• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Ice Climbers Thread

CanadianIdiot

Smash Cadet
From my view, I don't think they should come back. Despite being unique, I really thought a "duo" wasn't necessary and the extra character sorta took up some room. But, they worked out. I would replace them with another duo, maybe Sonic and Tails, just to get an extra 3rd party character in. But, maybe there will be someone else besides the Ice Climbers. I wouldn't mind seeing them go.

Anklez15

Smash Apprentice
From my view, I don't think they should come back. Despite being unique, I really thought a "duo" wasn't necessary and the extra character sorta took up some room. But, they worked out. I would replace them with another duo, maybe Sonic and Tails, just to get an extra 3rd party character in. But, maybe there will be someone else besides the Ice Climbers. I wouldn't mind seeing them go.
Sonic and Knuckles are Third Party characters so they are in a different spot then ice climbers because there are only i think 3 3rd party characters(correct me if i am wrong)

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Tell me was an Angel with a bow and short swords necssary for Brawl?

Why on earth would you want to get rid of a perfectly unique character only to add another character that basicly cloned thier duo uniquness? ( I'm not even going to go into the fact that a Sonic&Tails duo is so freakin dumb).

-Knight

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I've thought about it, and as much as I like Ice Climbers I don't think they'll come back. The only reason that they made it into Melee was for shock value. Sakurai seems to like to pull random characters out of his @#$ to surprise people. Ice Climbers won't have that same surprise effect that they did last time, and I highly doubt that they're ever going to make any new Ice Climber games. I think that this time, instead of Ice Climbers, they'll come up with another random retro character. Supposedly, in Melee it came down to either Ice Climbers or Balloon Fighter and they decided to go with Ice Climbers. Maybe this time they'll use Balloon Fighter instead.

I've played fighting games my whole life. And, regardless of what anyone thinks, having a unique moveset or being high on the tiers list doesn't really make a difference when it comes to deciding which characters return in sequels.

Darkurai

Smash Master
The Ice Climbers were a very unique fighter.
They do indeed deserve to come back, but they might not.

VanillaMummy

Smash Journeyman
I've thought about it, and as much as I like Ice Climbers I don't think they'll come back. The only reason that they made it into Melee was for shock value. Sakurai seems to like to pull random characters out of his @#$ to surprise people. Ice Climbers won't have that same surprise effect that they did last time, and I highly doubt that they're ever going to make any new Ice Climber games. I think that this time, instead of Ice Climbers, they'll come up with another random retro character. Supposedly, in Melee it came down to either Ice Climbers or Balloon Fighter and they decided to go with Ice Climbers. Maybe this time they'll use Balloon Fighter instead.

I've played fighting games my whole life. And, regardless of what anyone thinks, having a unique moveset or being high on the tiers list doesn't really make a difference when it comes to deciding which characters return in sequels.
I still think Balloon Fighter would make a really stupid character to play as. We already have enough balloons (Jiggly and Kirby), and his move set would have to be limited due to the fact he uses balloons (yes I've seen several different movesets).

Ice Climbers are unique and it would be dumb for them to take them out.

iMichael

Smash Lord
Tell me was an Angel with a bow and short swords necssary for Brawl?

Why on earth would you want to get rid of a perfectly unique character only to add another character that basicly cloned thier duo uniquness? ( I'm not even going to go into the fact that a Sonic&Tails duo is so freakin dumb).

-Knight
Same reason why Scorpion wasnt in MK3 but returned in ultimate MK3 ...doesnt matter how unique the character is...characters like Ice climbers can get cut and probably will...Ice climbers arent really that popular NOW Scorpion on the other hand is and he still got cut...all im saying is doesnt matter how unique they are....

Peace

Metal B

Smash Journeyman
Ice Climbers will come back, because they are an other type of chara like Zelda/Shiek or Pokemon Trainer. But i will be sure the KI of the Ice Climber partner will be better and i hope for binding air-attacks. This means that bothe Ice Climbers preform the attacke together like the B->Forward Attack.

Mike966

Smash Cadet
of course they deserve to retunn, every character deserves to return, the more the merrier unless they are using space for a better character.

specially them since they are a very unique character, they just have to work more on the way nana moves (better Inteligence)

and i agree that sonic and tails duo would s*ck horribly.
I hope ice climbres come back, and if they don't I hope the make another cool duo (not sonic+tails!, sonic deserves his own spot)

Arteen

Smash Lord
( I'm not even going to go into the fact that a Sonic&Tails duo is so freakin dumb)
Honestly, I think that it could work out well if done properly. I could see it being similar to the old Genesis Sonic games, where Tails tagged along behind Sonic. He wouldn't punch when Sonic punches or anything like that, but he would tag along and occasionally help with a few moves like flying Sonic around or spindashing.

