• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The official "Ask Your Questions" thread

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
They're all even or close enough to where fretting over the advantage is silly and I'd rather focus on winning.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Note to self to test next time I play:
Ledgestand -> Shield -> Up-B OoS while edgeguarding.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Smashed a lot today when Drunk Parakeet (DP) and Catnip came over. I played a lot of matches with DP's falco. I forgot how good I was at this game. haha. I wish I had recorded the matches, they were really good. I forgot how fun smash was too. I hadn't played since Genesis 2.

KingofCereal

Smash Journeyman
Is there a quick or otherwise way to train yourself to be faster? Or DI better? Or avoid hits better? Say you're playing fox... how do you work him so you can get your grabs and combos going? He's just so fast

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Most of that stuff is just experience, and people learn at different paces. You can kinda practice not getting hit by fighting various levels of CPUs and dash dancing within their range and dashing away via reaction but the best thing to do is just play a lot. Getting grabs sometimes requires reads so you have to learn how to study your opponent's habits really quickly with DK.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
As for just playing faster and avoiding hits better, I found that playing as Fox for a while really helped me to learn how to think on my feet and make quick decisions more easily. Of course, it helped my tech skill, but it also forced me to make choices quickly as to how I would tech when I got hit and such. It also upped my reaction speed. My dash dancing got better and I 'reacted to hits' much better, so I missed much less techs.

Green Ranger

Smash Journeyman
What are DK's options from the ledge?

People catch on to the get up attack pretty easily, ledgehop nair and ledgehop fair are easy to react to, and I feel like his ledgehop waveland is really slow for some reason (maybe I'm doing it wrong).

Insights?

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Below 100%, get-up attack *****. Even if people "catch on" to it, it's kinda hard to stop if they're not already in the right position to guard against it. Ledgehop fair is easily reacted to, and I feel like ledgehop nair doesn't have enough range to help that much. Wavelanding should be fine. I think all wavelands have 10 frames of lag, so it shouldn't be 'slow' so to speak. Waveland>grab could be pretty cool. Ledgehop uair comes out fast and punishes your opponent for being too close to the ledge. Ledgehop upB is fairly safe, has decent knockback, comes out quickly, and has very little lag. I don't know how good ledgehop dair is, but it seems like it could lead into some pretty sweet combos if it connected. Don't forget that you also have ledgejumping, which is pretty solid for DK, imo. Oh, and let's not forget ledgehop Giant Punch. I've never used it, but in my mind, it seems like a nice, fast, punishing get-up that could reap a big immediate reward for not too much risk.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
So I've been watching vids of DK mains for a while now, studying and generally just lurking around trying to get better.

I feel like watching others and how they react to certain situations really diversifies my game, and whenever I see something I didn't expect I know I have more to learn.

So, I was studying up on the arts of Nedech, particularly the first match in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoBuy8elzfs&feature=relmfu
and was wondering specifically if the cargo-up Throw > Fair on sheik is PAL specific ( about 1:00 and 1:40). It looked like the fair came out much much faster and that the Up-throw had much less knockback growth. Is this do-able in NTSC?

phish-it

Smash Champion
DK is the same in both PAL and NTSC, so yes it's doable. That combo works on most characters at certain percent sans a few super floaties like Samus, Luigi and Jigglypuff.

When the Sheik downthrew the first time it made me happy.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
DK doesn't lose his charge when he gets hit out of his up b in pal. And I'm almost positive that cargo u throw to f air isn't guaranteed. I'm pretty sure they can just n air you out of it. Somebody who's not lazy like me should thoroughly test that. lol

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wBvTVPZbd8
this is the single greatest video ever made

MEXICAN: They can't nair out. And Cargo U-Throw -> Fair is not PAL specific; no falling speeds are changed between the versions so the combo functions exactly the same in both. Might kill Marth earlier in PAL though.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Marth, Sheik, Ganondorf, DK, Bowser, Roy, Link at slightly different percentages. Probably a couple more too. I wouldn't be surprised if Fox/Falco/Falcon eventually fell victim to it, but they die to other combos earlier.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wBvTVPZbd8
this is the single greatest video ever made
The comments on that vid were kinda confusing cuz they mentioned an AR code. Does DK taunt cancelling actually exist in Melee, or was that a cheat of some kind?

Marth, Sheik, Ganondorf, DK, Bowser, Roy, Link at slightly different percentages. Probably a couple more too. I wouldn't be surprised if Fox/Falco/Falcon eventually fell victim to it, but they die to other combos earlier.
Link but not YL? I always felt like YL fell faster than Link...

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
It's an Action Replay code. lmao is that a serious question.

YL as well, my bad. But YL doesn't fall faster than Link

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
not really. it can work... but not very often lol. i more often use ledgehop reverse giant punch as an edgeguarding option than using that as a recovery option.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Wavelanding should be fine. I think all wavelands have 10 frames of lag, so it shouldn't be 'slow' so to speak. Waveland>grab could be pretty cool.
DK's double jump rises slower than some characters. sheik/falco/fox all have really fast, high DJs that allow them to clear the ledge quickly so they can waveland. DK has to wait a bit longer, so his waveland is less useful, and, yes slower than most.

i usually find myself ledge jumping when i need to get back onstage. ledgehop nair can work, so can ledgehop upb. just don't be predictable lol

Top Bottom