• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Claus (The Masked Man) for SSBB thread, Mother 3 Spoilers

Mogrika

Smash Apprentice
I think he should have some involvement on SE as a villain, but be playable after you defeat him.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I personally don't think Claus should be a boss; in fact, I think MOTHER 3 deserves more recognition than what I've seen. I'm going to make plenty of assumptions in my next few paragraphs, but this is how I feel.

MOTHER 3 is absolutely huge over in the Land of the Rising Sun. People are saying that a few hundred thousand units is small compared to the millions (and millions!) of units that other Nintendo games have sold. But, I ask everybody this: Is Japan that big of a place? **** no. Last time I checked, Japan's population isn't as large as, say, the United States. It's a relatively small country. So, you compare MOTHER 3 units to the population and I'd say that's a pretty impressive number. People like the game.

The Japanese love to pick on American culture sometimes. One of the many reasons MOTHER 2 was so well-loved was because of that fact. They pretty much took the American Dream, shattered it kaleidoscope-style, and made a parody of it. I mean, look at the Beatles references (although I would've NEVER caught them in a million years without the assistance of Starmen.net)---they're everywhere! Plus, the obvious "Eagleland?" MOTHER 3 also did this, but in a different fashion---I personally fall under the camp that Porky and the Pig Army mirror some of the more left-and-right wing ideals that some of the extremists in the West embody. Considering the time frame of the game (wasn't it around 2005? Please correct me if I'm wrong), a message like that couldn't have been clearer (Iraq and all that other jazz). Even when you look at it from the other end of the pond, well, it's brilliant (at least, I think it is). I have a fond appreciation for well-written satire.

Plus, it's something Sakurai dabbled in once upon a time and helped create. He's also shown a measure of favoritism towards his own franchise, the Kirby series, so why couldn't he express the same sort of attention towards MOTHER 3? This is clearly Masahiro Sakurai's game and no one else's. Nintendo isn't breathing down his neck and demanding this character or that character (a big reason as to why Lucas didn't overtake Ness in Melee, despite Sakurai's preference towards Lucas) anymore.

If anybody wants to add on to my rant, feel free.

Smooth Criminal

Machspeed

Smash Lord
Well the way I see it, Mother has been a very popular series since Smash 64 days, and has been neglected characters.

Ness has been just about it for the series, since Smash 64, and now he's being replaced by Lucas. This series definently needs more characters playable in it, and Claus fits the bill head on. We're in need of villains, and of at least ONE more Mother rep. (Though more would be nice.) The same thing was going for Donkey Kong's franchise (though Diddy's finally been added.)

Regiwi

Smash Journeyman
Actually, although it's almost impossible, if Ness did appear, imagine him meeting Porky, it would be pretty whack.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
I personally don't think Claus should be a boss; in fact, I think MOTHER 3 deserves more recognition than what I've seen. I'm going to make plenty of assumptions in my next few paragraphs, but this is how I feel.

MOTHER 3 is absolutely huge over in the Land of the Rising Sun. People are saying that a few hundred thousand units is small compared to the millions (and millions!) of units that other Nintendo games have sold. But, I ask everybody this: Is Japan that big of a place? **** no. Last time I checked, Japan's population isn't as large as, say, the United States. It's a relatively small country. So, you compare MOTHER 3 units to the population and I'd say that's a pretty impressive number. People like the game.

The Japanese love to pick on American culture sometimes. One of the many reasons MOTHER 2 was so well-loved was because of that fact. They pretty much took the American Dream, shattered it kaleidoscope-style, and made a parody of it. I mean, look at the Beatles references (although I would've NEVER caught them in a million years without the assistance of Starmen.net)---they're everywhere! Plus, the obvious "Eagleland?" MOTHER 3 also did this, but in a different fashion---I personally fall under the camp that Porky and the Pig Army mirror some of the more left-and-right wing ideals that some of the extremists in the West embody. Considering the time frame of the game (wasn't it around 2005? Please correct me if I'm wrong), a message like that couldn't have been clearer (Iraq and all that other jazz). Even when you look at it from the other end of the pond, well, it's brilliant (at least, I think it is). I have a fond appreciation for well-written satire.

Plus, it's something Sakurai dabbled in once upon a time and helped create. He's also shown a measure of favoritism towards his own franchise, the Kirby series, so why couldn't he express the same sort of attention towards MOTHER 3? This is clearly Masahiro Sakurai's game and no one else's. Nintendo isn't breathing down his neck and demanding this character or that character (a big reason as to why Lucas didn't overtake Ness in Melee, despite Sakurai's preference towards Lucas) anymore.

If anybody wants to add on to my rant, feel free.

Smooth Criminal
That's an interesting way to look at the series.

Mother isn't really THAT well known, but as Sakurai said "Including only popular characters does not excite me!"

Ouendanation

Smash Ace
The fact of the matter is, though, he could've just stated his opinion and moved along. As you can tell through some of his comments with Vesper, he just kept saying that Claus was going to be a boss for the SSE simply to draw his ire. Now, if he wanted to come in here and argue WHY Claus shouldn't be in Brawl as a PC that's an entirely different matter. However, just floundering about with an opinion is totally counterproductive to his presence in a OFFICIAL SUPPORT THREAD.

Claus for Brawl.

Smooth Criminal
Why do you put Smooth Criminal at the end of each of your posts? We can all see your name >_>

Ouendanation

Regiwi

Smash Journeyman
Why do you put Smooth Criminal at the end of each of your posts? We can all see your name >_>

Ouendanation
And we can all see your post has no relevance to the thread, anyway, what sort of entrance do you think Claus should have? I can see one quite easily where he decends onto the stage and his wings detract when he lands.

Ouendanation

Smash Ace
And we can all see your post has no relevance to the thread, anyway, what sort of entrance do you think Claus should have? I can see one quite easily where he decends onto the stage and his wings detract when he lands.
I'd imagine a Pigmask (official spelling now :)) flies down and he steps out. Or a Pork Bean.

T-major

Smash Champion
I think riding onto the stage in a Pork and Bean's would be cool. it's fitting of him and the Pigmask Army, and is just plain awesome. another one would be lightning striking the stage, and Claus standing there after the explosion goes away.

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
I know this is boring but I think Claus' entrance would be him just flying in...

DynamiteSpoony

Smash Journeyman
A large, dark stormy castle with lots of bats.
Something's telling me that Sakurai plans to put a LOT of Mother 3 into this game...I mean, really, compare how enthusiastic he was about the Pokey music to, say, the stage update we had today. I'd say that in this point of time, Claus is all but given, seeing as he's the next likely Mother rep. Two entries in Sakurai's journal doesn't hurt, either.

And his entrance should be him just flying in on his fancy jetpack-wings. That would be awesome enough for me.

And I'm thinking that if he makes it, his FS will be PK LOVE. Why else would they have kept it off Lucas?

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Oh hey ves, Since i'm kinda bored i might be able to later write something small for an entry on here about sakurai's interest with M3: Wow...M3 Has been the ONLY One he's been representing so far while other series he's managed to go into (Like Mario with Mario Kart and LOZ We will probably get PH:Link etc etc..) And i'm thinking in the SSE That Lucas will team up with someone and find Pokey and Claus will be with the other ringleaders of the plot; Just an idea.

Regiwi

Smash Journeyman
Here's an idea, it would kinda undermine the whole of Mother 3 but what if in the SSE Claus fights along side Porky, but he could perhaps be saved by Lucas, and then he becomes playable? The idea really sucks but it's the most I could think of now lol.

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
I think Lucas should fight Claus in SSE, 1v1...then when you win...basically what happens after that battle from Mother 3 is redone in 3D...as to how he is revived I dunno...but he is and then he joins...

DynamiteSpoony

Smash Journeyman
A large, dark stormy castle with lots of bats.
I think Lucas should fight Claus in SSE, 1v1...then when you win...basically what happens after that battle from Mother 3 is redone in 3D...as to how he is revived I dunno...but he is and then he joins...
Or he could just, you know...
just be shaken out of his Masked Man phase without killing himself. And the whole Hinawa speech could be left out. I think that would make SE too sad.
And he could just keep his weaponry and move on.

Other than that, this is an awesome idea. :D

CyberBenX4

Smash Apprentice
Or he could just, you know...
just be shaken out of his Masked Man phase without killing himself. And the whole Hinawa speech could be left out. I think that would make SE too sad.
And he could just keep his weaponry and move on.

Other than that, this is an awesome idea. :D
Well, if the whole "characters will have to endure the weights of their histories" has some merit, maybe there could stand to be a sort of twist involved.

In other words (assuming that Lucas and Klaus are taken as "snapshots" of what would be considered "post Mother 3"), I couldn't see Klaus on the side of "evil" again, unless he was brain-washed, or otherwise corrupted to doing evil acts. I would see him more along the lines of a guy who would probably be more interested in trying to do the right thing to redeem himself, even if that, too, was some what misguided.

