• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Super Awesome Oregon Home Thread!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Less likely to DI on reaction? if you buffer it (or just do it as fast as you regularly can) it cannot be reacted. Fox's U-throw is 8 frames(base speed, but can range from 6 to 12 based on character weight), which means at the fastest, you would need 12 frame reaction time, aka 200ms (fast-average) to DI it with Bowser, and 100ms reaction time to DI with Pichu. Those reaction times are for reacting to it if you are looking for it, as in if you're not expecting to get grabbed, you're not going to DI on reaction.

Buffer won't make U-throw -> U-air combo well, if they expect it, they will be able to DI it, if they don't they wont DI it. Although, If they don't DI it, it doesn't really have to be done perfect. EX: Fox U-throws Puff at 40%, no DI. Fox throws at frame 5, but out of lag on frame 39 = 34 frame advantage Puff, but at 40% (no stale move applied to Fox's U-throw) it will cause 43 frames of hitstun, Fox leaving the ground on the very next frame Fox will be in the air when the Puff still has 3 frames of hitstun, so it won't even really combo. The problem is. . . what is the Puff going to do, D-air your U-air? Airdodge so she can float down and land into a U-smash? (at 80% the puff will have 48 frames of hitstun, giving fox ~10 frames to U-air after jump lag if frame perfect)

btw: I was bored this was equally for my benefit as for everyone elses' . . .

TLDR: U-throw U-air is pretty free.

God with a Wavebird

Smash Apprentice
Nah you have to manually uair, but that's not tricky at all. What I would recommend doing though is buffering your uthrow as well. So as soon as you push Z to grab, hold up on the C stick to uthrow ASAP so they're less likely to react and DI.
Lol. I thought I was so clever when I started buffering rolls with the c stick. Thanks for the advice!

Jackie

Smash Journeyman
Logan I still stand by what I said. You didn't put the grab time into your calculation too it looks like. I don't know how much that affects it on a frame basis though, but I would guess it's significant. But anyways, another perk about the buffered throw is that if you have a habit of mashing pummel, the buffer will stop that. Also, once you get used to it, the eight grooves around the cstick make it a lot harder to accidentally bthrow instead of uthrow and the like.

As for Puff, she can just rest :trollface:

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Grabtime is 7 frames for startup, but you can throw instantly afterwards, so if you notice Fox's little hand gesture before he grabs I guess you could factor that into your reaction time. The whole habit of mashing pummel thing I probably overlooked, because I never pummel, I always throw ASAP, or buffer depending on the characters involved. I also have never had a problem of throwing in the wrong direction by accident. Finally, my point about the U-throw U-air was that it is a positioning thing that lands the U-air, not a hitstun thing.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
People will usually DI ahead of time to Fox's U-throw or not at all. For instance, if someone whiffs an attack or otherwise leaves themselves open the thought process of inputting for DI already occurs at this stage.

If the grab came unexpectedly, such as grabbing them while they shield, chances are they will not be DIing horizontal in time against Fox's U-throw. Flat reaction-speed estimates don't take this kind of thing into account.

Even if you do not DI and are in perfect range for Fox's U-air follow-up, it's common knowledge to SDI the U-air's first hit since it's the second hit that's of any consequence. There's plenty of time to see it coming, it's mostly a matter of timing a proper SDI input.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
For anyone who hasn't seen on Facebook, at this point I'm 95% certain I can go, and will try to bring as much people as I can with me from Corvallis.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
And that is the *** part of it all, we could all be playing him :p

Also, I consider ice climbers equally viable for shenanigan based fun.

Binx

Smash Master
haha

Ya im super excited for saturday, gonna have to leave early to do homework but I will almost 100% be there for bracket.

keeper

Smash Champion
Sorry to hear that man. Skool suxx.

It was really really great. Now I'm visiting my sister near London before I fly back to portland in about a month.
Good to hear. England should be really awesome too.

Does anyone possibly want a ride from the Lake Oswego area on Saturday or something? I'm debating going, but I really don't want to take the bus because the transfers and amount of time it takes is inconvenient as hell and I'm wary of parking my car down there after Ratking got his broken into awhile back (not that there's anything in my car, I just don't want it messed with).

FoosJr

Smash Ace
Would be awesome to see you there keeper. Some people from WA are pretty much confirmed, this best bout is looking to be the biggest event in a long time for Oregon.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
There is a solution for that: my car. My car is a cheap 96 Dodge Neon, fully equipped with a rattlecan paint job, cracked windshield, missing hubcap with bent wheel, and peeling tint. Least desirable car to break into.

Binx

Smash Master
Super fun times at BB this month, to everyone I played, ****ing awesome matches guys I had a lot of fun.

To anyone I didn't play, **** you. Also hit me up next time for games.

love, Binx

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
Thanks for showing up everyone, I got some really good practice in and had a blast.

That Banana guy needs to chill out...

The Jizzard

Smash Journeyman
binx how come you didnt enter singles?

and lolololol allen that was too funny man. WHY DO YOU SANDBAG BRO? THATS NOT COOL
and gg in that mm. will get you next time fo sho tho

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
What'd Banana do? That guy was always super cool way back and fun to play with.
Banana, J!zzard and I were playing some friendlies. Banana had beaten me a couple times in the friendlies so I asked him to MM me. I ended up winning the $2 MM and he freaked out. He kicked the table, threw the money on the floor, and then started telling me I shouldn't sandbag in friendlies because it's not cool.

Apparently friendlies are serious business.

J!zzard: I believe it dude, when you play on point you mess me up.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Was that after I left? Good matches everyone, WA was really fun to play with. I'm glad I didn't just get destroyed. Also, Ben and Shane playing well today :D

T0MMY

Smash Master
Seeing Banana at a tourney again was awesome, and some other players I didn't expect see.
The Melee scene unfolding before my eyes was amazingly unexpected, it brought a good energy to the tourney :^)

God with a Wavebird

Smash Apprentice
Banana, J!zzard and I were playing some friendlies. Banana had beaten me a couple times in the friendlies so I asked him to MM me. I ended up winning the $2 MM and he freaked out. He kicked the table, threw the money on the floor, and then started telling me I shouldn't sandbag in friendlies because it's not cool.
Lololol. I wish Eugene could have come.

Nice job getting 5th Jízzard.

FoosJr

Smash Ace
Thanks everyone who came to best bout yesterday was a fun/stressful day sorry things ran so late :/ hopefully next month things will run more smoothly.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Next time bracket should be like. . . top 8(for hype), and the rest should be swiss style (so there are close matches) Most people got 2-0ed all bracket. . .

*-I've never played swiss, but it sounds like it would be much nicer.

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
Edit2: Nevermind what I said earlier.

1) The bracket at ROM5 should not have been changed.

2) M2K and Unknown's Winner's Semis match should not have been replayed, Unknown should have checked the rules.

3) Kirbykaze and Unknown should have just played their Winner's Finals matches, and Unknown should have tried in Grand Finals.

4) Most importantly, publicly splitting should result in a ban.

M2K is still lame, and I'm a little bit disappointed with Unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom