• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ~New~ SWF GYM! Newbies and New Years Resolution Peeps Wanted!

theeboredone

Smash Legend
actually, i just recently found a few study that suggest that increased carbohydrate intake improves protein synthesis and muscle growth, even if the protein intake is concurrently lowered. it does explain why i leaned up after I increased my carbs at the expense of protein, at least.
First off, really sorry to hear about your calf. Sucks bro.

So for a guy like me, who is trying to add on 5-10 pounds right now, I don't need to worry about getting that 1:1 protein to lean body weight ratio? It's okay to dip a bit below that for more carbs?

Also, workout rap song by Ron Artest lmao.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPuzwuddguU

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
First off, really sorry to hear about your calf. Sucks bro.

So for a guy like me, who is trying to add on 5-10 pounds right now, I don't need to worry about getting that 1:1 protein to lean body weight ratio? It's okay to dip a bit below that for more carbs?

Also, workout rap song by Ron Artest lmao.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPuzwuddguU
I wouldn't think you'd need to 1:1 ratio for protein to body weight unless you really wanna get big. Still though, it can't hurt, but probably not necessary. I typically just take 1 scoop at the end of a workout. The 1:1 ratio seems to be for the extremely serious weight lifters.

Also, it's funny how lighting can affect how well you see the muscle fibers in your body.

Underload

Lazy
I try to have a basement protein in take of 120g a day, and I weight ~75kg. I usually end up around there. My results are decent, but I'm sure more protein would have better results.

It's all at the user's discretion.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I wouldn't think you'd need to 1:1 ratio for protein to body weight unless you really wanna get big. Still though, it can't hurt, but probably not necessary. I typically just take 1 scoop at the end of a workout. The 1:1 ratio seems to be for the extremely serious weight lifters.

Also, it's funny how lighting can affect how well you see the muscle fibers in your body.
I mean, I guess you have a point per say for the ratio being for serious weight lifters, but I just don't want to have less than what's needed ya know? I believe my lean body weight is about 134, so I get the protein I need usually no problem.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
I've recently been reading a few studies in a new book I got, which seems to conclude that there is no need to take 1.8grams of protein per kg of body weight, but even then, most people don't need this. I actually don't even almost have that much these days, and while I dropped a few, I leaned up significantly. Funny how these things work.

Injury isn't that bad, just the timing was terrible. In fact, it couldn't have been timed worse.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
I mean, I guess you have a point per say for the ratio being for serious weight lifters, but I just don't want to have less than what's needed ya know? I believe my lean body weight is about 134, so I get the protein I need usually no problem.
I've recently been reading a few studies in a new book I got, which seems to conclude that there is no need to take 1.8grams of protein per kg of body weight, but even then, most people don't need this. I actually don't even almost have that much these days, and while I dropped a few, I leaned up significantly. Funny how these things work.

Injury isn't that bad, just the timing was terrible. In fact, it couldn't have been timed worse.
I gotcha. It's up to you. I'm with Shmot thinking that 1.8g per kg is a bit much, especially since our weight isn't reflective of our muscle mass. Water and fat contributes to a big portion of our weight. But again, it's up to you. At one point, I would take about 46 - 69 g of protein or 2-3 scoops. I only use 1 scoop now mainly for money reasons. Protein is d*** expensive haha. I heard they sell protein at Walmart now?

@Schmot - When do you think you'll fully recover? This is a recurrent injury right? I heard it gets easier to injure the same area, no? I've never really sprain or broke anything, but the pathophysiology may suggest it with scarring and fibrosis and what not.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well just to clarify, I don't take all my protein just from powder. I probably drink a shake once or twice a day. Rest comes from just food. Powder probably accommodates for about 48 g

But yeah, protein powder can be expensive. I just stick with Amazon or Bodybuilding.com

Attila_

BRoomer
You guys really don't even know what expensive protein is. In australia, it's quite literally double or triple the price...

Compare:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/gn/myofusion.html
http://www.vitaminking.com.au/myofusion-protein-supplements-by-gaspari-nutrition.html

You guys have it so good...

@Shmot - When do you think you'll fully recover? This is a recurrent injury right? I heard it gets easier to injure the same area, no? I've never really sprain or broke anything, but the pathophysiology may suggest it with scarring and fibrosis and what not.
Nah, this is the first time i've torn this hammy. I've done my other one before (right side), but it was mostly because i was out of condition and cut my warm up really short, whereas this is from overtraining (namely overtraining block starts). My hip flexor (left side) got sent into spasm, and irritated the nerve or something, and made it fire too hard. Completely different.

I'm supposed to be allowed to hit the track again in another 3 weeks, but even then, it would take another 6 weeks or so to fully recover confidence and strength. I've given up for this track season (finished in 6 weeks) cause I can't really see the point trying to get back to speed. So i'll take my time, put on some weight, and prepare for pre-season in June.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
That's what I'm living off now. I don't know good it is really, but it's $18 and it's gonna have to do.
$18?! God ****. How big is the tub? Unfortunately there's no walmarts around me. My brother knows a steriod-using worker at GNC and gets discounted protein there, but I doubt it'd be $18 or cheaper even with the discount.

The stuff at wal-mart is pretty legit. ^.^
I was curious about this cause how much can protein change besides the other bull**** ingredients added in. Then again, I got the Stop&shop version of Cinnamon Toast Crunch and it tastes like ****. Well, I don't care about the taste of protein as long as it's actually protein.

You guys really don't even know what expensive protein is. In australia, it's quite literally double or triple the price...

Compare:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/gn/myofusion.html
http://www.vitaminking.com.au/myofusion-protein-supplements-by-gaspari-nutrition.html

You guys have it so good...
I can't get the second link to work :/

Shmot aiming to take down Usain Bolt. First by stealing his sponsorship to Puma, and then Gatorade.
Hahaha funny stuff! I love Pumas. Gatorade is so-so for me.

Underload

Lazy
I've heard the stuff at Walmart is pretty cheap, too. I think it's $18 for two pounds? Iunno, just a guess.

Thing about my diet is that I don't have the money to buy protein, so I'm getting most of that 120-130g from food and, like, protein bars when I need an extra 20 or 30g.

I'm close to having enough money together to buy some protein powder, and when I get to that money, I'll probably order from here and get this stuff: http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_Details.aspx?cid=22&pid=6740 Ignoring shipping and potential additives like different flavors, it's just over $5 a pound. Every 30g serving has 24g of protein, so there's not TOO much filler in there. So yeah, take a look over on that website, gents. I've seen some apparently good deals there.

Attila_

BRoomer
I can't get the second link to work :/
really? i can still load it up. this is a different site, but it still expresses my point:

http://www.nutritionwarehouse.com.au/myofusion-by-gaspari-nutrition-pr-613.html

Shmot aiming to take down Usain Bolt. First by stealing his sponsorship to Puma, and then Gatorade.
<3

I'm close to having enough money together to buy some protein powder, and when I get to that money, I'll probably order from here and get this stuff: http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_Details.aspx?cid=22&pid=6740 Ignoring shipping and potential additives like different flavors, it's just over $5 a pound. Every 30g serving has 24g of protein, so there's not TOO much filler in there. So yeah, take a look over on that website, gents. I've seen some apparently good deals there.
I've had issues with cheap internet protein; bad digestion and not mixing at all :( But why did you want a concentrate, anyway?

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Anyone got any good tested recipes for baking protein powder into bars? My girlfriend got me a bunch of chocolate whey powder for xmas (<3) but I forgot how BAD it tastes. Even in a bunch of chocolate milk my delicate taste buds howl in pain with every gulp. I think a bar would be tastier and also overall more nutritious anyways.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
Anyone got any good tested recipes for baking protein powder into bars? My girlfriend got me a bunch of chocolate whey powder for xmas (<3) but I forgot how BAD it tastes. Even in a bunch of chocolate milk my delicate taste buds howl in pain with every gulp. I think a bar would be tastier and also overall more nutritious anyways.
Can't tell ya how to bake it, but I find whey protein + milk + complimenting ice cream flavor works well. I got banana cream and I put bananas, strawberry ice cream, and 2% milk in a blender. Tastes pretty good. Try it with perhaps chocolate ice cream with either regular milk or chocolate milk.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Don't see why it's so hard to make a protein shake taste good...powder or no powder. Mine come out tasting fine. Water or milk.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
The Walmart stuff is actually some of the tastier stuff I've had, haha.

I think there are two brands though, go for the Six Star.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
supermarket proteins in aus are terrible; theyre probs the same in the us...
I finally saw the link. I think my comp was being stupid. D*** though, after a 4-5 tubs, you could've bought a friggin PS3 or 360 with the money you gotta pay. I've never seen **** so expensive. It seems like it's a huge workout on your walled. Do you order you protein on other sides to get it for cheaper?

Attila_

BRoomer
typically bars are less bioavailable (harder for the body to absorb nutrients from) because the protein needs to be processed further, and is not naturally found in solid form (whey and casein proteins, that is). a typical side effect of this is farting more than normal :)

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
w/e that doesn't stop me from eating eggs :| I just hate the taste and consistency of shakes unless its like 1:10 to chocolate milk and by then whats the point

Attila_

BRoomer
some shakes actually taste good imo. most are terrible, but some are awesome. try some gaspari myofusion/intrapro, or controlled labs DH20.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Just got back from Walmart.

****'s $15.

Is like, protein technology advancing or something?

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
typically bars are less bioavailable (harder for the body to absorb nutrients from) because the protein needs to be processed further, and is not naturally found in solid form (whey and casein proteins, that is). a typical side effect of this is farting more than normal :)
I was gonna ask if anyone else got the protein farts! Hahaahahah, now I know it's legit. I'm a bit lactose intolerant, so I wasn't sure if it was from the amount of milk I use in my shakes or if it was the protein itself. Maybe it's a lil both then :p **** sucks when you get that gas buildup in class hahahaha.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Aww yea, making steady advancements. All with clean form.

Bumped up to curling 45lbs dumbbells. Up from 40s.

190 bench max. Up from 185, and manged to get three reps from that.

200 is like RIGHT THERE. MUST REACH.

And my six pack is finally taking form! :bee:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Woah that's a bit confusing for me. I'm currently curling 20 lbs, and my bench max is around the same. My biceps fail.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
I haven't figured out my max in a while. I'm currently curling 30's with form. I hate how the less dominant hand is weaker though - in my case, my left hand/arm is a bit weaker. As for abs - medicine ball toss if I got a partner or Dragon Flags all day :)

Top Bottom