• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Nuzlocke Challenge

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I can't find the sauce, but oh well.

The Nuzlocke Challenge

Two rules:
1. If a Pokémon faints, you must release it as soon as possible.
2. You can only catch the first Pokémon you encounter in a route / cave / town / area. If you defeat the first pokemon you see, tough ****, you get nothing from this area.

Additional, optional rules, for real men.
-You must nickname your Pokémon.
-If a town you go to contains a body of water or a gift, pokemon like Bill’s Eevee in G/S/C/HG/SS, that may be considered a Pokemon of a new area.
-If your entire party faints, they all must be thrown away. If you have a pokemon left in a box somewhere, you may continue, otherwise you must start your game over.
-Treat pokeballs as rare artifacts; at no point can you buy them from stores. You can only use ones you find in the wild or are awarded.
-You are, under no circumstance, allowed to use healing items outside of battle.
-You may not switch out before the enemy trainer sends in a new Pokemon.
-You are not allowed to use legendaries in battle.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I MAY do this on an emu (I really don't want to waste all my valuable pokemon in my DS) on Platinum... I'm sorry but the solo run with Horsea really scarred me. I had to do some severe pokegrinding to like level 60 to defeat the Eterna Gym :mad:

I might do it someday though. Can you use pokeballs that are gifts though like master balls?

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I know that... but can you switch pokemon out at anytime of the battle or can you only use 1 the whole time in the battle?

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
and what does SET mean?
Lrn2playwithsettings.

It doesn't ask you if you want to switch out once you faint a Pokémon on SET. SHIFT does.

I really want to try a challenge like this. Probably on HG, but that means I either need to A) abandon SRing for a shiny starter or B) get one FAST. Hopefully the latter...

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Hm, actually, I changed my mind. I'm going to transfer my Pokémon from my most recent run (my solo-Jiggs run I completed ages ago) from Pearl and do it on that. Given the wild Pokémon gap that develops in HG/SS, having to start from scratch on Pokémon in it might not be a good idea...

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I actually tried something even more hardcore than this before. It was a no Marts and Centers run, and you couldn't just let yourself lose to heal your Pokemon. You had to reset if you lost. It took me three hours just to get to Oreburgh City, and at that point I was done. In fact, I was too exhausted in real life to continue the challenge. It was, in all honestly, the most painful challenge I ever tried. If anyone ever wants to have a mental breakdown, try that challenge.

But anyway, I think I'll try this. Probably on LeafGreen. :) Maybe Diamond/Platinum though. I need to get the legendaries from there again anyway, so it'd be a nice excuse to run through for.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Oh... I don't really care about settings so... yeah...

There's no way I'm having a mental breakdown doing this...

Especially the mental breakdown I had pokegrinding Horsea and still losing at the Eterna gym :mad:

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Oh no, I meant that the other challenge I did could cause a mental breakdown. This challenge seems too fun to have a mental breakdown from it. :p

I decided to do it in Platinum. Started with a Chimchar named Minko with a Timid nature and decent IVs across the board. Then I got a crappy Starly named Trudly, which after I leveled it up to 7 died in my first trainer battle to double crits. >.<

**** you Trudly, I'm not going to miss you. I'm hoping to find a better version of you, who won't die to his weaker clone like you did.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
annoying1359's Fire Red Nuzlocke Challenge Run!

Attempt 1: Forgot to nickname starter. Fail.
Attempt 2: Accidentally triggered second rival battle on Route 22. Released all of my Pokemon. Fail.

Attempt 3:
Starter: Shelly the Squirtle
My Route 22 Rattata got KOed by a crit while training. FFFFFF
Caught a new Rattata, named Shorts!
KOed the first Viridian Forest Pokemon I saw, Kakuna, with a crit. FFFFFFFFFFF
Second Rattata got KOed by a Weedle Poison Sting crit. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Shelly evolved! Huzzah!
Shelly OHKOed the first Spearow on the route with Tackle. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Caught level 9 Zubat in Mt. Moon, named Chewy!
Used up 20 Supersonic PP trying to kill a level 7 Zubat after I ran out of Astonish PP. Ended up killing with Struggle after I ran out of Leech Life.
Caught Spearow on Route 4.
Currently leveling up Spearow and Zubat.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Pokemon Crystal (emulation)

Trainer: Tery
Starter: Cyndaquil

Began leveling up Fireworks the Cyndaquil.
Ignored everything on Route west of New Bark Town.

