• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The *Official* Pittsburgh Melee Weeklies Thread of the LoL WoW Love

__HARM__

Smash Journeyman
i'll team with you, not with samus though and we'll own, now that robs been back i have been getten in so much more play.

A-Laon

Smash Master
This topic has gone without discussion for awhile now. I gotta catch up -- did I have somebody giving me a ride that I've totally forgotten about / been completely unaware of, or do I need to start looking?

__HARM__

Smash Journeyman
Does Anyone Want To Smash At My House Today? I Live On 125 Grienbrier Dr. Carnegie Pa, 15106. Pm Me For Me Number If Interested

pockyD

Smash Legend
the trip to pound is a touch over 600 miles
friday - pick everyone up, go to kevin yeh
saturday - round trip from kevin yeh and venue
sunday - kevin yeh's to venue to dropping everyone home

i have two cars possible

one is a small car (acura integra) with better gas mileage (probably 25 with 4 people in the car)

other is larger (honda cr-v) with probably a bit under 20 mpg with 4 in the car

gas is $2.90/gallon

also some very small amount of time on the nj turnpike, plus a more significant toll to go into maryland (or was it delaware?) on that bridge iirc, so that's about an extra dollar or two per person

edit:
given assumptions...
600 miles
20 mpg
$3 / gallon (currently a bit under 3 in NJ, a bit over 3 in DC)

$90, plus a bit for tolls, so that makes

a bit under $25 per person

Na!l

Smash Journeyman
Blah, theres no way Im goin to that.

What other stuff is coming up?
Also, I have a half day of school friday, so I can definatly make it to Boos place.

D20

Smash Lord
In case anyone was doubting how good Sliq's Jigglypuff is... he beat Camper Bob and Vidjo (back to back) in sets at the CoK tourney. He lost to Tink.

We got to get back to Ohio... I'll check the Midwest threads.

A-Laon

Smash Master
In case anyone was doubting how good Sliq's Jigglypuff is... he beat Camper Bob and Vidjo (back to back) in sets at the CoK tourney. He lost to Tink.

We got to get back to Ohio... I'll check the Midwest threads.
I must say I have a lot of respect for Sliq as a smasher. Hopefully I'll get to play him again sometime.

And let me know when you find something in Ohio. I have unfinished business with Drephen. :rolleyes:

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
He did a little, but all the pros are switching to Marth right now it seems. Honestly, his Marth is much better than his Fox right now. I heard that at MLG, he basicaly only used marth and PC refused to use Falco vs. him because he was tired of getting 0-deathed, so the entire set was PC (Captain Falcon) vs. M2K (Marth). Honestly, Marth is top teir.

The only good story I have about his Fox is when he was 4 stocking Blue Link with Sheik and Marth for like 10 straight games and then Blue Link was like, "Man, I can't play against any of this *****'s characters, why don't you play some I can fight. Like Fox or Falco or something." Then M2K waveshined the fvck out of him for another 4 or 5 4-stockings. I just remember 1 stock where he did FH dair -> shine ->waveshine ->waveshine -> waveshine -> reverse drillshine -> waveshine -> etc -> usmash at like 100%, it was pretty nasty. Fox ***** Link.

Oh, and then they Doc dittoed and M2k was ledge-canceling taunts somehow. . . WTF!?!?!

A-Laon

Smash Master
Ok, I really freakin' need to do something soon. Anybody game to do something this weekend?

All this recent dead time has taken a serious toll on my concern for the game...

Nakamaru

Smash Master
Thats insane... I wish i could have seen PC's falcon vs M2k marth.

I feel kinda bad for blue link cause endless 4 stockings with no end in sight is just... ouch. Wish i could've had the chance to get pwnd by him and learn some new stuff. Ah well, its back to vids for me.

rallykupo

Smash Rookie
Does anyone have much info about the gaming scene here in pittsburgh? Tournaments, what games are the most popular, where the hotspots are, etc.

I'm in my crappy electronic design class right now, and we have to make a newsletter thing. Teacher didn't like most of my ideas, so now I'm doing it on the gaming scene in pittsburgh. I just hope there's enough of one. It has to be 8 pages long, so any kind of info would be great. The game I'd like to focus on the most is Smash Bros. Melee, but any kind of competitive game will be fine.

Copy and pasted goodness, but I figured maybe someone here might know something that could help. Are there many local smash tournaments in or around pittsburgh anymore? Suburbs would be fine too. I'm interested not only because of my homework assignment, but I've recently started playing Smash yet again(off and on for the last 5 years). I'm not too bad and I've won a few local tournaments, but I'd love to play against some new people sometime.

takieddine

Smash Master
Theres enough of a scene here to fit 8 pages i would think, just ask Alaon to let you borrow some ridiculous quotes. :)

Unfortunately though, during summer, we're not as active as you might have hoped, since many of the players here are college students from out of town.

Na!l

Smash Journeyman
@rallykupo (and if he gives a response thats like...5 words long, tell him it makes too much sense)

Im all set for BooThunder's this friday. Anyone goin who mains or plays a better Falco than me? Naka, Alan, or Wes are the only people I can think of off the top of my head. I think I remember HARM saying he was playing Falco more.