For instance, what if Klaus had a run-in with MetaKnight? MetaKnight certainly isn't a bad guy, but MK also has the tendency to try and do the right thing, in not necessarily the most "kosher" manner. If Klaus decided to throw his lot in with MK (at least, until he could find his brother), then I would assume that Klaus' some time naivete may work against him, in light of a more strong-willed figure like MK filling his head with chivalry and ultra-militaristic ideals. Then, of course, that might lead to Lucas and Klaus fighting each other any way, but for entirely different reasons. :chuckle: Bonus points, if it would be two-on-two match with Kirby and Lucas vs. MK and Klaus!

CyberBenX4

Smash Apprentice
I would like Claus's corruption to be thorough and absolute. That's what made him so awesome to begin with.
The only thing that I would fault with that argument, is that "it's been done". We already had Klaus being a puppet for M3, which, while it made him bad-***, would be a bit redundant if that was all that he could stand to be for SSE mode.

I mean, to me, what I think is the best thing about SSE mode, is that it stands to be a large scale cross-over storyline, where characters may or may not have to stay within the same roles/capacities that they are known for in their respective series, even while they still have their back-stories about them. So, to see Klaus fall right back into his role of Masked Man, verbatim to how he appeared in M3, would be a bit of a let-down, at least in my opinion.

Also, I would hope that there would be an alternate costume where Klaus can ditch the "Masked Man" helmet, and fight with his face exposed. Y'know, just for the nice touch that an alternate costume could bring.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
I think the way it will go down is that Porky will be siding with the evil team and Claus will be his henchmen. The story of Mother 3 will probably have the same events in smash but involving other mascots.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Claus: Lucas, I am your brother.

Lucas: ....

Flint: Dammit, boy! Can't you say something for once?!
:laugh::laugh::laugh:.

I think the way it will go down is that Porky will be siding with the evil team and Claus will be his henchmen. The story of Mother 3 will probably have the same events in smash but involving other mascots.
My idea was Lucas and Kirby teaming up taking a warpstar to the neoplam place shown today or w/e And afterwards they team up against porky but he lands a bomb and they have to defeat him in two minutes then Claus and MK Come and after you save Claus and MK You unlock Claus :D.

...I'm guessing that considering how he made the kirby series and how he tends to like lucas and he helped work on M3...At least a part were he teams up with kirby for all the Kirby/Mother fans :D.

Chepe

Smash Lord
You know, I believe that ALL playable characters will converge to fight the Subspace Army at the end of SSE. So if Claus was playable, I would expect him to be bad at first, fighting against certain characters (probably not even Lucas), but then he would be forced to join the cast to fight this greater evil.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
You know, I believe that ALL playable characters will converge to fight the Subspace Army at the end of SSE. So if Claus was playable, I would expect him to be bad at first, fighting against certain characters (probably not even Lucas), but then he would be forced to join the cast to fight this greater evil.
Considering how this isn't "Just another fighting game"
...However we aren't sure.

Do you think the franklin badge would one hit kill Claus due to its effect. :cool:
*Reminder to put question marks and take off the cool sign*
Hmm Maybe but not sure, Depends on what happens in the SSE.

I can see Claus being a main hero in the SSE... next to lucas of course. I WANT MORE MOTHER REPRESENTATION!!!!!!!
MOAR MOTHER REPRESENTATION 4 BROLLZORZ!!!!!!!!!!

I would like Claus's corruption to be thorough and absolute. That's what made him so awesome to begin with.

Smooth Criminal
He will be awsome.

Thirdkoopa (Irony rules.)

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
only if his thunder attack is reflected back at him; and seeing as that most likely will be his Final Smash, it's not hard to imagine that it would have an effect like that...
Yeah it would be funny if like.. During Claus' Final smash he uses his thunder attack and its a one hit kill to everyone on stage but if you grab the badge he gets 1-hit K0'd

vesperview said:
The Franklin Badge is amazing, I love it's design taken from Mother 3, very faithful to the game.
I have to agree the design is very nice, and stand out for brawl, makes me wonder if items may be used for the subspace to complete certain task.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
The Franklin Badge is amazing, I love it's design taken from Mother 3, very faithful to the game.
It seems like they took EVERYTHING From it.
I Mean Claus out of the 7 Who had 4+ Journal entries, Lucas who had the interview, The mention in sakurai's journal to the person who wanted many M3 Things about " I Plan on putting a lot of Mother 3 Things in brawl" Then you have the music/item/AT To follow behind seems likely/Boss(Porky.)/Stage/Character (Lucas.) At this point it seems highly probable that we get one more.

Oh i hope we get the second stage soon and it's that elevator one or w/e you were saying Ves that would be good, Then we are likely to get claus...Through he's likely anyways :D.

Top Bottom