...and that's about it so far.

-Terywj

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I want to start this tonight.

I should totally do a TWEWY theme for my nicknames. But then if I name anything *Character death spoilers*
Rhyme, Sho, Megumi, etc.
*/Character death spoilers* I may be provoking fate...

What would be ironic is if the people who DID get erased are the only ones to survive.

FAILchion-

OH HE'S SO PRINGLES
The Final Countdown is now playing in your head.
Okay, so I started the game on Sapphire, got my Mudkip (cleverly named Mudkipz!!1) and surprisingly, I got all the way to May without encountering a single Pokemon and I beat her just fine. Mudkipz!!1 learns Mud-Slap. Grab my PokeDex, I'm out the door, I'm gonna hit this city Oldale Town. Along the way, the first thing I see. A ****ing shiny Poochyena. Needless to say, I caught it and named it Wolverine. <3 This challenge is gonna be funnn.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I was starting, got to Sandgem, and realized...

I don't feel like playing Pearl.

So I'm going to do Sapphire, since I want to do third gen and can't reset Ruby or Emerald.

EDIT: Guys, idea I just got from the thread on Smogon. Rather than releasing the Pokémon that faint, make a box for fallen Pokémon and put them in there, so you can go back and see all of the Pokémon you lost along the way. If you're working on an honor system (i.e. don't want to cheat yourself out of the challenge you voluntarily decided to do in the first place) it won't matter that they're still there.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I watched my friend play Touhoumon FireRed once...that game is ridiculously creepy, considering you throw balls at little girls to catch them and then use them as slaves to fight other little girls.

Anyway. I am setting off in Sapphire now as Megumi the Pokémon Trainer, with his trusty sidekick, Yodai the Mudkip.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
God I'm such a fail.

I ran into a Pokémon on my way to fight May on Route 103, so no Pokémon for me there. I crit'd the first Pokémon I found on Route 102, which was a Wurmple anyways.

First Pokémon on Route 104? Another Wurmple. At least I caught it...Uzuki the Wurmple has joined my party, and evolved into a Silcoon!

PARTY:

Yodai the Mudkip, lv. 10
Uzuki the Silcoon, lv. 7

ERASED:

None

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
So I decided to do this with Touhoumon FireRed. Yeah, lost to Brock. WHY IS MY EVERYTHING WEAK TO ROCK!!? So, yeah. Going to try again tomorrow.
Jpp8, you always post randomly and obscurely in threads...

Okay, so I started the game on Sapphire, got my Mudkip (cleverly named Mudkipz!!1) and surprisingly, I got all the way to May without encountering a single Pokemon and I beat her just fine. Mudkipz!!1 learns Mud-Slap. Grab my PokeDex, I'm out the door, I'm gonna hit this city Oldale Town. Along the way, the first thing I see. A ****ing shiny Poochyena. Needless to say, I caught it and named it Wolverine. <3 This challenge is gonna be funnn.
Nice, is this your actual cartridge game or is it on an emulator?

That's so...weird. I don't really have anything else to say about it.

-Terywj

jigglyppuff8

Smash Lord
lowercase kthnx

OK. Outside of Mt. Moon. Team kinda beat up. Puppets in teens range. Rival's Pokemon in 20s. ALL TOHO ORBS (Poke Balls) GONE.
Options:
1. Turn back and grind some more.
2. Push forward, grind there, and lose a chance at a Puppet.

Definitely Going with the former.

Lives Left:
OJOU-SAMA / Sakuya / Ice-Steel Wartortle lv. 22 ♀
RUTILE / Chibi SunnyMilk / Ponyta lv. 18 ♀
FUTA / Chibi Reisen / Psychic Cleffa type lv. 17 ♂
BUCKET / Chibi Kisume / Fire-Water Geodude type lv. 13 ♀

Bombs Used:
CHIN-CHIN / Chibi Mystia / Pidgey lv. 3 ♀ - Wild crit

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Fire-Water Geodude ♀
It's the end of the world.