I'm prety sure shizzing is when you go from a shine to an arial instantly. If so, is it possible to shiz from the ground? I can do it somewhat consistantly from the double jump, but it seems like it takes longer to get into the air from the ground jump, thus I cant do it from the ground. And if what I am describing is not shizzing, than what is? Thanks

A-Laon

Smash Master
@rallykupo (and if he gives a response thats like...5 words long, tell him it makes too much sense)

Im all set for BooThunder's this friday. Anyone goin who mains or plays a better Falco than me? Naka, Alan, or Wes are the only people I can think of off the top of my head. I think I remember HARM saying he was playing Falco more.

I'm prety sure shizzing is when you go from a shine to an arial instantly. If so, is it possible to shiz from the ground? I can do it somewhat consistantly from the double jump, but it seems like it takes longer to get into the air from the ground jump, thus I cant do it from the ground. And if what I am describing is not shizzing, than what is? Thanks
Shizzing is an insanely fast shine-to-aerial transition utilizing the faster JC of the analog stick and the lessened jump lag in the air. It is simply performing a shine in the air, using the analog stick to jump out of it near-instantly and then transitioning immediately into an aerial (either c-stick or A button, doesn't matter). It HAS to be done in the air and you MUST use the analog stick for it to be fast enough. Once you're consistent with it, it's, imo, an indispensable combo finisher (and hell, used properly it can elongate certain combos). Personally, ever since I've integrated it into my style, I don't know how I ever went without.

EDIT: Oh and yeah. I'll try to get to Boo's this Friday.

A-Laon

Smash Master
And make sure it's set in stone the night before... not an hour before it begins. I mean, it would really suck if people showed up and there was a sudden unexpected change in the schedule and they had to wait at their dads' office for 5 hours before they could get a ride home.

Oh, and let's try to limit the nubsauce friends and Hyrule Temple FFAs, okaysies? :p

Na!l

Smash Journeyman
ok, thanks for clearing that up. Ill practice being more consistant with it, but I doubt Ill have that down by friday

Na!l

Smash Journeyman
ahem...YUP! ICs just arnt working for me besides the occasional goof off match. Kirby is just.....no. My peach refuses to get any better, hopefully she will when I play you guys again. Though I'm also making a return to Marth, which was my first main way back when I played my first smash/DDR tournament in cranberry. I met GGPD and got destroyed by Keer. I did good in DDR tho. ^_^

So yea, I could some tips...another quick question. Which has more priority? Falcos Bair or Nair?

rallykupo

Smash Rookie
That would be great A-Laon. I didn't mention it before but I was thinking I could throw in a page long interview or something along those lines. I'll go stalk you on AIM sometime and ask lots of revealing questions about your personal life. ^_^

I live in the suburbs(moon if anyone's heard of it), but I'm in town most days for school and that's where my gf lives. I already have plans for this friday, but maybe I can crash one of your shindigs sometime. I'll probably get owned, but playing with people >>> playing with computers.

A-Laon

Smash Master
ahem...YUP! ICs just arnt working for me besides the occasional goof off match. Kirby is just.....no. My peach refuses to get any better, hopefully she will when I play you guys again. Though I'm also making a return to Marth, which was my first main way back when I played my first smash/DDR tournament in cranberry. I met GGPD and got destroyed by Keer. I did good in DDR tho. ^_^

So yea, I could some tips...another quick question. Which has more priority? Falcos Bair or Nair?
Falco's bair at it's sweetspot > Falco's nair at it's sweetspot

Anything else, feel free to ask. :)

That would be great A-Laon. I didn't mention it before but I was thinking I could throw in a page long interview or something along those lines. I'll go stalk you on AIM sometime and ask lots of revealing questions about your personal life. ^_^

I live in the suburbs(moon if anyone's heard of it), but I'm in town most days for school and that's where my gf lives. I already have plans for this friday, but maybe I can crash one of your shindigs sometime. I'll probably get owned, but playing with people >>> playing with computers.
Heh, might as well catch you on aim then: moaw91. I commend you for taking an academic interest in the structure of gaming communities. It truly is a profound social system.

And for the record, make sure you stop by some time. Better to get owned by real players than compete with crappy ones... let alone bots.

rallykupo

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I really wish I had more experience with decent players but I don't drive and it's hard to work around my schedule sometimes. That's why I really hope SSB:B is online. Playing with others is undoubtedly more fun, but not all of us have that option whenever we'd like to.

The only decent smash player I play regularly is my best friend, but he's a bowser player, which doesn't help me too much. He's good with him though...he beat Keer's young link recently with bowser.

Na!l

Smash Journeyman
Yea, about as much as Kirby. I gave up trying to play them seriously, but theyre good for a "Thats how Chudat does it" chainthrow comment, or a desynch taunt.

pockyD

Smash Legend
show 'em how chu dat does it!

i think i'm going to start playing ganon more again... just wish everyone and their mothers didn't play spacies (everyone should play CF/samus)

edit: for the record, word on the hub is that vidjo forfeited to sliq at COK3 because he was so deflated from losing to mathos that he didn't want to play anymore (lol)

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Spacies are just too easy to be good with. At our level of play, spacies are really "II good!?". Once you get pro though, it seems like Marth is just the best. But more to the point, I agree, everyone should play CF, he's definately the sweetest dude ever. SHAZAAM!

Top Bottom