• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The official R.O.B. for SSBB thread

Judge Spear

Smash Cadet
The Super Scope is an accessory that was in SSBM as an item. Wouldn't it be an interesting idea if R.O.B., an NES accessory, is in as a playable character in SSBB? R.O.B. already appears as a selectable character in Mario Kart DS.

For info and pictures of R.O.B., go here: http://www.gamersgraveyard.com/repository/nes/peripherals/rob.html

I can't think of anything like a moveset just yet, but this is will do:

B - Disc Toss: R.O.B. tosses discs which appear on the platform he sits on as an accessory. The discs slide along the ground like a Koopa shell.

The only real problem is making him an effective fighter. His arms don't move at all; he just swivels his upper body around. Perhaps give R.O.B. some advanced abilities typical to robots, like lasers, tractor beams (for grabbing) and ion propulsion thrusters (for jumping).

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
It could work. It's definitely an interesting idea, but like you said, they'd have to beef him up somewhat from his physical NES counterpart.

MeleeMan

Smash Ace
NNID
WilderFTW
3DS FC
2105-9709-5961
Well if they decide to use him they can make him do anything they want. I mean I don't think they'd put him in the game and then make him a completely worthless character...

I take that back, they did it with G&W :p

Shark X

Smash Lord
At first I thought you were going to mention the Star Fox R.O.B., in which case I was going to say Wolf and Krystal will make it before he does.

I'm still hopeing they replace the Ray Gun with the Nintendo Zapper.

Judge Spear

Smash Cadet
Shark X said:
At first I thought you were going to mention the Star Fox R.O.B., in which case I was going to say Wolf and Krystal will make it before he does.

I'm still hopeing they replace the Ray Gun with the Nintendo Zapper.
Topic title changed for clarification.

And the Zapper to replace the Ray Gun is an excellent idea. May not happen because the Zapper looks too much like a real gun, and one of the producers (forgot who) mentioned he did not want to utilize too many realistic-looking weapons.

Slightly off-topic, the Power glove should be a new item. I think of it as like a cybernetic implant that augments characters' attack strength with a noticeable decrease in attack speed. We already have the Bunny Hood in SSBM which enhances movement speed and jumping ability, why not something that enhances strength? Bowser would be deadly with this item. If this generates discussion, I'll edit this post and place it in its own topic.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's funny, they put ROB in the strangest places. They named the Starfox robot after him, and they put him as a racer in Mario Kart DS. I think this would be a wonderful idea (and If G&W has to go, ROB would be a top knotch replacement)

Trjn

Smash Cadet
I don't think he could work as a fighter.

I'd love it if they could pull it off, but he suffers very different limitations then G&W when trying to design moves.

Personally, methinks R.O.B. would be best as an item, something of a cross between a Bob-bomb and the pokemon Marrill, except instead of knocking whoever it hits back, do a lot of damage (or possibly only a reasonable amount of damage :p) by spinning it's arms and possibly flinging NES cartridges.

Actually scratch that, there's too many things already similar to that (think of the pokemon), but the inclusion of R.O.B. in some form would definately be fun, just difficult to pull off in my opinion.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
There are two games that used the ROB accessory. Gyromite and Stack-up. I've never played Stack-up, but Gyromite might be a good place to draw moves from.

Perhaps the character would work like this:

You would control Professor Hector (R.O.B's "Creator" in Gyromite and Stack-up, as seen in the loading screens for Tetris DS) and he would punch and kick and all that stuff, but he would have no B-moves of his own. all of his B moves would be to send commands to the ROB that follows him Ice Climbers style (In a curious switch from Gyromite, where you play as ROB, and Hector is the uncontrollable one), except possibly his UpB, which would be independant from ROB (So as to have a useful recovery move.).

Perhaps Rob would shadow you like Nana and hit enemies along with you, or perhaps he would just follow you around (and not be able to be hit).

Or perhaps, ROB is the controlled one, but he is shadowed by Professor Hector, who is presumably controlling Rob. The catch? ROB cannot be KO'd himself, but the good professor can. Rob is basically one big disjointed hitbox, and if Hector is KO'd you lose the stock, so it would be a double game of protecting the prof and KOing the enemy. Hector should be very light and fastfalling, just for balance sake, so even if you go up against a very good ROB, Hector can be knocked clean away with a few good hits. Would that be Broken, or just the opposite. I don't care, It sounds awesome is what it sounds like.

The Other Wind

Smash Apprentice
Judge Spear said:
The Super Scope is an accessory that was in SSBM as an item. Wouldn't it be an interesting idea if R.O.B., an NES accessory, is in as a playable character in SSBB? R.O.B. already appears as a selectable character in Mario Kart DS.

