• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Marth Video Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxas M

Smash Master
I agree that this thread needs a new owner.
However, I think the Marth Boards should discuss the structure of the OP and how it should be done before handing it over to someone.
A few things that should probably be discussed would have to be:
1) What marths will actually be in the thread, so a bunch of people won't be posting here asking for their videos to be in the OP

2) How it would be organized, by the player, or by the matchup.

3)How the videos will actually be put into the OP. I personally liked how you put all of Pierce's vids into a table and organized it that way. All the videos can be done that way, or the usual way, with hide/unhide tags.

Nike.

Smash Hero
I think it'd be pretty cool to have both. Meaning the first post has vids of the best Marths, while the second post is ordered by matchup but has everybodys. When Kadaj and Ramin tried to do this a year ago, it sounded very promising until they became too inactive and Anaky took over.

As far as structure, I think the table format works best.

Most of the character boards have TERRIBLE Video Threads lol. However, I think that these are the best to grab ideas from:

:gw: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=253055

Game and Watches actually had every player make a post and then update it with all the vids of themselves. The post was then linked to the op. In theory this would be awesome, but inactivity from players (lack of interest to keep updating their post) kinda kills the thread. I also like the format the OP used when he listed the names of the players (was centered, quote box doesn't cover the whole page, etc).

:peach: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=174156

Peaches made a pretty looking matchup type thread.

:pikachu2: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=265539

This is where I stole the table format from months ago. However, the Pikachus only listed stuff within a 2 month spread. I.E. There's not much in the op.

:sonic: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=202052

Espy made this format for the Sonics and Wolfs. It's in matchup format and the links are under collapse tags. However, they actually list EVERY SINGLE VIDEO of the sets and in order that they were uploaded. It is kinda unpleasing to the eye, though. Sonics are the best board when it comes to videos, tourney results, and character research. I'm actually jealous of them and wish the Marth boards did the same.

PEACE7

Smash Champion
Should also get rid of all the really old videos on here.
Make it all look nice and neat, and maybe add a section for things that aren't actual matches like AT's the character hit bubbles video and maybe even combo videos.

Roxas M

Smash Master
Well, with the fact that there isn't a constant flow of marth videos, maybe there could be an archive section for the older videos, then a section for all the newer videos.

The sonic boards have so many videos around, so it's easy to see how many videos they have for each MU.

The marth boards, however, will most likely have A LOT MU gaps. The organization of the videos by player will look really nice if we do something similar to the GW boards, except that the thread owner takes responsibility to update each of the marth's separate posts. I really doubt each of the marths that are in the thread will make a conscious effort to update their video post on a regular basis, so that's why I think the thread owner should handle it, while having each marth's videos in a different post for easy updating.

Nike.

Smash Hero
That would require the thread owner to be a mod because only they can edit someone elses post.
And I doubt Shaya would want to do that lol.
Though the idea sounds cool, it's honestly better to just have everything in the first post or two.

Roxas M

Smash Master
Yeah, now that I think about it a little more, it would probably require that shaya takes over the video thread. That or make a new thread, so that more posts can be reserved, instead of just two in this thread. That way each post after the first one can have 1 marth in it.

Nike.

Smash Hero
Only way that would work is if:
  • Shaya actually agreed to do all of that (lol)
  • Someone else who's a mod taking over (lol)
  • Create a new thread and have everyone who wants their own page to reserve a post on the first page, and updating it at least semi-regularly (lololol)

In theory the idea works, but I think the plague of inactivity would kill it (just like on the GW boards).

Also, Peace brought up a nice point. A seperate section for anything non-match related, such as AT's, would def be a benefit.

What I think the most important thing to decide atm is which Marth mains would be on the OP. Half of the players currently on it have only had a few sets uploaded in the past half year.

ScareMl

Smash Journeyman
so is this thread only for the pros like mikehaze and mr. r, or can any noob marth like me put my videos here if i follow the rules?

Nike.

Smash Hero
That's what we're discussing lol.
I let the Marth social know that we're doing this, hopefully others chime in.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Issue there gonna be a "How not to play" section for my videos?

Roxas M

Smash Master
Only way that would work is if:
  • Shaya actually agreed to do all of that (lol)
  • Someone else who's a mod taking over (lol)
  • Create a new thread and have everyone who wants their own page to reserve a post on the first page, and updating it at least semi-regularly (lololol)

In theory the idea works, but I think the plague of inactivity would kill it (just like on the GW boards).

Also, Peace brought up a nice point. A seperate section for anything non-match related, such as AT's, would def be a benefit.

