• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The OFFICIAL Duck Hunt Dog Thread

DokturSea

Smash Lord
I don't think Laughing Dog or Duck Hunt Dog would be a good character because he is from an old NES game that has no appeal to modern gamers
WRONG. Duck Hunt is one of the most important video games of all time and many gamers would LOVE to be sent down memory lane once more. And um, helloooo? Ice Climbers? Game & Watch?

xianfeng said:
he has nothing to draw moves from
Hmmm...I'm getting visions of Fox McCloud and Captain Falcon...

xianfeng said:
he is a quadraped (sp?)
Either they would raise him onto two legs, my preferance, or just add a new style of play to the game, therefore making it even more unique.

xianfeng said:
and he is a DOG
Let's see...we are talking about a game where an italian plumber, a giant gorilla wearing a necktie, a fox, a bird, a giant firebreathing turtle, an elf with a sword, a princess who can turn into a ninja, and a dinosaur fight eachother. But yeah, you're right. He's too weird.

xianfeng said:
I would love to have him as a background character and a trophy, I really like LD and I think I will name one of my dogs that but as a Playable character in Brawl I don't think so.
OMG I'm totally naming my next dog LD. And I think so very much, thank you. :)

xianfeng

Smash Hero
WRONG. Duck Hunt is one of the most important video games of all time and many gamers would LOVE to be sent down memory lane once more. And um, helloooo? Ice Climbers? Game & Watch?
I kinda said modern gamers

Hmmm...I'm getting visions of Fox McCloud and Captain Falcon...
ok you have me there

Either they would raise him onto two legs, my preferance, or just add a new style of play to the game, therefore making it even more unique.
If he was on his hind legs it would be awkward at first and if he was on all fours that further limits his move potential

Let's see...we are talking about a game where an italian plumber, a giant gorilla wearing a necktie, a fox, a bird, a giant firebreathing turtle, an elf with a sword, a princess who can turn into a ninja, and a dinosaur fight eachother. But yeah, you're right. He's too weird.
Thing is the all have a human like shape, Laughing Dog is a Generic plain old Dog

OMG I'm totally naming my next dog LD. And I think so very much, thank you. :)
It's a cool name for a dog.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
I kinda said modern gamers
And I kind of said Ice Climbers and Game & Watch. Hell, G&W is from BEFORE Duck Hunt.

xianfeng said:
If he was on his hind legs it would be awkward at first and if he was on all fours that further limits his move potential
I don't think it'd be awkward at all. I mean, we've got a fox and a falcon already walking around on two legs. And in PANTS. Pants! And I agree with you on the four legs thing. I'm kinda against any quadroped fighters. I just don't see how it could be done. =/

xianfeng said:
Thing is the all have a human like shape, Laughing Dog is a Generic plain old Dog
So? DK's a gorilla. Who punches things. If you look at it that way, Mario's JUST a plumber. And Peach is JUST princess.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
And I kind of said Ice Climbers and Game & Watch. Hell, G&W is from BEFORE Duck Hunt.
And they Don't appeal to MODERN gamers

I don't think it'd be awkward at all. I mean, we've got a fox and a falcon already walking around on two legs. And in PANTS. Pants! And I agree with you on the four legs thing. I'm kinda against any quadroped fighters. I just don't see how it could be done. =/
But they are supposed to look like humans as well LD is supposed to look like a Dog

So? DK's a gorilla. Who punches things. If you look at it that way, Mario's JUST a plumber. And Peach is JUST princess.
Gorilla's are similar to humans and Mario and Peach are special though because they have story and personality.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
You're right, they don't appeal to MODERN gamers, but apparently, they made it in anyway, so this argument is officially MOOT.

xianfeng said:
But they are supposed to look like humans as well LD is supposed to look like a Dog
Please direct me to the place where Sakurai said "all characters must look like humans".

xianfeng said:
Gorilla's are similar to humans and Mario and Peach are special though because they have story and personality.
See my previous answer.

Profanity

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BHC-Prof
Quote:
Originally Posted by xianfeng

You're right, they don't appeal to MODERN gamers, but apparently, they made it in anyway, so this argument is officially MOOT.

Yeah, they do appeal to modern gamers. =\ I play Duck Hunt and IC on Roms and the old nintendo a lot. Very many people do.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
Quote:
Originally Posted by xianfeng

Yeah, they do appeal to modern gamers. =\ I play Duck Hunt and IC on Roms and the old nintendo a lot. Very many people do.
That's not what I meant. I was trying to point out that xianfeng's "modern gamer" argument was about as relevant as a puddle of mud.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
You're right, but I'm not saying "LETS PUT IN ALL RETRO CHARACTERS LOL" There will be 40 characters, dude. And one more retro character added to the currently three character group wouldn't be "focusing on retro gamers".

