• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The *Official* Pittsburgh Melee Weeklies Thread of the LoL WoW Love

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
ppl should come tomm. I'll hold another tourney.

Rose, do the smash bros tourney stuff start @ 12pm next sat? I have a job interview that ends @ noon and so I hope it does not. In the case that smash stuff starts @ noon is there a way that you can delay it or @ least have doubles start b4 singles? I really wanna get out there to compete.

Rose

Smash Journeyman
we were actually trying to decide upon a day/time. Originally it was friday, but currently we are looking at saturday.

As for the time, I was thinking 3pm for singles. It can definitely shift around, though. We might do multiple tournies and teams if there is demand.

Is there smash at duquesne tomorrow?

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
we were actually trying to decide upon a day/time. Originally it was friday, but currently we are looking at saturday.

As for the time, I was thinking 3pm for singles. It can definitely shift around, though. We might do multiple tournies and teams if there is demand.

Is there smash at duquesne tomorrow?
yea cmu is back so there may be more ppl u havent faced yet.

yo matt/rob dont one of y'all have the 3rd pair of component cables?

someone bring component cables tomm too.

4 THOSE GOING TO THE PRELEASE, DONT FACE THE KID WITH THE BOMBSQUAD HAT.....YOU'LL GET ***** DAYUM!!!!!!!

TheLake

Smash Master
4 THOSE GOING TO THE PRELEASE, DONT FACE THE KID WITH THE BOMBSQUAD HAT.....YOU'LL GET ***** DAYUM!!!!!!!
*Writes down* Got it and also i heard to steer clear of some hip youngster with an awsome twighlight princess game cube...heard hes nothing but trouble :evil:

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I'm thinking about going to this. I just need to know how much would it cost me to get there from N.Y. And how to get there.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
ahem... there isn't a player in the entire world who would **** me in a limited format, I hold my own with pros on a weekly basis, -_-. (P.S. what's his name?)

In more smash related news, I'll be there early tomorrow, when is the earliest that people will be around? (hooray for no class on Fridays)

DickChang

Smash Journeyman
omg dark.pch. I have to go tomorow now.
btw, do you realize that pittsburgh is on the far west of pennsylvania? both the bus and train will take you 7-8 hours to get here from NYC. greyhound will cost you around 90 bucks roundtrip and amtrak will cost 60+.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
omg dark.pch. I have to go tomorow now.
btw, do you realize that pittsburgh is on the far west of pennsylvania? both the bus and train will take you 7-8 hours to get here from NYC. greyhound will cost you around 90 bucks roundtrip and amtrak will cost 60+.
Ello.

Aww really? Dang thats alot I did not think it would be like that. Guess I cant go to this after all.

DickChang

Smash Journeyman
haha yeah I figured. well its good to hear from you anyway. I live in central jersey during college breaks so maybe if I'm adventurous enough to go to the city for a tourny we'll play.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Good to hear from me? I wdid not know I was heard from in the first place.

And sure that sounds good. I can travel to N.J as well.

DickChang

Smash Journeyman
well I try to be friendly. and plus, judging from your videos and your peach video thread, I'd say you're probably better than I am. which reminds me, I should record some new videos of my peach.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
ahem... there isn't a player in the entire world who would **** me in a limited format, I hold my own with pros on a weekly basis, -_-. (P.S. what's his name?)

In more smash related news, I'll be there early tomorrow, when is the earliest that people will be around? (hooray for no class on Fridays)
between 2-3 is when the majority gets there.

rose what time u plan on coming(if u are) i'll try to wait for you if u wanna get in on the small tourney we'll probly have. we'll probly have a max total @ about 3-4 pm and i'd like to start by then @ least.

xyt

Smash Lord
I will be getting there around 2:30pm and will be looking to do those MMs too.
I also hope the tourny kicks off between 3~4 no later. I can't stay too long = /

TheLake

Smash Master
I cant make it today but im hoping to scrounge up ma butler crew and own next weekend (;

Oh and hi drk peach. Shame you couldnt come (I would have found a way if you could) but its nice to hear from such a notable peach player.

Rose

Smash Journeyman
You might as well start the tourney w/o me. If I get a ride, I'll be there around 5, and if I take the bus I'll be there anywhere from 3-6 lol.

D20

Smash Lord
If we do pools, we can start the tournment around 4 and just add people as they come. Everyone doesn't have to be there at the start.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
You might as well start the tourney w/o me. If I get a ride, I'll be there around 5, and if I take the bus I'll be there anywhere from 3-6 lol.
D= okey dokey, i'll still be there to play etc and im sure other will be too.

D= WE NEEDS SETUPS, PREFERABLY THE 3RD PAIR OF CONPONNET CABLES THAT HAVE BEEN MIA >_>

xyt

Smash Lord
hmmm... i dont think starting pools at 4 would necessarily help/get more ppl to enter... i think we'll be better off just starting around 3 or 3:30..

xyt

Smash Lord
soooo.. OGS FINALLY e-mailed me back as to whether or not non-cmu smashers can enter the tournament...
and the answer is YES!!! all of pittsburtgh smash may enter!
but um.. something that i don't get at all....
is that they said..
"Must be a student to win a prize at least."
Honestly i have no clue what that means...
like the prizes are 50, 30, 20 dollar gift certificates to gamestop...
does that mean if swift wins... he has to give his 50$ prize to 2nd place?.. that sounds really lame..

anyways... it's a 1v1 tourny held at CMU's University Center's UC Conan Room tonight..
there will be free food or something (likely to be pizza)
and there is no entrance fee..
double elimination bracket..
i don't know if it's mlg rules but i'll try to make sure they run it that way as i did the last time they had crews ^-')
sooo~ myself/wes/anon need and want pound 3 practice so if you guys try n make it out that'll be great~~!
201-916-5369. call me if you get lost
pce~!

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
soooo.. OGS FINALLY e-mailed me back as to whether or not non-cmu smashers can enter the tournament...
and the answer is YES!!! all of pittsburtgh smash may enter!
but um.. something that i don't get at all....
is that they said..
"Must be a student to win a prize at least."
Honestly i have no clue what that means...
like the prizes are 50, 30, 20 dollar gift certificates to gamestop...
does that mean if swift wins... he has to give his 50$ prize to 2nd place?.. that sounds really lame..

anyways... it's a 1v1 tourny held at CMU's University Center's UC Conan Room tonight..
there will be free food or something (likely to be pizza)
and there is no entrance fee..
double elimination bracket..
i don't know if it's mlg rules but i'll try to make sure they run it that way as i did the last time they had crews ^-')
sooo~ myself/wes/anon need and want pound 3 practice so if you guys try n make it out that'll be great~~!
201-916-5369. call me if you get lost
pce~!
I am a student. they just dont want some guy who isnt in college to win. like these are college held events for college students thats how events like this @ my school are too

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
y'all probly dont understand but I felt so bad when I first walked in, shiek pointed me out to a friend and was like "thats him!"....then he goes, "Why are these guys here?"

Like I kinda ruined pitt anime clubs perspective of this game(like they dont hold mlg-ish tourneys anymore) and alot of pitt smash in general. Like they lost complete interest when I won like 3 in a row. And I didn't wanna see that @ cmu. Like I don't wanna have less people show up because "oh swift is pro" or make it less fun for others. I just don't wanna be looked @ as some tourney*** robot who just plays for the money and has no life because hes really good.( rly dislike that stereotype of videogame players)

perhaps I acted like too much of a n00b but i blame shiek for pointing me out to ppl......

I probly sound like m2k right now(johning when I win) but w/e @ least it isnt like taking up the whole page.

xyt

Smash Lord
I don't think it's that much of a fault to tell a curious friend or two about what the competition is like.
especially when the question is "who is better than you shiek?" or "who do you think will win?"
in any event, i'll be more careful if that bothers you. i did not know. my bad.

Shoutouts==
@Swift great as usual
@Wes i hope you know that took every nerve in my body. i could barely stand afterwards lol..
@Taki finally got to play you for the first time in months.. great stuff as always!
@Wiseley props for making 4th @_@).. you have surprised us all..
@Jay yea.. that match almost gave me a heart attack..
@.... i'm to sleep to continue...

Standings==
1. Swiftbass
2. XYT
3. Wesley
4. Wiseley
5. Jay
5. Taki
7. heY niveK
this is all i remember..

GOOD JOB EVERYONE!! it was fun considering everything lol

PS. Commentaries are epic....

heynivek

Smash Apprentice
Swift, you showing up doesn't really ruin other people's experience, there's already a decent group of competitive cmu players that consistently show up to these events, so its to be expected. But I understand, I'd feel bad if i won a tournament I wasn't directly invited to.

Yeah, really fun tournament though, one of the most fun i've ever been to. Mostly because of the awesome ppl who were there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZZUMjoxfZA

^this is where all of our "terminology" comes from. crazy MvC commentator. I understand most of them i think, except maybe "pringles" "scoops haagen daas" and "curly mustache"

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
y'all probly dont understand but I felt so bad when I first walked in, shiek pointed me out to a friend and was like "thats him!"....then he goes, "Why are these guys here?"

Like I kinda ruined pitt anime clubs perspective of this game(like they dont hold mlg-ish tourneys anymore) and alot of pitt smash in general. Like they lost complete interest when I won like 3 in a row. And I didn't wanna see that @ cmu. Like I don't wanna have less people show up because "oh swift is pro" or make it less fun for others. I just don't wanna be looked @ as some tourney*** robot who just plays for the money and has no life because hes really good.( rly dislike that stereotype of videogame players)

perhaps I acted like too much of a n00b but i blame shiek for pointing me out to ppl......

I probly sound like m2k right now(johning when I win) but w/e @ least it isnt like taking up the whole page.
I don't think it's that much of a fault to tell a curious friend or two about what the competition is like.
especially when the question is "who is better than you shiek?" or "who do you think will win?"
in any event, i'll be more careful if that bothers you. i did not know. my bad.
Ok, so here's the thing: I don't feel like either of you handled this stuff particularly well last.

Shiek, you shouldn't come into a tournament and start telling everyone who you think is best and who will win etc, cause it makes people feel uncomfortable when they meet someone that has immediately been identified as better at this game than them. It just changes the whole social dynamic from "hey this is a cool dude I'm playing smash with" to "holy **** this guy is unbelievable, I want to ask him questions, etc" Basically, you need to take a different attitude when it comes to introducing people and when it comes to giving your opinion. When introducing someone, don't go overboard on telling everyone how good they are because it results in the above dynamic. It's ok to tell people who you think will win a match if they ask you, but just be low key about it. For example, if some random guy was like, "hey sheik, these guys are really good, who do you think will win?", it's ok for you to be like, "well, they play together all the time and Swift is good at Fox dittos, so I think he's probably going to win", that's fine, just don't go overboard with the hero-worshiping on Swift and don't tell people exactly who you think the best group of players in Pittsburgh is because it sounds arrogant and pretentious.

Swift, you're good, you know it, you don't have to hide it. Stop being afraid of being a tourney f@g and just man up and be yourself. I'm not saying that your a tourney f@g, I'm saying that anyone who hangs out with you at all knows that your not, so stop trying to sandbag people when your talking to them cause then you come off as even more of an *** when you **** us all. Just be your humble self. Someone asks you if you're as good as me and Sheik, don't say "na, Wesley's better than me," and play dumb, just be like, "I dunno, I play with them a lot and I think we're all pretty good," or whatever you want to say. I'm guessing the entire Pitt Anime club were casual players and they felt so outclassed and helpless vs you that it sort of ruined their world. You can't let that bring you down for future stuff, because OGS takes a much more reasonable approach to good players because CMU smashers really seem to enjoy watching higher level play (because they can appreciate what goes into what you're doing), and because they are legitimately interested in getting better. All I'm trying to say to you is that there's nothing wrong with being yourself and just letting other people make their judgements on you, because you'd be surprised how much people (even smash n00bs) will like you for just that.

Anyway, I love you both (no homo ;)), but I just feel the need to say something because last night was sorta uncomfortable when it should've just been a blast (I had too much fun). Good **** to both of you for getting 1st and 2nd.

PS. Eugene is my hero.

D20

Smash Lord
You guys are just lucky dead-aim didn't show up.

In other news, Matt got 2nd in his flight at the MTG event.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
kevinyeh, why havent I seen that yet where has it been all my life..........omg.....thats favorited and its priceless....holy ****.

ima be on that **** for like a month now....u;ve created a monster, one that will spam the phrase "**** the knicks ALL DAY"....?"MAG ****EN NETO, where ur curly mustache @?"

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
Swift, you showing up doesn't really ruin other people's experience, there's already a decent group of competitive cmu players that consistently show up to these events, so its to be expected. But I understand, I'd feel bad if i won a tournament I wasn't directly invited to.

Yeah, really fun tournament though, one of the most fun i've ever been to. Mostly because of the awesome ppl who were there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZZUMjoxfZA

^this is where all of our "terminology" comes from. crazy MvC commentator. I understand most of them i think, except maybe "pringles" "scoops haagen daas" and "curly mustache"
**** THE KNICKS!

Top Bottom