• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Nitpick Thread

Toledo Jones

Smash Cadet
as of yet, no Skyward Sword costume for Zelda. sick of looking at her TP design. I want the more whimsical Zelda Sakurai.

D

Deleted Member

:4charizard:'s model seems rather low poly save for the head, neck, wings (which seem to be fine). Oddly, Mega Charizard X's model doesn't seem to have this problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
For the record, I don't particularly care about gender or race in Smash Bros. I just think that Female Robin saving Lucina would have been a bit cooler. Also, girl Robin's voice sounds way cooler than male Robin's.
Female Robin's voice is super nice, but I like them both. David Vincent has a great timbre. I love how he says "Time to tip the scales!"

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
Female Robin's voice is super nice, but I like them both. David Vincent has a great timbre. I love how he says "Time to tip the scales!"
I am glad that the female voice is good, but I think I would have played it anyways. I generally prefer female characters over male characters in most games.

.Alone

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheRawkHawk
Captain Falcon's face looks different..in a slightly worse way. It's not terrible by any means, and I can't even put my finger on it, but it just looks odd.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Captain Falcon's face looks different..in a slightly worse way. It's not terrible by any means, and I can't even put my finger on it, but it just looks odd.
It's the teeth.

I am glad that the female voice is good, but I think I would have played it anyways. I generally prefer female characters over male characters in most games.
Why do you think that's the case?

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
I'm really bothered with people making Robin's Final Smash (PairUp with Chrom) look less awesome and more of humiliating than it is. Sakurai could have really used to portray Chrom as a Final Smash perhaps with more dignity to the character instead of rushing it just to the end of the trailer - heck, could have just altered the trailer's script with the to show the surprise in an actual cutscene motion.

Captain Falcon getting sucker punched by Chrom through Robin's aid and getting wrecked after being shown as something close to an ultimatum of a Smash Bros-fighter would have made more satisfying ending that makes sense to the game instead of the rather fandom-pandering and mean-spirited loser ending. It's not making me take Robin's FS and Chrom's fate in Smash Bros positively at all.
I can kind of see your point but I'd rather the trailers contain more gameplay footage, especially since the cutscenes are only for promotional purposes. No matter how cool a cutscene looks it doesn't "make more sense to the game" than...something that's actually in the game.

Also I think you're taking it a little personally that your favorite character got beat up in a completely non-canon trailer.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I can kind of see your point but I'd rather the trailers contain more gameplay footage, especially since the cutscenes are only for promotional purposes. No matter how cool a cutscene looks it doesn't "make more sense to the game" than...something that's actually in the game.
I more of meant that they would have done something like an cutscene version for Robin's FS and then later feature it through POTD to look more indepth to it. It would have in general, left better impact and impression of Chrom on Smash's fanbase currently (instead of what we're getting now).

Jaden

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jadenthemerle
3DS FC
2664-2123-0479
Whoever's working the costumes failed to get shiny Greninja right. It's possible they made the alt before Game Freak had even decided what shiny Greninja would look like, but even so, they should've been able to at least change it to be accurate once Game Freak made up their minds.

Hallowe'en

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
Whoever's working the costumes failed to get shiny Greninja right. It's possible they made the alt before Game Freak had even decided what shiny Greninja would look like, but even so, they should've been able to at least change it to be accurate once Game Freak made up their minds.

If you're trying to pretend that Hallowe'en isn't an acceptable spelling for the day...then you're flat out wrong. Sorry but not sorry, lol.

Maybe you should have done some research before the snarky reply.

Last edited:

Jaden

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jadenthemerle
3DS FC
2664-2123-0479
If you're trying to pretend that Hallowe'en isn't an acceptable spelling for the day...then you're flat out wrong. Sorry but not sorry, lol.

Maybe you should have done some research before the snarky reply.
No snark implied, I just thought the video was funny and reading "Hallowe'en" reminded me of it.

As for an on-topic nitpick, the CSS box backgrounds are all orange. I was hoping they'd match each character's background color from the website. The 3DS version got it, not sure why the Wii U version didn't.

R0Y

Smash Master
No snark implied, I just thought the video was funny and reading "Hallowe'en" reminded me of it.

As for an on-topic nitpick, the CSS box backgrounds are all orange. I was hoping they'd match each character's background color from the website. The 3DS version got it, not sure why the Wii U version didn't.
Oh, my bad.