For info and pictures of R.O.B., go here: http://www.gamersgraveyard.com/repository/nes/peripherals/rob.html

I can't think of anything like a moveset just yet, but this is will do:

B - Disc Toss: R.O.B. tosses discs which appear on the platform he sits on as an accessory. The discs slide along the ground like a Koopa shell.

The only real problem is making him an effective fighter. His arms don't move at all; he just swivels his upper body around. Perhaps give R.O.B. some advanced abilities typical to robots, like lasers, tractor beams (for grabbing) and ion propulsion thrusters (for jumping).
OMG that is one hell of an idea. I ****ing love it. LOVE it.

This proposal should be submitted.

Metaknight X

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy pop up as the new final secret character to unlock, especially if they cut Mr G & W (which they shouldn't). After all, ROB was in the latest Mario Kart (the DS version)

WR3K

Smash Ace
rob would be a cool item, or stage object. he could be like a pokemon, and stack the hell out of your enemy (wut he did in one of his games)

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
ROB is very immobile. As in he can't move.

I say he could be a stage where you fight on top of his discs,
and every now and again he could throw one.

He didn't even have a trophy in Melee

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, lets see. He could move his torso up and down, moves his arms in and out. and he could rotate his torso. That gives him "Punching" and headbutting attacks, as well as a set of flashy spinning smash attacks. Nintendo could probably articulate his arms a little more so he could move them up and down independantly of his body. To walk and jump, he could either have wheels, or he could hover.

For B moves, he could use other NES accessories:

B - Nintendo Zapper - Shoots a beam of light. moves as fast as Samus's charge shots, but are only about as strong as a little weaker than Samus's half-charged shots, and with much less KB.

Foreward B - NES controller - Throws a NES controller out. Touching the controller damages enemies, but the cord does nothing. If you hold down the button, you can brandish the controller around to try and hit enemies (Hopefully easier to control than Sheik's whip). If you smash the move, he might send out the entire NES, in a much slower and stronger attack. Hitting Rob can knock him out of this move.

Down B - Track n Field pad - Rob sets down a Track and Field pad. He can then just leave it there and continiue the fight normally. If an enemy steps on the pad, they will be stunned in a running animation for a few moments. three track pads can be set down at a time.

And two versions of Up+B.

Up B - Power Glove - (This move would be for my ROB + Prof. Hector build where you lose a stock if Hector is KO'd) If you use this move, Hector will put on a power glove and fly towards you damaging anyone in his path. Unfortunately, Hector flies straight for you, so if there are any entironmental barriers, Hector will be caught behind them.

Up B - Rocket Boost - (This version would be for my build where Hector is the A-button agressor and ROB is the B button agressor) Hector climbs onto ROB's back and Rob simply rocket boosts upwards and slightly foreward.

Super move: Stack-up blocks or Gyromite elevators will begin raining down from the sky.

Taunt: Hector sleepwalks for a few moments. Note: If he walks off a ledge, he will act as if he had air-dodged or used his third jump.

Hows that?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
If not ROB then how about Prof. Hector from Gyromite and Stack up. I cant think of any moves but he could do a sleepwalk attack.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
SmashChu said:
If not ROB then how about Prof. Hector from Gyromite and Stack up. I cant think of any moves but he could do a sleepwalk attack.
... Lol, read one post above yours, then read my post on the other page.

magar

Banned via Administration
That would be shocking (Face in shock).........................................................................................................................
Or Wouldn't it (thinking)

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
magar said:
That would be shocking (Face in shock).........................................................................................................................
Or Wouldn't it (thinking)
Wow, you like to say my name a lot. whats up with that?

Another Idea for R.O.B is for him to use things from all the cameos hes done over the years. Kirby, F-zero, Tetris DS, Mario Kart, Starfox(Though this is only a borderline cameo, since that R.O.B is a completely different character). That might open up some possibilities.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Keep the ROB thread alive!

What would his Percent watermark be though? I like the idea of a stick of Dynamite (as in Gyromite game A)

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
Yuck. As soon as I unlocked that thing in Mario Kart DS, I was like, "What the---?"

I didn't know what it was until I read about it on the internet. I would rather he not be a character. An item? I guess. A stage? Nah.

Judge Spear

Smash Cadet
dotdotdot! said:
Keep the ROB thread alive!

