• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Michigan Brawl Power Rankings: Season 11 Images Up!

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I feel like my viewpoint was TOTALLY selfish back then, I totally agree.

But its different now. We had just started off and it would have completely squashed the revival process in its early stages if we decided against it. But its different now. We're soooo much better now and our PR doesn't even reflect that now. I shouldn't have even been on the last few lists. I got lucky that better players only attended one tournament those seasons. I just don't see what the point is, in striving for mediocrity. More experienced players goal should just be more centralized on getting better period. But whatever lol. We can vote, I don't care. I mean I agree with you on some aspects and don't on others. Its not easy running this show and trying to keep us looking good and keeping interest. I'm just kinda in between the whole "Its good for the community, inspiration etc" and "We have to not look free" mentalities.

EDIT: Fun fact. I actually got better when I STOPPED caring about it btw.

fZk

Smash Lord
I see your point but wether you think is dumb or not to have a PR now shouldn't matter. It served its intended purpose for you and so let it serve its purpose for others.

zyth

Smash Lord
the way this sounds it just seems like tech doesnt want anything to do with the PR anymore. there are other ppl on the panel and someone can replace him if he really wants out so that it could keep going.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Jason come back to us ;~;

This is pretty ****ty of you Derek. You were one of the biggest proponents of bringing back a PR when you were not in it and when our community was probably at its lowest point, now that you're a regular in it you don't want it any more. It is even worse because now the community is at the highest it's been in many years with many successful tournaments and and a huge influx of new players, for which you've been a big part of. I think now it's when it's more important to have a PR. Remember all your original reasons for having a PR in the first place.

I know for you not being in the PR was a big motivation for you to push yourself and become better and no doubt you have done so. Why would you want to take that opportunity away from others just because you accomplished it already.
I agree with you 100% Juan.

But its different now. We had just started off and it would have completely squashed the revival process in its early stages if we decided against it. But its different now. We're soooo much better now and our PR doesn't even reflect that now.
I don't see how this is different from back then. We knew who the best where, but we continued on despite the losses. New players rose to te top and we stepped forward.

Today, our state is getting a lot better, the glory days of 08 to early 10 are gone. They can never be reclaimed, we need to put things in the past and focus on our state's present and future. I don't see why should we take steps backwards and not commend those who are stepping up on getting better. Look at Brian, he wanted to get better and get ranked. 1 semester he is #4 in the state. 2nd semester rolls by and boom #2. Hard work pays off and he earned those spots. IMO Brian showed the greatest improvement since SK back in 2010. These guys put in work to level up and we rewarded them with their PR positions. Why does someone of a lesser caliber, who is improving and beginning to show results get the shaft?

I just don't see what the point is, in striving for mediocrity. More experienced players goal should just be more centralized on getting better period. But whatever lol. We can vote, I don't care. I mean I agree with you on some aspects and don't on others. Its not easy running this show and trying to keep us looking good and keeping interest. I'm just kinda in between the whole "Its good for the community, inspiration etc" and "We have to not look free" mentalities.
How is it striving for mediocrity? The goal of a PR is to rank players based on whom they have beaten during the ranking season as well as showcase their growth as a player. It is the Ranking list of our state. We need to give incentive for our own players to get better, how do they do that? They practice then gun for the top dogs.

The part when you talk about "good for the community, inspiration etc" and "We have to not look free" is severely flawed. I mean how many PRs around this country have players that are really recognized? The only ones that have a PR where you can name every player is SoCal, NY/NJ, and maybe New England. I can go to that directory thread and go to PRs that have players as high as 4th that I have never heard of once (I follow nearly every scene in this community). Obviously we are the only state that really cares about our image.

EDIT: Fun fact. I actually got better when I STOPPED caring about it btw.
That isn't how most people work on getting better though. If there is a measurable goal, it makes it more appealing for someone to shoot for that goal.

MI is one of the most active scenes in the entire country right now. Our players have been getting a **** ton better and deserve to get that moment. If they aren't doing as good as they need to get the numbered spot, actually use the HM section, at least then they feel like they haven't been wasting their time. Some of the players I've seen that are showing this type of improvement are Rizk, JCav, fZk, Gio, and myself. Sure we may not be Kenny or Mikey but you can be damn sure we are all trying to get as good as we can.

I know we are no where near the level that we can all go OoS and just take names, we need to focus on our core first.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Looking at our past PRs, they are based largely around wins/losses. Ray has wins and Zinoto is getting bad losses due to choking.

Zinoto

Smash Lord
I don't think I have bad losses. Ray has beaten almost the exact same people I have. The only "bad" loss I would have is Arty (which isn't bad because he's good). All my other losses were either Ally or other good players (like TO Joe or Delux).

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Arty can't be good, he lost to me :yeahboi:

but seriously though. You and Ray have a near similar spread of W/L

jesus christ can people stop meatriding zinoto

even when he loses OMG HE CHOKED HE'S NUMBER 1

shut the **** up. like i said last season, if you're actually going by wins/losses rage is #1. it's that simple. enough politics.

and lol at me improving i never play

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
So because certain players may make/be on top of the list this season we are deciding to not have a pr because we are going to look free? I dont think it's striving for mediocracy either. You all wanted to bring the pr back. Have a set number of people beimg pr'ed each season (hm also if you choose to do it) and stick with it. None of this bs where we only rank 5 players one season then 7 the next. It just shows improvement/ tournament attendance for THAT season. We all know who is better in this state. But thats not the reason to have a pr.

It's like saying, we already know the heat are the best team im the NBA so why don't we just not have a playoffs next year and just give them the championship ring. :yeahboi:

:phone:

Roller

Smash Legend
Well, while I think a PR for this season might look pretty weak; at the same time, a lot of people need incentive to get better. If we can help provide them with that, it might be a good idea.

Then again, if people get PR'd and are just mocked for being on a list consisting of virtually all "free" players..

Might not serve the intended effect.

PR panel should probably discuss this.

I'm in favor of having one as of now. But I'm open to hearing more from both sides. I guess we could consider extending the season too.. But I don't think that would be entirely fair to SK, 'cause we wouldn't extend it for him last time. (Granted, he wouldn't have made it for that season, but still. We deprived him of the chance by not extending...)

Zinoto

Smash Lord
jesus christ can people stop meatriding zinoto

even when he loses OMG HE CHOKED HE'S NUMBER 1

shut the **** up. like i said last season, if you're actually going by wins/losses rage is #1. it's that simple. enough politics.

and lol at me improving i never play
Ray doesn't have better wins/losses.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Ray doesn't have better wins/losses.

This season you guys are near identical from what I have looked at so far.

When it came to to the previous season, Rayquaza steamrolled our entire Wendy's menu lol. He beat everyone on the list With the exception of Coco and lain. He beat you twice in the same tourney. His only loss last season was you iirc. I'd have to back and check when im not on my phone.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I have to back some of your peers on this, Tech. It seems that despite MI's improvement in terms of activity level, overall skill level, and tournament quality, it still has its fair share of issues when it comes to players who are at the helm of that skill level (inactivity, inconsistency, and so on). However...I don't believe that not having a PR is the right thing to do in this situation. Your state certainly has a handful of players who have been taking steps forward since I last saw them (Rizk and fzk, two players whom I've outplayed before to my recollection, have both shown drastic improvement since our encounter at Gameyard). I'm sure there are others among your bustling scene who are taking similar steps as well.

Trust me...I totally get the concern of having a PR list that may look particularly weaker than some previous ones (Kel and some others projected the same concern during Ohio's reboot), but I don't think it is fair to take the incentive/opportunity to strive for something away from the other players based on image concern alone. Myself and the other panelists know that Ohio's list won't look as strong as it once did (even with Shugster back), but I refuse to let that be the reason that we stop pushing forward. Everyone knows MI has been coming back strong as a scene, that's what truly matters imo. Let your PR continue to shape itself no matter what it ends up looking like man. :)

ZTD | TECHnology

And beat that same person in the same set.

Go get wrecked in Texas more

:yeahboi:

And I can respect Eddie's viewpoint. I still think this list would be atrocious unless some magic happens later this season. So we'll just wait.

lol infern you would get ****ed up if you came to a MI tourney

also zino i was referring to last season. i havent really paid much attention to results this season. what are rage and zinoto's wins/losses?

and i'm sorry zinoto but you lost to arty's falco. so i guess i'm biased :yeahboi:

kd-

Smash Lord
Your characters are trash, they're easily outclassed and if Metaknight Falco was banned I'd be whoopin on some ***.

Zinoto

Smash Lord
Tech wins -2/-3 MUs with :dedede: and I can't win 0/-1 MUs with :diddy:. Freenoto.

But Ray and I have a similar spread:

Ray: fzk, Xatic, Sago, Bowyer, Keitaro, Delux, Sacu3 (wins)
Kenny, TO Joe (losses)

Zino: Goddy, Sneakytako, fzk, Judge, Lain, Sago, DLA, Red Ryu (wins)
Ally (Like a billion times), Arty, TO Joe, Delux (losses)

His wins don't trump mine and mine don't trump his. Looking at it, we both have pretty weak W/L spreads. But I have realized that Ally keeps putting me in Losers lol I see you Ally.

Also, at Impulse I will be rocking the Basura tag.

GET BODIED KAIN!!!!!! :yeahboi:

Ray: fzk, Xatic, Sago, Bowyer, Keitaro, Delux, Sacu3 (wins)
Kenny, TO Joe (losses)

Zino: Goddy, Sneakytako, fzk, Judge, Lain, Sago, DLA, Red Ryu (wins)
Ally (Like a billion times), Arty, TO Joe, Delux (losses)
actually looking at this i'd say you have better wins, but you do have slightly worse losses (and by slightly worse i mean arty is as free as they come :yeahboi:)

also i did by far the best against TO joe out of all of MI so i should be #1 :denzel:

ZTD | TECHnology

Tech wins -2/-3 MUs with :dedede: and I can't win 0/-1 MUs with :diddy:. Freenoto.
LMAO.

I do it because I'm stick with that fat ***** now.

Its like when a guy is with a virgin girl and says "I'm just gonna stick the tip in" Then it gets good and he's balls deep in there. Next thing h knows she's having his baby and there's no way out so he stays.

Unless he's black.

:denzel:

That is what happened with Dedede lmao. He's so much better than my other characters, I have no choice but to stick with him <_<

For every 1 :metaknight: or :falco: I beat that's not trash at this game, 10 more willl **** me before the next win :(

I shoulda went :olimar:. Takes no skill.

:yeahboi:

ZTD | TECHnology

Eddie, you said that in a MI thread

I hope you're ready for what's about to happen whenever Gio reads this lmao.

Also Ankoku: TEACH ME ENLIGHTENED ONE!

Top Bottom