Eaode

Smash Champion
[post][Flame-rant]

Okay, to start out blunt, Laughing Dog is one of the Stupidest suggestions (besides michael Jackson) that I have ever heard. He is a dog that picks up dead ducks and laughs, that's IT.

Here is a moveset for ya:

Taunt: laugh
Picks up items.

The ducks that get shot would probably be a better character for crying out loud!

And don't get all angry at me, let's analyze the argument that LD lovers cling to:

Well, before they were in smash, Captain Falcon and Fox didn't have moves at all either
The thing these people clearly don't understand is that Fox and Captain Falcon are important characters! They are not going to leave out the main characters of the Starfox and F-Zero franchises because they have no moves! They made up moves out of necesity. Why would anyone be willing to waste their time creating a moveset from scrath for a dog that picks up murdered birds?

And there are probably tons of better, and more deserving retro characters, let alone characters in general, imaaeoewmo*

*Imaaeoewmo= In my and almost every one else who matters' opionions

[/flame-rant][/post]

Zombie Cola

Smash Ace
There is a reason this is a bad idea, it's not because he is old, that is irrelevant. It's not because he wasn't the main character (also irrelevant). It's because there is literally nothing to pull a moveset from, and don't throw this fox and C. Falcon crap at me because Falcon has a HUGE backstory and Fox does too, i can give you several reasons why they got in without having movesets from previous games to draw from, just ask me. The stupid dog has nothing, literally NOTHING to draw from, he isn't set in a fantasy univers, he is a dog, that is used to fetch the ducks that you shoot out of the sky, he has no story, no character development, no emphasis on abilities or prowess of any kind (other than to laugh and pick crap up, OHH BOY, he's a SERVANT). He is one of the worst ideas to have been posted on this forum...ever. Now, if he were to appear in a Duck Hunt level, then I would be veeeeery happy, but as for him being a playable characer, just...no.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
I think he should be in, who doesn't want to blast his brains out with the zapper?

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
I'm pretty much nuetral on this subject. I really don't have anything for or against this dog, as the pros and cons balance each other out, at least in my book.

Pros

He's a pretty popular character, and well recognizable.

Duck Hunt came on the same cartridge as Super Mario Bros., so that should count for something.

There was a Duck Hunt trophy in Melee.

Cons

There's hardly anything to draw a moveset from.

Rigging a quadroped to work in Brawl would probably not work too well, and making him walk on two legs would look awkward.

While the ducks from Duck Hunt got a trophy, the dog didn't. This may mean that Nintendo still likes the game, but not the dog.

It's 3/3. Really, I won't be dissapointed if Laughing Dawg isn't in Brawl, but I won't be dissapointed if he is either. Truth be told, I'd most like to see him as an easter egg. You grab the Nintendog item, and instead of a puppy, the Lauging Dog covers the screen and laughs at you for a few seconds.

GenG

Smash Lord
Truth be told, I'd most like to see him as an easter egg. You grab the Nintendog item, and instead of a puppy, the Lauging Dog covers the screen and laughs at you for a few seconds.
Best item variation ever.

Maverick69

Smash Ace
wow, I can't believe I JUST found this topic.

I gotta say, in the category of "random freakin characters I never would have thought of" you win.

I loved duck hunt as a kid, still love it today, and support laughing dog for brawl.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
LOL The Nintendog item variation was AMAZING. It's officially the best. =)

And they may as well combine the ducks with the dog.

B - Duck Toss: LD lobs a (dead) duck. Chargeable / aimable
Up B - Duck Flight: Two ducks fly above LD. He grabs them and flies upward, and the ducks fly off into the distance
Side B - Duck Drag: LD grabs hold of two ducks (one in each hand / paw), and the ducks fly forward, dragging LD along in a frenzy
Down B - Duck Hunt: A shot is fired, and a duck falls from the sky. LD jumps offscreen to tackle it (temporarily invincible, since he isn't onscreen)

And as for hind leg movement, it's doable. I mean, he was on his hind legs while laughing. I picture him moving kinda like Pete in KH2, and perhaps while dashing he would bust into sprinting on all fours.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
They're not the same person. Mic_128 has said that their IP addresses are different so therefore, they are different people. Unless it's just one kid with a laptop next to his regular computer (which is what I'm kinda suspicous of...)

