• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Tier List

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Luigi has good shield pressure
A floaty character with a high short hop with good shield pressure? What?

The reason why Luigi has a hard time approaching is due to his terrible short hop and his floatiness.

You can explain more, why do you think Luigi sucks?

Battlecow

Play to Win
SH-dair-uair-upB. That's a shieldbreak, guaranteed if you hit the dair. And he has bad "shield pressure"? Look man, shield pressure doesn't really exist in 64 in the way it does in melee. Luigi doesn't have to "pressure" shields because he can ****ing break them. Falcon doesn't "pressure" shields either- he hits them once and grabs. (a go-to tactic for most characters). Very rarely does any character do "shield pressure" in the sense that fox/falco in melee do.

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
The only characters that can do a real shield pressure re Ness. Yoshi and mario. Everyone else haves a better thing to do

The Star King

Smash Hero
I would say hitting their shield to cut down on their options so they're easier to read. Guaranteed shield breaks don't count because they're, well, guaranteed.

Battlecow

Play to Win
And weegee breaks shields better than most of the cast anyways, so no matter what definition you use, Koro's post is wrong in every respect.

Battlecow

Play to Win
He does. Doug can't break like him, pika can't break like him, DK can't break like him, Jiggs can't break like him, Link can't break like him, Fox at current levels of play that I've seen on video can't break like him. 6/11 >50%. But EVEN IF HE DIDN'T, is that really what makes him inferior?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
shield pressure in this game is just what star king said, limiting their options to a roll or jump derivatives (or dropping the shield, whatever)

this includes leading into grabs, breaking their shield, whatever

ballin4life

Smash Hero
shield pressure isn't about what you do after hitting someone's shield with a fast move like an aerial. no one shields those moves because it's dumb and you can follow up with auto grab/whatever

it's about what you do when you do a laggy move and it gets shielded. you can't always follow up perfectly, so you have to predict the options out of shield that your opponent has

Battlecow

Play to Win
I like how everyone has all these different ideas about what shield pressure "is" in 64, even though literally no one has ever used that phrase on the 64 boards before in reference to 64.

*sigh*

TANK64

Smash Lord
No, he just can't approach
^^this.
Freaking Approach! Approach! Approach!

Of course Luigi has great shield pressure- You just can't get in. Even if you're not set up for the break, say with dair (but you're not gonna get the uair out before you hit the ground), you can cancel into jab>grab. That's a char with a purdy gud shield pressure game, and breaks aren't synonymous with pressure but they're related. Depends if you mean chars that pressure you to throw your shield up, or chars with legitimate breaks/grabs that make you scared to shield. Char with breaks can usually do both... Luigi may be the only exception to the first part, so I see KoRoBeNiKi's point if that's what he's going by- as you could mostly likely not shield 9 out of 10 times, and just upsmash... pressure's gone. But that's why Luigi shouldn't just be spamming sh Dair!

shield pressure is what you feel when link holds Z and fox closes in
best definition EVER...

Battlecow

Play to Win
you say that like you understand exactly what shield pressure is

shield pressure is what you feel when link holds Z and fox closes in
This doesn't make any sense in the context of what I said. I pretty clearly stated that I didn't understand exactly what shield pressure was held to be in 64. I stand by that, because it's simply not a term we've ever used and it doesn't translate 1:1 from melee.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I use it all the time noob

Samus probably shield pressures the most, because she can't aerial into a grab/break the shield like everyone else can

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Is that confirmation that s2j was wrong about samus strong aerial>grab being possible? iirc in his video he said strong nair > grab was possible, you're saying otherwise so now I'm not sure.

cheeseball341

Smash Journeyman
Puff has every reason to shield pressure against characters he cant grab combo/are out of grab combo percent.

The only problem is instead of looking cool like falco's dair doubleshine fade away nair shield pressure, he pre much just ducks behind your shield in hope you roll.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Or when he gets a utilt on shield

Puff shield pressure = spamming utilt and short hop dairing when you think they'll roll (see: Isai vids)

Top Bottom