• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The official R.O.B. for SSBB thread

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
parrothead said:
Player 2 controls Professor Vector, who is dressed up in orange. Gyromite is also known as Robot Gyro, and Stack-Up is also known as Robot Block.
Thats only one of the game modes. In another, the player controls both R.O.B and Hector to defuse dynamite, not to mention the infamous "sleepwalk" game, where you control R.O.B to control the elevators and things blocking Hector's path to keep him out of danger.

parrothead

Smash Lord
dotdotdot! said:
Thats only one of the game modes. In another, the player controls both R.O.B and Hector to defuse dynamite, not to mention the infamous "sleepwalk" game, where you control R.O.B to control the elevators and things blocking Hector's path to keep him out of danger.
Professor Vector isn't a game mode, he is Player 2's character to control. Also, Professor Hector isn't suitable enough to fight, because he can't jump high enough.

NOTE: Professor Hector is wearing white, and Professor Vector is wearing orange.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
parrothead said:
Professor Vector isn't a game mode, he is Player 2's character to control. Also, Professor Hector isn't suitable enough to fight, because he can't jump high enough.

NOTE: Professor Hector is wearing white, and Professor Vector is wearing orange.
I think we're having two different conversations here. I don't care who player 2 controls, and I never did. (And for the record, 2-player mode IS a game mode, thanks)

And for the record, thats a silly reason for Hector not being playable.

Answer: Make him jump higher in Smash Bros.

Honestly, WHY don't People (Not you Parrothead, I'm adressing the entire thread now) want R.O.B as a character? He's a nintendo character, He is "playable" in his two games, he's a part of Nintendo's history, He's got places to draw moves from, He IS mobile (Or they can make him mobile), He's a hilarious in-joke among people who know video games, and he could have a very VERY fun, engaging playstyle when using one of my ideas in previous posts. Why make him a trophy or an Item and completely obliterate that when you could make him a Player Character? It just doesn't make sense to me!

I'm sorry, but people on the internet make me crazy. :dizzy:

Azukki

Smash Apprentice
As a character, he would hardly work, he would move oddly, jump oddly, and attacks seem just ridiculous for the little robot.
It could be done. But in honesty, it's unlikely.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Azukki said:
As a character, he would hardly work, unless he had his ROB LGS from MKDS, to, well, move. he would be an... akward character. but, I wouldn't put something that surprising past nintendo, I simply didn't see him coming in MKDS, and I think SSBB may have a few good surprizes left.

He'd make a better stage though....
This would also make for a good new f-zero stage.

How so? In F-zero GX, in one of the stages, there was a giant ROB-like construction robot. I think it was stacking storage containers, or something.

well, the stage could have ROB in the back, somewhat like kraid in the melee stage, stacking things. maybe he could also shoot lasers at you and trap you with tractor beams and stuff.

that'd be a cool stage....
Do I have to repost my ideas for the R.O.B/Hector character combo? Must I? Really?

Alright then, here:

This is how a R.O.B the Robot character could work.

R.O.B the Robot
There are two games that used the ROB accessory. Gyromite and Stack-up. I've never played Stack-up, but Gyromite might be a good place to draw moves from.

Perhaps the character would work like this:

You would control Professor Hector (R.O.B's "Creator" in Gyromite and Stack-up, as seen in the loading screens for Tetris DS) and he would punch and kick and all that stuff, but he would have no B-moves of his own. all of his B moves would be to send commands to the ROB that follows him Ice Climbers style (In a curious switch from Gyromite, where you play as ROB, and Hector is the uncontrollable one), except possibly his UpB, which would be independant from ROB (So as to have a useful recovery move.).

Perhaps Rob would shadow you like Nana and hit enemies along with you, or perhaps he would just follow you around (and not be able to be hit).

Or perhaps, ROB is the controlled one, but he is shadowed by Professor Hector, who is presumably controlling Rob. The catch? ROB cannot be KO'd himself, but the good professor can. Rob is basically one big disjointed hitbox that can be knocked about, and if Hector is KO'd you lose the stock, so it would be a double game of protecting the prof and KOing the enemy. Hector should be very light and fastfalling, just for balance sake, so even if you go up against a very good ROB, Hector can be knocked clean away with a few good hits. Would that be Broken, or just the opposite? I don't care, It sounds awesome is what it sounds like.
and

Well, lets see. He could move his torso up and down, moves his arms in and out. and he could rotate his torso. That gives him "Punching" and headbutting attacks, as well as a set of flashy spinning smash attacks. Nintendo could probably articulate his arms a little more so he could move them up and down independantly of his body. To walk and jump, he could either have wheels, or he could hover.

For B moves, he could use other NES accessories:

B - Nintendo Zapper - Shoots a beam of light. moves as fast as Samus's charge shots, but are only about as strong as a little weaker than Samus's half-charged shots, and with much less KB.

Foreward B - NES controller - Throws a NES controller out. Touching the controller damages enemies, but the cord does nothing. If you hold down the button, you can brandish the controller around to try and hit enemies (Hopefully easier to control than Sheik's whip). If you smash the move, he might send out the entire NES, in a much slower and stronger attack. Hitting Rob can knock him out of this move.

