• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ~New~ SWF GYM! Newbies and New Years Resolution Peeps Wanted!

Chinaux

Smash Ace
You'll get plenty of complements and passing looks from all the gals soon brah. Just give it time. I "feel" like I had one complement too. A friend of mine came to me and was asked me if I could help him learn things in the gym. It wasn't a direct compliment (You're growing, getting buffed/toned, etc) but I feel like him coming to me for advice and help for his fitness goal was one.

I'm really interested. So far I only have two podcasts and a couple of songs in my workout playlist and I'd really like to expand it.
Well, what types of music would you be interested in having in it?

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Well, what types of music would you be interested in having in it?
I dunno. I'm pretty much open to anything. The few tracks that I have aren't exactly the most "working out" types.

Edit: Except for dubstep. The radio at the gym is always set to a station that plays that.

Last edited:

Chinaux

Smash Ace
I dunno. I'm pretty much open to anything. The few tracks that I have aren't exactly the most "working out" types.

Edit: Except for dubstep. The radio at the gym is always set to a station that plays that.
Hmmm. What about metal/screamo? Something like the songs in my signature/these
(this is just something I listen to frequently while working out.)

Last edited:

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I think it's nice to mix in songs that are just good fun on top of all the typical AAAHHH hard stuff. Disco Inferno is my favourite example of such a song, it's hard not to get hyped when that smooth fukken riff hits.

Also burn baby burn is a pretty good thing to hear for people out there who are all into their gym rat PUMP AND BURN stuff.

Chinaux

Smash Ace
I think it's nice to mix in songs that are just good fun on top of all the typical AAAHHH hard stuff. Disco Inferno is my favourite example of such a song, it's hard not to get hyped when that smooth ****en riff hits.

Also burn baby burn is a pretty good thing to hear for people out there who are all into their gym rat PUMP AND BURN stuff.
Hmm... I was thinking of making a few playlists, just like one with metal, one without, one for _____ genre, etc.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Hmm... I was thinking of making a few playlists, just like one with metal, one without, one for _____ genre, etc.
Mixing it up is really entertaining, honestly nothing helps your performance more than smiling and being in a good mood tbh, which often happens when funny follow ons occur.

Chinaux

Smash Ace
I'm starting to cut now. I'm doing cardio 3-5 times a week, lifting 5x a week and trying to eat around 2000 calories a day (I'm 6' 186 after my bulk from 160ish).

So far it sucks but it's not so bad. I'm going to be cutting for a while now since my bf% has increased a little during my bulk.

I have been putting off the playlists but I'll get to it eventually. :grin:

SilentBob

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SgtFirestarter
3DS FC
1435-4126-3817
I lack time to go to the gym these days. So now I'm just going on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays but I stay much longer to compensate. I'm basically doing a modified 5x5 routine.

AxBxAxx
BxAxBxx

-Workout A-
Squats 5x5
Bench 5x5
Bent over rows 5x5
Barbell shrugs 3x10
Tricep extensions 3x8
Dumbbell curls 3x8
Cable crunches 3x12

-Workout B-
Squats 5x5
Deadlifts 1x5
Overhead Press 5x5
Bent over rows 5x5
Close grip bench 3x8
Dumbbell curls 3x8
Cable crunches 3x12

Also I'm on a 1600 calorie a day cut. I'm dead once I'm out of the gym.

Chinaux

Smash Ace
I lack time to go to the gym these days. So now I'm just going on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays but I stay much longer to compensate. I'm basically doing a modified 5x5 routine.

AxBxAxx
BxAxBxx

-Workout A-
Squats 5x5
Bench 5x5
Bent over rows 5x5
Barbell shrugs 3x10
Tricep extensions 3x8
Dumbbell curls 3x8
Cable crunches 3x12

-Workout B-
Squats 5x5
Deadlifts 1x5
Overhead Press 5x5
Bent over rows 5x5
Close grip bench 3x8
Dumbbell curls 3x8
Cable crunches 3x12

Also I'm on a 1600 calorie a day cut. I'm dead once I'm out of the gym.
What's your height/weight?

Also, that's total bull not having enough time for the gym. Do you sleep >6 hours? You have plenty of time to go to the gym.

Last edited:

SilentBob

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SgtFirestarter
3DS FC
1435-4126-3817
What's your height/weight?

Also, that's total bull not having enough time for the gym. Do you sleep >6 hours? You have plenty of time to go to the gym.
5'7" 180lbs

I actually sleep 6 hours or less. I've been doing a **** load of overtime for almost two months now due to multiple releases we need to do for our game during the holidays. Once that stupid rush is over I'm going back to 5 days a week.

Chinaux

Smash Ace
5'7" 180lbs

I actually sleep 6 hours or less. I've been doing a **** load of overtime for almost two months now due to multiple releases we need to do for our game during the holidays. Once that stupid rush is over I'm going back to 5 days a week.
Oh okay. I thought you were just doing that for good.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ this website is pretty useful for knowing how many calories you should be eating. I just thought 1600 calories was a little low for a cut. Although you're supposed to eat less you still need calories.

Another thing about your routine is you should try doing an upper body/lower body split. Try something like
Day 1
Bench
Incline bench
Dips/flyes
Pullups/lat pulldown
Rows
Curls and tricep extension
Maybe throw in core
Day 2
Squats
Leg extensions
Deadlift
Leg curls
Glute raises (if you want girls to check out your ass, they're weird and like that stuff)

Work calves every time you go

Last edited:

Chinaux

Smash Ace
Okay so basically this first picture as a heads up is a fee years old and I was probably a bit fuller when I started going hard but yeah, I was basically around that size when I started.

Moral of the story is, you can be ready brother if you wanna be.
CONFIRMED spooky skeleton tier

Genocyde

Smash Cadet
What do are you guys doing for cardio? I've been completely neglecting it because I don't want to burn off any calories, but I figure I gotta do something sooner or later because I'll often feel fatigued after one or two exercises.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
What do are you guys doing for cardio? I've been completely neglecting it because I don't want to burn off any calories, but I figure I gotta do something sooner or later because I'll often feel fatigued after one or two exercises.
This and only this.

Chinaux

Smash Ace
Running biking swimming sex

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Going to professional photoshoots with ice cream and chocolate

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
So I've started a new regiment from the past week; I do a 10-minute warm-up workout every day after waking up. It's going to probably seem too small for "results" to many of you more seasoned gym vets though.

I start with sit-ups, then push-ups, then 20 lbs. lifting barbells (might move up to 25 lbs. eventually). I'm slowly building my abs, upper body, shoulders, and arms. I also run on the elliptical occasionally to get a good endorphin surge (and some cardio.)

I began starting with sets of 15 each. Now I'm at 20 each. Sometimes I have to take a few seconds to rest in my workout position before proceeding due to physical exertion. Yet I've never quit a set once and I intend to keep it that way.

I'm confident with my slender physique. I don't want to be ripped, braaaah! But I desire something stockier than what I have.

What do you think of my regiment? Any changes I should make to my schedule, sets, etc.? ;)

Chinaux

Smash Ace
So I've started a new regiment from the past week; I do a 10-minute warm-up workout every day after waking up. It's going to probably seem too small for "results" to many of you more seasoned gym vets though.

I start with sit-ups, then push-ups, then 20 lbs. lifting barbells (might move up to 25 lbs. eventually). I'm slowly building my abs, upper body, shoulders, and arms. I also run on the elliptical occasionally to get a good endorphin surge (and some cardio.)

I began starting with sets of 15 each. Now I'm at 20 each. Sometimes I have to take a few seconds to rest in my workout position before proceeding due to physical exertion. Yet I've never quit a set once and I intend to keep it that way.

I'm confident with my slender physique. I don't want to be ripped, braaaah! But I desire something stockier than what I have.

What do you think of my regiment? Any changes I should make to my schedule, sets, etc.? ;)
Why not just do 10 minutes of cardio? It's probably just as good

Chinaux

Smash Ace
I ate a cookie today. Better commit suicide because my cut is now a failure.
Damn you, junk food.

Last edited:

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
So guys, I weighted myself yesterday and I have gone up a couple of pounds. I know weight doesn't equal fat but this has kinda caused me to reassess myself. My current main goal is to lose bodyfat. With that, do I make a big focus witch on cardio? Weight lifting? Or do I continue a balance of both? And with regards to diet, do I go on a restriction on X amount of calories? My current diet has kinda gotten above 2000 cals but most of it is good in things like protein and etc.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
It shouldn't be so much about losing weight and more about building muscle and get to go a good body fat percentage. So yeah some weights are definitely a good thing, cardio only is not very good at all.

The beauty of weights and cardiovascular combined is you often eat more than you ever have while still trimming soke fat. You really don't have to be extremely draconian about calories and such when you're only aiming for 10-12% bf, it looks great and is very maintainable.

Focus on building up your muscles and strength, because by doing so you'll have a much higher base metabolic rate, which is the real key to keeping low body fat. Enjoy.

Last edited:

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Well guys, seems like I hit a false positive. About last month/maybe month and a half, I weighed in at 167/168. Four days ago, I weighed at 171. Yesterday, I went to the clinic and was 175.9. This morning I was 166/165/164. So all in all, I actually lost weight...

