• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The official Captain falcon's real combo's thread

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Up throw> fair isn't a combo at all. I don't see it working very often on anyone, really, especially at higher percentages, where the up throw will put them very high up with ample time to move laterally. It can be airdodged even at lower percents, where it seems to me it would be most effective. While the first post of this thread doesn't necessarily list every combo possible with Falcon, because there is always a chance more will be discovered, the combos there are a good benchmark. Falcon doesn't have any combos (yet at least) from throws, besides a very short (2-3) fthrow chaingrab on Fox and Bowser, it has a thread somewhere.

One good way to see if there's a chance that your combo is inescapable is by trying it in training mode, and see if your attacks count as consecutive hits. That does not necessarily mean that the move sequence is a combo, but it gives a good point of reference. If something is a true combo, it should be impervious to airdodging, shielding, teching, and DI unless otherwise stated, for example, Falcon has a forward tilt lock, but it only works if someone falls to the ground without teching.

Sorry for rambling, welcome to the Falcon boards =)

Midnitekoala

Smash Cadet
thanks. i'm still learning how to use this site so i'm kind of a noob when it comes to what qualifies as a combo or what out of shield options are and such. but i'm glad they're people willing to help.after that last post i realized that i don't have the chance to play brawl often so not all the combos would be the same on melee which i play more often so if anymore of my posts don't add up either i'm an idiot or brawl changed it.

PartyHatPikaChu

Smash Apprentice
thanks. i'm still learning how to use this site so i'm kind of a noob when it comes to what qualifies as a combo or what out of shield options are and such. but i'm glad they're people willing to help.after that last post i realized that i don't have the chance to play brawl often so not all the combos would be the same on melee which i play more often so if anymore of my posts don't add up either i'm an idiot or brawl changed it.
Then check something before you post it.
Like we all have to do.

PartyHatPikaChu

Smash Apprentice
Didn't I already say you don't have to be a jerk about things? No one listens to people they don't like.
Didnt I already say I dont care about your opinion?
We're not here to make friends, we are here to talk about falcon('s metagame).

And lol, according to your logic, why should I listen to you:laugh:

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
A ton of the Melee combos don't work in Brawl, the physics are pretty different. You can still upsmash and upB out of shield though, and it's easier in Brawl. A combo is a string of attacks that an opponent cannot escape (or only under certain conditions, such as damage percentage or teching). And Brawl doesn't change anything lol, but an opponent's DI can vary, which is why combos have to work regardless of DI in order to be true combos.

Didn't I already say you don't have to be a jerk about things? No one listens to people they don't like.

Everyone should listen to everyone else because it is nice :) and fighting doesn't help Falcon's metagame or the boards. The new guy was wrong with his combo idea, but isn't that what the combo thread is for? If no one ever proposed a combo, then there wouldn't be any discovered. So he assumed that a Melee combo(?) was still one in Brawl. He was trying to help.

Spoonbob

Smash Ace

There's a big difference between being a "professional" and only talking about the metagame, and being a douche for no reason. You're doing the latter. I hope douche isn't censored.

...? Was that a sly way of telling me you don't like me? lol. I'm just saying, being needlessly rude to everybody just makes your opinion moot in general. Which you should care about, if you're trying to be "professional" and just talk about the metagame.

PartyHatPikaChu

Smash Apprentice
There's a big difference between being a "professional" and only talking about the metagame, and being a douche for no reason. You're doing the latter. I hope douche isn't censored.

...? Was that a sly way of telling me you don't like me? lol. I'm just saying, being needlessly rude to everybody just makes your opinion moot in general. Which you should care about, if you're trying to be "professional" and just talk about the metagame.
I told him what he needs to do/change about what he does. That that is something 'offensive' is not my problem nor my fault.

Also, you seem to be doing what you accuse me of doing.
So dont be a hypocrit.

And it wasnt a 'sly' way pf telling I dont like you. Its using your own logic against you.
And, again, I'm not here to make friends, I am here to discuss falcons metagame and/or make the discussion of falcons metagame possible by filtering out people who say they are going to post melee combo's here (in this situation.).

So stop argueing with me, as this arguement is over, and look at yourself first, and try to change your status of 'douche' into 'proffesional' before you go around trying to accuse and 'change' other posters here.
/discussion.

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
I told him what he needs to do/change about what he does. That that is something 'offensive' is not my problem nor my fault.

Also, you seem to be doing what you accuse me of doing.
So dont be a hypocrit.

And it wasnt a 'sly' way pf telling I dont like you. Its using your own logic against you.
And, again, I'm not here to make friends, I am here to discuss falcons metagame and/or make the discussion of falcons metagame possible by filtering out people who say they are going to post melee combo's here (in this situation.).

So stop argueing with me, as this arguement is over, and look at yourself first, and try to change your status of 'douche' into 'proffesional' before you go around trying to accuse and 'change' other posters here.
/discussion.
Why are you always trolling?

