• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Tier List

DMoogle

A$
1- Do a reversed second jump
When you're knocked away, 90% of the time you're facing the ledge. Unless you're talking about something else?
2- Wait for your opponent to try to hit you when being off the stage and try to spike him if he does.
Good opponents will position themselves to make impossible unless they make a mistake.
3- Do a down angled up+b, and you have 2 options: the first one and normal one is to go directly to the floor, and you'll have no landing lag. The second one is to do an angled up+b recovery like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x8AYnyGQhE
For #1 the problem is the start up time for Ness' up-b. Most characters are fast enough to hit him and interrupt it before he finishes. #2 is better for mind games, because it's still easily interceptable as Ness' spends a good amount of time out in the open once he slides up and isn't touching the wall anymore. Plus the fact that it's dangerous to perform; you might hit Ness into the wall and have him. However if you perform it correctly and your opponent isn't expecting it then he may mess up and miss his opportunity.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
When you're knocked away, 90% of the time you're facing the ledge. Unless you're talking about something else?
Ness Reversed second jump is when you jump while pressing back with the stick. From my exp, its better when recovering. Makes you harder to hit and puts you in a safer position while having similar range

Superstar

Smash Champion
You didn't counter my argument Nixxon. All you did was reuse your claim. And so, I'll reclaim the argument you haven't successfully refuted: While Ness is able to take more shots recovering that Link, in situations where both Ness and Link can recover, Link will make it back, Ness won't. Ness won't ever make it back unless the edgeguarder makes a mistake, and the chance of that decreases the better you two get.

And if by the above you mean space in the air, well, OBVIOUSLY you don't lunge for the edgeguarder. No one does, but it doesn't change anything. You still get edgeguarded.

And if you want to bull**** me with more false ethos, I haven't changed my main icon. I main Ness.

firo

Smash Ace
You didn't counter my argument Nixxon. All you did was reuse your claim. And so, I'll reclaim the argument you haven't successfully refuted: While Ness is able to take more shots recovering that Link, in situations where both Ness and Link can recover, Link will make it back, Ness won't. Ness won't ever make it back unless the edgeguarder makes a mistake, and the chance of that decreases the better you two get.

And if by the above you mean space in the air, well, OBVIOUSLY you don't lunge for the edgeguarder. No one does, but it doesn't change anything. You still get edgeguarded.

And if you want to bull**** me with more false ethos, I haven't changed my main icon. I main Ness.
Ness's recovery sucks, but saying that he will never make it back unless the edgeguarder makes a mistake I think is a bit extreme.

With Link, even though he may have some options and his up-b can prevent some edgeguards, I can't see him coming back too often in situations where he needs to up-b at a certain time just to reach the ledge or the stage. In these cases, it is easy to edgeguard link with a move that has a large forward hitbox (like pikachu's fsmash or Ness's dsmash)

In terms of vertical distance, Ness's double jump which is cancelled by a down-b at the end is just a tad less than Link's double jump and up-b, and Ness will snap to the edge.

There are strategies that a Ness player can do to make his recovery a bit more tricky to edgeguard. Starting very high up and doing a very long, falling up-b that either grabs the edge or lands somewhere on the stage is sometimes very hard to edgeguard and can be unpredictable. When landing from above, Ness has no ending lag to his up-b. Often, the Ness can position himself in a way that the edguarder will hit him back on to the stage.

Something also to consider is that Ness will have a better chance of recovering when he is edgeguarded near the ledge, as Link can regain little distance after he has DI'ed into the wall whereas Ness can continue to attempt to recover even at high percentages.

I feel that if both players play perfectly, there would be very few cases where the edguarding player would actually not be able to gimp the returning player regardless of the characters they used if grabbing the ledge was involved.

D

Deleted member

the opponent sometimes doesn't have enough time to disrupt Link's recovery

For ness they have 50 million years to prepare

Superstar

Smash Champion
Technically, you might be able to say this about EVERYONE. If not everyone, you certainly can with Link.
Well, true. Though it applies a bit more for Ness than a lot of characters.

