• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Offical release date thread

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
hopefully we at least get a time frame in the april direct

HammerHappy

Smash Apprentice
I'm desperate for a summer release.

There's no way I'm buying a Wii U and I'm heading off to university in the fall. So I would basically have the summer playing at a friends house to get my fill of the console version.
Then I would have to find a new guy with a Wii U and Smash to be friends with. Or just be content with the 3DS version.

I never understood why so many big titles release in the fall. People higher in their education know they don't have the time to be playing a lot of video games and people lower in their education have a hard time convincing their parents to buy new games for them. I know I did when I was younger.

I mean, what parent goes "Oh man, start of a new school year for Jimmy. Better buy him video games to occupy his time instead of homework so he falls behind."

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
Since Mario Kart 8 is due out May 30th, a late June or early July release seems likely. We're sure as hell not getting it before MK8.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Wasn't that Nintendo Direct covering games releasing by the end of Spring 2014? If so, the fact that they added something about Smash Bros. could mean it's closer than most of us think. Obviously, that's wishful thinking, but it does seem possible, since the game looks very finished and the fact that the Wii U needs more games desperately. Even thought they have not shown very many characters at all at this point, I hope they leave at least half of the cast unannounced by time of release, with at least 1/3 of them not unlocked from the start. I like only knowing enough about a game beforehand that I know it's worth the buy, with the unknown stuff in there to keep me busy for months(or years, if it does as well as Melee did).

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I would guess sometime after E3, say, late summer is when the games will drop. But I could easily be wrong about that. The holiday season has a bunch of major releases too. So perhaps then.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Wasn't that Nintendo Direct covering games releasing by the end of Spring 2014? If so, the fact that they added something about Smash Bros. could mean it's closer than most of us think. Obviously, that's wishful thinking, but it does seem possible, since the game looks very finished and the fact that the Wii U needs more games desperately. Even thought they have not shown very many characters at all at this point, I hope they leave at least half of the cast unannounced by time of release, with at least 1/3 of them not unlocked from the start. I like only knowing enough about a game beforehand that I know it's worth the buy, with the unknown stuff in there to keep me busy for months(or years, if it does as well as Melee did).
Sakurai had to debunk a rumor about a spring release not too long ago, and SSB4 was in the holiday season direct too.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
if the trend of 2 characters per month continues we will have 30 characters after e3 which would be a ideal starting roster

BugDoctor

Smash Apprentice
If I remember correctly, when Brawl was released, 24 characters had been publicly shown. The secret characters had pages you could access, but they weren't obviously displayed. So that's about 2/3 of the entire roster.

For this game, I'm assuming there will be an absolute maximum of 50 characters. I can't see Sakurai including anymore than that. So even though Sakurai is incredibly unpredictable, I'm going to try and apply some logic here. Two-thirds of 50 is about 33-34 characters, so let's say that many characters are revealed before we get a release date. We're getting releases of roughly two veterans per month, and a newcomer roughly every two months. Our last revealed character was Diddy Kong on Friday, February 21st, which brought the revealed roster to 24 (the same amount that we had when Brawl was released). We only need 9 more characters to be revealed before hitting that same proportion as when Brawl was released, assuming a 50 character roster (let's face it, it will likely be less than 50).

E3 starts on June 10th which is roughly 3.5 months away. So I'd assume we'll get one more newcomer before E3, and anywhere between 6 and 8 veterans...but let's assume 7 just because it's the middle ground. That'll bring us up to 32 characters, and the E3 presentation will undoubtedly have a trailer with at least one newcomer. This would be the prime point to tell us the release date, bringing cheers to the crowd and fanboys/girls throughout the world.

From all of this hypothetical info, I'm assuming well get the release date at E3, so we definitely won't get the game beforehand. That being said, an ideal revealed roster should be established at that point and I would expect the release date to not be too long after June. At the earliest, I can see an August release. The latest possible date is obviously December 31st, 2014, but I think in reality the latest release we'd see is late November, when Nintendo seems to release a heavy-hitter in time for the holidays.

Sakurai has stated that he wants this game in our hands as early as possible, and so I'm hoping it will be late summer or early fall. There's too much riding on this game for it to be delayed, and so I doubt that will happen. If Nintendo needs to, they should push other titles back rather than this one, as it will be a huge system-moving title.

Those are my thoughts. I'm sure they will be useless since unpredictable stuff always happens with Smash Bros...but I'm just trying to figure out a rough pattern to sort-of adhere to.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

There's no way I'm buying a Wii U and I'm heading off to university in the fall. So I would basically have the summer playing at a friends house to get my fill of the console version.
Then I would have to find a new guy with a Wii U and Smash to be friends with. Or just be content with the 3DS version.

I never understood why so many big titles release in the fall. People higher in their education know they don't have the time to be playing a lot of video games and people lower in their education have a hard time convincing their parents to buy new games for them. I know I did when I was younger.

I mean, what parent goes "Oh man, start of a new school year for Jimmy. Better buy him video games to occupy his time instead of homework so he falls behind."
Because of this guy

2Q==-1.jpeg

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
And then you remember there's a 3DS version as well, which is honestly the better version to be a holiday title.

The Wii U version? Nintendo needs help and needs it *now*.

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
With Mario Kart 8 coming in May I can easily wait till fall winter for Smash. Mario Kart 8 is going to rock.

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
Soviet Prince this game will not be out in the summer know matter how hard you want it to be. Mario Kart 8 will tide me over and then some before and after Smash.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Soviet Prince this game will not be out in the summer know matter how hard you want it to be. Mario Kart 8 will tide me over and then some before and after Smash.
you have as much evidence as I do, it may release in winter next year but stop acting like you know for sure because you dont

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
According to what I read from Sakurai, the game will be out at the end of this year, so I'd say around fall is more like it.

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
you have as much evidence as I do, it may release in winter next year but stop acting like you know for sure because you dont
When you stop whining every 2 mins about a summer release I'll stop reminding you that it won't happen. Use some common sense. Nintendo is not going to release Mario Kart and then Smash like that. Kids these days have no patience.

Last edited:

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I do not need you to remind me of anything because you know as much as I do on the release date so you dont have the right to tell me anything wont happen. Yes it has a chance to release in the fall or later but it has a chance to maybe hit the june-aug months as well. Also brawl was one or two months from mario kart wii so that argument is invalid

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
I do not need you to remind me of anything because you know as much as I do on the release date so you dont have the right to tell me anything wont happen. Yes it has a chance to release in the fall or later but it has a chance to maybe hit the june-aug months as well. Also brawl was one or two months from mario kart wii so that argument is invalid
And that was because of multiple delays and not the original plan. I really doubt that will happen this time. You seriously need some patience.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
When you stop whining every 2 mins about a summer release I'll stop reminding you that it won't happen. Use some common sense. Nintendo is not going to release Mario Kart and then Smash like that. Kids these days have no patience.
Honestly a summer release is most likely. Nintendo can "wait" and "hope" that Mario Kart is enough. But it isn't going to be. Not for the Wii U. Smash bros. is what nintendo needs as soon as possible. The release is stated at 2014 because most likely the Wii U version will be out before the 3ds version. Getting a summer release isn't being impatient. Its simply realistic. This game has been in development for a long time now. I'm a patient guy. But I don't think that the game will be released at the end of the year just because I don't want to look forward to something I don't think will happen. It just makes sense for them to release it after E3. Hype=sales simple as that. And if the games come out at different times than Hype=Wii U version sales and Christmas=3ds version sales.

