• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ~New~ SWF GYM! Newbies and New Years Resolution Peeps Wanted!

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Wow, I haven't posted in this thread in ages.

So I don't really know where I want to take myself body wise at the moment. I don't know if I want to keep a toned look or work really hard on getting massive. I'm mostly happy with the way I look now but I wouldn't mind a bit more size I guess. I'm terrible and keeping a consistent diet though and I know that's really hurting me.

As far as my actual workouts go I feel like I have too many exercises in my routine. I've just continued to add things and I hate to get rid of old favorites but I'm noticing that I can workout for an hour without getting through everything. Once I reach that mark I often find that I'm too tired or hungry to continue.

Well, that's where I'm at now.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Been lifting for a little over 6 months since starting college. Was on some stupid routine for the first 5 months or so but now on Starting Strength. Unimpressive lifts atm are 145x6 bench, 175x6 squat and 195x5 deadlift @ 145 lbs. Hoping to hit 315x1 on deadlift by the time school ends, maybe 165x5 on bench and something around 225-250x5 on squat.

Bought adipowers a couple weeks ago and god they are so sexy and make my squats feel so much better.

Edit- Ha I remember I posted in this thread when I was 16 saying I was going to start working out, really wish I made good on that.
Are you working for strength or aesthetics?

Grandeza

Smash Master
Are you working for strength or aesthetics?
Aspiring powerlifter so certainly a focus on strength. But I think as a novice lifter the best thing you can focus on is getting your big 3 to intermediate levels whether you're more interested in aesthetics or strength.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Aspiring powerlifter so certainly a focus on strength. But I think as a novice lifter the best thing you can focus on is getting your big 3 to intermediate levels whether you're more interested in aesthetics or strength.
Oh that's cool, I was more curious because your goals were centred around how much weight you were pushing, and that's something that only powerlifters should care about. I'm just glad that's your actual goal. As for needing the big 3 for aesthetics, meh, I don't squat nor bench and I look just fine, so I dunno. :3

Last edited:

Grandeza

Smash Master
I'm not saying you NEED the big 3 for aesthetics. If you're doing fine without them then far be it from me to say you need them. I just think for anyone starting off, those are the movements that will put the most mass on you the quickest. Compound lifts in general are your friend in the beginning.

Last edited:

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
For sure, deadlift is my favourite lol.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Getting myself fit again after a long slump. Purchased a doorway pull up bar for some exercises when I'm at home

Has anyone had any problems with these? ie: damaging door frames etc.

Chow time on some nuts. Happy lifting guys

JayB

Smash Rookie
I fit the skinny as **** stereotype perfectly, however I'm willing and wanting to change it. I've never been to a gym before, but there's a pretty good one 2 minutes away from my house. During the week I'm at college (UK) and I typically get back at 5PM each day, except for Friday when I get home at 3. I leave home at 7AM each day. My average calorie intake is 2,100. I'm 5'10 (178cm) and I weigh 8.5 stone (54kg or 119lbs).
Is there anyone willing to give advice on a schedule or a diet plan or something similar?
Thanks in advance!

Grandeza

Smash Master
I fit the skinny as **** stereotype perfectly, however I'm willing and wanting to change it. I've never been to a gym before, but there's a pretty good one 2 minutes away from my house. During the week I'm at college (UK) and I typically get back at 5PM each day, except for Friday when I get home at 3. I leave home at 7AM each day. My average calorie intake is 2,100. I'm 5'10 (178cm) and I weigh 8.5 stone (54kg or 119lbs).
Is there anyone willing to give advice on a schedule or a diet plan or something similar?
Thanks in advance!
Hey man, I'm certainly no expert, but I can give you my 2 cents. You're extremely underweight for 5' 10" and you can definitely take in more than 2100 calories comfortably. If you were to get on some sort of beginner routine to build muscle, you'd probably want to shoot for 1/2 a pound to a pound of weight gain a week. That means finding your maintenance calories and eating 250-500 cals more than that daily, though at your height and weight you could probably get away with more. Also worth noting, you should aim for 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight per day.

As far as a workout routine, I'm very partial to Starting Strength as I've had great results with it. Pretty much any beginner routine worth its salt focuses around the squat, deadlift, bench press, and overhead press as these are the exercises that will put the most mass on you.

This link explains pretty much everything you need to know about the Starting Strength routine:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158406513

Other popular beginner routines include: Stronglifts 5x5, ICF 5x5...but in the end they're all derivatives of starting strength.

I hope this helped a little bit, again I'm no expert but I think this is a good starting point for someone trying to put on muscle in an efficient way.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
I've renewed my gym membership during a special they had. Two years for $576.

Last edited:

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Thanks in advance!
Bump your calories the hell up, get at least 120g of protein a day, drink lots of water, and start lifting like a bawss.

It's really not that hard especially since you're college age. It's the consistency that's the most important part. Try getting 4 days a week in the gym and maybe give yourself a week off every 6-12 weeks.

I used to play football and swim so you can imagine I had a slender frame, but I went from 58 to 72 in 10 months so make of it what you will.

Jackson

Smash Lord
I'm in pretty good shape, but I want to bulk up more. Problem is, I rarely have the drive to hit the gym. And advice that I can use to encourage myself?