Anyways, I think the Ice Climbers should return. They have a wonderful, unique moveset, and there really are no good reasons to remove them.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
of course they deserve to retunn, every character deserves to return, the more the merrier unless they are using space for a better character.

specially them since they are a very unique character, they just have to work more on the way nana moves (better Inteligence)

and i agree that sonic and tails duo would s*ck horribly.
I hope ice climbres come back, and if they don't I hope the make another cool duo (not sonic+tails!, sonic deserves his own spot)
Did you just censor the word suck??? WTF?

Mike966

Smash Cadet
lol sorry I'm new in here and actually i'm not an english native speaker, (spanish!!!) so I don't know that words I can say, thanx now I can say that Sonic + Tails duo would SUCK!!!

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
If the Ice Climber duo comes back, then thats cool.

But if they don't return, well, I won't certainly lose any sleep over it.

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Papa and Nana would be great! If they had their movesets a bit fixed, well actually..

They might be removed because of Dedede >_>
Sorry to bring this up again, not sure if they meant that Dedede's chances would be hurt if the Ice Climber's were still in it or if Dedede would replace them but this is what I was talking about by saying some people think IC's would hurt Dedede's chances and vice-versa. (Sorry for the generalization and sorry if that's not what you meant >.<)

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
I'd don't agree with them being cut, but there is always possibility. Other games take out original characters for sequels, the same can happen in Brawl.

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
The Ice Climbers were a nice inclusion for one game, but I seriously don't want to see them in brawl. Not without some serious rework anyway. Theyr'e gonna have to change a lot.

Look at how Brawl plays, or, at least, appears too. I'd imagine Ice Climbers would be flat out evil on an engine this solid.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The Ice Climbers were a nice inclusion for one game, but I seriously don't want to see them in brawl. Not without some serious rework anyway. Theyr'e gonna have to change a lot.

Look at how Brawl plays, or, at least, appears too. I'd imagine Ice Climbers would be flat out evil on an engine this solid.
Why...

and of course every character is getting tweaks and differences....what are you talking about though?

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Whoa, they must be out now because the Pokemon stage now has ice...deconfirmed! :p

(No, I'm really kidding, since I know I'm going to have to point out the obvious to someone...)

soulz

Smash Cadet
i'd like ice climbers to return, i liked playing as them as they annoy everyone of whom i have played against. but as characters they also look cute and fun =] but i see the lack of popularity they may have and so they might not return

0rion

Smash Journeyman
There only shot in coming back is if Sakurai-senpai adds em back on for whatever reason. That and they weren't clones of nobody in Melee. That's a +

But this is a - (I think, bare with me peoples), they haven't come out with a game in ages, and I don't think they're gonna appear on any DS or Wii titles. All I know is there only sure fire way to be in Brawl is that Sakurai lovvvves retro stuff, which he does.

I'd say there chances in comin back are 50/50.

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
Why...

and of course every character is getting tweaks and differences....what are you talking about though?
because, in the original, it so very easy to trap opponents. Think of how strong Kirby was in the original. Now, imagine youy having and additional computer. I'd imagine it's entire possible to "Play catch", opponents being the ball. Look at that old trailer for Smash bos brawl, then try the Mario tornado in SSB. Then try it in SSBM. SSBM's suction moves are far less stable. now, with more solid moves, where a good down+A would actually send them down, Ice Climbers would be able to attack redunantly, and not give opponent much time to escape.

Anklez15

Smash Apprentice
because, in the original, it so very easy to trap opponents. Think of how strong Kirby was in the original. Now, imagine youy having and additional computer. I'd imagine it's entire possible to "Play catch", opponents being the ball. Look at that old trailer for Smash bos brawl, then try the Mario tornado in SSB. Then try it in SSBM. SSBM's suction moves are far less stable. now, with more solid moves, where a good down+A would actually send them down, Ice Climbers would be able to attack redunantly, and not give opponent much time to escape.
What? i didnt get that!

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Except the Ice Climbers were like mid tier in Melee. iirc

Kirby was top tier in 64.

Big difference.

And you're not making sense

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
If there is no new duo added, Ice Climbers should remain. Simple.

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
Except the Ice Climbers were like mid tier in Melee. iirc

Kirby was top tier in 64.

Big difference.

And you're not making sense
Forget it, I give up... I know I'm not that good at explanations..

Just imagine how Ice Climbers would play if they were in the N64 game with the exact same moveset.

vonfinell

Smash Apprentice
I personally never played as them extensively, but they always intrigued me. I've never met anyone who was able to use them efficiently, but I know for a fact that there are people like that out there, and I think that characters that original should be kept in regardless of whether they are useful or not (although I think they are)
So yes, they should stay because they were smart, original, and there are no reasons to remove them. Quite frankly, I'd like to see an Ice Climbers Wii Game. Just putting the thought out there.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Oh thank god. I'm so glad they're back! I was so sick of people going around saying they where returned.

To say the least... PWN'D! ^_^

Anyways, I really hope they get a better stage. As I said on another topic, we already have that stupid DK stage, so give them a better stage!

I'm just soo happy they're returning! :grin:

Top Bottom