember listening to an SMYN at one point, a few weeks ago at the least, about that tournie that was won by some guy in California that played Cap, so I think he might rise in the future.

falcoslayer

Smash Apprentice
Oh, and I think that Wolf should be right below Marth. I think I've seen too many Wolves at tournaments that win over pit and kirby, and definetly over ice climber.

unwelc0med

Smash Journeyman
uh falcoslayer, double posts are frowned upon.

so next time please edit your first post.

thanks.

(god i sound like a mini mod)

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Delta_BP26 said:
Mario?... Low? ;_;
i know its totally dumb

tiers are for queers...
srsly.
or, brawl is for queers xD =/

its new, probably gonna change soon enough

Lucas low tier, LOOL
Actually, Mario is one of the characters whose placement I agree with. Bad recovery, bad knockback, able to be infinite-chained, dies against most of the competitive characters, his cape on Brawl has a fraction of Melee's usefulness, and he doesn't stand out in any one aspect. Don't get me wrong, I dig that guy, but let's face facts. The low tier was made for Mario.

gantrain05

Smash Master
Actually, Mario is one of the characters whose placement I agree with. Bad recovery, bad knockback, able to be infinite-chained, dies against most of the competitive characters, his cape on Brawl has a fraction of Melee's usefulness, and he doesn't stand out in any one aspect. Don't get me wrong, I dig that guy, but let's face facts. The low tier was made for Mario.
i disagree stongly with that statement. mario is actually a very capable fighter, he's got one of the best gimp games of any character, most characters can be gimped easily by just FLUDD > Cape glide > Cape hog. and he doesn't have "bad" knockback, its average, seeing as its in the middle of every character, i wouldn't consider that to be bad. he's mid tier material easily imo.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
i disagree stongly with that statement. mario is actually a very capable fighter, he's got one of the best gimp games of any character, most characters can be gimped easily by just FLUDD > Cape glide > Cape hog. and he doesn't have "bad" knockback, its average, seeing as its in the middle of every character, i wouldn't consider that to be bad. he's mid tier material easily imo.
Mario's gimp game is effective against SOME characters, certainly. But it's certainly NOT one of the better gimping games out there. The main thing about Brawl as opposed to Melee is that when someone is recovering, they generally don't need to be in a hurry to get back. They can usually just wait and see how the person is going to try and intercept them, then make their return based on that. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Mario can't gimp. I'm saying that his edge guarding game isn't even HALF as effective as it was in Melee.

Compare Mario's edge guarding to the likes of a DK or a Meta Knight, and it's just no contest. Add on top of that his BELOW average (not significantly, but yes, below average) knockback, pretty terrible recovery himself, and relative lack of damaging options, and you've got a character that totally belongs in the low tier.

I'm NOT saying that Mario can't be effective. But the problem with him being programmed to be a "middle-of-the-road" character is that, while good in theory, it actually means that he simply doesn't have anything to exploit in order to improve his standing. This is as opposed to higher-tier characters, which are all considered to have "weaknesses," but whose strengths can be exploited in such a way to make their weaknesses less significant. Mario has none of these options. And again, he gets KILLED by pretty much all of the popular tournament characters, especially DeDeDe and Meta Knight.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Except for Marth and Falco, all of my mains got nerfed [Samus, Falcon, Ganon, Mario, Ice Climbers]. I love to play all sorts of characters when I play smash but some of the characters is Brawl just suck so much it hurts to play them, plus without having to learn how to L-cancel, JC, pivot or WD with each character it really kills how much fun it is to learn a new character.

gantrain05

Smash Master
Mario's gimp game is effective against SOME characters, certainly. But it's certainly NOT one of the better gimping games out there. The main thing about Brawl as opposed to Melee is that when someone is recovering, they generally don't need to be in a hurry to get back. They can usually just wait and see how the person is going to try and intercept them, then make their return based on that. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Mario can't gimp. I'm saying that his edge guarding game isn't even HALF as effective as it was in Melee.

Compare Mario's edge guarding to the likes of a DK or a Meta Knight, and it's just no contest. Add on top of that his BELOW average (not significantly, but yes, below average) knockback, pretty terrible recovery himself, and relative lack of damaging options, and you've got a character that totally belongs in the low tier.

I'm NOT saying that Mario can't be effective. But the problem with him being programmed to be a "middle-of-the-road" character is that, while good in theory, it actually means that he simply doesn't have anything to exploit in order to improve his standing. This is as opposed to higher-tier characters, which are all considered to have "weaknesses," but whose strengths can be exploited in such a way to make their weaknesses less significant. Mario has none of these options. And again, he gets KILLED by pretty much all of the popular tournament characters, especially DeDeDe and Meta Knight.
i don't feel like getting into it right now, but saying DK has a better gimp game is just stupid, do you even know what a capeglide is? have you ever seen a mario player effectively use the FLUDD? let alone use the 2 in conjunction, even metaknight can be gimped effectively this way, the fludd makes him have to use his shuttle loop which is a pretty easy move to read, and once its caped he has no jumps, i'll show u some vids when i get them off my wii, you really can't be putting mario in low w/out having any knowledge of him at a competetive level.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
I think marth should be top tier, and I also think toon link should be placed higher. Both of them are very flexible and capable of being huge threats. They both have decent recovery moves, and TL has a ton of tricks up his sleeve, where marth can rack up damage quickly and kill easily. This list is really accurate though so I could definitely be wrong.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
I think marth should be top tier, and I also think toon link should be placed higher. Both of them are very flexible and capable of being huge threats. They both have decent recovery moves, and TL has a ton of tricks up his sleeve, where marth can rack up damage quickly and kill easily. This list is really accurate though so I could definitely be wrong.
Marth is already high enough. And Tl is fine where he is.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
i don't feel like getting into it right now, but saying DK has a better gimp game is just stupid,
You don't see many tournament-level DKs, do you? DK has literally DOZENS of options fighting off the stage when someone is returning. It's not even a contest. DK is one of the absolute best edge guards in the game (in addition to his amazing tilts, awesome range, fantastic aerials, great damage, and impressive knockback). It's ludicrous to even compare the two.

I would consider Mario's edge guarding game... good. And that's giving him the best of it.

do you even know what a capeglide is? have you ever seen a mario player effectively use the FLUDD? let alone use the 2 in conjunction, even metaknight can be gimped effectively this way, the fludd makes him have to use his shuttle loop which is a pretty easy move to read, and once its caped he has no jumps, i'll show u some vids when i get them off my wii, you really can't be putting mario in low w/out having any knowledge of him at a competetive level.
The very fact that you would bring up Mario vs. Meta Knight proves my point. IN THEORY, Mario can certainly gimp anyone. No one is disputing that. But when discussing a tier list, we are assuming that both players are playing at the absolute pinnacle of current ability with those characters. And if you honestly think even the best Mario is going to get the best Meta Knight off the stage, let alone KEEP him there, you're crazy.

gantrain05

Smash Master
the thing is, mario can gimp MK while staying ON the stage, he doesn't even have to leave the edge of the platform, so theres really no danger in meta gimping him in return, and yes, i have played MANY tourney level DK's theres actually 2 of them at every one of the monthleys i go to, and usually out of 20+ entrants my mario has done very well, i have never lost to a DK, and although i've never won against metaknight, none of the matches were unbeatable, every one was down to last stock and high percents, but instead of just talking about it, if you have a good internet connection i'll gladly play your DK with my mario, so long as lag is minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom