• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Michigan Brawl Power Rankings: Season 11 Images Up!

lain

Smash Master
I don't want to be #0. I saw m2k posted as #0 in the Ohio rankings before and I don't think it's very encouraging to other people to get better. What if Gio got better then me? What if Tech got better then me? I'd like to see people STRIVING to get better in MI about now, since we have like 2-3 top players (who don't even play each other) and I'm finding it increasingly difficult to get practice to a level of other regions. We CAN get as good as Cali or NJ if EVERYONE TRIED to get better.

1-2 years ago we had a really good scene. Everyone practiced a lot with good people, and wanted to beat each other and be #1. Let's start having that naoplz

also Gio should still be #****

King~

Smash Champion
we had m2k at 0 because realistically no one was close to him at the time(or atleast this is what we discussed when it came to the matter) everyone was fine with this and some wanted to get that separtion down even.

and he'll be back sometime after or in january he said

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Lol the #0 thing wasn't serious guys.

But I agree with what Lain is saying. Although credit should be given to where its due. We ARE getting better but not at the level that we need to be. But there seems to be motivation which is awesome. However we need to unite a little bit better and take these training sessions further. We could be an amazing state again if we all REALLY went at it. Lain is doing what he can to help people get better no doubt about it.

Boxxy

Smash Lord
I don't want to be #0. I saw m2k posted as #0 in the Ohio rankings before and I don't think it's very encouraging to other people to get better. What if Gio got better then me? What if Tech got better then me? I'd like to see people STRIVING to get better in MI about now, since we have like 2-3 top players (who don't even play each other) and I'm finding it increasingly difficult to get practice to a level of other regions. We CAN get as good as Cali or NJ if EVERYONE TRIED to get better.

1-2 years ago we had a really good scene. Everyone practiced a lot with good people, and wanted to beat each other and be #1. Let's start having that naoplz

I hope u start to get use 2 seeing my name above urs ;)

Boxxy

Smash Lord

I hope u start to get use 2 seeing my name above urs ;)

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216

This.

Get hungry and STAY hungry people. That's the only way you'll improve to a higher level than what you are at now.

As for me, I want nothing less than to work to beat people like Shugo and Kel consistently (sorry Blue Rogue ;) ) and shoot to be the absolute #1 player in Ohio without any doubts; and I don't plan to even stop at that. I want to make a bigger name for myself on a national scale too. So far I haven't been doing too bad, I just hope I can keep it up. Pierce said I have a ton of potential as a player, and I wholeheartedly agree with him.

Roller

Smash Legend
AA is sincerely all trying to improve. Especially Gio, myself, Tutu, and obviously Lain. We've all been going consistently to these 5-8 hour smashfests 3-4 times per week. Plus tourneys, and I personally play with some not as competitive players each day. (Helps me practice reading, etc. Like vs low level cpu.)

Oh and Kevin, add Tutu's tournament to the OP.
Meh, Tutu AND Roller's tourney. That kid needs to put my name higher on the OP than small font on the bottom of the post...

Tewx2

Smash Ace
MI only thinks it wants to get better, for the most part right now the only people I see really trying to improve are Lain, L_Cancel, Flame, and Sparta Kick

MI is never going to be as good as New Jersey or Socal, it's something that could happen, but won't.

Currently (barring Lain and anther) our smash scene is one of the worst in the country, and it's not gonna improve because half of our top players have given up on beating Lain, and why shouldn't they? Lain is on a much higher level than the rest of MI and the only way to get on that level is too play him over and over which further ****s over every non-MK player aspiring to beat him, since anything discovered has to be tested against him, so he'll know how to beat it. And the non-top players become complacent from beating the top players by hard counterpicking them, unlike regions like NJ and Socal which are mk dominant who can't be hard cp'd, making wins an actual accomplishment instead of gimmicking matches for the win. In the end MI is pretty much just that, a gimmick.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Why should anyone give up on beating lain? He's not even close to being one of the most overwhelmingly dominating top players. Hell, he drops games. Stop crushing hopes and dreams. :<

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Maybe it's why I don't get annoyed at all by chaingrabs and loops, but losing hard because I just got punished for 35 things in a row is much more disheartening to me than losing because I got punished for three or four things. I mean, yeah, you lose all the same against lain's CGs, and for less, but getting 2/3 stocked because the other guy could find 35 things you did wrong is just so discouraging.

Boxxy

Smash Lord
yo I want to improve but when it's really hard to get permission to go over 1 hr away from where you live it's really hard to improve.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Guys...Lain is an amazing player but he's not impossible to beat. You're only hurting yourselves and your chances of improving if you give up on trying to beat him (or any top player for that matter) so soon. I know some of you want the MI scene to be back on top again...reach for it!

Roller

Smash Legend
MI only thinks it wants to get better, for the most part right now the only people I see really trying to improve are Lain, L_Cancel, Flame, and Sparta Kick

MI is never going to be as good as New Jersey or Socal, it's something that could happen, but won't.

Currently (barring Lain and anther) our smash scene is one of the worst in the country, and it's not gonna improve because half of our top players have given up on beating Lain, and why shouldn't they? Lain is on a much higher level than the rest of MI and the only way to get on that level is too play him over and over which further ****s over every non-MK player aspiring to beat him, since anything discovered has to be tested against him, so he'll know how to beat it. And the non-top players become complacent from beating the top players by hard counterpicking them, unlike regions like NJ and Socal which are mk dominant who can't be hard cp'd, making wins an actual accomplishment instead of gimmicking matches for the win. In the end MI is pretty much just that, a gimmick.
Why so pessimistic? and lol @nj not hard cping people. As someone from NJ.. Check number 2 on their PR.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Atomsk is actually good with all of his secondaries and can use/has used them against people on starter stages to win as well though. It's not like he puts a ton of emphasis on a character/stage counterpick mix like a lot of players at a lower level tend to do.

ZTD | TECHnology

You guys' pessimism is ********. Of course you aren't get better if you're too busy johning about why you can't get better. Baby steps are better than nothing. I am getting better and I intend on making my goal of being PRed. I'll help anyone that wants it also.

If you want something bad enough you'll find a way to make it happen.

And Tutu being a panelist with such a bleak outlook on the scene is detrimental to our cause. You've only listed the really good players that have shown noticeable progress lately. That doesn't mean there aren't others in this state who are trying to improve. Have faith.

And Lain is not our entire scene and I don't think hed ever want to be. He wants to us reach new heights more than anyone here. And we can if we work hard and keep our heads up. MIchigan is a state. Not one player.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Sumer that was perfect comic relief that this thread needed.

But on point,

Honestly Michigan as a community has been stepping up when trying to improve our scene. Tech and I started hosting more tournaments, which we desperately needed. Now people are hosting more and this shows that a spark of life is now growing within our state. Roller and the Ann Arbor crew have been stepping the **** up with all these smashfests, this just shows how much our players want to get better. Our scene isn't dead/dying. It was in a slump and we are heading back up hill to where we should be.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Michigan Power Rankings

#1-Lain
#2-Lain's Bud
#3-Lain's Piece
#4-Lain's Secret Weapon
#5-Trent (when he moves to Michigan).
#6-Technical_Chase

Tewx2

Smash Ace
People misunderstood my post, but I'm not surprised, I'm not saying no1 can beat lain, but that it's been internalized by the majority of the MI community. There aren't 5 people in MI who can honestly say they think they will be able to beat Lain. And I'm not just taking the people who are doing well into consideration, I'm taking the people who don't use Smashboards as a way to find drinking buddies into consideration, because they are the ones that are putting in real effort, SK has to drive like 4 hours to get to anything, same with L. The constant Smashfests that we are having isn't a sign of improvement just activity, the people that are showing the most improvement are the ones putting in solo effort. L_Cancel plays wifi from sun up to sun down, flame SK and DL are almost always getting it in on the ladders (I shouldn't have excluded DL on my list of improving people). The point is they take the initiative to improve on their own, instead of passively waiting for Smashfests to happen.

Atomsk doesn't hard cp people, he avoids bad MUs but the characters he plays are mostly within 6-4 range.

I'm not being pessimisstic, I'm being honest, our state as it is is ****. Lain can win tourneys here using ICs in winners and grand finals only. Most of us aren't even a challenge for his secondaries.

It doesnt matter how much people play if they don't understand how to improve and I'll say it, most everyone in MI doesn't know how to improve, nor do most of you even want to. You want to keep winning, but you don't want to get better. That's the difference from the people that I listed and the ones I didn't, boxxy being an exception, idk but whenever I see you at a tourny you seem mad bored.

Who said MI smash was dead, it's fairly active, but activity isn't the sign of ability, that's what MI is desperatly lacking.

Lain wants Michigan to improve because we suck so bad that he can't get good practice for regionals and nationals from us.

@Trent which area? And we should team sometime I love teaming with sonics.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
T_chase has a hot tub...hmmmmm...If you guys can find me free/super cheap Lions tickets on the same weekend as a tourney out there...I might drive up here. I'm a bigger Lions fan than Husker fan, and I'm born/raised Nebraska. Plus Lain is cool as all else, that's why he's #1-4.

Boxxy, I almost put you on the list because of your name, as I have a few inside jokes involving Boxxy. You guys don't have an order yet, but we honestly don't because we are so top heavy and everyone else that's good has retired. Example: Our #4 player is a computer and our #5 player is Tyser with 1 hand.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I love how we are talking cross boards. Yeah, I haven't been to any Lions games, it's sad. They haven't played in Kansas City since I've been able to drive otherwise I would go there. Seriously, they suck at scheduling, AFC vs NFC should rotate home/home every 5 years cause that's how often they play each other, but it's been at Detroit like 3 times in a row.

Suh > Meta Knight.

Roller

Smash Legend
The point is they take the initiative to improve on their own, instead of passively waiting for Smashfests to happen.
Yes, because that's what we do in AA, right? Ignoring the fact I started up a weekly sunday smashfest last year and have grown and continued it this year. The fact that I have been helping to organize multiple smashfests EVERY WEEK, and the fact that Lain, Gio, and other AA smashers (especially juggleguy for melee) have been calling for, and broadening interests in smashfests all semester.

Gio and I asking Lain for ways to step up our game with mk/ic's, and for advise on our play in general.

The fact that a number of us went all the way out to Ludington just to be able to play more people and show that we are improving.

But I guess that is all just passively waiting. And isn't helping anything. Seriously Tutu, I don't get where you are getting this from. Many people are trying to improve, not just here in AA, but the people you named, as well as Tech, the guys who come out to UM smashfests all the way from MSU (WTP has come to a ton of them), and others.

And I do agree with Gio's post that he is improving.

Stop being so pessimistic.

Rizk18

Smash Lord
well there isnt a way i can get better besides wifi cuz no1 lives near me in dearborn heights so my skills stand where they are until someone wants to drive to my house for some fun

ZTD | TECHnology

Yep, my hot tub is indeed pro. None of the Smashers have been in it yet though.

@MegaRobMan: You should visit :D. I may even be able to house. Just depends on the weekends really.

Trent: What part of MI?

Boxxy: I dunno but I felt I needed to single you out.

Tutu: I agree but I still think you're being pessimistic. I will agree the people who are really standing out are putting inn a lot of work though. Its admirable. There's still so much we can all do. The proof is in the pudding I suppose.

Boxxy

Smash Lord
you act as if i have control over what my parents allow me to do and not to do.

Top Bottom