• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Falco Video Thread

OninO

Smash Journeyman
TeeJay308 TeeJay308 Thanks for the critique mate, your thoughts echo a lot of the criticisms the better players in my scene have been giving me for a while now.

Frenzy231199

Smash Cadet
Hey Guys, So after picking up Melee competetively in february and quitting WiiU a couple months later, I won my 2nd Melee Local ever this weekend, Small Local like 11ppl n not a big deal but It definitely was a nice confidence boost.

I still feel I'm quite aweful IMO and have ALOT to work on. I been rewatching my Gameplays and taking notes on things i wasn't even doing [like OoS Shine/WDs, LedgeDashes, just a bunch of stuff i was scared to use or have trouble using in the right situations normally], but idk, I need more help with just using my options properly, minus'ing the unsafe scrub habits, and my mental game [in WFs you'll see me play much better and confidently vs NBT, then in GFs i was much more nervous and panicy playstyle]

Anyways there's like 4 Matches with me on stream.
Mainly I want to review the match I had with 404Cray [A relatively new but decent fox main] because I feel like i was doing everything wrong against him & barley won when I definitely feel I could of preformed alot better and really need to see what I shouldn't be doing because I'm not really sure.
Also check out WFs for my better gameplay, Still looks scrubby to me imo and I need to push myself further.
And if anyone is good at identifying habits and stuff, Check out GFs and please tell me what my panic habits are and good alternatives I could be doing instead to improve my play.

All vids are in the playlist Thanks much guys!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow3FYrhO36w&list=PLiy1lEN0fdByUCnWScRN9DJWcW0imHFH0&index=8
To expand on what OninO OninO was saying, i think you should grind out your waveshine combos on Final Destination ona CPU Fox - there were a lot of easy punishes that you missed because you were jumping out of shine instead of wavedashing out of it. Also, it feels like your lasering for the sake of it instead of actually trying to hit with them. Other than that, congratulations on your win and for how long you've been playing I think you are doing pretty well :)

Frenzy231199

Smash Cadet
And here's some of my play from a tourn this weekend. They're 2 pretty quick matches so would be interested to hear what you guys see: http://www.twitch.tv/standingfierce2/v/19028893?t=18m53s
After watching your two matches my thoughts are that you are trying to crouch cancel sheik's attacks which is good but you don't use enough Up-Tilt, it beats out or trades with every sheik aerial and sets up combos really nicely. Also, it felt like the sheik was out manouvering you so maybe you should look into your movement (wavelands, dash dancing etc.) other than that you seemed to be playing pretty well :)

Conti

Smash Ace
Thanks guys, I know I'm decent but still not good yet xD

Yeah Definitely working on a bunch of stuff this week that u guys brought up and what i noticed, My laser positioning and grinding out the heights, Waveshines, I actually have a lot of trouble doing Utilts right now working really hard not to mess them up [ill jump or ftilt if im tryin to do reverse utilt]. I'm going to focus next weekend on less Fsmashes, smarter lasers, Ledge Dashing and more ledge options, Start using my tilts and bair for edgeguarding n stage control and upgrade my tech a bit and some other stuff. ^_^ let's see how this weekend goes. (attending another local and the TO is letting me bring my stream setup so I'll have newer gameplays n try to see how the improvements are and maybe post u guys an update. I'd love to critique you guys, but I just don't have the knowledge in this game yet) Thanks much #BirdGang :D

OninO

Smash Journeyman
You should try to critique all the same, it's actually a really good way to build the knowledge yourself.

L33thal

Smash Apprentice
And here's some of my play from a tourn this weekend. They're 2 pretty quick matches so would be interested to hear what you guys see: http://www.twitch.tv/standingfierce2/v/19028893?t=18m53s
I feel like your neutral game is kind of messy. You kept doing laser, laser, early dair but your opponent just avoided you by going on platforms, especially on Battlefield. Sometimes you just kept swinging or lasering but your opponent was long gone by the time you threw out the hitboxes. I feel like you need to have more control over your Falco; play slower and more intentional, and keep your eyes focused on your opponent's character and be more aware of what they could do.

Also you over-commit a lot. A lot of times you just go in and your opponent just gets out of the way so that you've given up stage control over to them by recklessly approaching. This is especially when they're on platforms. You go in with a full hop aerial instead of maintaining stage control and poking at them with u-airs, etc. You should try to zone more. I feel like going in and punishing escape options with reads is Fox-esque (especially with Fox's speed) while zoning and chipping away is more suited for Falco (stronger, slower aerials). Short hop u-airs and ac bairs are good options to poke at people on ground/platforms.

Also, I would change some of your options. Dair takes up less space and has 2 extra frames of L-cancel lag while nair zones better and is +/-0 on L-cancel lag I believe. Try not to do dairs as much, or to attack too much in general. At a lot of points I felt like you kept on attacking and your opponent's style was to get out of the way but against players who are good at spacing and weaving in and out, you would have gotten punished a lot more for doing that.

Try to incorporate more movement and be more mobile with stuff like dash dancing. You keep your opponent guessing, maintain your position instead of approaching all in and giving it up, and you get to observe your opponent's responses and movement patterns. I felt like your movement was pretty linear.

And at higher levels, the basic laser->aerial->shine doesn't work. There are so many counters and mixups to be cognizant of. People can WD back and punish, and late aerial->shine->late aerial has vulnerability after the first shine on shield. You can also run into people's hitboxes if they read you. Hope this advice helps.

Can anyone critique this set?
http://www.twitch.tv/sdmeleetv/v/20080803?t=5h22m25s

OninO

Smash Journeyman
L L33thal first up, thanks for the critique!

Secondly, dude, third time I've looked at one of your videos and you know what, me and you are the same ****ing player, lol!

A lot of your (very justified) critiques of my play apply to your play as well. Which makes me think, the way that I've critiqued you in the past (poor tech coverage) were things that I wanted to be better at that I also saw in your play.

Now, I'm looking at your play through your perspective on my play (I know that sounds weird) and I think you probably already realise a lot of your weaknesses given that you can see them in my play. So a lot of this is probably gonna sound like you're talking to yourself.

Anyways, lots of super aggressive and poorly spaced nairs (nairs which are thrown from very far away and would only have hit if the Marth had been advancing without a hitbox).

Try to avoid burning your double jump above Marth.

You have some good, old-fashioned jab shield to punish roll which I love seeing.

Lots of Dair->shine->dair->shine pressure on shield which 1) isn't safe (as we both know) and 2) could be simplified with a simple shine->grab. So shine->grab until he starts buffering roll out of shine, then start double shining to punish him for that. Your shield pressure strings in general are not thought out. I.e. doubleshines are perfect for catching rolls but if they're not buffering roll you can be punished after the second shine (Marth could have up-B'd you out of shield).

So you make someone buffer rolls by shine-grabbing them repeatedly. My take on the mix up game is:
nair->shine teaches them they can't shield-grab your aerials, or roll out immediately,
nair->shine->grab teaches them not to try and shield grab your shine.
nair->shine->shine teaches them not to try and roll out after the first shine
and then you go nair->shine->shine->grab and you've enforced that you can cover anything they want to do out of shield.

I'm a strong proponent of going for off-stage situations as early as possible so when you dair anyone at percents that pop them up you should be looking to f-smash them offstage, but that's mostly a personal preference.

I think you'd benefit a lot from just more practise batting around a 20XX CPU as would I.

I hope some of this helps!

Conti

Smash Ace
Ok so my streak ended this week, ended up getting 3rd/17 losing to the 2 best players (DVD, he's the best PM player in NJ, one of the best ToonLinks, and HBA Gohan who's the best melee player at our locals, who i didnt get to play in tourny, he ended up beating DVD, i got some friendlies in with him on stream a few days before) in our area so It's not too bad. They said I've been improving alot and have the potential so I am gunna keep trying. I came to the conclusion i just need to do as u guys said and grind out waveshines more, i flub alot in tourny and move to quick, resulting in me moving too slow by getting stuck in my shine [by turning around or something]. Also i really need help with ledge options, I can't properly firebird stall at all, im scared to ledge dash, and hesitate all the time on the ledge and die for it. I cant OoS shine at the right times ever, or WD OoS, i just never know when I should be. The Brawl in me always wants to sheild-grab and jump OoS and that isnt really reliable once they noticed that pattern.
Also i worked on my lasers a bit more and still have more to work on but i see alot of improvement.
I still feel like im aweful and don't even understand how I'm doing so well when I'm missing out on such important melee options. Please check out my match vs DVD or whatever to see what I'm doin. I kinda am just clueless and still feel so scrubby imo :/ Anyways the input you guys gave me last time helped out alot so any input is appreciated. Thanks much guys <3

Me Vs Attack Party [decent Fox] losers-semis horrid commentary lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWThxAQ7tRY&index=3&list=PLiy1lEN0fdBwmtR_J6G_DVALTvMer40E3

*Me Vs DVD [watch this, he's clearly better then me but I do ok in some matches i guess, Idk i feel like i miss alot of opprotunitys and put myself in bad spots]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3STcsZYsqy8&index=2&list=PLiy1lEN0fdBwmtR_J6G_DVALTvMer40E3

Stream of Me Vs HBA Gohan [some matches are meh, but i take 1 game and have some close games, i Play alot better in these clips cuz it's friendlies so im not nervous and i play a bit more reckless]
http://www.twitch.tv/contibeastmode/v/21029068

Last edited:

OninO

Smash Journeyman
Hey dude,

Watching you vs. DVD.

Straight away, it took you 50 seconds, or 4-5 approaches to introduce grabs, despite the fact that his response to your lasers was shield. Think of Falco like any other character, if someone shields, the simple answer is grab, you can shine grab if you think they might try shield-grab you, but still grab. It doesn't matter if Falco doesn't get great follow ups (you can get up-throw shine on fast fallers with bad DI).

Definitely need to work on those waveshines, if you have 20XX a nice way I've found to practise is to select a human, or level 1 CPU fox, use Y+Dpad up to lock their percent at 0 on final destination, then try to keep them airborne with shine. Level 1 CPU is more challenging because he'll DI, but for just getting the timings, human (with no one piloting) is nicer because you can just practise wavedash down in place. Also, I suggest you put extra emphasis on practising wavedashing backwards out of shine, even if the opponent is going forwards. The reason is the timing is more challenging because ****ing it up will make you turnaround in shine. If you can do it backwards in both directions, you can do it forwards.

2nd game, still same problem, he's not afraid to just sit in shield till you **** up because you're not grabbing.

3rd game+2nd game+1st game, Your approaches aren't varying their spacing too well. You do use cross ups from close very well, but at mid range it's the same kind of timing and spacing. Try exploring:
  1. laser then dash dance,
  2. laser grab,
  3. laser wavedash back,
  4. tomahawk grab,
  5. cross up then u-tilt or bair to catch a jump,
  6. laser turn-around u-tilt at close-mid range.

Also against C. Falcon if they're not happy in shield, as this guy was, they'll sometimes try and nair over lasers, so at mid-far ranges you might get a lot of mileage out of turn around AC bair as a walling tactic, it usually beats nair in pretty handily.

Last edited:

Conti

Smash Ace
Hey dude,

Watching you vs. DVD.

Straight away, it took you 50 seconds, or 4-5 approaches to introduce grabs, despite the fact that his response to your lasers was shield. Think of Falco like any other character, if someone shields, the simple answer is grab, you can shine grab if you think they might try shield-grab you, but still grab. It doesn't matter if Falco doesn't get great follow ups (you can get up-throw shine on fast fallers with bad DI).

Definitely need to work on those waveshines, if you have 20XX a nice way I've found to practise is to select a human, or level 1 CPU fox, use Y+Dpad up to lock their percent at 0 on final destination, then try to keep them airborne with shine. Level 1 CPU is more challenging because he'll DI, but for just getting the timings, human (with no one piloting) is nicer because you can just practise wavedash down in place. Also, I suggest you put extra emphasis on practising wavedashing backwards out of shine, even if the opponent is going forwards. The reason is the timing is more challenging because ****ing it up will make you turnaround in shine. If you can do it backwards in both directions, you can do it forwards.

2nd game, still same problem, he's not afraid to just sit in shield till you **** up because you're not grabbing.

3rd game+2nd game+1st game, Your approaches aren't varying their spacing too well. You do use cross ups from close very well, but at mid range it's the same kind of timing and spacing. Try exploring:
  1. laser then dash dance,
  2. laser grab,
  3. laser wavedash back,
  4. tomahawk grab,
  5. cross up then u-tilt or bair to catch a jump,
  6. laser turn-around u-tilt at close-mid range.