This is also why Falcon's recovery, and some others are also terrible, and one of the reasons I've used for Ness' [or anyone's] recovery not being as big a deal as many people put it. Doesn't change the fact its still horrendous though.

Firo, that's not extreme. If Ness starts up high he has a chance maybe, but so does Link really. Even then Link has a better chance making it back than Ness, cause Ness is a blimp. Not to mention that in many situations, you can be edgeguarded even if you're using the second jump alone.

Hyesz

Smash Journeyman

My Main! Why Is Samus Teh Bottom?

Oh and I'm not quite getting the huge gap between Mazza and Weegee.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Compared to Mario, Luigi has a bad fireball, poor approach, poor aerial speed, too high of a short hop and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember. Mario is just a good character.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
What firo said.

We should p2p some day and do some Ness dittos Superstar.

@ Cheeseball: Luigi has poor horizontal speed but not poor vertical speed.

Aarosmashguy

Smash Ace
When I first saw this tier list I thought why is Ness so low and why is Mario so high. Then I watched isai's mario on youtube to prove me wrong. I guess I just played against bad people before with Ness so they don't ever edge guard me. I agree with the rest of the list though. Might start playing online once I get my controller working for it. Fox is just too fun.

blaze3927

Smash Ace
is there any chance of getting a tier list made up for other versions? and maybe a clear guide on the differences between ssb j, U, A, and E?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Australian = American.

Europe's has faster aerial movement for Link than American.

Japanese has a crapload of differences...the biggest ones are less DI and no slowdown for drills, I think. There are also awesome sound effects and Jiggs is called Purin (Poo-reen :D)

Mario is shorter, has a shorter Up-B, shorter dodge roll...oh, and his fireball stuns more and goes further.
Luigi has higher jumps, shorter dodge roll, throw KB reversed and similar change in fireball to Mario.
Link is super buff. His jumps and Up-B are better, and his bomb doesn't flinch until 100%. His boomerang goes further, and lots of moves have KB/damage buffs.
Yoshi has higher first jumps.
Kirby's F-Throw is super-awesome, it's like Jiggs' B-Throw. His dodge roll is longer and I think he got some damage buffs, but I can't be sure.
Fox's D-Smash is like his D-Tilt in trajectory. His Reflector is better at spiking and reflecting (I think). His Up-B gets invinci at some point...I forget exactly when.
Pika's F-Smash is less gay due to reduced hitbox.
Falcon is slower at running (yeah) and has better jumps/Up-B.
Ness's moves are buffed, his U-Tilt is even better for ultra-spam. His recovery is a bit better.
Jiggs has a smaller D-Smash and D-Tilt hitbox (check on this, I forget).
DK is basically unchanged in the moveset.

There's also a sliding dash tech that Fox, Kirby, Jiggs, Yoshi, Ness(?) and DK(?) can do. It's like a teleport from a dashing turn.

Not completely sure on all of this, mostly done from memory.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Australian = American.

Europe's has faster aerial movement for Link than American.

Japanese has a crapload of differences...the biggest ones are less DI and no slowdown for drills, I think. There are also awesome sound effects and Jiggs is called Purin (Poo-reen :D)

Mario is shorter, has a shorter Up-B, shorter dodge roll...oh, and his fireball stuns more and goes further.
Luigi has higher jumps, shorter dodge roll, throw KB reversed and similar change in fireball to Mario.
Link is super buff. His jumps and Up-B are better, and his bomb doesn't flinch until 100%. His boomerang goes further, and lots of moves have KB/damage buffs.
Yoshi has higher first jumps.
Kirby's F-Throw is super-awesome, it's like Jiggs' B-Throw. His dodge roll is longer and I think he got some damage buffs, but I can't be sure.
Fox's D-Smash is like his D-Tilt in trajectory. His Reflector is better at spiking and reflecting (I think). His Up-B gets invinci at some point...I forget exactly when.
Pika's F-Smash is less gay due to reduced hitbox.
Falcon is slower at running (yeah) and has better jumps/Up-B.
Ness's moves are buffed, his U-Tilt is even better for ultra-spam. His recovery is a bit better.
Jiggs has a smaller D-Smash and D-Tilt hitbox (check on this, I forget).
DK is basically unchanged in the moveset.

