• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Offical release date thread

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
While I worry we won't see it before October, I'm also aware enough that seeing it before probably July is pretty much a pipe dream.

How long we have to wait is going to largely stem on what they say during/around E3.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
there is still a slight chance it could come out in june, nintendo statement said BY not at the end

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
there is still a slight chance it could come out in june, nintendo statement said BY not at the end
It seems very doubtful that we'll get the game before the summer ends. This will mean that for those who are returning to school will have to restrain themselves if it means having to keep up with their school studies.

D

Deleted member

It seems very doubtful that we'll get the game before the summer ends. This will mean that for those who are returning to school will have to restrain themselves if it means having to keep up with their school studies.
I am still hoping for a summer release. I will need a game like SSB4 for my third year in college.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
I'm gonna guess that it'll be out September, October or November.

It'll generate a few sales then, and then by Christmas they can bundle systems with it or Mario Kart. Or both, it'd be a very wise selling strategy. Also by then their ads can pick up.

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
I've a feeling they'll hold off until November, just to take advantage of holiday season and black friday.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
I am still hoping for a summer release. I will need a game like SSB4 for my third year in college.
Hey! I'm going into my third year of college too lol.

I also hope for a summer release, and think it'll be a better move on Nintendo's part. Releasing it in the summer will let the core audience of that game be able to fully enjoy it.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
there just amount of evidence it release in summer as it will in winter. dont get why everyone expect winter

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
there just amount of evidence it release in summer as it will in winter. dont get why everyone expect winter
One of the reasons why people expect winter is partially a mental defence mechanism, they expect the worst to avoid a lot of disappointment. Unfortunately, Nintendo is well known for disappointing with release dates.

The other reason is due to Mario Kart 8's release being half-way through spring (probably mid-May). It took many by surprise (more disappointment), and I think many believed it was coming earlier, including me. I honestly expected April at the latest. Many people believe that by the time Smash is ready to go, we'd be well into fall, meaning Nintendo would most likely just bundle it up as a Christmas snag.

However, a lot of this will be cleared up by E3 I think. If Zelda, Metroid or any other big games show signs of coming out near Christmas time this year, then Nintendo may feel more comfortable pushing Smash out earlier. There's also a bigger team this time around, with Namco-Bandai helping it COULD make a difference.

I guess we can only hope it doesn't end up like Brawl, being pushed from mid-late 2007 to a quarter the way through 2008.

Last edited:

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
I don't understand why you think it will come out a month after Mario Kart. Especially if Mario Kart is the end of May. Nintendo wouldn't release 2 big titles back to back like that. I know you desperately want summer but be realistic.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I don't understand why you think it will come out a month after Mario Kart. Especially if Mario Kart is the end of May. Nintendo wouldn't release 2 big titles back to back like that. I know you desperately want summer but be realistic.
I really don't see why the prob with that would be, the wii u really needs this

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Honestly? I don't either. Wii U is in too deep s*** to not have as many titles. But at the same time, Sakurai does need as much as good time to polish Wii U as possible. They're probably being more secretive with the release date to avoid problems like Brawl did--it's very evident we won't get anything major until E3. Not to mention it's not like Nintendo doesn't have anything else in store for the holiday. You seriously think SSB/MK/X/Bayonetta 2 is all they've got?

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
anyone with me in hoping a launch window date is in the next direct?

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Even when we do get an actual release date, Japan will likely get all the glory first. Japan got Brawl much sooner than North America, and seeing as Sakurai is a Japan resident, he'll prefer to focus on the Japanese gamers first before any other region; Japan got Kirby Triple Deluxe first after all.

Simply put, while Japan gets to play Smash 4, the other regions will likely still have to stick with playing Mario Kart 8 for another month, if not two months.
Your last paragraph....thats gonna be Hell.......

I'm gonna guess that it'll be out September, October or November.

It'll generate a few sales then, and then by Christmas they can bundle systems with it or Mario Kart. Or both, it'd be a very wise selling strategy. Also by then their ads can pick up.
This all over..RealTalk

Last edited by a moderator:

peachy!

super princess
Here’s to hoping tonight’s Nintendo Direct features a release date, or at least a timeframe. I would not mind a fall release, really. Nintendo needs a hit for the holidays that can move consoles.

D

Deleted member

The fact that yesterday had the release date be "2014" is kinda concerning. I'm hoping to see something official soon.

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
Looking at an October release, in my opinion. This might be the year that Nintendo finally loses everything if all the Wii U gets is Mario Kart 8, Smash for, Bayonetta 2, Yarn Yoshi, and that other thing (giving them the benefit of the doubt that there is actually "another thing").

Thunderfang747

Smash Journeyman
I'm on the fence with this one, really don't know what to expect on the release date. There are a couple reasons that Mario Kart 8 potentially has an impact. First off, Nintendo would more or less be competing with themselves. Some people will not be able to buy two games around the same timeframe due to money issues. Then of those people, there might be a significant number who simply decide not to buy the other game after time has passed because the "new" novelty of the games will have worn off. Granted with Smash and Mario Kart being such big hitting multiplayer titles, this will be less of an issue than with, say, an adventure game. The problem is still exists though. Not only that, but if Smash and Mario Kart all come out within the same two month time frame and they have nothing else coming until November or later, they will be right back in the drought issue a few months down the line which will hurt their overall reputation further. On the other hand, the sooner these games come out the overall Wii U install base will also increase which is needed to draw in 3rd party companies. Also the Wii U does have a few other big games coming this year which could help with the drought issue being Bayonetta 2 and X. It could really go either way early summer to late fall, if I had to make a prediction I would say August or so though.

Last edited:

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
At this rate, it's late 2014. So October - December 2014. HOWEVER Sakurai is fighting some health issues, and if it gets worse, I don't think we'll see the game until 2015...yeah imagine that lol

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
with target getting prerelease cards I am hoping july at the latest

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
At this rate, it's late 2014. So October - December 2014. HOWEVER Sakurai is fighting some health issues, and if it gets worse, I don't think we'll see the game until 2015...yeah imagine that lol
It's not like Sakurai is doing all the work though, so even if he's suffering from body injuries, the other staff can still do their part to keep the game development going.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
We have essentially more than half of Brawl's roster. I'm banking on a Late Summer - Early Fall release for the game.

SSBIx3M

Smash Apprentice
Just to hop on the Mario Kart thing.
If we take the MK Wii ~ Brawl JP release as an example we could see a 3 Month difference between MK8 and SSB4.
I always had the feeling it will be released July/August.. Always trust your gut instincts! :D

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
also maybe mario kart was taking longer then they suspected and was silently delayed to may making it closer to the projected smash release

R0Y

Smash Master
Really expecting Q4 2014 (Oct, November, December) personally.

Top Bottom