Also against C. Falcon if they're not happy in shield, as this guy was, they'll sometimes try and nair over lasers, so you at mid-far ranges you might get a lot of mileage out of turn around AC bair as a walling tactic, it usually beats nair in pretty handily.
Your the best dude! Honestly i needed a breakdown like that so hardcore, I'll focus on those 6 things and try to figure out when to utilize those options because i knew my approach was aweful. I'll do some waveshine practice tonight ^_^ and see what happens from there

L33thal

Smash Apprentice
Hey dude, I like how serious you are about improving. First time doing in-depth analysis so take this with a grain of salt, but here's my two cents:

VS Attack Party (Game 1):
0:33 Don't know if that was a tech flub, but you seemed to hesitate about getting up when you were knocked down. When your opponent is that far away you should try to tech immediately which is safe because letting them close in on you makes it an unsafe tech-chase mix up game
0:37 You shot a laser to cover Fox's side-b but he DI'd pretty low so you might've been able to cover if you ran to the ledge and dash-canceled down-smash
0:41 Very questionable rising laser, my guess is that you were trying to full hop double laser or shine waveland onto platform? If he chose another option than jumping away your laser might've been punishable
0:45 You chose to side-b when he was on platform which I think is OK, but he might've been able to punish with Isai-drop bair
0:50 Shouldn't have cornered yourself to edge
0:53 Watch out for shield pokes, if you expect your opponent to hit you after you recover, try angling your shield downwards to avoid getting shield-poked
0:56 I feel like you can buffer moves, like roll, once you recover since you had time to shield
1:02 Yeah like you said, you went for the shield grab and got shined, when fox is pressuring your shield some mixups are to hold shield and respond to his followup, buffer roll, or spotdodge. Getting shined risks getting knocked down and edgeguarded, tech-chased, or losing position with slow getup
1:07 During this sequence I feel like you went into autopilot, lasering is pretty slow, laggy, and suboptimal when you have invincibility imo. Your nairs were kinda high and you were too antsy to shield, roll, and give up stage position
1:10 Overcomittal early nair that put you right near the edge, could've been really bad if Fox turned it around on you
1:13 The pressure you did on platform didn't really feel tight or safe, if Fox took advantage and got one shine on you while you were on platform it would've been risky for you
1:15 Telegraphed full hop dair which is punishable
1:17 You seem to get antsy and roll, and you said you had Brawl habits, but a better option you could've done to reposition after Fox's d-tilt is WD OoS
1:19 Again, you went into auto-pilot and naired when Fox was already above you
1:21 Lasered too close to his shield and didn't follow up with shine but early naired instead
1:22 You shielded and rolled away again after you got hit, you should practice reacting better whenever you get hit
1:24 Questionable full hop nair and then bair when he wasn't close to you
1:26 "Plain" nair approach, easily punishable with dash dance or wavedash grab
1:27 Shielding and lasering when he's not close
1:34 I feel like teching away made you lose a lot of stage position and put you right next to ledge
1:40 The dair wouldn't have covered if he teched
1:44 Shouldn't have wavedashed back when you had the advantage edgeguarding
1:45 Random approaching laser
2:59 The dair is too slow of a follow up for the b-throw
3:05 Should have shined OoS
3:11 You always seem to up-tilt right after you tech, and if they catch on that's punishable
3:21 Random f-smash

Thoughts:
OK so this is my first time doing in-depth analysis so I'll start with Game 1, some parts of the video are kinda laggy. I feel like you need to have more fluid tech skill, reaction time, spacing, and timing. There were a lot of moments where you did an aerial on Fox's shield but didn't follow up (e.g. shine didn't even come out). Like you said, you also didn't seem to be doing a lot of waveshines. You did your aerials too early and I noticed a couple tech flubs. You also need to work on your spacing. You had a bunch of questionably spaced aerials and lasers. These are some things you can grind and practice on CPUs, etc.

Now for the big things about your playstyle, I feel like you autopilot a lot. You did a lot of aerials and lasers when your opponent wasn't even there. Try to grind your tech skill until it gets pretty solid, and have good control over your character so that you can focus your eyes on your opponent's character. Play slower and more intentional. Most of your approaches were impatient and obvious, with the occasional laser WD back. Try to do more zoning with non-committal aerials and play the neutral game more. An analogy I like to use is: if you're playing basketball, you don't want to go for the 3-pointers right away and hope that you sink those. What you want to do is setup so that you have a good chance of making the ball go through the net. The other thing is you autopilot on defense. You always shield preemptively even when your opponent is far away and you roll away and give up stage position when you don't need to. You also hold shield when you land after recovering instead of buffering a roll, etc.

Go for more pokes instead of committing and giving up stage position. When they're on platforms, one thing you could do is short hop u-air below them to force them to shield or jump, then read their jump. And to follow up on OninO said, start to play the mix up game. Though I think OninO overemphasizes conditioning and grabbing (which are better for Marth and Fox because they get a lot more from grabs with less risk than Falco), Falco has the advantage where his moves are super strong and take up a lot of space. Falco's approaches can be really safe and they force your opponent to react in certain ways in which you can mix it up and punish their escape options. Some mixups I like are:

-Laser->grab
-Late nair->jab
-Laser->turnaround up-tilt (don't really recommend if you don't have the timing/spacing down)
-Short hop forward->early dair (don't fast fall)->fade back
-Position laser so laser hits their shield (or their character), land close, and shine

You can also autocancel bair to keep aggro players out and zone. One of Falco's strengths is that when you lock people in shield by getting a shine-confirm, you have the aggressive momentum to do whatever you want to follow up. Early aerials after shine aren't safe (they can still be a mixup), but there's a bunch of safe(ish) options to cover their escape options. Never try to break people's shields with shield pressure, try to pay attention to their escape options. You can do stuff like:

-Shine->Early fadeback nair
-Shine->Early fadeback dair
-Shine->grab
-Westballz pressure
-Multishine
-Shine->wavedash back on characters with slower grabs or people who roll in a lot

So all in all: more tech skill training, more concept of neutral game and less over-committal approaches, more attention on your opponent's character and less autopiloting, a more developed mixup and shield pressure game

Last edited:

Conti

Smash Ace
I'm going to go in depth on this in a little bit and try to take some notes on it. Thanks much dude, I've been needing a second by second breakdown because tbh i have very little decision making in this game, its all been guess and check til now because I have ideas on what I should be doing but never know when to do it. And I stay trying to upgrade my tech. But yeah i definitely feel progression which is great. I haven't felt like im actually progressing in smash since Brawl [i had a rough ride with PM and WiiU, alot to say]. You guys are probabley the main reason why I've been steadily improving tho. I work hard to fix my mistakes, but i can never tell what they are because in my world. They are tech flubs 65% of the time xD, the other 35% is dumb decisions because i was scared I would tech flub or just overestimate and don't know the right option.
I got a bit better at firebird stalls recently, hopefully you will see them and ledge dashes in my next tournament gameplay. I'll try to open up the more advanced stuff in tourn, up until now i been playing very reserved and anti-flubby.
Oh and Ty for pointing out my Utilt habit. i noticed i do it vs Spacies and falcon alot, idk why. What else should i be trying to do in those situations instead?
Super dumb question, How do I properly AC Bair. Like i forgot AC's are even a thing in this game because I'm always trying to LCancle. Like does the Bair have to be about to be ending? Like can I Raising SH Bair to FF and AC? or does that have to be LCancled. Otherwise if I just do a normal raising SH Bair it'll just AC right?
Oh and i love your perspective on grabs, tbh, there's just so many ways to play falco, I want to hybrid all of these playstyles into like one super style xD I'll def keep everything you wrote in that paragraph in mind and incorperate it in.