There's also a sliding dash tech that Fox, Kirby, Jiggs, Yoshi, Ness(?) and DK(?) can do. It's like a teleport from a dashing turn.

Not completely sure on all of this, mostly done from memory.
If im not mistaken, Australian = European, as both are in PAL version 50 MHz.
PAL and NTSC, just for the speed difference, are probably more different than American to Japanese.

PAL version in general requires less speed skill and much more precision and input accuracy. The hitboxes in general are a bit smaller. All the combos in general are harder to do due to the longer reaction time

dandan

Smash Lord
why are combos harder if you have more reaction time :confused:
it is just the opposite, you have less samples of the situation, so you could adapt less,
try putting a torrent on or something so you can play at 50 fps, and try to play.
it is managable but still much tougher to play well.

Frogles

Smash Ace
What firo said.

We should p2p some day and do some Ness dittos Superstar.

@ Cheeseball: Luigi has poor horizontal speed but not poor vertical speed.
firo didn't really say anything to help your argument (thats wrong btw).

and luigi has poor vertical speed due to him being a floaty. maybe you're talking about his jump height??

NixxxoN

Smash Master
firo didn't really say anything to help your argument (thats wrong btw).

and luigi has poor vertical speed due to him being a floaty. maybe you're talking about his jump height??
Firo basically explained better what im trying to say. Ness recovery is not 100% useless and Link recovery is 100% useless if he is thrown out at enough distance (not that much of a distance)

Luigi fastfall and jump/double jump height makes him certainly not that slow in vertical speed.

WOTG

Banned via Warnings
Doesn't Luigi have the slowest fastfall in the game?

The only reason why Link's recovery is so bad, is because of its lacking to carry distance.
Ness' recovery is very easily intercepted, and auto-fails if not done right.

D

Deleted member

Firo basically explained better what im trying to say. Ness recovery is not 100% useless and Link recovery is 100% useless if he is thrown out at enough distance (not that much of a distance)

Luigi fastfall and jump/double jump height makes him certainly not that slow in vertical speed.
why is this guy constantly on crack :(

Superstar

Smash Champion
it is just the opposite, you have less samples of the situation, so you could adapt less,
try putting a torrent on or something so you can play at 50 fps, and try to play.
it is managable but still much tougher to play well.
That's because of muscle memory and inconsistency. If the torrent for some freak reason made it 50FPS constant, and you always played with that, it'll be easier than the normal 60FPS.

Nixxon, since you choose to instead base your argument on Firo's, I'll dismantle it. It's wrong, but it was so long I didn't bother.

Ness's recovery sucks, but saying that he will never make it back unless the edgeguarder makes a mistake I think is a bit extreme.
It isn't. The vast majorty of times Ness makes it back is if the opponent gets hit in the face with PKT2, or the opponent whiffed. Even landing downwards, with its "0-lag" can be predicted and punished and happens so rarely anyways to even consider. It is a slight exaggeration though, Ness may make it back if he's recovering high and using only his second jump, but in those situations Link can make it back too and better.

With Link, even though he may have some options and his up-b can prevent some edgeguards, I can't see him coming back too often in situations where he needs to up-b at a certain time just to reach the ledge or the stage. In these cases, it is easy to edgeguard link with a move that has a large forward hitbox (like pikachu's fsmash or Ness's dsmash)
This gets into Ness is a blimp. You have a million years to prepare for him, but not for Link. Situations where you can do as you mentioned are not as common as those where you can do it to Ness.

Link's recovery is terrible, but that's not what we're argung.