It shouldn't be so much about losing weight and more about building muscle and get to go a good body fat percentage. So yeah some weights are definitely a good thing, cardio only is not very good at all.

The beauty of weights and cardiovascular combined is you often eat more than you ever have while still trimming soke fat. You really don't have to be extremely draconian about calories and such when you're only aiming for 10-12% bf, it looks great and is very maintainable.

Focus on building up your muscles and strength, because by doing so you'll have a much higher base metabolic rate, which is the real key to keeping low body fat. Enjoy.
So I can continue to have my famous Oatcakes breakfast and my favorite 28oz fat free milk with three eggs, a spoonful of peanut butter, two scoops of ON all natural protein, two bananas, and a dash of cinnamon protein shake? Cause I gotta be honest, that shake is the one thing I'm looking forward to after the gym. In fact, I went to the gym this morning and had it fifthteen minutes ago.

Last edited:

Chinaux

Smash Ace
Well guys, seems like I hit a false positive. About last month/maybe month and a half, I weighed in at 167/168. Four days ago, I weighed at 171. Yesterday, I went to the clinic and was 175.9. This morning I was 166/165/164. So all in all, I actually lost weight...

So I can continue to have my famous Oatcakes breakfast and my favorite 28oz fat free milk with three eggs, a spoonful of peanut butter, two scoops of ON all natural protein, two bananas, and a dash of cinnamon protein shake? Cause I gotta be honest, that shake is the one thing I'm looking forward to after the gym. In fact, I went to the gym this morning and had it fifthteen minutes ago.
Drink the protein shake <40 minutes after your workout. The ideal time to consume protein is during that time.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Drink the protein shake <40 minutes after your workout. The ideal time to consume protein is during that time.
Got that covered. I usually make it home within 15-20 minutes and prepare/drink it in about five.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Nothing you eat post workout will make you gain fat, and pre workout meals are simply fuel for exercise. Use this time to your advantage.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Post your routines please I'm wondering if mine is okay.
30 minutes of cardio after (if I have time, which is basically never). Cardio is usually stationary bike, or switching between running, bike, and elliptical based on boredom.

Legs and Abs
Extensions 20 x 15 x 12
Deadlifts 10 x 10 x 10
Leg Press 20 x 15 x 10
Hack Squat 20 x 15 x 10
Squats 10 x 10 x 10
Leg Curls 15 x 10 x 10
Sitting Calf Raise 20 x 15 x 10
Standing Calf Raise 20 x 15 x 10
Crunch Machine 25 x 20 x 15
Bicycle Kicks 25 x 25 x 25
Russian Twists 20 x 15 x 10
Cable Crunches 15 x 10 x 10

Honestly the rep counts is kinda random... the "heavy" compound exercises I try to focus on (Deadlifts/Squats), with everything else built around preparing for those. Also this day takes like 2 hours. Would not recommend.

Back and Biceps
Pullups 10
Lat Pulldown 10 x 8 x 6
Rows 10 x 8 x 6
Smith Machine Shrugs 15 x 10 x 10
Barbell Shrugs 15 x 10 x 10
Standing Barbell Curls (21s) 7 x 7 x 7
Incline Dumbell Curls 10 x 10 x 10
Cable Curls 10 x 10 x 10

Short day. Favorite.

Chest and Triceps
Flat Bench Press 10 x 8 x 6
Decline Benchpress 10 x 8 x 6
Smith Machine Incline Benchpress 10 x 10 x 10
Dips 10 x 10 x 10
Side Shoulder Raises 10 x 10 x 10
Front Shoulder Raises 10 x 10 x 10
Skullcrushers 10 x 10 x 10
Cable Pulldown 10 x 10 x 10
Pec Fly 10 x 10 x 10
Tricep Dips 10 x 10 x 10

Good weeks, when I'm not busy, I try to go 6 days a week. That's rare, but usually try to get in the three day circuit when I can. Wish I could do cardio more often, but it eats so much time when I'm trying to do everything else on here. Swimming would be ideal.

Last edited:

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Post your routines please I'm wondering if mine is okay.
When i actually get back to it this week I'll be back to my usual routine.

Monday- Chest Tris (light) and Abs (rotator cuff warmup before I start)

Tuesday- Back and calves

Wednesday- Off/Swimming

Thursday- Delts traps arms abs (rotator cuff warmup before I start)

Friday- Legs (including calves), 5 minute cardio warmup before I start

Weekend off

Not gonna post all my exercises because that generally changes except for abs, which is just hanging leg raises and dragon flags one day, and planks/side planks on another.

Genocyde

Smash Cadet
Reached a PR of 315 on deadlifts, but my bench press is still ****ing awful...

Not satisfied at all.

Last edited:

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Reached a PR of 315 on deadlifts, but my bench press is still ****ing awful...

Not satisfied at all.
Bench scores are mostly held back by technique. People tend to get their DLs right because they're worried about herniating a disc or something. Idk if there are any powerlifting coaches around you that can help, but I guess you could a each around online.

Genocyde

Smash Cadet
Bench scores are mostly held back by technique. People tend to get their DLs right because they're worried about herniating a disc or something. Idk if there are any powerlifting coaches around you that can help, but I guess you could a each around online.
I've been trying to practice my bench press technique for a couple weeks now. I had a friend correct me on my form a little bit last weekend which was slightly helpful. Hardest part for me is just getting the bar to travel in a straight path. My arms start to wobble after the first set, and I end up having to tilt the bar to slide the plates off. Was really frustrated about it yesterday. Also, I don't know if it matters much or not, but I have long arms so they are never fully locked out when unracking.

I find DLs to be the least scary of the big 3 compound lifts when it comes to injury. I never have to worry about **** crashing down on my body like with bench/squat. I felt some slight pain in my hip adductors the other day, but that may be just because I didn't warm them up?

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Deads are the scariest for me. I hurt myself the first week I tried learning them and thats haunted me since.

The motions for "the big three" take practice, thats for sure.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I've been trying to practice my bench press technique for a couple weeks now. I had a friend correct me on my form a little bit last weekend which was slightly helpful. Hardest part for me is just getting the bar to travel in a straight path. My arms start to wobble after the first set, and I end up having to tilt the bar to slide the plates off. Was really frustrated about it yesterday. Also, I don't know if it matters much or not, but I have long arms so they are never fully locked out when unracking.

I find DLs to be the least scary of the big 3 compound lifts when it comes to injury. I never have to worry about **** crashing down on my body like with bench/squat. I felt some slight pain in my hip adductors the other day, but that may be just because I didn't warm them up?
Just practice at really easy weights like 30-40% 1RM. Do really slow reps that emphasise the correct format then work up super slowly. It's a little emasculating I guess but it works.

But that part you mentioned about long arms means a lot. If you look at top benchers they have short arms, because basically they only have to push the bar a short distance which is obviously easier.

The fact of the matter is your pecs and tris could be way stronger than someone who benches maybe 20lb more, but because you have to have such a high power output to get a full rep, you can't actually manage it.

Tbqh I loathe barbell bench presses and haven't done it in about 2 years, and I feel all the better for it.

Last edited:

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Tbqh I loathe barbell bench presses and haven't done it in about 2 years, and I feel all the better for it.
Naaaahhhh you gotta bench bruhhhhhh

The lowered weight bit is important. Ego is really something you have to leave behind. Squat was something I really struggled with even until recently. I was squatting a ludicrous amount for sorry-ass reps and that wasn't getting me anywhere. It wasn't until I pulled all but one of the plates off and really hammered the motion down that I started seeing results.

I wouldn't call it emasculating, just being honest with yourself.

Genocyde

Smash Cadet
Just practice at really easy weights like 30-40% 1RM. Do really slow reps that emphasise the correct format then work up super slowly. It's a little emasculating I guess but it works.

But that part you mentioned about long arms means a lot. If you look at top benchers they have short arms, because basically they only have to push the bar a short distance which is obviously easier.

The fact of the matter is your pecs and tris could be way stronger than someone who benches maybe 20lb more, but because you have to have such a high power output to get a full rep, you can't actually manage it.

Yeah, dudes with short arms have an advantage of having to deal with less range of motion. I'm debating whether or not to even lower the bar all the way because I can feel the stretch just fine when the bar is about 3 or 4 inches from my chest

Most of the time I'll just try to lift what I can without worrying about other guys think in the gym, but I'm borderline obsessed with wanting to be stronger/bigger. Like I said earlier, I gotta tilt the bar almost every time when the weight becomes too much, and that feels embarassing when you can barely get 155 off your chest.

Do you do dumbell bench press as a substitute?
Deads are the scariest for me. I hurt myself the first week I tried learning them and thats haunted me since.

The motions for "the big three" take practice, thats for sure.
I think I feel the same way about squats as you do deadlifts. First time I tried them, I made the mistake of having the bar too high so just unracking was taxing. The subsequent times after that I was doing what I thought was correct technique, only to feel acute pain in my lower back. Just getting into a comfortable starting position requires proper technique, let alone the actual exercise itself, so I've been putting it off until I can get my friend to check my form. I still target my legs, but I know I need dat squat power if I want them to grow.

Last edited:

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Speaking of barbell, I've seem to gone down on the incline barbell bench pressing. Before, I could 3x10 using 35lbs but today my arms felt "tiring" using 20lbs.

Top Bottom