Anyways, another tournament happened, Got 3rd again -.- This gameplay happened before I saw this post by l33thal, but here's me getting beat by HBA Gohan, the peach player, Game1 was really bad, I was super nervous and wasn't ready to play at his level, Maybe touch a little on the big nooby mistakes i made that game, but id rather focus on the games afterwards where I feel I played a little better but still just got dominated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtSK5HNvAlo&list=PLiy1lEN0fdByFYQUdEvr9lHfXpobiGdx5&index=4

Also I really really really need help with the Puff MU. I been struggling with it since I started. [Alot of my tournament losses have been to Jiggs]. Here's LFs, Imo I choked vs this guy he even admitted I was playing crappy and he lucked out :/ But a big part of it is i got outplayed because I don't know the matchup entirely yet and Nerves exploited that weakness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPxy6-EYjVw&index=2&list=PLiy1lEN0fdByFYQUdEvr9lHfXpobiGdx5

Ty guys! <3

Hey dude, I like how serious you are about improving. First time doing in-depth analysis so take this with a grain of salt, but here's my two cents:

VS Attack Party (Game 1):
0:33 Don't know if that was a tech flub, but you seemed to hesitate about getting up when you were knocked down. When your opponent is that far away you should try to tech immediately which is safe because letting them close in on you makes it an unsafe tech-chase mix up game
0:37 You shot a laser to cover Fox's side-b but he DI'd pretty low so you might've been able to cover if you ran to the ledge and dash-canceled down-smash
0:41 Very questionable rising laser, my guess is that you were trying to full hop double laser or shine waveland onto platform? If he chose another option than jumping away your laser might've been punishable
0:45 You chose to side-b when he was on platform which I think is OK, but he might've been able to punish with Isai-drop bair
0:50 Shouldn't have cornered yourself to edge
0:53 Watch out for shield pokes, if you expect your opponent to hit you after you recover, try angling your shield downwards to avoid getting shield-poked
0:56 I feel like you can buffer moves, like roll, once you recover since you had time to shield
1:02 Yeah like you said, you went for the shield grab and got shined, when fox is pressuring your shield some mixups are to hold shield and respond to his followup, buffer roll, or spotdodge. Getting shined risks getting knocked down and edgeguarded, tech-chased, or losing position with slow getup
1:07 During this sequence I feel like you went into autopilot, lasering is pretty slow, laggy, and suboptimal when you have invincibility imo. Your nairs were kinda high and you were too antsy to shield, roll, and give up stage position
1:10 Overcomittal early nair that put you right near the edge, could've been really bad if Fox turned it around on you
1:13 The pressure you did on platform didn't really feel tight or safe, if Fox took advantage and got one shine on you while you were on platform it would've been risky for you
1:15 Telegraphed full hop dair which is punishable
1:17 You seem to get antsy and roll, and you said you had Brawl habits, but a better option you could've done to reposition after Fox's d-tilt is WD OoS
1:19 Again, you went into auto-pilot and naired when Fox was already above you
1:21 Lasered too close to his shield and didn't follow up with shine but early naired instead
1:22 You shielded and rolled away again after you got hit, you should practice reacting better whenever you get hit
1:24 Questionable full hop nair and then bair when he wasn't close to you
1:26 "Plain" nair approach, easily punishable with dash dance or wavedash grab
1:27 Shielding and lasering when he's not close
1:34 I feel like teching away made you lose a lot of stage position and put you right next to ledge
1:40 The dair wouldn't have covered if he teched
1:44 Shouldn't have wavedashed back when you had the advantage edgeguarding
1:45 Random approaching laser
2:59 The dair is too slow of a follow up for the b-throw
3:05 Should have shined OoS
3:11 You always seem to up-tilt right after you tech, and if they catch on that's punishable
3:21 Random f-smash

Thoughts:
OK so this is my first time doing in-depth analysis so I'll start with Game 1, some parts of the video are kinda laggy. I feel like you need to have more fluid tech skill, reaction time, spacing, and timing. There were a lot of moments where you did an aerial on Fox's shield but didn't follow up (e.g. shine didn't even come out). Like you said, you also didn't seem to be doing a lot of waveshines. You did your aerials too early and I noticed a couple tech flubs. You also need to work on your spacing. You had a bunch of questionably spaced aerials and lasers. These are some things you can grind and practice on CPUs, etc.

Now for the big things about your playstyle, I feel like you autopilot a lot. You did a lot of aerials and lasers when your opponent wasn't even there. Try to grind your tech skill until it gets pretty solid, and have good control over your character so that you can focus your eyes on your opponent's character. Play slower and more intentional. Most of your approaches were impatient and obvious, with the occasional laser WD back. Try to do more zoning with non-committal aerials and play the neutral game more. An analogy I like to use is: if you're playing basketball, you don't want to go for the 3-pointers right away and hope that you sink those. What you want to do is setup so that you have a good chance of making the ball go through the net. The other thing is you autopilot on defense. You always shield preemptively even when your opponent is far away and you roll away and give up stage position when you don't need to. You also hold shield when you land after recovering instead of buffering a roll, etc.

Go for more pokes instead of committing and giving up stage position. When they're on platforms, one thing you could do is short hop u-air below them to force them to shield or jump, then read their jump. And to follow up on OninO said, start to play the mix up game. Though I think OninO overemphasizes conditioning and grabbing (which are better for Marth and Fox because they get a lot more from grabs with less risk than Falco), Falco has the advantage where his moves are super strong and take up a lot of space. Falco's approaches can be really safe and they force your opponent to react in certain ways in which you can mix it up and punish their escape options. Some mixups I like are:

-Laser->grab
-Late nair->jab
-Laser->turnaround up-tilt (don't really recommend if you don't have the timing/spacing down)
-Short hop forward->early dair (don't fast fall)->fade back
-Position laser so laser hits their shield (or their character), land close, and shine

You can also autocancel bair to keep aggro players out and zone. One of Falco's strengths is that when you lock people in shield by getting a shine-confirm, you have the aggressive momentum to do whatever you want to follow up. Early aerials after shine aren't safe (they can still be a mixup), but there's a bunch of safe(ish) options to cover their escape options. Never try to break people's shields with shield pressure, try to pay attention to their escape options. You can do stuff like:

-Shine->Early fadeback nair
-Shine->Early fadeback dair
-Shine->grab
-Westballz pressure
-Multishine
-Shine->wavedash back on characters with slower grabs or people who roll in a lot

So all in all: more tech skill training, more concept of neutral game and less over-committal approaches, more attention on your opponent's character and less autopiloting, a more developed mixup and shield pressure game

MrYaah

Smash Rookie
auto cancel bair is all about starting the bair as soon as possible and not fast falling at the first possible frame. Play around with short hop bairing in 20xx or netplay with the flash red on failed l-cancel setting on then do an instant bair with no l-cancel or fastfall and it shouldnt flash read because you auto cancel, then do an instant bair and fastfall it as fast as possible and it will flash red. Then just mess around with fast fall timing until you find approximately where you can fastfall without hitting the ground before the auto cancel window. TBH i think you can barely fastfall but I don't use auto cancel bair very much so I dont know the timings off the top of my head and I cannot check right now.

OninO

Smash Journeyman
Couple of little things Conti Conti

You gave up a stock on dreamland vs. Peach at a very low percent because your recovery options were predictable, you're doing a lot of quick DJ to phantasm onto stage.

You need to really think about what you're trying to achieve every time you're next to someone. In the early stocks of this game you elicited a roll by f-tilting his shield but then you ran away and missed your punish op. What were you hoping for when you f-tilted at that range? You know he can't grab you, it's also unlikely he can connect nair out of shield, so you're looking for him to either roll through, roll away or wavedash out.

You had a lead and then you started to crumble when you go pressured in the corner. You can't afford to be too passive in a corner with any character. You also started cross up fairing, which makes no sense. I assume you were trying to cross up dair?

Sorry don't have time for any more atm, will try to look back later.

RevySSB

Smash Cadet
Alright so i recently went to a tournament.
I think i got last place or something because i was really nervous. I saw that i were alot better than most of the people there but i lost to Peach in my first game and then Marth in my second game because i suck at the marth mu.
I recently played against this guy whos like 7th ranked in our City's power ranking
Anyway he plays fox and shiek and that i just have some huge problems with Sheik in general.
Her stupid auto combos and super easy edgeguards just really gets me frustrated. Anyway heres some quick sets that he destroyed me in but i just dont know why i lost them. He just grabs and then gimps me and then i lose. Can someone please criticize me and tell me what im doing wrong in this matchup or just in general? Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idnjecS-jmk

OninO

Smash Journeyman
I watched that whole thing and there's not a lot of tactical advice I can give you that's going to improve the outcome.

As with everyone just starting out, you need a massive investment in tech-skill.

Here's some general behavioural stuff that might make a difference:
  1. Don't dair shields, ever (of course not ever, but in 99% of scenarios if you daired a shield you misread). Just grab. The optimal punish for shield is grab with every character, it doesn't matter that you don't get 60% off it. Against shiek just f-throw/b-throw and take the stage position. D-throw to test if they can tech it and if they can't then d-throw->shine is some nice cheese.
  2. Move. I know for a fact that your static play in the first game is probably due to nerves. I've been through that, and to an extent still suffer from it even now. There's no real answer to that problem except more exposure to adrenaline. Money match everyone you know (for a dollar or whatever gets you stressed out but that you can handle losing). The fact remains though that you must move. This is a game about position so ambiguity of position is crucial.
Attitude: Never, ever discount your opponent's character for any reason. Just answer them. Peach has D-smash? Don't try to shine as often, or only shine on hit confirms (avoid the blender). Or, play around it completely, laser camp her till the can't crouch-cancel anything.

Shiek does not have super easy edge guards and auto combos. Your recovery is predictable (you always double jump phantasm), and you don't DI the setup correctly. You can always play better. The mindset that leads you to bemoan another character's options will stop you thinking clearly about how to address them.

Last edited:

RevySSB

Smash Cadet
I watched that whole thing and there's not a lot of tactical advice I can give you that's going to improve the outcome.

As with everyone just starting out, you need a massive investment in tech-skill.

Here's some general behavioural stuff that might make a difference:
  1. Don't dair shields, ever (of course not ever, but in 99% of scenarios if you daired a shield you misread). Just grab. The optimal punish for shield is grab with every character, it doesn't matter that you don't get 60% off it. Against shiek just f-throw/b-throw and take the stage position. D-throw to test if they can tech it and if they can't then d-throw->shine is some nice cheese.
  2. Move. I know for a fact that your static play in the first game is probably due to nerves. I've been through that, and to an extent still suffer from it even now. There's no real answer to that problem except more exposure to adrenaline. Money match everyone you know (for a dollar or whatever gets you stressed out but that you can handle losing). The fact remains though that you must move. This is a game about position so ambiguity of position is crucial.
Attitude: Never, ever discount your opponent's character for any reason. Just answer them. Peach has D-smash? Don't try to shine as often, or only shine on hit confirms (avoid the blender). Or, play around it completely, laser camp her till the can't crouch-cancel anything.

Shiek does not have super easy edge guards and auto combos. Your recovery is predictable (you always double jump phantasm), and you don't DI the setup correctly. You can always play better. The mindset that leads you to bemoan another character's options will stop you thinking clearly about how to address them.
I wouldn't say im not good at techskill infact that would be my one of my strong points. Maybe not multishine but defenitely not bad at it, what would you say im lacking in techskill?

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Like I said, I can't look at the video for whatever reason, so I can't critique it. What OninO OninO said is pretty good, given that it sounds that you're still a pretty low-level player.

RevySSB

Smash Cadet
Like I said, I can't look at the video for whatever reason, so I can't critique it. What OninO OninO said is pretty good, given that it sounds that you're still a pretty low-level player.
I dont understand how im losing. My out of shield things always end up in a spotdodge and sometimes i spaghetti really hard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWwlFA_8wco&feature=youtu.be
heres another set against a falco
i have no idea how to play the falco ditto. either i just get lasered and get comboed or the opponet gets lasered and gets comboed. I dont get it

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
RevySSB RevySSB A lot of your issues were how you handled lasers and your use of shield. When lasers connect, you have 4 frames of hitlag and 8 frames of hitstun on you: a whopping 1/5 of a second until you can next move. Try lasering ASAP after getting hit by your opponents laser in order to try and establish dominance. Most of the MU depends on who has the better laser game. If your opponent is getting in a lot of lasers, full hop out and try to re-establish control with a falling laser. Most of your opponents punishes came from his realizing how much you LOVED your shield and grabbing you for it. Spotdodges aren't THAT amazing of an option. Shine, bair, nair, dair, and WD are all WAY better OoS options when you have to go into shield. It's very rare, though, that a bit of nice movement won't help you avoid followups. One last note: while DI mixups are important, try not to DI in against Falco's combos. The more you DI in, the nastier they get. If you have to, try to get onto the ledge to stop his combo and come back with a good WL, ledgedash, or ledgehop aerial to re-establish our control.

I'm not too good at the MU though, so my advice might've just been crap. That's what I've seen and heard thus far, though.

RevySSB

Smash Cadet
RevySSB RevySSB A lot of your issues were how you handled lasers and your use of shield. When lasers connect, you have 4 frames of hitlag and 8 frames of hitstun on you: a whopping 1/5 of a second until you can next move. Try lasering ASAP after getting hit by your opponents laser in order to try and establish dominance. Most of the MU depends on who has the better laser game. If your opponent is getting in a lot of lasers, full hop out and try to re-establish control with a falling laser. Most of your opponents punishes came from his realizing how much you LOVED your shield and grabbing you for it. Spotdodges aren't THAT amazing of an option. Shine, bair, nair, dair, and WD are all WAY better OoS options when you have to go into shield. It's very rare, though, that a bit of nice movement won't help you avoid followups. One last note: while DI mixups are important, try not to DI in against Falco's combos. The more you DI in, the nastier they get. If you have to, try to get onto the ledge to stop his combo and come back with a good WL, ledgedash, or ledgehop aerial to re-establish our control.

I'm not too good at the MU though, so my advice might've just been crap. That's what I've seen and heard thus far, though.
I guess you helped me with realizing better out of shield options and yeah you helped me a little bit. But i still dont realize why i lose the majority of my games so i guess ill try to record another one and hope someone criticizes me

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
I guess you helped me with realizing better out of shield options and yeah you helped me a little bit. But i still dont realize why i lose the majority of my games so i guess ill try to record another one and hope someone criticizes me
It takes a while to realize why you're losing games and then a bit longer to stop it. It took me a while to realize that I was losing to my bro's Sheik due to stupid lasers and under-utilization of CC against a Sheik that doesn't dthrow techchase. Once I realized this, I made the adjustment and he hasn't beaten me in well over a month.

OninO

Smash Journeyman
RevySSB RevySSB Hey bro, I don't have time to rewatch the whole thing but I went to the first game to remind myself a little bit.

Here are some of your technical weaknesses:
  1. You miss fast-falls on dairs in close and dairs that hit before the apex of your jump (usually these are the same things).
  2. You miss L-cancels on dairs (there's a cross up dair that you miss the L-cancel on in the first minute or so). If you are hitting your L-cancels, then you're not moving fast enough.
  3. You don't buffer roll, spot-dodge, or shield when being chased by Shiek's dash attack during that long first string she does on you.
  4. You tournament winner from the edge, alternatively you ledgehop aerial. You need ledge dash, and you need ledgehop double laser (of the two, ledge dash is much more important).
  5. You reverse lasers that shouldn't be reversed
  6. All your lasers are high, you don't shoot low lasers. As an extension of this, and more importantly, you don't vary your laser height.
  7. You drop shield when you should either roll, or better wavedash out. Dropping shield is literally the worst thing you can ever do out of shield.
  8. You miss waveshines frequently (although against Shiek at low percents, the only way to guarantee a pillar connects is to DJ immediately and hope their DI is bad).
  9. Coming back to 2, you're slow everywhere. Get 20XX 4.0b4 turn on color overlays for the framestate "Wait". Make it some really gratuitous color. Play against a friend and just study how much time you spend as this gratuitous "Waiting" color. It's a lot in the games you've shown so far. To get fast, you have to master IASA frames and moving/acting asap out of both landing lag, and more importantly, tech and roll animations.
Here are some of your gameplay weaknesses:
  1. You laser too close when Shiek can reach you either with an OoS option or she's not in shield at all.
  2. You aerial in bad locations with no shine. (You're too close and miss shine, or your're too high and don't fade).
  3. As mentioned earlier, you dair shielding opponents high leaving you vulnerable to grabs. If you are speculating, use nair for safety. If you have a solid read on shield, use late nair, also for safety (or better yet grab). If you have a solid read on movement, then and only then should you throw out a dair in neutral.
  4. You uptilt a shielding shiek who's facing you (just bad, not safe). You then one up it and shine out of range, followed by a wavedash IN towards the shielding shiek. Think about this sequence, there's so much wrong with it. In general, don't wavedash towards people during an aggression string, it's not safe (despite what Westballz shield pressure strings might imply).
  5. You never cross up aerial (on purpose). The one time you did by accident (0:57) you gave up a position of enormous power (Shiek in shield, with her back to you, with you having stage dominance). You retreated immediately behind an AC bair. You could have turned around and jabbed. Just wait, maybe she bairs OoS from that position, so you crouch cancel immediately, wait for it, then shine.
  6. You always double jump phantasm if it's an option. (Try just DJ'ing to the ledge when you can). Mixing in firebirds sounds bad, but if shiek is run off DJ->nairing to cover phantasm it's more difficult for her to cover firebird to the ledge.
  7. MIX UPs, you don't have any. If you do, you aren't applying them, and I'm willing to bet you haven't thought about what each of your possible aggression sequences cause your opponent to want to do (or are intended to make him want to do). Your aggression sequences are the same laser pattern + ****tily spaced aerials.
  8. You don't GRAB. Grab, all the time. If you get someone to shield because they're scared of eating a shine, grab them. Throw them for position then do it again and again until they're off stage.

Last edited:

RevySSB

Smash Cadet
RevySSB RevySSB Hey bro, I don't have time to rewatch the whole thing but I went to the first game to remind myself a little bit.