In terms of vertical distance, Ness's double jump which is cancelled by a down-b at the end is just a tad less than Link's double jump and up-b, and Ness will snap to the edge.
I used to think that, but even then a bunch of characters can easily intercept this with a dtilt. I can tell after some matches with Fireblaster. The claim though that the time for Ness to cling is less than Link is wrong though, except in few situations where you are almost hugging the edge.

There are strategies that a Ness player can do to make his recovery a bit more tricky to edgeguard. Starting very high up and doing a very long, falling up-b that either grabs the edge or lands somewhere on the stage is sometimes very hard to edgeguard and can be unpredictable. When landing from above, Ness has no ending lag to his up-b.
Ness very rarely gets the chance to recover from above, only against certain characters maybe. If you're from above and PKT2ing to the stage you can be intercepted, and from below you can be edgehogged. In situations where you can land with no landing lag, you can be intercepted and usually you can recover with just your second jump anyways.

And unpredictable? Pfft. If you have to PKT2 as it looks like, its very likely your only option. In which case, all you have to do is position yourself in such a way so that no matter his direction you can intercept, and this is ridiculously easy to do.

Often, the Ness can position himself in a way that the edguarder will hit him back on to the stage.
That's called a mistake, and a very dumb one. Like I said, the vast majority of times Ness makes it back is due to a mistake.

Something also to consider is that Ness will have a better chance of recovering when he is edgeguarded near the ledge, as Link can regain little distance after he has DI'ed into the wall whereas Ness can continue to attempt to recover even at high percentages.
*Bloing*
*AHHH*

You haven't said anything new. The argument everyone is saying is that even though Ness gets more shots he won't make it back on most of his shots, but Link will. All you said here is that Ness gets more shots.

I feel that if both players play perfectly, there would be very few cases where the edguarding player would actually not be able to gimp the returning player regardless of the characters they used if grabbing the ledge was involved.
So, you mean if grabbing the ledge was involved most of the time the edgeguarder would win. You said the phrase "very few".

If by that you mean that there are many cases where characters can get back if they grab the ledge, remember the other argument. Ness has a weak ledge game, but Link has a very superior ledge game. Ness can get sent back out even if he's grabbed the ledge.

MattNF

Smash Lord

Stop posting.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Superstar said:
That's because of muscle memory and inconsistency. If the torrent for some freak reason made it 50FPS constant, and you always played with that, it'll be easier than the normal 60FPS.
Wrong. The 10 less FPS basically means that you have 10 frames less change of being accurate. The buttons react slower. the time from one attack to another is longer. It is just less fluid, therefore more difficult to do flashy combos, more difficult to DI, more difficult to do everything in general.

About the ness-link recovery discussion, its pointless to continue this. I invite anyone to do Ness dittos so we'll see what we can do with the recovery.... and someone to play with me as Link and see how brilliant Link's recovery is.

Most of people here speak about char properties as if they were matematic stuff... dumb

s2j/mattnf ... stop trolling.

SilentSlayers

Smash Journeyman
They aren't trolling, your posts are just ********.

And yes, it is pointless to continue the discussion about Ness vs Link recovery, because Superstar already proved Link's is better.

Edit: AND FFS, we're not saying Link's recovery is brilliant. Jeez man, you're ********.

Talking about things as if they're mathematical? Well, they were programmed at one point using numbers you know. : )

D

Deleted member

lol at accusing me of trolling

i just don't like when dumb people spread dumb information

Superstar

Smash Champion
Ness never makes it back and Link having a chance to make it back no matter what the opponent does is not mathematical. Its common sense.

Wrong? 10 less frames of being accurate? More like 10 less frames to react to. I don't think you realize exactly HOW frames work. Assuming Nintendo didn't try to compensate for the lesser frames in any way. If you want a better argument, 50hz is closer to being TAS (1hz about) than 60hz. And we all know what happens with TAS.