Well, it's kind of an orange cream colour that moves, pretty interesting imo but I can see why some don't like it.

Ignoth

Smash Cadet
as of yet, no Skyward Sword costume for Zelda. sick of looking at her TP design. I want the more whimsical Zelda Sakurai.
I kinda agree, though I'm thinking there might be a practical reason for this. Namely, that the dull, drab TP design ironically lets her stand out from the other blonde ladies in the cast . Her SS iteration might, in theory, make her look too similar to ZSS or Peach for newbies.

...Sakurai could have really used to portray Chrom as a Final Smash perhaps with more dignity to the character instead of rushing it just to the end of the trailer...
I too, am irked at how the trailer made Chrom a memetic butt-monkey. I loved it initially, with its jab towards the Gematsu leak, but looking back, I'm a little sad that Chrom will almost never be taken seriously ever again.

I agree with the fact that Nintendo is doing better than many of its contemporaries as a whole, but at the same time Super Princess Peach happened. Nintendo is a large company, and without anyone going out of their way to enforce an overall vision you're going to get a diversity of opinions, some more progressive than others. I guess it's just random what you'll get from them, which is why I don't expect it. They've done both good things and bad things over the years, which is a big improvement over those who have only done strictly bad things.
Yeah, that assessment seem pretty accurate to me. Though I do recall reading somewhere that some Nintendo marketing survey thingy revealed to Nintendo execs that their fanbase prefers strong and active female characters to passive ones. So it might not be completely random. For what it's worth, I do feel like Nintendo is on the right track. As err...questionable as Super Princess Peach was, its existence as a concept is still nice right? (silver linings :/ ).

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Haha. I like how they've pretty much glossed over that game since. It was a terrible game anyways, I sold it as fast as I sold The Legendary Starfy.

I never took Chrom very seriously anyways, to me he was just the generic blue-haired hero of Awakening. I liked how he had some personality, and his voice acting was good, but Ike will always be my boy, and Chrom pales in comparison.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Why do you think that's the case?
For me, because I have an obsession with Action Girl types. In Robin's particular case, I like the way default female Robin says "Predictable!" when she Dual Guards, and Female Tactician has a far cooler critical hit animation with a sword than the Male Tactician.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I know I nitpick about renders a lot, but Meta Knights look like they just cut him out of an in-game screenshot, he doesn't really have a defining pose, heck he doesn't even look at the camera.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

I dislike their marketing strategy this time around.

I understand the concept of reveals and building hype and the maneuvering act of keeping the hype levels up as week after week goes by but the secrecy behind some of the important things like veteran/returning characters I find to be a bit...not appropriate. You'd think a fully revealed roster would create more hype because you know who's going to be in, and thus more people are excited. A hidden roster just seems a bit pompous, like "You don't even know who's in it, hell we might have cut your favorite character, but you'll still buy it!".

It just makes the waiting period more frustrating rather than hype building IMO. They should hype on features, not characters (unless it's a newcomer).

samsparta21

Smash Ace
I really don't mind who is in the game and who isn't, I choose my characters based on their play style. While I can get hype about characters like Mega Man, if he plays like arse I won't play him. I had literally never played a Zelda game before when I started playing Link (of course then I started playing Zelda games and now it's my favourite game series).

Which brings me to my nitpick, clones are still in. I like the diversity of characters and their movesets, and when some of the characters are just copies of other characters with small changes, it just feels like a waste of a slot. Like they could put a purple space dragon in there instead of another Fox clone.
dammit where's my Ridley

Last edited:

StriCNYN3

Smash Journeyman
I friggin hate Samus's pose. She looks like she's playing that "don't touch the hot lava" game kids play on floor tiles at JC Penny or some **** like that. Just out of character. All it does is remind me of

And uuuh... where the hell is Lucario?

It can't just be me right? I see Kirby, Pit and an Fire Emblem character in almost every Smash 4 related news yet I can't even remember the last time Lucario was even shown other than the E3 demonstration.

Last edited:

Toledo Jones

Smash Cadet
SS Zelda is my favourite too but I wouldn't want to piss TP Zelda off.