But back on topic! Aeirs, that's a pretty good moveset which I'll add to the first post, if you don't mind me doing so. But I don't get the Down B. Does he tackle the opponent?

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
They're not the same person. Mic_128 has said that their IP addresses are different so therefore, they are different people. Unless it's just one kid with a laptop next to his regular computer (which is what I'm kinda suspicous of...)

But back on topic! Aeirs, that's a pretty good moveset which I'll add to the first post, if you don't mind me doing so. But I don't get the Down B. Does he tackle the opponent?
Agreed - they're like Team Troll or something. :lick:

Glad you like the moveset! And I probably didn't explain it completely, looking back - I'll elaborate. You tackle the duck that fell from the sky into the grass that sprouts up, then you're free to move around in the BG for about a second, then you pop back out of more grass that sprouts up wherever you are after that second or so. So kind of invisible and invincible by default. But as opposed to your quick dive into the grass, coming out is simply a crawl, and you cannot reappear in the air - if you are jumping, you will reappear from new grass on the nearest landmass. :)

xianfeng

Smash Hero
I have one too

B - Duck Throw - LD looks around and pulls out a Duck and throws it, sorta like Yoshi's B ^
B > - Clay Disk - LD grabs 3 clay disks and hurls them foward one after the other they do a lot of damage so there is a bit of lag and they arn't controllable
B ^ - 3 ducks fly on the screen so LD grabs onto their legs and is dragged upwards the ducks in a panic flap their wings around everywhere doing about 5% damage to whoever gets in their way after a bit the ducks break free
B v - Chomp - Duck hunt Dog does huge chomps on either side of him when in the air he lunges downwards with his mouth open then he shuts it.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I'll just elaborate completely on my moveset.

B - Duck Toss: LD lobs a (dead) duck. Similar in style to Yoshi's Up B, you can charge and aim the toss for more distance and direction. Random variation would be a Clay Disc that lacks an arc, but instead works as a straight line projectile (but it can still be aimed and charged).
Up B - Duck Flight: Two ducks fly above LD. He grabs them and flies upward, and the ducks fly off into the distance (like when you fire and miss). The ducks flap and quack and do damage to anyone that touches them. Pressing A releases a duck, sacrificing some air, but allowing you to do a forward slash; both ducks can be released early in this fashion.
Side B - Duck Drag: LD grabs hold of two ducks (one in each hand / paw), and the ducks fly forward, dragging LD along in a frenzy until they fly away. All damage is done by the ducks flapping and struggling to break free. This leaves LD's backside a tad unprotected, but pressing A will let you release the ducks early and do a donkey kick, while pressing B gets the ducks to tug forward (maximum of 2 boosts).
Down B - Duck Hunt: A shot is fired, and a duck falls from the sky. LD tackles the duck that fell into the grass that sprouts up, then you're free to move around in the BG for about a second, then you pop back out of more grass that sprouts up wherever you are after that second or so. So kind of invisible and invincible by default. But as opposed to your quick dive into the grass, coming out is simply a crawl, and you cannot reappear in the air - if you are jumping, you will reappear from new grass on the nearest landmass.

Taunt: :chuckle:
There, more specific. :) Duck Flight would make for some nice air combos from below. Fly up, then double duck drop for double damage.

Scuba Man Sam

Smash Cadet
I think he would be a weird but fun character. He laughs alot. is he on drugs?:chuckle:

Quote of doom: Dog with meat! Dog with meat!!!

DokturSea

Smash Lord
*sha-bumped*

So I was browsing ytmnd today and I found...

http://ssbbnecomerdog.ytmnd.com/

Awesome, I know. And maybe that could be LD's victory music? It's kinda long, so how about a fast, rock-based version? Which would kick ***. Ooh! Maybe one of LD's victory poses is he walks on all fours, sniffing the ground, and once the music stops, he barks and jumps, like he does at the start of Duck Hunt.

I dunno, maybe I'm just crazy.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
There's no such thing as a character who wouldn't "fit into Brawl". That argument is ******** and pointless. There are no guidelines about "fitting into Brawl".

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
ah ha so are so funny. don't make me rip off all your limbs, nail you to a chair, let you bleed to death and steal your organs.:) Mr. G & W um... rox.
don't make me report you for threatining :)

Anyway, he's using Mr Game and Watch as to show how anyone can fit into Brawl, but yeah, he roxorz much soxorz and pwns all dem n00bs

Thjat argument is so stupid, and so is "he's topo realistic / doesn't fit" crap. Will it ever stop:confused:

Top Bottom