Also, if a lot of people better in the game than you are [not saying myself, I suck now] are saying you're wrong unanimously, you're probably wrong?

blaze3927

Smash Ace
hmm nixxon ill show you a ness on ness vid and how nesss' recovery fails, the ness thats in the air is ****ed by another ness even just using pk thunder, theres enough hitstun for them to do another one continously until you either are too far away to reach the edge or on the way up the PKT is weak enough to be spiked. watch the best ness on *** vs takamitsu, every time he gets off the edge he loses a stock no matter what percentage

D

Deleted member

tips on ****** ness's slow, pitiful recovery

look at the way ness is being hit by his sperm to know which way he is going to be hit, very obvious after you figure it out

if you think he might do the 2nd jump down-b edge grab, drop off like you are going to hit him, he will most likely up-air or down-air and now he will recover low and die

NixxxoN

Smash Master
yawn

What superstar said can be applied on any char. when doing perfect edgeguarding, no char will make it back ever
theres a thing called mindgames. thats what i said about the matematical thing. Its a lot about the player too.
And of couse i considered all options for both recoveries, and the very poor horizontal recovery of link IMO makes it the worst of all.

And @ superstar: Nice to see how you assume things that dont have a clue about. First of all, you assume that i dont know sh¡t about pal/ntsc version differences, when i've played both for years. Second, you asume that im a worse player than everyone that disagrees with me... wow, just wow.
S2J I've got way better things to do than spreading wrong information on forums, im just debating and expressing my opinion... If you say youre not trolling, then learn to debate?

Superstar

Smash Champion
^ Indeed.

Nixxon said:
yawn
What superstar said can be applied on any char. when doing perfect edgeguarding, no char will make it back ever
You're assuming 1frame reaction time and ultimate predictability. Assuming NORMAL (perfect) humans, Yoshi, Pikachu, Mario, and LINK all have a shot at making it back. Some others too perhaps. Some others no.

I still maintain recovery isn't the end all be all of a character's ability. If Ness had say, Pikachu's UpB, at best he'd go up maybe 2->3 spots. However, that's not the point.

Nixxon said:
theres a thing called mindgames. thats what i said about the matematical thing. Its a lot about the player too.
SuperBoom said:
>ness having mindgames offstage
This

Nixxon said:
And of couse i considered all options for both recoveries, and the very poor horizontal recovery of link IMO makes it the worst of all.
I detect claim repeat.

Nixxon said:
And @ superstar: Nice to see how you assume things that dont have a clue about. First of all, you assume that i dont know sh¡t about pal/ntsc version differences, when i've played both for years.
Your whole argument is ethos. Bad ones too. You still haven't addressed whether or not Nintendo attempted to compensate, the way you've described it, more time between frames means less reliance on the human reaction time. You still haven't debunked if its closer to TAS or not. And, I assume 600hz would be a lot more playable yes?

Given your reasons, I'll have to say you're wrong DESPITE playing both. Give better reasons.

Nixxon said:
Second, you asume that im a worse player than everyone that disagrees with me... wow, just wow.
MattNF, Fire, S2J, Boomfan, and Frogles I bet are all better than you. They also all say you're wrong.

Nixxon said:
S2J I've got way better things to do than spreading wrong information on forums, im just debating and expressing my opinion... If you say youre not trolling, then learn to debate?
Coming from the guy who just reposts his claim rather than debunk the debunk? They're being smarter than I am, I'm wasting my time.

GG no re?

dandan

Smash Lord
you think that would be the case, but i have played a long time on 50fps and when i switched to ntsc, with 60, i got much better fast, even though the muscle memory was of 50.

actually the timing on 60 fps is easier cause you have 10 more frames to enter input, that is why for example it is harder to do quick shines on pal versions, cause there is a bigger delay between jumping and shining. same goes for ness djc and so on.

hope i made it clear :)

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Let's talk about DK and Mario's recovery... They are beasts.

also unrelated but would Ness' recovery be a TINY bit better because of those hax invincible frames in dairantou smash bros?

Top Bottom