What would his Percent watermark be though? I like the idea of a stick of Dynamite (as in Gyromite game A)
Being a robot, I say he should be a fairly heavy character. Bowser would still be the bulkiest character, but I say R.O.B. should be killed in most normal circumstances at 100-110% damage.

EDIT: Ooh, I just had an idea. I forget if the U-Force accessory is Nintendo-made or third party, but R.O.B. could implement that accessory whenever he grabs someone. It makes R.O.B. look like he is using telekinetic powers or a means of matter levitation to pick up his opponents by waving his arms through the U-Force's input matrix.

icymatt

Smash Lord
I would love R.O.B. to be in this game. I mean, he's R.O.B.! They could make a good goofy character out of him.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Judge Spear said:
Being a robot, I say he should be a fairly heavy character. Bowser would still be the bulkiest character, but I say R.O.B. should be killed in most normal circumstances at 100-110% damage.

EDIT: Ooh, I just had an idea. I forget if the U-Force accessory is Nintendo-made or third party, but R.O.B. could implement that accessory whenever he grabs someone. It makes R.O.B. look like he is using telekinetic powers or a means of matter levitation to pick up his opponents by waving his arms through the U-Force's input matrix.
Haha! I forgot about the U-force. Thats a great idea.

So far it seems the best road to take (For me) would be for him to use other Nintendo accessories to attack, while having to deal with a Professor Hector character somehow. ROB would be a fantastic dark horse, like G&W.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630

If they used R.O.B. then he should look like that. He hovers and his arms appear more articulate. I would really like to see R.O.B. in SSBB but, there are other characters probably more deserving.

Suska

Smash Apprentice
SSJ4Kazuki said:
ROB is very immobile. As in he can't move.

I say he could be a stage where you fight on top of his discs,
and every now and again he could throw one.

He didn't even have a trophy in Melee
ROB would make a cool fighter. They could fix the immobile problem by making him hover alittle like Mewtwo.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Kirby's Dreamland 3 had Donbe and Hikari and Gokuu and whoever from two of the NES text adventure games cameo too. Shin Oni Ga Shima and Yuu Yuu Ki respectively, I believe.

My friend and I came up with a ROB moveset years ago for the first SSB, and we thought that it would be cool if he acted like those big final bosses in fighting games that have every move ever (Metal Sonic in Sonic the Fighters, for example). Maybe he could randomly be assigned four B attacks every battle? Make him more versatile, or stupid. Your call :p

Judge Spear

Smash Cadet
FlipTroopa said:
My friend and I came up with a ROB moveset years ago for the first SSB, and we thought that it would be cool if he acted like those big final bosses in fighting games that have every move ever (Metal Sonic in Sonic the Fighters, for example). Maybe he could randomly be assigned four B attacks every battle? Make him more versatile, or stupid. Your call :p
I love that idea. It'd be almost like Kirby. I still think adding robot-like abilities, like lasers and tractor beams, would make him really cool.

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
If you have Mario Kart DS, you can see that ROB has caterpillar tracks, so he is not immobile.

parrothead

Smash Lord
The Power Glove is owned by Mattel, not Nintendo. Also, does anyone know about R.O.B. appearing in StarTropics 1 as Nav-Com?

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Yeah, Nav-Com and ROB looked pretty similar, but I wouldn't say it was dead-on. The reference was there, totally, but Nav-Com and ROB only shared the head, primarily.

The boss in Sector Y of Star Fox 64 is supposedly a beta version of ROB, and in F-Zero GX there's a track with a giant ROB in the background moving building materials.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
I cant see ROB as a character. Maybe he could be in the backround or something. For some reason, I can see him as the Lottery thing.

NukeA6

Smash Master
As an item or character, ROB would be cool. He could work even as a boss.

If he's a character, he'll be the only one who hasn't really starred in a game (unless you count F-Zero G-X and all the Star Fox games after the first one.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
NukeA6 said:
As an item or character, ROB would be cool. He could work even as a boss.

If he's a character, he'll be the only one who hasn't really starred in a game (unless you count F-Zero G-X and all the Star Fox games after the first one.
He was a playable character in Mario Kart DS.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
NukeA6 said:
If he's a character, he'll be the only one who hasn't really starred in a game
Yes he has. Technically he's the star of Gyromite and the sequel, Stack-up, Along with Professor Hector. You control him with your controller, thus he is a "playable Character." Also, As someone said, He's a racer in Mario Kart.

I want him as a character! He could work Darnit!

parrothead

Smash Lord
Player 2 controls Professor Vector, who is dressed up in orange. Gyromite is also known as Robot Gyro, and Stack-Up is also known as Robot Block.

Top Bottom