On an emu. For some reason I find it a bit unbearable to just release Pokemon on an actual cartridge like that. :< That, and I only have one Sapphire, and I'm happy with the Pokemon I have on here haha.
Ahh. Just wondering, since shiny Poochyena is pretty awesome.

-Terywj

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
You've got to be kidding me.

I went into Petalburg Woods to get my next new Pokémon -- maybe even a Shroomish. What do I get?

ANOTHER WURMPLE. ._.

Better yet, I trained it up to level 7 to see if I'd get Cascoon or Silcoon. What do I get? Another Silcoon.

So Rhyme the Silcoon is now sitting in the box in reserve.

Party:

Yodai the Mudkip, level 11
Uzuki the Silcoon, level 8

In reserve:

Rhyme the Silcoon, level 7

Erased:

None

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Day 1
Day 2

Beat Misty, wasn't too bad.
Beat rival. Again, was fairly easy.
Skipped two patches of grass following Nugget Bridge due to lack of Poké Balls.
Got S. S. Anne Ticket.
Fought my way to Vermilion City.
Navigated through grass east of Vermilion, found Great Ball. Captured Diglett, named Triple Sec.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Day 1
Day 2

Beat Misty, wasn't too bad.
Beat rival. Again, was fairly easy.
Skipped two patches of grass following Nugget Bridge due to lack of Poké Balls.
Got S. S. Anne Ticket.
Fought my way to Vermilion City.
Navigated through grass east of Vermilion, found Great Ball. Captured Diglett, named Triple Sec.
2 gyms down, 6 more to go!

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
As a small aside, I'll be doing all the rules in the OP, but will be using a modified version of the Pokeball rule; whenever my ball bag is empty (ignoring the Master Ball, which will be unused), I'm allowed to buy 5 balls of whatever is cheapest in the next town, just so I don't get screwed if I find a shiny (and I still probably will be if I only have 1 Pokeball when I find one, but at least I tried).

Chapter 1: Humble Beginnings

Version: Sapphire
Trainer: FURICHI (should be Furuichi >.>)
Badges: 0

This is the first time I've done this challenge, played Sapphire, and chosen Treecko as my starter. Actually, the first time I've chosen anything other than Mudkip as my starter. >.>

He's male, so I named him OGA (since Oga and Furucihi are partners for life :laugh:). I SR'ed for a Modest one, since this will be the only time in the game where I have a choice of natures.

After a narrow victory against my rival (she critted on me and left me with 3 HP >.< but I had a Potion), I moved on past Petalburg, where I found a Zigzagoon who I named KANZAKI, since he has spiky hair.

In the next route I found...another Zigzagoon. >.< I named it KANZAKI.05, since it isn't even 10% of the real Kanzaki. >:/ I've kept it in my party, however, since dual Pick-up is too pro (already got 3 Nuggets, some potions, a Rare Candy and a Full Heal :D).

Moving on to Viridian Forest, I encountered a Wurmple who managed to poison Kanzaki just before I was able to throw a ball. D: I thought I had a Nuzlocke Beautifly situation on my hands, but I encountered a wild Pokemon and the Full Heal Kanzaki picked up ended up saving him. I named the Wurmple HAMEGAWA to compliment Kanzaki, who are somewhat rivals with each other (what with the poisoning and all).

After a bit of grinding, Hamegawa evolved into a Silcoon and then a Beautifly. I would have LOVED a Dustox, but a Beautifly is good too. :p

---

My Team:

My Box:

Empty

My Cemetery:

Empty

---

All-male cast. >.> This is turning out incredibly predictable for my usual runs...

Also, anyone who can get my (slightly obscure) references is cool in my book.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Tried this of FR. Failed.

My party:

H2O Tamer the Squirtle
Speedo the Spearow
Sparky the Pikachu

...yeah I didn't pass viridian forest XD

Top Bottom