Here are some of your technical weaknesses:
  1. You miss fast-falls on dairs in close and dairs that hit before the apex of your jump (usually these are the same things).
  2. You miss L-cancels on dairs (there's a cross up dair that you miss the L-cancel on in the first minute or so). If you are hitting your L-cancels, then you're not moving fast enough.
  3. You don't buffer roll, spot-dodge, or shield when being chased by Shiek's dash attack during that long first string she does on you.
  4. You tournament winner from the edge, alternatively you ledgehop aerial. You need ledge dash, and you need ledgehop double laser (of the two, ledge dash is much more important).
  5. You reverse lasers that shouldn't be reversed
  6. All your lasers are high, you don't shoot low lasers. As an extension of this, and more importantly, you don't vary your laser height.
  7. You drop shield when you should either roll, or better wavedash out. Dropping shield is literally the worst thing you can ever do out of shield.
  8. You miss waveshines frequently (although against Shiek at low percents, the only way to guarantee a pillar connects is to DJ immediately and hope their DI is bad).
  9. Coming back to 2, you're slow everywhere. Get 20XX 4.0b4 turn on color overlays for the framestate "Wait". Make it some really gratuitous color. Play against a friend and just study how much time you spend as this gratuitous "Waiting" color. It's a lot in the games you've shown so far. To get fast, you have to master IASA frames and moving/acting asap out of both landing lag, and more importantly, tech and roll animations.
Here are some of your gameplay weaknesses:
  1. You laser too close when Shiek can reach you either with an OoS option or she's not in shield at all.
  2. You aerial in bad locations with no shine. (You're too close and miss shine, or your're too high and don't fade).
  3. As mentioned earlier, you dair shielding opponents high leaving you vulnerable to grabs. If you are speculating, use nair for safety. If you have a solid read on shield, use late nair, also for safety (or better yet grab). If you have a solid read on movement, then and only then should you throw out a dair in neutral.
  4. You uptilt a shielding shiek who's facing you (just bad, not safe). You then one up it and shine out of range, followed by a wavedash IN towards the shielding shiek. Think about this sequence, there's so much wrong with it. In general, don't wavedash towards people during an aggression string, it's not safe (despite what Westballz shield pressure strings might imply).
  5. You never cross up aerial (on purpose). The one time you did by accident (0:57) you gave up a position of enormous power (Shiek in shield, with her back to you, with you having stage dominance). You retreated immediately behind an AC bair. You could have turned around and jabbed. Just wait, maybe she bairs OoS from that position, so you crouch cancel immediately, wait for it, then shine.
  6. You always double jump phantasm if it's an option. (Try just DJ'ing to the ledge when you can). Mixing in firebirds sounds bad, but if shiek is run off DJ->nairing to cover phantasm it's more difficult for her to cover firebird to the ledge.
  7. MIX UPs, you don't have any. If you do, you aren't applying them, and I'm willing to bet you haven't thought about what each of your possible aggression sequences cause your opponent to want to do (or are intended to make him want to do). Your aggression sequences are the same laser pattern + ****tily spaced aerials.
  8. You don't GRAB. Grab, all the time. If you get someone to shield because they're scared of eating a shine, grab them. Throw them for position then do it again and again until they're off stage.
Hey man thats some really nice info i should keep them in mind. Also when i do reverse lasers i dont mean it, thats my controller. I dont really know how to practice my lcancel dairs because everytime i do them against a cpu i can do it but i fail sometimes in a real match. Also i dont know what you mean with ''cross up aerial'' sorry haha. I notifced that i dont really think at all when i play because this is much stuff i already know i can do better on, i should really try to think more because i think i have a good talent for Smash. I really appreacite the effort you put in and im really thankful. I am going to be posting more videos when i improved on these things and want to improve even more. Also do you have any laser pattern tips because i just laser like 4 times and then i just in.

OninO

Smash Journeyman
RevySSB RevySSB

For things like hitting your fast-fall on early dairs, you have to actively practise the awkward interactions as well as the easy ones (laser->laser->late nair->shine etc.) Just make sure you dedicate some time to getting fast fall on weird close in hits.

Cross up aerial means an aerial that goes from one side of the opponent to the other, so you end up on the opposite side of them from where you started.

The thinking in smash becomes easier as more and more of the technical stuff becomes well practised. It's also easier if you dedicate time to thinking outside the game itself. So visualise positions and imagine how you can approach (this gets easier as you get more experience). To get better at visualisation, you need to study. You need to study things like "what does x character usually do in y situation", "what is x character's best option when being pressured with y option", etc. etc. Then picture the character doing those things and what you should do to counter.

This leads to laser patterns. You need to do some thinking about what exactly you're trying to make the opponent do. Also what information you're giving to the opponent. When you do 4 lasers then go in more than a couple of times, a competent opponent will note it, and time their counter attack for after your 4th laser. If you mix up the number, timing and position from which you launch the lasers, you make it difficult for them to time their counter attack and from there you make it possible to encourage certain moves and subsequently punish them.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
RevySSB RevySSB If your controller is often messing up and giving you reverse SHL instead of just SHL because of the speed in which you dash and laser, try to maybe slow down when you press the B button, get used to that controller, or even get a new one. I've played on a borrowed controller one time that messed up and forced me to reverse SHL a lot of times and it seriously sucked. Just figure out what'll work for you.

TallandGangly

Smash Cadet
Hey! Never been on this thread before, but it looks like people give some amazing feedback, and I would love to have someone else's thoughts on some of my games. I really want to get better, but sometimes I struggle finding things to look for in my own matches. If anyone would be willing to take a look at some of my games, I would appreciate it.

Here is a set that I lost (was accidentally recording at 25 fps :/ )
https://youtu.be/Tc9lj3Lc-UM?list=PL5y5CX8stgyCM2dd0OvkW7k4HD1P4Uag3

Here is a set that I won:
https://youtu.be/aXuLRDnWMfw?list=PL5y5CX8stgyCM2dd0OvkW7k4HD1P4Uag3

Let me know if this thread should be posted somewhere else. Thanks!

RevySSB

Smash Cadet
RevySSB RevySSB

For things like hitting your fast-fall on early dairs, you have to actively practise the awkward interactions as well as the easy ones (laser->laser->late nair->shine etc.) Just make sure you dedicate some time to getting fast fall on weird close in hits.

Cross up aerial means an aerial that goes from one side of the opponent to the other, so you end up on the opposite side of them from where you started.

The thinking in smash becomes easier as more and more of the technical stuff becomes well practised. It's also easier if you dedicate time to thinking outside the game itself. So visualise positions and imagine how you can approach (this gets easier as you get more experience). To get better at visualisation, you need to study. You need to study things like "what does x character usually do in y situation", "what is x character's best option when being pressured with y option", etc. etc. Then picture the character doing those things and what you should do to counter.

This leads to laser patterns. You need to do some thinking about what exactly you're trying to make the opponent do. Also what information you're giving to the opponent. When you do 4 lasers then go in more than a couple of times, a competent opponent will note it, and time their counter attack for after your 4th laser. If you mix up the number, timing and position from which you launch the lasers, you make it difficult for them to time their counter attack and from there you make it possible to encourage certain moves and subsequently punish them.
I get what you mean but i play Smash all day and i dont seem to notice if i improve. The only times i notice i become better is when i spend hours on techskill and i see myself learning the tech. Also i figured out how to do ledgedashes a long time ago but i just dont use it because well yeah i'm just too lazy but i started doing them more now that you said i should. Also i played against a guy who said that my neutral game sucks which is true so i guess i just gotta grind more Melee to get improve on that. I have only played melee for about 4 months now and it's been a great experience so far.

Also should i just go for grabs sometimes when im ''shield pressuring'' or what
I have never used falcos grabs because they all suck lmao. I used to do downthrow into shine but all my opponents i play against techs left or right. I started using upthrow into shine but i dont always get it off. Thanks anyway im gonna try to start cross up aerialing and mixing up my timing of my lasers

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
I get what you mean but i play Smash all day and i dont seem to notice if i improve. The only times i notice i become better is when i spend hours on techskill and i see myself learning the tech. Also i figured out how to do ledgedashes a long time ago but i just dont use it because well yeah i'm just too lazy but i started doing them more now that you said i should. Also i played against a guy who said that my neutral game sucks which is true so i guess i just gotta grind more Melee to get improve on that. I have only played melee for about 4 months now and it's been a great experience so far.

Also should i just go for grabs sometimes when im ''shield pressuring'' or what
I have never used falcos grabs because they all suck lmao. I used to do downthrow into shine but all my opponents i play against techs left or right. I started using upthrow into shine but i dont always get it off. Thanks anyway im gonna try to start cross up aerialing and mixing up my timing of my lasers
I can handle some of this. If you're just playing against CPUs without thinking about it too much, then of course you won't see much improvement. You're just playing on autopilot without any real awareness. As far as grabs go, uthrow shine is entirely dependent on their DI, but is generally possible if your reactions are quick. If they DI in, bthrow regrab is legit. Fthrow is extremely useful for putting somebody offstage. Another simple use for uthrow is making them go onto the platform and allowing you to get a platform chase.

TallandGangly TallandGangly I don't have the time to properly look over your sets right now, but I noticed one thing immediately: Once you lose your lead, you start playing EXTREMELY aggressively. Normally when you're behind, you'll want a more defensive playstyle so that you can just react to what they do and wall them out. When you're playing from behind, slow the game down and make them play to your speed. Do NOT trade. That's all I have to say. I'll admit that going in can help sometimes, but only if your opponent can't handle an aggressive playstyle.

Conti

Smash Ace
Hey guys :) the critiques you guys gave me last year helped out a lot.
I'm improving but still maddd kinks in my gameplay n not good xD (but somehow was able to snag 5th on my local scenes PR for Melee which is OK I guess). Here's me vs that peach player Gohan. I actually took a game xD still suck at wave shines n ledgedashes but Idk focus more on Idk my decision making n less on my flubs Lol. I really need more help with my combo game tbh. N I guess more mixups instead of lazy approaches

https://youtu.be/cpCiOGLM4vA

Last edited:

Frenzy231199

Smash Cadet
Hey guys :) the critiques you guys gave me last year helped out a lot.
I'm improving but still maddd kinks in my gameplay n not good xD (but somehow was able to snag 5th on my local scenes PR for Melee which is OK I guess). Here's me vs that peach player Gohan. I actually took a game xD still suck at wave shines n ledgedashes but Idk focus more on Idk my decision making n less on my flubs Lol. I really need more help with my combo game tbh. N I guess more mixups instead of lazy approaches

https://youtu.be/cpCiOGLM4vA
I've only watched the first two games but from what I can tell you are dealing with Peach floating over lasers very well and you are getting some decent punishes. However, I think you could improve by adjusting the heights of your aerials when approaching - multiple times you got caught by FC B-Airs OOS which is a result of doing aerials too high on shield. Also I noticed that you had a tendency to try and challenge Peach's Up-B with Aerial, here it is better to use a D-Smash as every Aerial you have gets outprioritized by Peach's Up-B.

OninO

Smash Journeyman
couple of things I look for against peach:
  1. When she's ~45-50 % she's vulnerable to being nair planed across the stage, I'm not sure if there's any DI that can really help (maybe DI up and try jump out). Anyway, you can try and look to finish her early by nair planing to one side and dairing her.
  2. Don't waveshine against peach, just double jump out and hope she ****ed up her DI, if she got hard away, then just reset and try and harry her with lasers as she descends, look for back airs/upairs.
  3. If she's floating far away from you, on almost every stage you can put a laser at her float height by full hopping, shooting and fast falling at the apex of your jump, this should put a laser at side platform height. Also run off DJ back to platform and laser can put a quick 2 lasers at side height. (Can be done as a reversal when facing away from her, just run off then reverse the lasers back to the platform).
  4. If you catch her with a dair, always be wary of the fact that she will reel out of shine range most times. Dair->Grab and Dair->D-tilt are good. At 0% U-throw to U-air is close to gauranteed on anything except the hardest DI away.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
couple of things I look for against peach:
  1. When she's ~45-50 % she's vulnerable to being nair planed across the stage, I'm not sure if there's any DI that can really help (maybe DI up and try jump out). Anyway, you can try and look to finish her early by nair planing to one side and dairing her.
  2. Don't waveshine against peach, just double jump out and hope she ****ed up her DI, if she got hard away, then just reset and try and harry her with lasers as she descends, look for back airs/upairs.
  3. If she's floating far away from you, on almost every stage you can put a laser at her float height by full hopping, shooting and fast falling at the apex of your jump, this should put a laser at side platform height. Also run off DJ back to platform and laser can put a quick 2 lasers at side height. (Can be done as a reversal when facing away from her, just run off then reverse the lasers back to the platform).
  4. If you catch her with a dair, always be wary of the fact that she will reel out of shine range most times. Dair->Grab and Dair->D-tilt are good. At 0% U-throw to U-air is close to gauranteed on anything except the hardest DI away.
Holy **** you can nairplane peach? I'm gonna have to practice this later.

RevySSB

Smash Cadet
This is one of the problems i have when i play. I just get overwhelmed sometimes. This match is very short because i ragequitted but what causes me to just get destroyed by this falco? Hes obviously better than me but i just dont know. He just kept lasering me and being alot faster than me. I am always the faster one when i play and playing against someone like him i just dont know
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9rBjnp2WhY&feature=youtu.be

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
This is one of the problems i have when i play. I just get overwhelmed sometimes. This match is very short because i ragequitted but what causes me to just get destroyed by this falco? Hes obviously better than me but i just dont know. He just kept lasering me and being alot faster than me. I am always the faster one when i play and playing against someone like him i just dont know
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9rBjnp2WhY&feature=youtu.be
The ditto is probably one of the most infuriating MUs in the entire game. I played... IDK probably 100+ Falco dittos in friendlies today at our Arcadian, and that was the only way for me to get better at it. You have to just get your face beat in again and again in order to improve at this MU. If there are any pretty good Falco's in your area that'd be willing to do just that for you, see if you can meet up at some point.

Top Bottom