• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Tier List

SSBPete

Smash Lord
So what was the problem with my app? That it was terrible? I did kind of admit that a while ago when I first submitted it- and gave my johns about it.

OH WELL it's probably better this way now I can HATE on the BR without being a hypocrite.

Enjoying all that matchup wisdom that I don't have access to, douchebags?
lets start our own room

Battlecow

Play to Win
Pssssssh yo I answered all of the new questions in the ADDENDUM did you guys read that oh you did and it was still a piss poor effort well SORRY I guess next time I'm doing an app in the business center of a holiday inn with old dudes lookin like they're gonna molest me if I use their computer for frivolous pursuits anymore it'll have more POLISH

I mad

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Dont care so much Bcow, i think the backroom is pretty much useless anyway. For me would be more useful to use the backroom as a tool to make more people play this game, to make it more popular, instead of only focussing on the competitive/technical department, where we know so much already.

DMoogle

A$
For me would be more useful to use the backroom as a tool to make more people play this game, to make it more popular, instead of only focussing on the competitive/technical department, where we know so much already.
Everyone can help to make it more popular. The Backroom focuses on the competitive/technical department to filter out noise. There would be zero reason for the exclusivity based on experience, knowledge, and playing ability, if the backroom just worked on how to make the game more popular.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Everyone can help to make it more popular. The Backroom focuses on the competitive/technical department to filter out noise. There would be zero reason for the exclusivity based on experience, knowledge, and playing ability, if the backroom just worked on how to make the game more popular.
Thats why i said the backroom is not useful. I think we need to work moreon preventing this game from dying (and increasing the popularity), rather than more competitive/technical imput, in which we have a lot of stuff already. Another kind of backroom for this could be done. It is obvious that the scene in 2011 is tiny and poor compared to the good old days.
But you like the scenario of "the backroom elite makes the rules, everyone else does the hard job of bringing people into this game" ??? this is dumb

DMoogle

A$
Thats why i said the backroom is not useful. I think we need to work moreon preventing this game from dying (and increasing the popularity), rather than more competitive/technical imput, in which we have a lot of stuff already. Another kind of backroom for this could be done. It is obvious that the scene in 2011 is tiny and poor compared to the good old days.
Why does creating strategies to increase the popularity of the game need a backroom at all? To filter out the people who know nothing about marketing and promotion? How would we determine that?
But you like the scenario
You're putting words into my mouth. I never said I like the idea of a backroom at all. I've been mostly against it from the start.
of "the backroom elite makes the rules, everyone else
Again, you're putting words into my mouth. When did I say everyone else? I said "everyone." That is, those who have BR access and those that do not.
does the hard job of bringing people into this game" ??? this is dumb
Why is it dumb?

EDIT: To re-emphasize, the point of the backroom, IMO, is to filter out the noise from the less-knowledgeable. I personally don't think the Smash 64 forums have enough noise to warrant a backroom, but that's just me (it seems much more suited for Melee and especially Brawl). It sounds like what you're looking for is some kind of marketing committee. It's a good idea, but there's no reason for it to be in a backroom.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Ok then, so we actually kinda agree... But cmon lol there's no need for people with a marketing degree

Edit: Why not a backroom for this? It can "filter the noise" aswell...

Shibbypod

BIM
Slippi.gg
SHIB#55
I find this list to be pretty accurate, but the newbies in my region strongly disagree with Link and Luigi's placement. I am just getting them all to Z cancel and combo more fluidly, and it is a long road of improvement ahead, but things are looking good. I told them that even if they don't believe in tier lists, to be aware of where their characters are on the list and what their matchups look like. We have a weak smash scene here in UP Michigan, but let me tell you we are still alive.

Shibbypod

BIM
Slippi.gg
SHIB#55
Just wreck 'em with Pika for a while and they'll see the light.
haha the problem is that my own metagame is far above theirs, but still far below what a lot of you guys are capable of, so my link (which is my 2nd) is about as good as my pika. Simply because he is played far more often than pikachu, however I can just pick up pika and win pretty much any match without having played with him in weeks. I am a Kirby main, and usually can barely get touched in matches against them. I think they do get the idea though. When they ask me who to main, I said well, look at the tier list, accept it as the truth, and then choose a character wisely. If you disregard the tier list and pick samus as your main, then more power to you! However, don't expect to win much especially while just learning the metagame and getting everything under your fingers. Especially not against me ;)

I'd really like to start playing online.... It isn't an option for me yet. Maybe I'll eventually get my recording software up and running and be able to get some feedback on my play.

DMoogle

A$
I find this list to be pretty accurate, but the newbies in my region strongly disagree with Link and Luigi's placement. I am just getting them all to Z cancel and combo more fluidly, and it is a long road of improvement ahead, but things are looking good. I told them that even if they don't believe in tier lists, to be aware of where their characters are on the list and what their matchups look like. We have a weak smash scene here in UP Michigan, but let me tell you we are still alive.
The tier list was created to represent how "good" characters are a specific level of play. As the level of play deviates from that of which the list was based on, the list becomes less and less accurate.

