• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Nu Smashboards Arena: Revival of Online - Check 1st Post!

Zork

Smash Apprentice
Sorry something came up, I won't be able to play now. Maybe tomorrow.

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
Ace: GG's lol. Crazy Mewtwo :p Jelly. And thar Lucas was insane. #Roy

Meteor: GGs Jelly. I had fun playing as Squirtle, I didn't really start playing as him until this morning.
thanks ace! and meteor i gotta say that squirtle is pretty impressive. i actually have squirtle experience so i knew how to deal with the mu a bit. i would love to face that squirtle some more

Zork

Smash Apprentice
KrobbleGoo I'm once again available if you still want to play some Brawl. Shall I host? Let me know as soon as you can.

KrobbleGoo

Smash Rookie
KrobbleGoo I'm once again available if you still want to play some Brawl. Shall I host? Let me know as soon as you can.
Sorry i put in as much of a fight as the sandbag... lol does online always have slight delay? (regardless that i suck)

Zork

Smash Apprentice
Yeah GGS. Believe it or not that's actually considered a GOOD connection as far as Brawl wifi goes lol. I have had to play in far laggier ones D: I could tell you weren't used to it though, all those early SDs. But yeah there's definitely a lot of fundamental things you need to improve on as well.

And yes, input delay unfortunately is normal as far as Brawl wifi goes.

KrobbleGoo

Smash Rookie
Yeah GGS. Believe it or not that's actually considered a GOOD connection as far as Brawl wifi goes lol. I have had to play in far laggier ones D: I could tell you weren't used to it though, all those early SDs. But yeah there's definitely a lot of fundamental things you need to improve on as well.

And yes, input delay unfortunately is normal as far as Brawl wifi goes.
what fundamentals? and i know mario is low tier :L

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
GGs guys and Merry Xmas all~ Had fun!

Sorry wish i could stay but i got stuff to do. I swear my worst matchup is mario. Its hard to do anything. Him and like Wolf

Zork

Smash Apprentice
Well things like:

1. You can't just charge up Smashes all the time at long ranges and expect competent players to just run into them, they are actually very unsafe when used like this all the time. That's really not going to net you reliable kills either. It's better to not fish for the kills and just continue to poke away with aerials/tilts while being mobile and eventually your opponent will screw up or you'll get them in a position where the kill is almost guaranteed.

2. Likewise dash attacks are not that safe on shield, can't really use them to approach.

3. Similar to number 1. You need more well spaced short hop aerials and tilts in your game as those are usually safer to throw out than Smash attacks. For example, Mario/Falco's aerial retreating fireballs/lasers are obviously much safer than grounded fireballs/lasers.

4. Watch those rolls. Rolling is not that safe as you saw, especially when you make it that obvious. I literally just ran forward knowing you were going to roll toward the ledge and did a kill move. I killed you at least three times like this. Rolling is not a good mobility tool, it's better as a rare mixup. Dashing/walking around while short hopping/shielding slightly is better.

5. Mixup your recovery and landing options. Don't always do the same thing as that's another thing that can get you punished hard.

6. Character specific tech. You could probably ask around or look up high level matches of the characters you want to use to get ideas of more effective ways to play them.

A lot of this will come over time if you keep practising. You are actually pretty good for a new player here.

DAS

Smash Ace
NNID
DAS1989
I can play. I think I haven't played brawl since the last time we played.

GGs Blue we played really paced those games. It seems our connection is worse than it use to be unfortunately. We had a green and yellow connection usually back then, but now its red hmm.

Stinks that you messed up a few ledge moves which cost sds at times.

Muhti

Turkish Smasher
all this from a rookie?

DAYUMMMMMMM son...

Sorry if I am being disruptive.

It's just....

I won't be getting a hug from Xiroey Claus and it upsets me.

KrobbleGoo

Smash Rookie
Well things like:

1. You can't just charge up Smashes all the time at long ranges and expect competent players to just run into them, they are actually very unsafe when used like this all the time. That's really not going to net you reliable kills either. It's better to not fish for the kills and just continue to poke away with aerials/tilts while being mobile and eventually your opponent will screw up or you'll get them in a position where the kill is almost guaranteed.