I must admit, her being sleeveless really lights a Din's fire in me. & plus how much she reminds me of Lisa Lisa from JoJo. I can't complain as she's one of my favorite characters & her TP design will help in my nonsensical JoJo matches filled with pause posing.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Zelda looks freaking gorgeous and I love her outfit, but the fact that her necklace just stays there without any chains or lace just bothers me. I know I won't mind it in-game, but you'd think they'd put that on her especially since it was in her official Brawl render.

Last edited:

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
Lucina's eyes are too small.
That reminds me... I think my biggest nitpick about the game is that Lucina exists. Lucina, from what I've heard, is literally marth with a different sweetspot on the moves. And then he says that he didnt feel he should add Chrom because it would just be another sword user... What?
Exact quote is "At the end of the day, Chrom would just end up being another plain-old sword-wielder like Marth and Ike. Compared with other characters, he lacks any unique characteristics."
Yeh because an exact copy is so much better.

Btw just reread the first post and this isn't meant to be character bashing. The thing that bugs me is they say one character would just be another sword user and then include an exact copy

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
That reminds me... I think my biggest nitpick about the game is that Lucina exists. Lucina, from what I've heard, is literally marth with a different sweetspot on the moves. And then he says that he didnt feel he should add Chrom because it would just be another sword user... What?
Exact quote is "At the end of the day, Chrom would just end up being another plain-old sword-wielder like Marth and Ike. Compared with other characters, he lacks any unique characteristics."
He was refering to choosing robin over chrom with that quote, lucina was originally intended to be a an alt for marth but was given her own slot

The Curious Volnutt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theOmni1337

Btw just reread the first post and this isn't meant to be character bashing. The thing that bugs me is they say one character would just be another sword user and then include an exact copy
Lucina is just frosting on the Robin cake, she didn't take Chrom's place.

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
He was refering to choosing robin over chrom with that quote, lucina was originally intended to be a an alt for marth but was given her own slot
I suppoooooooose that makes sense.
Lucina is just frosting on the Robin cake, she didn't take Chrom's place.
I'm not a fan of chrom (Never played any fire emblem, so not really a fan of any of those characters. Though robin seems like he'll be cool) it was just the flaws in reasoning that bug me. Like how he said that mii's wouldn't be allowed online because of bullying.

Last edited:

KirbyOnly

Smash Rookie
I'm not a fan of chrom (Never played any fire emblem, so not really a fan of any of those characters. Though robin seems like he'll be cool) it was just the flaws in reasoning that bug me. Like how he said that mii's wouldn't be allowed online because of bullying.
I knew miis wouldn't be allowed online, but I didn't know it would be because of bullying. I really wish they could be taken online. I have a lot of offensive miis I want to beat people with...

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
I guess to make up for Miis being unplayable in online mode they made them the new Multi Man Smash enemies. Oddly enough, though, they all wear black bodysuits. Not really a nitpick, I just thought bid bring it up because the Miis are cool.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Lucina's eyes are too small.
Lucina has comparatively small, slightly squinty eyes in Awakening too, though.

I guess to make up for Miis being unplayable in online mode they made them the new Multi Man Smash enemies. Oddly enough, though, they all wear black bodysuits. Not really a nitpick, I just thought bid bring it up because the Miis are cool.
They wear black bodysuits because they're Ninja Miis!

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I know I nitpick about renders a lot, but Meta Knights look like they just cut him out of an in-game screenshot, he doesn't really have a defining pose, heck he doesn't even look at the camera.
Meta Knight is just too cool to look at the camera. He's like a 90s-era teen dream, an emo anime character, or the album cover for an alternative rock band.

No but I actually agree. One particular nitpick of mine is that I liked his Brawl render's pose more than his new one. I feel like the cape is a more "neutral" accessory than the wings, and I think it should be shown in his default artwork. I also like how the Brawl render has him looking straight forward. Looks intimidating and pretty wicked. At least he didn't get a render as bad as Luigi's, though...

Last edited:

Ignoth

Smash Cadet
Haha. I like how they've pretty much glossed over that game since. It was a terrible game anyways, I sold it as fast as I sold The Legendary Starfy.
Are you talking about Skyward Sword? It doesn't look like Smash is glossing over it if you ask me. We got Skyloft and and an alt costume for link. Plenty of other references in terms of items and trophies as well. That's pretty much all the representation I expected. (btw, In my opinion SS has its problems but it's solid and far from terrible, but that's another discussion :D).

...Hopefully you were talking about SS, cuz otherwise I just made a complete fool of myself

Last edited:
Top Bottom