Shibbypod

BIM
Slippi.gg
SHIB#55
Thanks DMoogle, for pointing out the obvious XD

I've been around the smash community for a very long time, so I familiar with the way the tier list works. As for my game, it is not godly or anything but I read everything on these boards and try to work everything into my game, as many or most of you do too. Trust me I have mad respect for all the work the br put into the list.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
At low levels Link is rather good because he has projectiles and spin attack, as well as strong forward and back smashes. People think ranged grabs are broken at lower levels too, especially if they stand there shielding to stop projectiles.

I'm sure the reasoning for Luigi is 'zomg look at his Up-B it's tremendously powerful, I bet pros can land that move all the time so Luigi must be god tier right?'...and Jiggs is ignored because they either don't know about Rest or think she is too easily killed due to her weight.

Let them think what they want to think, when (if) they get a fair bit better it'll dawn on them that what they previously thought might not be correct.

Also, this isn't a backroom produced list lol...

Shibbypod

BIM
Slippi.gg
SHIB#55
Got ya, asianaussie. I must have been confused.

Yeah I definitely do like Links projectile spam, but that grab is a deal breaker, if the up-b recovery wasn't already one.

In any given night I'll try to play every character at least once. When you really enjoy the game, you realize that playing with every character can be pretty rewarding.

Rath

Smash Rookie
Man, no love for Luigi on this list? Can someone explain why Mario is so thoroughly higher ranked?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Q: Luigi and Mario are the same, but Luigi's Up-B is better! Why are they so far apart on the tier list?

A: Simple answer? They aren't the same. Mario has better horizontal air speed, contributing to a better approach. His short hop is low enough to make all of his aerials effective when used at the peak, and therefore the Mario brothers' short hop double aerial is more effective with him. His recovery is also far better - he can use the tornado from afar to get height, then send a screen of fireballs down. Luigi's fireballs are markedly inferior, being slow and of an inferior trajectory. Mario's Up-B is far superior for recovery, giving a large, constant hitbox and decent hitstun at the end, so even if you land on the stage it's not incredibly punishable (if the opponent is at high percents). Luigi's Up-B cannot be used to hit the opponent in recovery. While it's true that Luigi's zero-death combos are far easier to finish once they've started, Mario has plenty going for him that Luigi can only dream of, and as such he is simply a better character overall.
i think this is the first time I've ever quoted a FAQ from the index lol

Sangoku

Smash Master
Lol you should just remove the index and answer specifically each time someone asks. You can make them think you're that fountain of knowledge everybody knows you are
not.

TJ.

Smash Cadet
haha the problem is that my own metagame is far above theirs, but still far below what a lot of you guys are capable of, so my link (which is my 2nd) is about as good as my pika. Simply because he is played far more often than pikachu, however I can just pick up pika and win pretty much any match without having played with him in weeks. I am a Kirby main, and usually can barely get touched in matches against them. I think they do get the idea though. When they ask me who to main, I said well, look at the tier list, accept it as the truth, and then choose a character wisely. If you disregard the tier list and pick samus as your main, then more power to you! However, don't expect to win much especially while just learning the metagame and getting everything under your fingers. Especially not against me ;)

I'd really like to start playing online.... It isn't an option for me yet. Maybe I'll eventually get my recording software up and running and be able to get some feedback on my play.
You should give them the kirby. They will hate you.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Man, no love for Luigi on this list? Can someone explain why Mario is so thoroughly higher ranked?
mario has a much better approach due to a lower short hop and quicker aerials. U-smash kills just as quick as Luigi'sup b with less effort. Mario's u-air is very easy to combo with. Mario has one of the best gimping games in smash 64 due to easy grab setups. Fireball is much better for Mario than Luigi due to its better trajectory. Mario has more priority with virtually all of his moves (outside of Up B and Down b for guessable reasons.)

It is also much easier to Smash DI Luigi's d-air compared to Mario so one of Luigi's main kill setups doesn't work nearly as well.

Mario also happens to be one of the few characters to have pretty even matchups with Pikachu, Fox, and Falcon (and in my opinion) possibly the only winning matchup vs Kirby outside of Pikachu (and possibly Fox on Hyrule.)

Basically:

Recovery: Luigi can go higher but Mario has more priority. Either way.
Priority: Mario by far as said
Approach: Mario>Luigi due to Luigi's floaty short hops and Priority.
Kills: Luigi kills quicker but has issues setting up due to Smash DI. Mario has much less of an issue due to a better d-air and a ridiculous u-smash. Mario's d-air is much harder to DI. Mario>Luigi here.
Gimp ability: Mario (probably the best gimper outside of Pikachu and Kirby.) Mario>Luigi here as well.

Battlecow

Play to Win
^ I disagree with large bits of that. Their Usmashes have identical KB AFAIK, although Mario's is easier to set up. Weegee's Up-B kills a fair bit quicker than Luigi/Mario's Usmash in most situations. Mario's recovery is a LOT better than weegee's- weegee's range does not make up for his relative gimpability, whereas Mario has great range as well and is really hard to gimp (2nd best in the game by most accounts). I don't think Mario's aerials are quicker, and IDK what you mean by "Priority" in this context, but most of their A-moves' hitboxes are nearly identical.

Mario's far better because his recovery pwns luigi's, he has better, safer combos, fantastic gimps, better air speed, a lower short hop, etc.

Just play good marios and you'll realize how good he is compared to weegee.

Top Bottom