2. Likewise dash attacks are not that safe on shield, can't really use them to approach.

3. Similar to number 1. You need more well spaced short hop aerials and tilts in your game as those are usually safer to throw out than Smash attacks. For example, Mario/Falco's aerial retreating fireballs/lasers are obviously much safer than grounded fireballs/lasers.

4. Watch those rolls. Rolling is not that safe as you saw, especially when you make it that obvious. I literally just ran forward knowing you were going to roll toward the ledge and did a kill move. I killed you at least three times like this. Rolling is not a good mobility tool, it's better as a rare mixup. Dashing/walking around while short hopping/shielding slightly is better.

5. Mixup your recovery and landing options. Don't always do the same thing as that's another thing that can get you punished hard.

6. Character specific tech. You could probably ask around or look up high level matches of the characters you want to use to get ideas of more effective ways to play them.

A lot of this will come over time if you keep practising. You are actually pretty good for a new player here.
i more or less just play house parties and stuff, i know mario sucks but i like his playstyle. i have always depended on rolling. gonna start getting over that

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
GGs Das. I don't know if you were reading me or just throwing out moves hoping I would run into them, but you showed me I have a lot ot learn.
I have no idea what to do vs toon link on wifi. I think tl has the advantage vs mk on wifi since mk can't reliably shield anything. I wonder what the top mk's do for this mu.
Your ZSS is really good. I suggest trying to grab my shield approaches sometimes. We don't play seriously so if you get punished for a few grabs, it's no problem. But if I know there is a possibility that you would grab my shield approach, then I'm going to hesitate to approach like that, which is the best option vs ZSS since she has a bad grab game.

GGs Blue we played really paced those games. It seems our connection is worse than it use to be unfortunately. We had a green and yellow connection usually back then, but now its red hmm.

Stinks that you messed up a few ledge moves which cost sds at times.

I noticed that too. I hope it's better next time. Most sd's were my fault.
When I sd because wifi failed to recognize my jump input, that is a wifi sd, however, If I move my controller the wrong direction, then it's my fault.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
GGs, Cons and Hound. Sorry about playing so campy with Mario, but the lag was making me feel helpless and I couldn't really think of anything else to do lol.

someonerandom

Smash Journeyman
Good games TimeSmash, I'll be heading off now.

There was some input lag, but I think we've all had our fair share on here, lol. If that's how all Zelda matches go, I hate Zelda, ugh. That Din's Fire camping is so hard to get through.

If I did have to say one thing though, it would be to ditch the rolling habit. It can be a bit hard to punish on wifi, but even so, once or twice when I respawned, I would wait for one of your rolls and get a Rest off of it.

DAS

Smash Ace
NNID
DAS1989
GGs Das. I don't know if you were reading me or just throwing out moves hoping I would run into them, but you showed me I have a lot ot learn.
I have no idea what to do vs toon link on wifi. I think tl has the advantage vs mk on wifi since mk can't reliably shield anything. I wonder what the top mk's do for this mu.
Your ZSS is really good. I suggest trying to grab my shield approaches sometimes. We don't play seriously so if you get punished for a few grabs, it's no problem. But if I know there is a possibility that you would grab my shield approach, then I'm going to hesitate to approach like that, which is the best option vs ZSS since she has a bad grab game.

I noticed that too. I hope it's better next time. Most sd's were my fault.
When I sd because wifi failed to recognize my jump input, that is a wifi sd, however, If I move my controller the wrong direction, then it's my fault.

I did throw out plenty attacks mostly since you were playing it slow and steady. I wanted you to approach me if anything, so I played by reaction and tried to react faster than you with my attacks. If anything I wasn't reading you since you weren't doing a lot. Its harder to guess when opponents don't respond often. I just threw them out when I thought they could hit you.

I don't really know what to tell you about Toon Link vs MK online. I guess you take your time if anything depending on the lag anyway.

As for ZSS thanks for the compliment. I can do that sometimes since I don't, but only if its to surprise you. I mean with MK speed you can roll around it and get me if I'm not careful.

Thanks though.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Yes ugh I know! I try not to camp too much with Zelda, but in a Jiggs matchup I have to lay them there and then kind of work my way in. Zelda's aerials are great, but Jiggs are much better, and the risk isn't as bad. I definitely need to roll less, it's become a bad habit. Sometimes it was meant to be a short hop air dodge or things of the like as a mixup, but good ol' Wifi decided it would be a roll.

Edit I'll host dead

Top Bottom