Grandeza

Smash Master
I'm in pretty good shape, but I want to bulk up more. Problem is, I rarely have the drive to hit the gym. And advice that I can use to encourage myself?
Find someone to go with if you can. When they're not motivated, you can motivate them and vice versa. Stick with it long enough and in time you'll probably grow to enjoy it enough that you don't need external motivation.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Saying you want to do something but not actually doing it is weak ass ****, that should be motivation enough my neezy.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Hey guys, it has been a while. Gonna be real brief. I stopped lifting, playing basketball, and just anything health related ever since I got involved in the typical sit at a desk 9-5 job, while also inputting a few hours a day into a non-profit group a friend started. The non-profit group work is slowing down, so I want to dedicate myself to getting back into shape. Just went to play some basketball today, and I didn't even make it through one full court game, before I was dead tired.

Here are the problems I'm looking at...

1. No cardio endurance.
2. I'm "skinny fat". I weigh about 167 lbs, and I would say 20% of that is fat. Love handles/rounding of my belly, and also fat in the chest area.
3. I started lifting last week...I have barely retained my strength (3 sets x5x175 on the bench, 3x5x200 on Squat, don't know my Deadlift).

I was thinking of starting a Paleo or Ketosis diet to help burn off the fat. But that's just my thought process on what I want to do first. What would you guys recommend?

Last edited:

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Okay so basically this first picture as a heads up is a fee years old and I was probably a bit fuller when I started going hard but yeah, I was basically around that size when I started.

Moral of the story is, you can be ready brother if you wanna be.

Last edited:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
For my macros, a guy on Reddit made this Excel book that I find pretty good. http://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/comments/24f0np/new_ketogains_macro_calculator_v20/

It's been a weird adjustment, since my culture demands rice with every dish. Eating salad + meat, a lot of butter, ranch, olive oil, etc is definitely new to me. I'm on day 3, while utilizing Ice Cream Fitness. To my understanding, the program is designed to help you get "bigger". I'm not looking to get too big, so I plan to switch off to Starting Strength or something else once I feel adequate about my size.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
For my macros, a guy on Reddit made this Excel book that I find pretty good. http://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/comments/24f0np/new_ketogains_macro_calculator_v20/

It's been a weird adjustment, since my culture demands rice with every dish. Eating salad + meat, a lot of butter, ranch, olive oil, etc is definitely new to me. I'm on day 3, while utilizing Ice Cream Fitness. To my understanding, the program is designed to help you get "bigger". I'm not looking to get too big, so I plan to switch off to Starting Strength or something else once I feel adequate about my size.
Tbh it takes a long time to get "too" big so to speak, and for most it also takes a bit of special supplementation if you nahmsayin, I wouldn't worry too much about that, it's easier to lose muscle mass than to gain it anyway, so if you do reach that point just burn it away.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Some things noticed during Day 4...

1. I've had two workouts so far. The regime requires me to do 5x5 squats, and while I'm starting a bit "lower" weight wise than what I can do...my left knee is really, really sore.
2. Dunno if it's the keto diet, but I didn't need any coffee this morning, despite that being a usual thing.
3. I've heard you get brain fog, metallic taste in mouth, dried lips, and other stuff while going into ketosis....nothing so far.
4. And to get a bit gross, this morning was the first time I pooped since Monday.
5. I downloaded the MyFitness Pal app to monitor my calories/macros.

Last edited:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Thought I'd post an update...

I checked my weight today (Week 2). I missed my macros twice during the week. The first time being that I was out all day, and I didn't even come close to getting enough fat. The second time was that I ate something that I thought had no carbs, but did, which was just a "no-no".

Anyways, I lost 2.4 lbs when I weighed myself this morning. Same night clothes and everything. Just to be safe, I had breakfast, and weighed myself again. It came out to still be a 1 lb deficit. All the while, been making some small gains at the gym.

I'm gonna start checking my weight more than once a week, just so I can get a better idea.

Element of Smash

Scrub Lord
Muay Thai is probably the best thing I've ever done. I was never really motivated to go to a real gym, but now I have a reason to work out! Gotta get them legs like I-bars. Although, my hand-work needs a lot of work. I have no punch game, and I get bopped for it.

My point though is that martial arts have been my gym, and I think I'm going to continue with it. I've got the belly pudge and getting kinda uncomfortable with my chest. Right now, I'm 5' 8" at about 165-170. It fluctuates in that area from week to week. At the very least, I aim to convert most of that to muscle mass, maybe even get down to 160 in doing so.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Lost about 6 lbs in three weeks with no drop in my weight lifting, while on Keto. Tomorrow, I'll be heading to the gym, and will be checking my BF there. That will be the real litmus test.

Last edited:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
3 weeks on Keto, got my body fat checked today. Mind you, this is at 5 pm after I've had breakfast, lunch, and water. Last time, it weighed me at 169. I dropped to 166. My bodyfat went from 21.7% to 20.4%.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Is it possible to gain size if you work out but eat like a 5 year old?

Last edited:

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
What do you mean "eat like a 5 year old"? Not eat much or eating junk food?
yeaah both lol, I eat like.... eggs, waffles,

that's it that's the end of the list

no lol i eat other things too but like i dont really ever eat fruits/vegetables/plants in general, and sometimes my dinner will just be like...... a lunchables and a snack

Top Bottom