PartyHatPikaChu

Smash Apprentice
Why are you always trolling?
I'm not.
Read the conversation between me and the other dude. It started after I told someguy not to post melee combo's in the brawl board..And that other dude wants to kiss the behind of everyone that comes in here. It doesnt work like that. You guys should look at the marth board, and how they function. You can learn alot from them.

So, Do you guys want to keep telling that guy that what he posts does NOT work in brawl?

thought so.

Shun the uninformed..shun..shun..

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
I'm not.
Read the conversation between me and the other dude. It started after I told someguy not to post melee combo's in the brawl board..And that other dude wants to kiss the behind of everyone that comes in here. It doesnt work like that. You guys should look at the marth board, and how they function. You can learn alot from them.

So, Do you guys want to keep telling that guy that what he posts does NOT work in brawl?

thought so.

Shun the uninformed..shun..shun..
You don't have to put it the way you do. It'll just cause argument.

PartyHatPikaChu

Smash Apprentice
You don't have to put it the way you do. It'll just cause argument.

How people take my post and react to it is not my problem. (nor my fault, in a way. their insecurity or w/e is non of my concern.).

And why dont you respond to the essence of my post, but to the wording..

Mit

Smash Ace
I think more notes should be included on the jab grab combos. Jab > grab seemingly always works, but I've been broken out of jab > jab > grab more than a few times, and I think it has to do with spacing. If you're opponent isn't close enough to you, some characters seem to have enough time to get fast moves out. Simple neutral-a moves on certain characters seem to be able to stop Falcon from following up with anything (even the third hit of the jab combo), as they can come out fast enough and hit him. It has also happened with opponents who are slightly raised into the air, and have fast nair sex kicks.

This usually only happens when I'm actually getting broken out of the combo by being hit. They never seem to have time to shield or spotdodge/airdodge.

Perhaps I'll look into it sometime and do some testing even.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
I think more notes should be included on the jab grab combos. Jab > grab seemingly always works, but I've been broken out of jab > jab > grab more than a few times, and I think it has to do with spacing. If you're opponent isn't close enough to you, some characters seem to have enough time to get fast moves out. Simple neutral-a moves on certain characters seem to be able to stop Falcon from following up with anything (even the third hit of the jab combo), as they can come out fast enough and hit him. It has also happened with opponents who are slightly raised into the air, and have fast nair sex kicks.

This usually only happens when I'm actually getting broken out of the combo by being hit. They never seem to have time to shield or spotdodge/airdodge.

Perhaps I'll look into it sometime and do some testing even.
The third jab was never a true combo, I don't think. But about being hit out of jab>grab, it happens to me too sometimes, but I assumed it was my timing. It would be great if you could test, maybe starting with ZSS or Squirtle because of their one frame jabs would help? And yeah, shields/dodges shouldn't work at all because can't escape the multijab (which isn't a true combo), right?

Iwan

Smash Ace
Interesting that some of you are saying you've been interupted during jab>>jab>>grab; if the first jab hits, I've never once had an unsuccessful jabjabgrab attempt. The only situations i can recall jab>>jab>>grab being punished (for me, at least) is if my opponent power shields my first or second jab.

Other than that, can't recall it not working.

Even still, the risk/reward for jab>>jab>>grab is almost always in falcon's favor because it has an extremely high success rate.

Player-3

Smash Hero
ive hit people at the very tip of falcons jab, then they SDIed just far enough so my grab couldnt get them

i didnt get punished, i just didnt grab them

Iwan

Smash Ace
ive hit people at the very tip of falcons jab, then they SDIed just far enough so my grab couldnt get them

i didnt get punished, i just didnt grab them
Personally? I don't really use the "tip" of falcon's jab, per se. I use falcon's jab and jab>>grab/jab>>jab>>grab in general as a "gtfo my face" move.

If I'm far enough away where the tip of the jab is going to hit (literally the tip), chances are I'll probably just use a tilt or "reset"; back off and take a second look at things and zones before jumping into the ****.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
I think jab actually can legitimately combo to DSmash (and probably a bunch more) just like NAir can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9ZsHMGbVSE&fmt=18
(see first kill)

It knocks him slightly off the ground and then he gets landing lag; I'm assuming he can't do anything.

It's probably at a certain percent where the jab knocks him off the ground (ie SLIGHTLY more knockback at higher percents), and probably varies by character (since the Samus and those other characters it works on for NAir have that problem all the time).

If anyone would find these percents and/or verify that the opponent indeed can't escape the landing lag such as shown in the vid, that would be cool.

PartyHatPikaChu

Smash Apprentice
I think jab actually can legitimately combo to DSmash (and probably a bunch more) just like NAir can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9ZsHMGbVSE&fmt=18
(see first kill)

It knocks him slightly off the ground and then he gets landing lag; I'm assuming he can't do anything.

It's probably at a certain percent where the jab knocks him off the ground (ie SLIGHTLY more knockback at higher percents), and probably varies by character (since the Samus and those other characters it works on for NAir have that problem all the time).

If anyone would find these percents and/or verify that the opponent indeed can't escape the landing lag such as shown in the vid, that would be cool.
jab>Dsmash is escapable when one DI's down(+away) and then buffers a shield.

Top Bottom