• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The OFFICIAL Duck Hunt Dog Thread

Judge Spear

Smash Cadet
I'd call the dog Hunter, the Duck Hunt bloodhound.

He and R.O.B. would make perfect retro characters in SSBB.

My moveset for Hunter, using ideas from Ferro de Lupe:

A attacks: as Ferro de Lupe said, various biting and clawing attacks.

His dashing animation has him running on all fours.

Neutral B: Clay Pigeon: Hunter tosses clay pigeons (those gray discs in the third game mode).

Up-B: Mallard Lift: Hunter pulls out two ducks, which carry him upwards. It would have the speed of Yoshi's second jump and the vertical height of it as well. His third jump/recovery.

Smash-B: Rabid Chomp: Hunter falls on all fours, lunges towards the opponent, and takes a large biting action. At farther ranges, his bite causes damage and moderate knockback. At close range, Hunter secures his hold on the opponent, and proceeds to thrash him around in his mouth as dog behavior dictates. This move is similar to Bowser's Koopa Klaw.

Down-B: Hunter Pounce: As with Ferro de Lupe's idea. Hunter pounces a short distance in the direction he is facing. The move would have a medium lag (Hunter has to rear up for the pounce), fairly high priority, and medium knockback. It can KO opponents at high percentages.

Air attacks: Mule kicks, headbutts, forearm swipes.

Brawl Special move: Migration: Hunter summons a raft of ducks which swarms on the screen, hitting opponents for damage. This move is similar to releasing Unown from a Pokeball.

Taunt: Take a wild guess. If it had the original NES laughter sound effect, it'd be PERFECT.

A possible victory pose: Hunter reaches behind his back, pulls out two ducks, and grins widely, facing the camera.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
Wow...normally, I hate making a post sandwich like this, but I think Hunter is the PERFECT name for him. Kudos to you. Major kudos.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
Judge Spear said:
Neutral B: Clay Pigeon: Hunter tosses clay pigeons (those gray discs in the third game mode).

Smash-B: Rabid Chomp: Hunter falls on all fours, lunges towards the opponent, and takes a large biting action. At farther ranges, his bite causes damage and moderate knockback. At close range, Hunter secures his hold on the opponent, and proceeds to thrash him around in his mouth as dog behavior dictates. This move is similar to Bowser's Koopa Klaw.
Ok, since your Smash B is a bit better than mine, I'll make one slight alteration. Instead of launching the clay pidgeons, he would release a duck in the manner previously described.

Come on...admit it. You want to see it happen. Plus, I just don't picture Dog throwing the pidgeons after some further thought. Really, the only two things Dog had in common with the pidgeons were that they were in his game and they used the gun; nothing else really.

I think he should be 2-D (he just wouldn't look right in 3-D.) And all sounds related ot his game should be included (you know they have a vault or something with all these old sounds stored for other uses.)

Black/Light

Smash Master
HourglassMemory said:
All I can think of this Dog...that could be put in SSBB.... is his taunt...the famous laughter. But..it's doesn't fit the game. I don't really want to see this dog walking around the stage using only two legs...it's scary and stupid.. And if he went onto the stage and walked on his fours...it's just lame. everyone would be taller than him. A really obvious disadvantage. I can already imagine Capt. Falcon kicking him in the nose without any effort.

I fully agree with this. But not the 4 legged thing. . . I think Wolf Link would be a great character transformation for Link like Z/S.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
Ferro De Lupe said:
Ok, since your Smash B is a bit better than mine, I'll make one slight alteration. Instead of launching the clay pidgeons, he would release a duck in the manner previously described.

Come on...admit it. You want to see it happen. Plus, I just don't picture Dog throwing the pidgeons after some further thought. Really, the only two things Dog had in common with the pidgeons were that they were in his game and they used the gun; nothing else really.

I think he should be 2-D (he just wouldn't look right in 3-D.) And all sounds related ot his game should be included (you know they have a vault or something with all these old sounds stored for other uses.)
Really? 2D? I dunno, I think he'd look kinda cool in 3D. I guess they'd have to do him JUST right, though. I think he'd be a really easy character to mess up and make look kinda creepy or just wrong.

And um, no, this isn't one big joke. Just because you don't like the idea L.D./Hunter/Dog doesn't mean everyone else shares the same opinion.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
MewMewKachooTwo said:
Is this thread some huge joke? It was funny at first, but now it's just getting old.
It is no more a joke topic than the Krystal topic or the Ridley topic or the Diddy topic...

Dog is a Nintendo character that people love and he has just as much of a chance as any other classic/forgotten character. He deserves some representation. I wouldn't even really care if he was bottom tier or not...as long as he makes it.

LtFoeHammer

Smash Apprentice
How could he be bottom tier? That taunt alone would make him the best character ever.

On a serious note, I would prefer him on four legs. Two legged dog seems really wierd.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
I just bought an old NES with this game with it. Goodness, I hate that dog. It wouldn't have been that bad, except I couldn't shoot him.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Yes, shooting the dog is what most people try to do first when they play Duck Hunt.

Seriously though, Laughing Dog would be awesome. Mostly because of his taunt but still...

Off-topic, speaking about taunts, have you ever tried to kill your friend using Luigi's taunt? My friends and I have Luigi taunt fight sometimes and it's fun. It's on sudden death mode of course...

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
I don' think he'd be a good character.I think there are a lot more better chars to be candidates, but he defininatley has to make SOME sort of appearence in Brawl.
Probably a Duck Hunt stage with him and the background. And laughts when you get a kill.
That would be sweet. :D

DokturSea

Smash Lord
LtFoeHammer said:
How could he be bottom tier? That taunt alone would make him the best character ever.

On a serious note, I would prefer him on four legs. Two legged dog seems really wierd.

But dontcha think it'd be kinda hard to fight with a character whose on all fours? I think it'd be much easier for both the designers and the gamers for him to be a biped.

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
No, a quadruped would make room for an innovative moveset. Not saying there should be one, but it would definitely be original. Probably why Sakurai posted that letter about Lupus of JFG. As far as I'm concerned though, Pikachu is close enough to a dog.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
Resting_Fox said:
...Pikachu is close enough to a dog.
I was thinking something along those lines. Have Dog on all four legs while he is moving. Whenever he isn't moving, he would be in a sit pose. Throwing items wouldn't be a problem for him either. If you remember, when you shot a duck, he would pick it up with his paws. I don't know about you, but that just screams "I HAVE THUMBS!"

commonyoshi said:
I just bought an old NES with this game with it. Goodness, I hate that dog. It wouldn't have been that bad, except I couldn't shoot him.
Welcome to the club...want a T-shirt? *Hands you a T-shirt that reads I tried to shoot that bloody dog...and failed.*

DokturSea

Smash Lord
>>

<<

*whistles innocently as he casually kicks the great idea thread back into exsistance*

Hmmm...I guess I'd have to see it done well with four legs to be throuroughly convinced. But as of now, I'm on the "two legs" side. But you're right; it WOULD make room for a creative moveset that WOULD make him more of a challenge to play.

HourglassMemory

Smash Journeyman
I think one way of putting this character into the game would be making the shooting field as a stage. And the Dog would appear sporadically like Birdo.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
I thought the Laughing Dog had a name, anyone know?

Anyway, Laughing Dog would be a fun addition to the SSBB cast and add to the "classic" character list. Along with Mr. GAW, Ice Climbers, and Pit.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
The laughing dog would do better as a cameo appearence, like in a Duck Hunt themed stage where he would pop up behind the grass laughing when somebody gets pwed - and you would be able to smash his off screen (the next best thing to shooting that ****er!)

But as far as a playable character, there are far more deserving characters from Classic franchises that would fit much better. You might as well suggest that a Nintendog be a playable...

DokturSea

Smash Lord
I forgot about this thread. XD Yay.

I agree with everyone who's said he needs to make SOME kind of appearance. Yes, I'd be ESTATIC if he made the playable character cut, but I'd be happy with a duck hunt level, which sounds great. It could just be the grass and tree from Duck Hunt, but with the simple, "three raised platform" design of Battlefield, Fountain of Dream, etc. And of course, LD would pop up and laugh everytime someone dies. Oh! And in the background, there could be Ducks flying around and every once and a while one gets shot and falls to the ground, where LD is seen holding it up.

Of course, I'd like to see a stage like that if LD is a playable as well, just not with him in it. So, the main question is, if you want to see LD in Brawl, do you think he'd look good...

3D on two legs?
2D on two legs?
3D on four legs?
or
2D on four legs?

My vote goes to 3D on two legs. I didn't really like Mr. G&W's flatness, and I think LD would look really cool revamped from his Duck Hunt days. And I don't think a four legged creature would fight well. But that's just me.

FigmentJedi

Smash Rookie
The Dog seems to be a very popular choice. A thread just like this showed up on the Smash Bros. Forum on Nintendo's official site, though with the zapper as his B move. The Dog would just be a fun addition to the game and a great character to pummel when you feel like fighting low leveled Computer opponents (sigh... like I do most of the time on Melee)

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Now that I think about it, there are many more characters I want to be playable over him.

I think there should be a Duck Hunt level like some of the others have said, because it's a game that is well remembered to help the NES become a success. (although part of the fact is because it came with Mario Bros.)

Judge Spear

Smash Cadet
How about a poll to unofficially name the Duck Hunt dog? The choices are:

*Laughing Dog
*Hunter
*Dog

Star_Fox

Smash Cadet
The Duck Hunt dog will make a weird but sweet character. His neutral B could be what DokturSea said. His up B could be him doing something like the Pika's quick attack. His forward B could be him running and biting the opponent. His down B could be a grab.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
What do you mean, dig deeper? Not all of the characters have to be some obscure, somewhat known character. LD is a great representation of the classic Nintendo era.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and all this coming from a Mach Rider supporter. Yeah...

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
DokturSea said:
What do you mean, dig deeper? Not all of the characters have to be some obscure, somewhat known character. LD is a great representation of the classic Nintendo era.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and all this coming from a Mach Rider supporter. Yeah...
Exactly what I mean. I'm tired of half-***** suggestions for Classic Nintendo characters like this. There's a wealth of Nintendo history to draw from, and they get ignored over games that just happened to be better known. In Duck Hunt, the real character was you - the hunter. Atleast Mach Rider was a character you could actually play as...
LD only mocked you... My point being, why support a character that's pretty much universally hated... Except for his small fanbase (all ten of you...)

I'm all for a Duck Hunt stage, but LD should be something in the stage you can kill, like Birdo in SSBM.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
Ganondorf was never pefore playable. Neither was Zelda or Sheik. Neither was Dr. Mario. A character doesn't have to have been playable in their original appearance to make the cut.

Plus, I do believe quite a few people said "I ****ing hate that dog. Hed be a great character."

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
But Ganondorf had the luxary of being Link's arch-nemesis. Sheik wasn't playable, but was a vital ally in the game. LD goes fetch... and laughs... that's about it. There's just a certain logic one needs to utilize when suggesting characters. Familiarity is only the first ingredient.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
Lord_Deathborne said:
But Ganondorf had the luxary of being Link's arch-nemesis. Sheik wasn't playable, but was a vital ally in the game. LD goes fetch... and laughs... that's about it. There's just a certain logic one needs to utilize when suggesting characters. Familiarity is only the first ingredient.
Exactly. He was the trusty hunting partner and only character of one of Nintendo's most popular and well known games. He holds the same, maybe even more importance than Ganondorf or Sheik.

But hey, it's a video game character. We shouldn't be arguing like some losers who don't have lives about it.

LtFoeHammer

Smash Apprentice
The Dog was an important part of video game history, and I feel a great need for him to be represented in some way or another. A Duck Hunt level would be fine, but the dog as a playasble character would be awesome. Would anyone seriously NOT play the game because it had a character they thought was stupid? I think the humor appeal to a large fanbase is more important thena few disgruntled people who are upset because their far-less-important characters were overlooked.

SYC!

Smash Apprentice
He was also in Barker Bills trick gallery or some crap. But I have never played that game, and I have no clue if he does anything special. In any case, the thought of the "lauging dog" in my Smash Bros. makes me want to vomit on this keyboard.

Top Bottom