• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The official "Ask Your Questions" thread

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
I know i should've done this a long time ago, and yes, i am just copying other people's idea, but i think that I'm one of the most knowledgeable people when it comes to DK. I'll answer any questions the best i can and if you have any ideas, i'll tell you how good or stupid they are and if they'll work. =)

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
What should I do from a grab vs. Marth? Cargo-up to u-air tends not to connect for me.

Edit -- And any tips on how to play the Marth match-up in general?

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
What should I do from a grab vs. Marth? Cargo-up to u-air tends not to connect for me.

Edit -- And any tips on how to play the Marth match-up in general?
Against Marth, i would generally u throw, do a FULL jump u air, and then use your second jump to jump towards him and quickly do your up b. If you do it quickly enough, you'll connect. You can't do a whole lot to marth from a grab, but if you do it right, you can actually rack up damage with your up b if you hit him with multiple hits. DK's up b has the potential to do 33 damage. Its not that difficult to do against marth, but you're probably not going to get all 33. Another option is to just full jump and giant punch him if you have it charged..

Getting underneath marth is something you wanna always try to do. Below him, he can either d air, do a forward b to slow his fall, or f air. Its unlikely that he'll d air because if he misses, then you have a free attack on him. If you stay somewhat closer to his back than in the exact center underneath him, you won't get hit by the f air, and you can do a sh u air underneath him. If he does his forward b to slow himself, then you can up b as you land which should hit him if your timing and spacing is right.

Against marth in general, you'll wanna dash dance a lot and don't let him draw you in with a dash dance because DK doesn't really have anything to beat marths. Just dash dance yourself. Don't approach with anything but the b air or the giant punch. Let marth try to attack you and try to just stay out of range and counterattack with a b air, but you have to be extremely quick, otherwise marth will just wave his stick around more and you'll land yourself in a combo.

Charge your giant punch constantly. It's a key move against marth because it'll go through anything marth has. Trust me on this one, in the beginning, the marth will generally be overconfident and just be waving his stick all around, BUT the first time you hit him with a giant punch, he'll be much more cautious. You don't want marth to be on top of you because b air and giant punch are the only real moves that can mess with marth and if he stays on top of you, you can't get away to get off a b air and you can't charge a giant punch. So hitting marth with a fully charged giant punch early is very important.

Another thing you can do to kinda get marth off of you is whenever you do a b air, you gotta fast fall it and l cancel and do a forward tilt. The marth will probably be dashdancing and trying to grab you or attack you right when you land, the f tilt should smack him away if he tries to grab, and beat his aerial moves and if he tries to f smash, your f tilt will cancel it out.

Ok....if you have any more questions, just ask them. I wrote enough to at least get you started. I could write a whole book on this matchup because i have a lot of experience in this matchup (even beat Mew2king's and Taj's marth). =). If you have any situational questions, i'll let you know what the best option is. Keep the questions coming.

hoopspr226

Smash Journeyman
Random question: Do you play in American tournaments or Mexican ones?

Serious question: I am not a DK main, but I've always enjoyed playing around with him as a fun character. However, I never quite understood how to sweetspot his up-b? It seems very useful but I only do it more or less by accident.

Also, what are DK's main strats/good moves/combos against non-fastfallers. I only really know how to play against Fox, Falco, and Falcon, when I abuse cargo throw to uair combos and chain throws.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Is it possible to dair into shield to upB without getting shieldgrabbed (ie the upB pwns the grab attempt).

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Random question: Do you play in American tournaments or Mexican ones?

Serious question: I am not a DK main, but I've always enjoyed playing around with him as a fun character. However, I never quite understood how to sweetspot his up-b? It seems very useful but I only do it more or less by accident.

Also, what are DK's main strats/good moves/combos against non-fastfallers. I only really know how to play against Fox, Falco, and Falcon, when I abuse cargo throw to uair combos and chain throws.
Ok, for the first question, Mexican is just a nickname for me, i'm American and i haven't even been to Mexico.. lol

DK's up b's sweetspot hits right where his elbo pops up when you first do the up b. You can hit people from the ground when they're standing behind you if they're taller. People like fox/pikachu etc are too short. Falco is just tall enough to get hit by it. It also works well against Marth, Peach, Samus, Ganon, etc.

Against non-fastfallers, spamming b airs is a must. Charging your giant punch is also a very usefull strategy against defensive players. It'll make your opponent rush in, and depending on what character you're playing, you can respond accordingly. I can't really give you a general strat because you gotta play different characters differently. If you give me a character, i'll give you a strat. Best i can tell you otherwise is charge your giant punch and spam b airs and grabs whenever you can..

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
^^good ****. :)
Do you have any specific examples of combos on characters that are to floaty for uthrow uair? Im having real trouble comboing characters like peach and marth

El HP

Smash Ace
Any tips when fighting a camping falco? I always get beaten badly on FD but I do much better on other stages.

On a side note it would have been great to watch those matches against Mew2King and Taj.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
^^good ****. :)
Do you have any specific examples of combos on characters that are to floaty for uthrow uair? Im having real trouble comboing characters like peach and marth
You can u throw u air peach and marth, you just have to full jump. And when you do, use your second jump to jump towards them and do your up b. If you do it right, you can easily knock marth/peach up to 40 damage from your one grab. After they're at higher damages though, you pretty much just have the u throw to u air. If you can, against peach/marth, try to get a stage with a low ceiling. One of my favorite stages is pokemon stadium because it has a low ceiling and most characters don't really kill off the top. DK is really good at ko-ing from the side and the top. Most characters only KO from the side.

*edit* Something else i almost forgot to mention, if you're at a stage like battlefield or dreamland, if you grab peach/marth in the middle of the stage, you can do a full jump, u throw, u air (at this point landing on the top platform) and then get off another 2 or 3 u airs. You can combo them that way if you need to on those types of stages.

Any tips when fighting a camping falco? I always get beaten badly on FD but I do much better on other stages.

On a side note it would have been great to watch those matches against Mew2King and Taj.
lol, there really isn't a whole lot you can do against a camping falco on final d...pkmvodka lost to falcomist on final d because all falcomist did was spam. DK isn't that good at getting around the lasers, and here's why. DK can't charge the giant punch with lasers going on obviously. The only move that beats any of falcos for the most part is dk's b air, but every time you get hit by a laser, you get turned around to facing him again. You can turn around with your giant punch in mid air, but you'd have to do a full jump to do so and you leave yourself wide open to attack if you do that. And unless the falco has absolutely horrid tech skill, you'll never get a shield grab off on him. The lasers also take away your dash dancing game which i would usually use to get grabs. Only real advice i can give is try to get close and when he starts his pillaring, try to get in some kind of attack to throw off his rythm and try to close in as quickly as possible and get that grab and make sure he dies. Doing a sh u air when you think that falco is going to jump out of your shield works sometimes. If you manage to get one of those off, you can just turn around for the grab. If you're at a stage other than final d, do the b throw into a gimp kill like i described in an earlier post. It works extremely well against falco..

otg

Smash Master
How do you feel DK fares vs. the top 5? I know DK's can chaingrab Fox and Falco pretty hard (quite impressive 0-death if you ask), but what are his matchups like vs. Marth/Peach/Sheik etc etc? Im unfamiliar.

El HP

Smash Ace
lol, there really isn't a whole lot you can do against a camping falco on final d...pkmvodka lost to falcomist on final d because all falcomist did was spam. DK isn't that good at getting around the lasers, and here's why. DK can't charge the giant punch with lasers going on obviously. The only move that beats any of falcos for the most part is dk's b air, but every time you get hit by a laser, you get turned around to facing him again. You can turn around with your giant punch in mid air, but you'd have to do a full jump to do so and you leave yourself wide open to attack if you do that. And unless the falco has absolutely horrid tech skill, you'll never get a shield grab off on him. The lasers also take away your dash dancing game which i would usually use to get grabs. Only real advice i can give is try to get close and when he starts his pillaring, try to get in some kind of attack to throw off his rythm and try to close in as quickly as possible and get that grab and make sure he dies. Doing a sh u air when you think that falco is going to jump out of your shield works sometimes. If you manage to get one of those off, you can just turn around for the grab. If you're at a stage other than final d, do the b throw into a gimp kill like i described in an earlier post. It works extremely well against falco..
Thanks for the advice, if DK had a better n-air or f-air it would be much easier to deal with falco.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
How do you feel DK fares vs. the top 5? I know DK's can chaingrab Fox and Falco pretty hard (quite impressive 0-death if you ask), but what are his matchups like vs. Marth/Peach/Sheik etc etc? Im unfamiliar.
Ok, Fox is a very hard fight for DK. Yeah you can combo the **** out of him if you ever catch him, but that's if you ever catch him. Fox is one of the hardest characters to grab and the fox player (if he's any good) will be expecting you to grab and will do everything he can to make sure that you never get that grab. Its a really tough fight. DK's 3rd or 4rth worst fight imo.