Last edited:

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
And that was because of multiple delays and not the original plan. I really doubt that will happen this time. You seriously need some patience.
for all we know mario kart was secretly delayed from the point it was targeted to release.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
for all we know mario kart was secretly delayed from the point it was targeted to release.
I actually had that suspicion a while ago as well. Nintendo may be just using this new vague season-release date tactic to avoid anger when they inevitably delay things.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Yes, that's why we still don't have a specific release date for SSB4. There's nothing indicating that it needs to wait until November to get those powerful holiday sales, because that's what the 3DS version is for. Wii U needs hype and it needs it now.

But mostly this guy said it better than me:
Honestly a summer release is most likely. Nintendo can "wait" and "hope" that Mario Kart is enough. But it isn't going to be. Not for the Wii U. Smash bros. is what nintendo needs as soon as possible. The release is stated at 2014 because most likely the Wii U version will be out before the 3ds version. Getting a summer release isn't being impatient. Its simply realistic. This game has been in development for a long time now. I'm a patient guy. But I don't think that the game will be released at the end of the year just because I don't want to look forward to something I don't think will happen. It just makes sense for them to release it after E3. Hype=sales simple as that. And if the games come out at different times than Hype=Wii U version sales and Christmas=3ds version sales.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
people assume if it releases in summer, the game will magically disappear in the holidays killing the sales.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
thread updated, does anyone have photos of the target preorder like to add it.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
had a friend from japan translate sakurai's latest tweet:

"Thank you for your message about the 2nd year celebration of the new Baruten. I didn't even notice it.....I was thinking back to then and I realized the smash bros 3ds/wiiu is coming at quite a fast pace"

what do you think this means toward a release date?

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
I'll repeat what I said in the E3-thread, since its probably more relevant here. Anyways, here it is:
Food for thought: Isn't it weird that Sakurai is already showing trophies in the pics of the day? I don't know, I just get the feeling that that is something you work on in the absolute last phase of making a Smash game and that it doesn't get that much priority. That they basically get as many trophies as they have time for in there, the last weeks/months untill release? To me it looks a bit like this game could be alot closer to done than we think.

Maybe E3 will have a pretty big demo and the game will release shortly after? Sales riding on the hype and media coverage from E3 demo, trailers and all that. Just a thought.

Last edited:

the smash nerd

Smash Ace
NNID
Nick.s3dsWiFi2
3DS FC
0344-9996-3724
I'll repeat what I said in the E3-thread, since its probably more relevant here. Anyways, here it is:
Food for thought: Isn't it weird that Sakurai is already showing trophies in the pics of the day? I don't know, I just get the feeling that that is something you work on in the absolute last phase of making a Smash game and that it doesn't get that much priority. That they basically get as many trophies as they have time for in there, the last weeks/months untill release? To me it looks a bit like this game could be alot closer to done than we think.

Maybe E3 will have a pretty big demo and the game will release shortly after? Sales riding on the hype and media coverage from E3 demo, trailers and all that. Just a thought.
Yes! Yes! [Smash 4 Wii u and 3DS in Q2]

D

Deleted member

had a friend from japan translate sakurai's latest tweet:

"Thank you for your message about the 2nd year celebration of the new Baruten. I didn't even notice it.....I was thinking back to then and I realized the smash bros 3ds/wiiu is coming at quite a fast pace"

what do you think this means toward a release date?
If it's at a good pace, then I can see SSB4 get released around August to November. I find a July release date a bit out of question now.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

^What leads you to say that?
If it's at a good pace, then I can see it get released rather soon. Even then, it might even still be out of question with what little we know outside of characters and stages (single player modes anyone?).

I can see SSB4 get released within that time frame, but I kinda expect a delay into 2015.

the smash nerd

Smash Ace
NNID
Nick.s3dsWiFi2
3DS FC
0344-9996-3724
If it's at a good pace, then I can see it get released rather soon. Even then, it might even still be out of question with what little we know outside of characters and stages (single player modes anyone?).

I can see SSB4 get released within that time frame, but I kinda expect a delay into 2015.
:mad:No! I say Smash 4 in Q2

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
They're likely keeping the meat of the information close to their chest. Consider that Brawl was overhyped and nearly every secret in the game was shown off before release. They're going to show far less and keep things close to their chest. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw nothing of additional game modes and whatnot before E3, yet a close release date after that.

Combine that with the really, really BAD spot Wii U is in. The gaming pressed has talked so much s*** and so much false s*** that Nintendo will need every ounce of help it can get. As much as many of us like it, Mario Kart and a slew of indie games won't cut it for Nintendo until the fall, and rear-loading the holidays is a recipe for some of the smaller games getting skipped.

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes

I don't know about you, but I take a course on children (I'm studying to become a social worker.) I do very little else but play video games. It's course dependant, but personally university doesn't fill a huge deal of my time. And thanks to the gamepad, my girlfriend still gets her choice of television! :)

Additionally, while personally I still lean towards a November release, it would make much more sense business-wise to release MK8 and SSB4 on the belt, one after the other, May and June. While one big title would sell systems, two at the same time would persuade a lot more people to make the purchase. One title and another gap between it and SSB4 isn't likely to persuade many.

Last edited:

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Hoping for: June-July release.
Predicting: September-October release.

If I remember correctly, when Brawl was released, 24 characters had been publicly shown. The secret characters had pages you could access, but they weren't obviously displayed. So that's about 2/3 of the entire roster.

For this game, I'm assuming there will be an absolute maximum of 50 characters. I can't see Sakurai including anymore than that. So even though Sakurai is incredibly unpredictable, I'm going to try and apply some logic here. Two-thirds of 50 is about 33-34 characters, so let's say that many characters are revealed before we get a release date. We're getting releases of roughly two veterans per month, and a newcomer roughly every two months. Our last revealed character was Diddy Kong on Friday, February 21st, which brought the revealed roster to 24 (the same amount that we had when Brawl was released). We only need 9 more characters to be revealed before hitting that same proportion as when Brawl was released, assuming a 50 character roster (let's face it, it will likely be less than 50).

E3 starts on June 10th which is roughly 3.5 months away. So I'd assume we'll get one more newcomer before E3, and anywhere between 6 and 8 veterans...but let's assume 7 just because it's the middle ground. That'll bring us up to 32 characters, and the E3 presentation will undoubtedly have a trailer with at least one newcomer. This would be the prime point to tell us the release date, bringing cheers to the crowd and fanboys/girls throughout the world.

From all of this hypothetical info, I'm assuming well get the release date at E3, so we definitely won't get the game beforehand. That being said, an ideal revealed roster should be established at that point and I would expect the release date to not be too long after June. At the earliest, I can see an August release. The latest possible date is obviously December 31st, 2014, but I think in reality the latest release we'd see is late November, when Nintendo seems to release a heavy-hitter in time for the holidays.

Sakurai has stated that he wants this game in our hands as early as possible, and so I'm hoping it will be late summer or early fall. There's too much riding on this game for it to be delayed, and so I doubt that will happen. If Nintendo needs to, they should push other titles back rather than this one, as it will be a huge system-moving title.

Those are my thoughts. I'm sure they will be useless since unpredictable stuff always happens with Smash Bros...but I'm just trying to figure out a rough pattern to sort-of adhere to.
You're probably right about all of this. Another thing to note is how the secret characters will be displayed this time around. It's safe to assume that some of the characters we've already seen will be unlockable, so we might see more characters before release than we had expected.

And your icon is amazing, by the way.

Last edited:

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
Combine that with the really, really BAD spot Wii U is in. The gaming pressed has talked so much s*** and so much false s*** that Nintendo will need every ounce of help it can get. As much as many of us like it, Mario Kart and a slew of indie games won't cut it for Nintendo until the fall, and rear-loading the holidays is a recipe for some of the smaller games getting skipped.
Nintendo isn't even developing the game. How are they going to force Sakurai to rush the game's release to summer when they didn't rush the series that sells more than Smash, Mario Kart.

Top Bottom