• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The not so many advanced techniques and combinations of Snake GIVE MOAR!!!

The not so many advanced techniques and combinations of Snake

This thread is for the advanced techniques of Snake and the many possible options Snake can do with his tools.

Table of contents::
A.ADVANCED TECHNIQUES:
I. Snakedashing
II. Glide tossing
III. B-reversal (Nade)
IV. Bair platform drop cancel
V. Grenade strip
VI. Smooth aim
VII. Pivot grab
VIII. Drowning
IX. Insta-throw
X. B-reversal (Mine)
XI. C4 Fakeout
XII.C4 platform jump cancel
XIII. C4 recovery
XIV. Grenade stance shield land
XV. In depth D-throw
XVI. Grenade tactics
XVII. What the heck?
XVIII. Foxtrot
B.COMBINATIONS:
I. Nade approaching D-throw style
II. Judo combo--ish

ADVANCED TECHNIQUES:

I. Snakedashing:
Snakedashing is an important AT to know. It supports Snake's speed and makes a good pressure technique. It's also a DACUS/Boost-smash and it's the best DACUS for stage-control.
How to do it:
Initiate a dash then while dashing, flick down the C-stick then right away click Z at the same time flick the analog stick upwards.

Effect:
Snake will slide doing the animation of his Up-smash at a long distance

II. Glide tossing
Snake can glidetoss though it's not as amazing as the glidetoss of Diddy and ROB but still has some uses.
How to do it:
Pull out a nade then shield drop it. Get it (Click A) Initiate any roll while holding an item, then throw the item before the roll animation begins. You can use the C-stick to throw the item in any of the four directions instead of just pressing A for a forward throw.

Effect:
Snake will glide at a short-medium distance while throwing a nade

III. B-reversal
B-reversals are important to know about. It can change and give momentum to Snake's air speed. I don't know much about it anyway but it's useful
How to do it:
Pull out a nade while airborne while taping/smashing the analog stick at the back of Snake

Effect:
Snake will pull out a nade, face his back and shift a short distance

IV. Bair platform drop cancel
This move is not used much though but it's pretty useful anyway
How to do it:
While on a platform, flick down the analog stick at the same time flick the C-stick backwards

Effect:
Snake will stay on the platform doing b-air's landing animation though it damages still

Credit: SMO

V. Grenade strip
Possibly the AT that a beginner Snake should know asides from DACUS.
How to do it:
Throw a nade then pull out another nade then shield drop the nade your holding

Effect:
The nade that was thrown will stop travelling. When an enemy catches the thrown nade, the nade will be disarmed from him

VI. Smooth Aim
How to do it:
rapidly flick the cstick up or down to control the nikita smoothly

Effect:
Nikita will travel smoothly

Credit: Mofo

VII. Pivot grabbing
One of Snake's helpers on his tech chase phase (I think)
How to do it:
Dash then flick the analog stick on Snake's back then click Z

Effect:
Snake's grab range increases

VIII. Drowning
This only works at DP. It's suppose to drown the opponent (duh)
How to do it:
d-throw some characters into the water and then grab them when land in the water

Effect:
You'll start an infinite chain grab

IX. Insta-throw
It seems the same but it's not the same with normal throwing
How to do it:
Shield drop a nade, Short hop then air dodge while quickly flicking the C-stick at any directions

Effect:
The throw animation of Snake will be more flashy

Credit: rofljont

X. B-reversal (Mine)
The same as a B-reversal with nade
How to do it:
Put out a mine while airborne while taping/smashing the analog stick at the back of Snake

Effect:
Snake will pull out a mine, face his back and shift a short distance

XI. C4 fake out
Some fake thing with this thing -_-
How to do it:
Just before you land do C4, it will make the sound of snake dropping a C4 but its not really

Effect:
Snake won't even put a C4

XII. C4 Platform Jump cancel
How to do it:
When you jump onto a platform, you can immediately cancel into a C4 placement

Effect:
You won't jump, you'll put a C4

XIII. C4 recovery/ bomb jump
You better know how to do this dude.
How to do it:
When you can't use your cypher (you're airborne) you put out mine detonate it

Effect:
You blow yourself up and do your recovery again. Becareful if under a ceiling, tech dude.

XIV. Grenade stance shield land
How to do it:
When in the air do grenade stance and hold shield, when you land snake will pull out his shield faster and can even perfect shield his own landmine

Effect:
Grenade and landmine will explode while your unharmed

XV. In-depth D-throw
This helps very well especially when tech chasing
How to do it:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=235804

XVI. Grenade tactics
An awesome thing X3
How to do it:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=251311

XVII. What the heck?
I heard this move is really helpful though I've never done it
How to do it:
Pull out a nade shield drop it get it jump in mid-air click B or do a B-reversal

Effect:
The other nade drops to explode while the other nade depends on your throwt

XIX. Instant grenade catch
I don't know what the AT is called:
How to do it:
Very lightly press down and shield at the same time

Effect:
Snake will get the grenade but it's more unpredictable and faster but if not those 2, lagless

XX. Forward nade boost
Good for tricks and mindgames/looking cool or use it as an approach to stance grab or nade counter
How to do it:
Jump backwards then immidiately press B + forward as if you were doing a reversal

Effect:
Good for tricks and mindgames/looking cool or use it as an approach to stance grab or nade counter

There's more coming.......