What I think the most important thing to decide atm is which Marth mains would be on the OP. Half of the players currently on it have only had a few sets uploaded in the past half year.
Well, shaya would have to agree to everything anyways, so that would be part of any decision to do anything, lol

What I meant about the separate posts, though, would be for the thread owner to make a post for each person, and the thread owner updates each of the posts. Not the marths themselves. This way, you get the convenience of having separate posts of each marth main, but since the thread owner is updating the posts, you have the ability to update it whenever the thread owner has the time.

Also, that is another good reason to make a new thread. If I recall correctly, this thread only has two posts available to put videos in. If a new thread was made and stickied, more posts could be reserved for things like ATs, marth's hitbubbles video(which ironically isn't anywhere on the marth boards), and other things that may come up in the future.

As for the marths that will actually be IN the thread, I think we could go with the sonic boards design, with having an area for some newer videos like MikeHaze, Neo, Kadaj, Nike, Raziek, since they have videos uploaded on youtube recently. Then, there could eb an archived section, with the older videos that can still be applied now, like some of Mike's old videos, Havok, Zex, as well as some of the 2010/2009 marth videos to have an actual thread. The older videos can even be used if someone wants to compare the metagame then and now, ect.

Calvonta "Calvo" parker

Smash Apprentice
Hai. Finally got some marf vids. This marth was born in October, and these videos are from the most recent practice session we had at Penn State.

Umbra(Peach) vs M@v(Marth)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKrukC5RKuU&list=PLD2965BFEB91C1BFC&index=10&feature=plpp_video

Umbra(Pikachu/Marth) vs M@v(Marth)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quZqoK5v-rY&list=PLD2965BFEB91C1BFC&index=11&feature=plpp_video

Melon(Jigglypuff) vs M@v(Marth/Falco) game 1 is the marth game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJGdNimAMRI&list=PLD2965BFEB91C1BFC&index=8&feature=plpp_video

Umbra(DDD) vs M@v(Marth)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZEhyrhtWmA&list=PLD2965BFEB91C1BFC&index=12&feature=plpp_video

Umbra(Pikachu) vs M@v(Marth)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaKeVcVhl_U&list=PLD2965BFEB91C1BFC&index=4&feature=plpp_video
Man, someone has a epic taste in style and music.

:phone:

Nike.

Smash Hero
Your probably right, KillLock.

What I meant about the separate posts, though, would be for the thread owner to make a post for each person, and the thread owner updates each of the posts. Not the marths themselves. This way, you get the convenience of having separate posts of each marth main, but since the thread owner is updating the posts, you have the ability to update it whenever the thread owner has the time.
Ehhhh, idk.
I think it the thread owner was going to update everything, then him just doing it on the first few posts would be a better idea.
Collapse tags would be the only thing needed.
Unless someone literally wanted to make an entire page of posts lol.

SHAYAAAAAAAAAAA.
Your children need guidance.

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
Yeah soz guys im just too busy these days, i havent played Brawl properly since Summer and i dont plan on playing much anymore :(. Il still post on the boards sometimes and hang around here, but i wont be keeping up with the metagame anymore.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
When I was reading through this yesterday and idea came up to me.

Make a subforum in the marth boards that doesn't increase your post count and has specific listing structure (these types of forums are available). The specific listing structure would be like 'date posted' order. Remove the critique and video threads and the stance would be that anything and everything can have its own topic.

Roxas M

Smash Master
You can do that?

It would be a really good idea if you could make it happen, but the fact that your post count doesn't increase that big of a deal? lol I never got why people make an effort for +1 posts everywhere.

With the subforum, everyone can basically make a thread on anything, and they main forum is just for the few important threads here.

Nike.

Smash Hero
Is that possible? :O
Would seem like you can only get subforum privileges if it was universal (all character boards).

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I'm pretty sure sub boards can get their own sub boards and it would be more about me convincing them to not be ***** about it then it being a problem mechanically, logistically or otherwise.

Nike.

Smash Hero
Shaya explained to me how this idea could work, sounds pretty ****.

HiyaShaya:
heh
anyway pushing my idea onto staff
hopefully i'll get it

ax2ronsilver:
i was slightly confused by the post
do you mean to potentially use the subforum as a social, where ANY type of topic can be made?

HiyaShaya:
no
just videos
it's purpose would like an archive
would be*

ax2ronsilver:
ahh
wait
as in ppl make their own topics for their vids? or mu specific? or in order that they were uploaded?

HiyaShaya:
someone would make a topic
they would make a new topic for a new video
if they had multiple videos at once they would make one topic for it
so one would b e like
TOURNAMENT NAME - MIKEHAZE
Dates - tournament name - mike haze
another would be date - match up - players

ax2ronsilver:
ohhhhhhhh
okay i get it
that sounds ****