Falco is by far DK's worst fight. Falco is even more difficult to grab since you can't even b air to grab like you can against fox. Just landing a b air on a falco is difficult because his lasers always turn you around to face him. I lose to most of the really good falcos i play that are smart enough not to get grabbed

Sheik is DK's second worst fight imo. She can get in and out of DK's moves extremely well and DK can't really combo her. If the sheik just grabs a lot, she ***** dk, if she's not smart enough to grab all the time, then you have a fighting chance. I've 2 stocked Norcals best sheik because he didn't grab a lot, but then almost lost to a scrub sheik from socal because all he did was grab. She's just too fast for DK

DK vs Marth is almost even. Marth obviously does have an advantage, but not as big of one as most people might think. DK's b air can get in between marth's f airs. DK's b airs and giant punches make this a pretty good fight. Like i said, i've been some of the best marths in the world with DK. If you can learn to ledge tech really well and learn how to escape tech chases, then you shouldn't have too many problems with marth.

Peach is a tough matchup. I honestly don't have too much peach experience so if it was at all possible, i'd say ask pkmvodka or Bum about this one, but i'm not even sure they check the threads anymore. I think that peach definately has the advantage since she's really fast in small areas and her d smash can tear up dk's already horrible shield. She also survives forever. Spamming b airs and giant punch are pretty much the strategies i'd go with, but again, like i said, i don't have a whole lot of peach experience...

otg

Smash Master
Word, thanks a lot for the info, I always wondered how Sheik did against DK. My friend gave me the idea that it was close to even but it never really made sense to me, Sheik chainthrows and destroys most of the low tiers pretty free.

Do you think DK should move up the tiers? A lot of people claim he should, but I honestly don't believe he's truly better than anyone above him. If anything the tier lines need to be redrawn.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Word, thanks a lot for the info, I always wondered how Sheik did against DK. My friend gave me the idea that it was close to even but it never really made sense to me, Sheik chainthrows and destroys most of the low tiers pretty free.

Do you think DK should move up the tiers? A lot of people claim he should, but I honestly don't believe he's truly better than anyone above him. If anything the tier lines need to be redrawn.
Well...sheik can't actually cg DK. She can d throw and combo you from it, but she can't actually cg him. And I can't really say whether DK should move up or not. I don't think that DK is as good as some people think. The reason why people like myself, pkmvodka, and Bum do well is because nobody knows how to fight DK. If everyone knew how to fight DK like my crew does, then i don't think many DK's would make it that far in tournament. Not even myself. DK has the disadvantage in too many fights. I mean...who would you put him up above if you moved him up? Link? Luigi? I dunno...not my call

otg

Smash Master
Well...sheik can't actually cg DK. She can d throw and combo you from it, but she can't actually cg him. And I can't really say whether DK should move up or not. I don't think that DK is as good as some people think. The reason why people like myself, pkmvodka, and Bum do well is because nobody knows how to fight DK. If everyone knew how to fight DK like my crew does, then i don't think many DK's would make it that far in tournament. Not even myself. DK has the disadvantage in too many fights. I mean...who would you put him up above if you moved him up? Link? Luigi? I dunno...not my call
Word agreed, I personally don't believe he should move up, but in the Tier Discussion thread people keep claiming he needs to be moved up. You should throw your insight there.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Word agreed, I personally don't believe he should move up, but in the Tier Discussion thread people keep claiming he needs to be moved up. You should throw your insight there.
I think that what the tier says isn't going to change the fact that i'm going to continue to whoop fox/falco/sheik/marth's @sses. lol. So they can change the tier all they want or they can leave it the same. I'm still going to rep with DK