What you can do to help this thread?
Submit and contribute ATs and options

mofo_

Smash Ace
add Universal AT's, those that are good for snake are :
ADCIT Airdodge cancelled item throw/insta-throw > press airdodge + cstick to instantly catch and throw and item
Pivot Grabs
there are probably others

Grenade AT's :
Forced throw (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=230342)
Grenade stance shield land > when in the air do grenade stance and hold shield, when you land snake will pull out his shield faster and can even perfect shield his own landmine, you can also do this in conjunction w/ shield platform drop.

Nikita :
Smooth Aim : rapidly flick the cstick up or down to control the nikita smoothly
Water Cancel : shoot nikita then land in the water, nikita will continue on its epic journey

C4 :
b- reversal : same as grenade reversal but less distance and somewhat harder to pull off (IMO)
C4 fakeout : just before you land do C4, it will make the sound of snake dropping a c4 but its not rly there lol
C4 Platform Jump cancel : sometimes when you jump onto a platform, you can immediately cancel into a c4 placement ( happens alot to me on SV )
C4 recovery : cmon you know this one

Grabs
Pivot grabs
Boost Grab : its like dacus but you dont press up
Grab release : snake can force air release on every1 so he can chaingrab some people mostly w/ boost grab. if you do it on the platform of SV you may not need to boost grab
Drowning : in delfino plaza, on the island w/no green pipe you can infinite downthrow some characters into the water and then grab them when land in the water, doesnt work w/ floaty or small characters.

those are some advanced techniques i can think of

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
About instant throwing, it's not just to make throwing flashy. It's actually extremely helpful.

It can be done to any item at any time, really. If somebody throws your nade at you, you can instant throw it right back at them. Instant throwing basically skips all the time you need to pick an item up. It makes item control a lot easier. Diddy uses this tech all the time on his bananas.

There's a thread with a lot of applications for it.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=249128

It's a pretty underrated thing for Snake, I think.

Something not shown in that video though, is instant throwing nades off platforms. On Battlefield, your nades get caught on the platforms a lot. You can easily move them by jumping and instant throwing them wherever you want. It's a lot faster than jumping up to pick it up normally, or airdodging to grab it.

Also, there's a tech called z-catching that lets you pick up items in the air just by tapping z. You'll laglessly pick up the item. It's like picking up an item with an aerial, except without the aerial.

Like in the above situation where you have a nade on a platform you want to move, instead of instant throwing it, you could jump and z-catch it to grab it and do whatever you want with it.

Both of those techs make grenade control easier, and since you only have a few seconds to mess with a nade, anything that moves it faster is helpful.

Thanks for the tips but why don't give some options/combos and that's the effect though I think I should put some applications

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Instant throwing and z-catching aren't for combos. They're just techs that help you control grenades and other items that end up on the field.

You kind of have to learn from experience when they'll actually be helpful to you.

I know there techs but I think since you can do a lot of options with nades, you should give combos

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Any "combos" that could be done would be the same as any other time they get blown up by a grenade. But seeing how there is no hitstun, you can't really do much anyway.

mofo_

Smash Ace
options for grenades : spam them, cook them, bounce em around lol

instant grenade catch only works on platforms btw

ErikG

Smash Ace
About the drowning one... I believe that works whenever you D-throw them over any edge.
It can be done on any stage.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
uhg, wall of text, I feel like for some of the stuff in the OP you should just link to the original thread, that way theres less stuff on it.

Yumewomiteru said:
uhg, wall of text, I feel like for some of the stuff in the OP you should just link to the original thread, that way theres less stuff on it.
I'll do that when I have the time to

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
Holding a nade then pulling out another one to make it drop is a very effective method 4 camping.

Also Sh B reversals are awesome 2.

mofo_

Smash Ace
forward nade boost:
jump backwards then immidiately press B + forward as if you were doing a reversal, snake will boost forward. for more distance hold Y. good for tricks and mindgames/looking cool or use it as an approach to stance grab or nade counter

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
forward nade boost:
jump backwards then immidiately press B + forward as if you were doing a reversal, snake will boost forward. for more distance hold Y. good for tricks and mindgames/looking cool or use it as an approach to stance grab or nade counter
You can do this from a ledge release too, its a good way to mixup how you get back onto the stage.

Uhhhh, I'm getting confused. What's Down B and what's Down smash? Is C4 D-smash or D-special? Should we give names to stop the confusion O_o

Limeee

Smash Champion
ugh, please don't use blue and purple D:

its very hard to read

EDIT: and berk, let a more advanced player make a topic.

cuz this one is very unprofessional and alot of it doesn't make sense without a video and whatnot

That's the point why we'll let the thread get locked. Or you can just not post here in this thread so it will get outdated

rchau

Smash Cadet
can someone explain how the instant grenade catch works? or how to do it? susa mentions it in his grenade video, but doesn't explicate on it, and he says he has another video on how to insta throw, but that's not the same.

Limeee

Smash Champion
berk is spamming our boards D:

and rchau i'm guessing your talking about the one where you insta throw (where you hop) right?

if so:

1.Grenade shield drop
2.jump
3. airdodge and quickly press c stick in a direction

thats how you do it out of pulling a grenade on the ground

or you can just do step 3 if your grenade is on a platform or whatever

I am not spamming our boards, please stop posting here and I'm not spamming.

NO ONE POSTS AFTER HERE

Top Bottom