Down B - Track n Field pad - Rob sets down a Track and Field pad. He can then just leave it there and continiue the fight normally. If an enemy steps on the pad, they will be stunned in a running animation for a few moments. three track pads can be set down at a time.

And two versions of Up+B.

Up B - Power Glove - (This move would be for my ROB + Prof. Hector build where you lose a stock if Hector is KO'd) If you use this move, Hector will put on a power glove and fly towards you damaging anyone in his path. Unfortunately, Hector flies straight for you, so if there are any entironmental barriers, Hector will be caught behind them.

Up B - Rocket Boost - (This version would be for my build where Hector is the A-button agressor and ROB is the B button agressor) Hector climbs onto ROB's back and Rob simply rocket boosts upwards and slightly foreward.

Super move: Stack-up blocks or Gyromite elevators will begin raining down from the sky.

Taunt: Hector sleepwalks for a few moments. Note: If he walks off a ledge, he will act as if he had air-dodged or used his third jump.

Hows that?
Hows that indeed? Since the Power Glove is apparently owned by Mattel, then we could just replace it with a generic jetpack. That is only ONE way Rob could work. People have been spouting more reasons for the entire thread. Read!

Edit: Alright, you edited your post to a (borderline) acceptable criticism before I could de-rep you, But I'm keeping my post the same to prove my point.

Judge Spear

Smash Cadet
I just had a wacky idea for R.O.B.'s Brawl super move.

Pixellate: R.O.B. casts an energy beam that converts his opponents into 8-bit pixellated versions of themselves (Mario into his NES SMB1 form, Link into his Zelda: The Adventure of Link form, etc.). During this time, the pixellated opponents lose their B movesets (except their Up-B recoveries, if they have them) and take extra damage from attacks. The effect wears off in time.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Alright, I just played Gyromite, and it's a fantastic game (Especially on a ROM, where you can easily control both controllers). I also read about how it would work with a R.O.B unit attached. This leads even more credence to the build I created where Prof. Hector is the one controlled, except even moreso. I think it would even be better if you controlled the good professor, but all of your A-moves and most of your Bs are performed by R.O.B, so it would become a game about positioning yourself to fully Maximize R.O.B's positioning to maximise the damage, while also backing him up with some of the Prof's few moves.

Also, perhaps for this build (Where you control Hector) Your Down B could become a sort of Carging Tackle performed by R.O.B that would be useful in maximizing spacing between ROB and the enemy.

Then again, that whole build could just be incredibly messy. Neat idea, but on the whole, I'm more behind my "Control R.O.B protect the Professor" build where he uses other Nintendo Peripherals.

Oh! and I also thought up a cool Super Move. He disappears and turns the stage into a big Gyromite stage. A button raises and lowers the Blue elevators and the B button raises and lowers the Red elevators. You try to crush players who walk over and under the elevators, while they have to adapt to the new terrain. It would only last a short while of course.

There you go.

1338h4x

Smash Apprentice
Oh man, putting ROB in Brawl would be awesome. He'd probably be pretty low tier *coughG&Wcough*, but he'd make up for it in awesomeness.

icymatt

Smash Lord
There was another R.O.B. thread around, and I posted a moveset in there. Here it is again:

Stats:
Power-High
Speed-Low
Jump-Low
Size-Mid
Weight-High

*Note: R.O.B. starts without any of his attachments.Using his special attacks causes him to change 'set-up', and he stays in that set-up until he uses a another special attack that changes his set-up. His attacks are the same no matter what set-up he has, although it's quite possible that some moves will be slightly more damaging in one mode or another.

B=Gyromite A -Changes to Gyromite set-up. Picks up one of the spinning gyros and lobs it like a boomerang

<>B=Stack-Up(Direct) - Changes to Stack-Up set-up. Charge, and then release and R.O.B. begins rapidly spinning. Like the Yoshi's Egg Roll, it's a bit hard to control but is fairly damaging and and can toss opponents like Jigglypuff's Rollout.

/\B=Gyromite B -Changes to Gyromite set-up. R.O.B. and his gyros begin spinning and he quickly launches upward(Comparable to a drill attack). Low chance that R.O.B. will explode and fly up really fast, like the Luigi Missle.

\/B=Stack-Up(Memory) -Changes to Stack-Up set-up. A tower of colored blocks fall from the sky and damages anyone in their path. If R.O.B. can catch the stack before it hits the stage, press \/B again to add them to his trays and make his Stack-Up(Direct) attack more damaging(I think this could only be done once, and if this method is done while he has blocks already on his trays, the new blocks would replace the old ones). R.O.B.'s trays reset every time he switches from Stack-Up mode to Gyromite mode.

Super: Professor Hector appears and starts dropping dynamite around the field, which all explode like Bob-Ombs. After dropping around 5 sets, Hector dissapears.

Super_Cool

Smash Journeyman
I don't really want R.O.B since he technically didn't start out as a video game character. I'll be happy if he's a trophy, though.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't really want R.O.B since he technically didn't start out as a video game character. I'll be happy if he's a trophy, though.
Technically he did. He wasn't a character on the screen, but the story of his game involve him as a character. He was invented by Professor Hector, and now Hector's lab is overrun by Monsters, and dynamite has been set about everywhere. Now Hector has to collect Dynamite and ROB (With your help) has to keep hector out of trouble with the monsters.

He is at once a character controllable via a Video-game controller, and a character with a name, personality, and his own built-in abilities to his name. That, plus, he actually appeared on screen later in cameos, as did Prof. Hector. He is totally eligible.

icymatt

Smash Lord
They put the Super Scope in as an item. They seem to consider accessories apart of Nintendo history as well.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Considering how Nintendo is putting R.O.B. in all thse cameos and easter eggs (Mario Kart DS, F-Zero GX, WarioWare), I would be suprised if R.O.B WASN'T in Brawl in any shape or form, but a character seems most likely ;)

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
There was another R.O.B. thread around, and I posted a moveset in there. Here it is again:

Stats:
Power-High
Speed-Low
Jump-Low
Size-Mid
Weight-High

*Note: R.O.B. starts without any of his attachments.Using his special attacks causes him to change 'set-up', and he stays in that set-up until he uses a another special attack that changes his set-up. His attacks are the same no matter what set-up he has, although it's quite possible that some moves will be slightly more damaging in one mode or another.

B=Gyromite A -Changes to Gyromite set-up. Picks up one of the spinning gyros and lobs it like a boomerang

<>B=Stack-Up(Direct) - Changes to Stack-Up set-up. Charge, and then release and R.O.B. begins rapidly spinning. Like the Yoshi's Egg Roll, it's a bit hard to control but is fairly damaging and and can toss opponents like Jigglypuff's Rollout.

/\B=Gyromite B -Changes to Gyromite set-up. R.O.B. and his gyros begin spinning and he quickly launches upward(Comparable to a drill attack). Low chance that R.O.B. will explode and fly up really fast, like the Luigi Missle.

\/B=Stack-Up(Memory) -Changes to Stack-Up set-up. A tower of colored blocks fall from the sky and damages anyone in their path. If R.O.B. can catch the stack before it hits the stage, press \/B again to add them to his trays and make his Stack-Up(Direct) attack more damaging(I think this could only be done once, and if this method is done while he has blocks already on his trays, the new blocks would replace the old ones). R.O.B.'s trays reset every time he switches from Stack-Up mode to Gyromite mode.

Super: Professor Hector appears and starts dropping dynamite around the field, which all explode like Bob-Ombs. After dropping around 5 sets, Hector dissapears.
o.O That's an AWESOME movest. A character that can restock his ammunition, basically, over time? And it's ROB? That's totally an idea you need to send to Sakurai. He'd be all over it!

squaminator

Smash Ace
i'd like to see him as a character where he has to defend Hector, or with a stage that has Hector in the background. I've never played the games, but listen to my suggestion please ;)

mmm. defender. make him at least as mobile as mario, and hector a bit slower. Hector acts as a grounded constantly desynched nana (meaning that he does not copy R.O.B. but is always trying to catch up with him, and his AI gets better as he gets more %). R.O.B. would die if hector does, and vice versa. R.O.B. can do certain synched moves (dynamite similar to IC neutral b), and so the game becomes like defend and attack at the same time. there could also be a couple moves that hector does by himself that the player can control.

hector does have a dj similar to yoshi's if knocked off.
whaddya think?

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Bumptastic.

As for content, I've played Stack-up. It's not a very good game, and seeing as how I don't have a R.O.B unit, was sort of a pointless exercise.

R.O.B for Brawl.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
And here I was so convinced that he would be Brawl's "Game and Watch" character...

It's still kind of cool that they worked him into the game somehow, though. The more random Nintendo influences they can work into the story, the better.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's nuts that the Subspace Army took control of the R.O.B.s. Makes me wonder if the Great Fox may get hijacked by those robots too.
ROB didn't originate from Star Fox

He was an accessory to the NES that was used in one game...Gyromite

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Ok, I'm going to make a prediction that Prof. Hector will be playable, and his moves will involve R.O.B.

Prob not, but it was on my wanted list from years ago...and it had Zero suit Samus on it...

PkunkFury

Smash Cadet
No one with new speculation about a move set for ROB? I like icymatt's quite a bit, with the changing configurations. I also like the idea of involving Prof Hector somehow. I never played the game so i don't know how it would work. maybe he controls ROB like Pokemon Trainer in the background?

Chepe

Smash Lord
Yeah, I can see Prof. Hector working in the background while R.O.B. fights.

Also, heres my take on R.O.B.'s subspace role: This playable R.O.B. is an improved design than that of the R.O.B. Squad minions. Larger and more adaptable into what we see in a playable character. The story is that the Subspace Army stole Prof Hectors' first completed R.O.B. blueprints and used them to mass produce those R.O.B. Squad generic ones.

Seeing that they are being used for evil (detonating them bombs), Prof. Hector develops and refines his original R.O.B. design into the playable one to combat the Subspace Army. What do you all thinkl?

Top Bottom