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Something else i wanted to tell all you DK users out there, is that there's usually a better alternative to rolling when you're in a bad situation and you're in your shield. Up b is an obvious choice in some situations when it'll hit, but if it won't, there's still something you can do. You can jump and then up b immediately. When you're in the air, the hitbox for the strong hit is much bigger and will hit them pretty much as long as they're touching you. You can jump and immediately do your up b and wait on them for a second so that they can't chase you when you need to land. When your up b is about halfway done, start moving as far away as possible and you'll be set and get away scott free. Works great against fox and other shorter characters.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
'Kay, what about approaches?

DK's fair is pretty bad, I think, and his nair doesn't have that much range. His bair is good, but it requires a turn around first which I'm not sure how to do from a forward run and his JC grab is really predictable. His dair sets up well but it doesn't really have that much range...

I currently use the dair and nair, sometimes throwing in a JC grab, but do I have better options?

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
B air should be your main means of approach. Me personally, i don't like to approach much, i'd rather let them make the approach. DK is pretty good at luring people in since he can charge his giant punch. When you have to approach, like against someone who's decided to sit back and spam projectiles, approach with the b air. If you need to, you can always do a full jump and turn around with a quick giant punch charge and then you still have your second jump that you can use however you feel necessary depending on what your opponent is doing. I wouldn't do a full jump too close to your opponent though.. Like i said, me personally, i like to let them approach. My dk is pretty defensive and it works well for me...

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
From Brahma's "DK Throw Mini-FAQ":

Cargo-Up: This is what sets up many of DK’s awesome juggles.

Vs. Fastfallers: This move is an absolute nightmare for fastfallers, as you can grab them and put some ridiculous damage on them. At 0% if you grab them, and Cargo-U, you can usually get a free Giant Punch/U-smash/D-smash/U-tilts for damage racking. Also you can chain-throw with this, Cargo-U dash to follow their DI, grab again and repeat until about 30-40% when you can shorthop into the Cargo-U, then land and begin your shuffl’d Up-air juggles then finish with a Giant Punch/F-air for the KO (To see some great examples of this check out the vid of Captain Jack (DK) vs. ikki (Fox), and CJ vs. Delani (Falco)).

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
I don't particularly like that advice....First of all, you don't have to shffl your u airs. They auto-cancel on their own so there's no need to l cancel. Second of all, cg'ing is probably not the best method for adding damage/comboing. Me personally, i sh u throw, u air, regrab. Then i sh u throw, u air, u air, regrab. Then sh u throw u air, u air, and then giant punch or f air or whatever else i feel like doing...Thats imo the best way to do it. When you cg the whole time, you only add about 7 damage for each u throw and that takes a long time, and they just have that many more opportunities to escape...

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Huh, okay.

Oh, question. What about grab attacks? I generally go once per fifty damage, but can grabs be broken in that time?

phish-it

Smash Champion
I don't particularly like that advice....First of all, you don't have to shffl your u airs. They auto-cancel on their own so there's no need to l cancel.
I've been playing DK for all this time and never knew about this? ****.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Yeah, I found out that happened when I tried to L-cancel and shielded instead.

But like... grabs are harder to break out of the higher percent they're at, so shouldn't there be some rule of thumb?

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
...dude, stalker. I live in California, but my girlfriend is currently in New Zealand, so I stay up late to talk to her.

I also just got back from China, so my sleep cycles are even weirder and I'm a teenager, so that basically throws all normal sleeping rules out the window.

phish-it

Smash Champion
*sigh* Come on now DK community. This is just sad. lol. No wonder most people think that DK is a joke character. We've gotta step it up. Go out there and experiment with DK (and i mean that in every sense of the phrase ;) )

Hahah it's not like it actually accomplishishes anything that shuffling an up-air couldn't anyway

Top Bottom