• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Super Awesome Oregon Home Thread!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I couldn't find the info on the Best Bout Weeklies (Melee) on AiB. Is there a link someone could send to me? And if not, could someone tell me the time to show up.
(and just double-checking, it is tonight right?)

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Dude, Phantom is my favorite custom game. For those that don't know/care, you have 8 players on a massive map. Two are the "Evil" Phantoms that get a supply cap that increases over time, 6 are slayers aka people that are totally regular, and Paladins are the protectors of the Slayers and must kill the Phantoms. The Paladins and Phantoms both look very alike for awhile as they both get increased incomes. The catch is no one knows who is who until a certain point when the Phantoms are revealed to each other.

This is funny too. It's long though, but Cella is a funny guy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfBtxaPHa3c

Wololo

Eh, I don't mind the idea of MMOBAs having a scene, since they already did. I think the community might have tension when DOTA2 fully releases and if Blizzard DOTA is supposed to be serious.
It's a little disenchanting how Melee will never be big or something. It's always peeved me a little bit how unsupportive any other community is of it, except I guess early MLG. The problem with fighting games in competition is you can't really practice them constantly or readily due to LAN being the only viable option. I guess a couple Brawl players are on vVv, but I honestly view that as kind of a joke of a team when it comes to anything competitive (especially after how they handled the M2K fiasco). Even traditional fighters don't seem to get too much love unless they're brand new or that one iteration of Street Fighter (2: Third Strike?), but they still don't have a huge professional scene if your name isn't Justin Wong [it seems].
Well, it would certainly help to have a bit more professionalism (for both Brawl and Melee). It's been very difficult to draw new people interested in Melee when I can't easily find a good match that doesn't have HMW's commentary and just in-game sound, let alone "professional" commentary.

I would point out the case in Brawl, but for Brawl I just prefer introducing it through the game itself, since Brawl is pretty hard to watch and be impressed lol (although Brawl commentary is actually pretty good usually).

JonnyW

Smash Ace
Well, it would certainly help to have a bit more professionalism (for both Brawl and Melee). It's been very difficult to draw new people interested in Melee when I can't easily find a good match that doesn't have HMW's commentary and just in-game sound, let alone "professional" commentary.

I would point out the case in Brawl, but for Brawl I just prefer introducing it through the game itself, since Brawl is pretty hard to watch and be impressed lol (although Brawl commentary is actually pretty good usually).
HMW's commentary is part of melee and new people need to know what the scene's like. How often do smashers say "gay" or "****"? Way more than the average person. New people need to learn from the get go how smashers typically are. Most of us are nice but we like melee to be super hype. HMW's commentary is usually the hypest commentary.

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
yeah commentary is definitely not why Melee isn't popular. It's not even slightly the reason it's not popular. The main thing it comes down to I think is that the company doesn't support it. Every other competitive game ever has or had the support of it's company in the competitive scene.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
HMW's commentary is part of melee and new people need to know what the scene's like. How often do smashers say "gay" or "****"? Way more than the average person. New people need to learn from the get go how smashers typically are. Most of us are nice but we like melee to be super hype. HMW's commentary is usually the hypest commentary.
I understand that, but there's two problems with this particular commentary. Pro-gaming commentary often has a little more... "meat" to it. This is so that those who are new to the game, or are less familiar with what's going on, can be "brought up to speed", while letting people who are learning off of the game sorta adopt ideas about the game going on. Second, while language isn't exactly the worst thing in the world, it's still not seen as professional, especially when presented in such an informal discussion (it was really annoying to hear HMW go on these tangential complaints in Armada v. Taj, for example). I personally am okay and have taken a liking to Melee's vocal supporters and the community as a whole (especially meeting some of them at Genesis 2, <3), but if people really want the game to get growth, these will probably need to change (like at least have a guy who's a bit more formal co-commentate with Waffles more often).

@Gage: I can agree to that, that alone was probably the biggest reason Brawl didn't survive much at MLG, I felt the other factors were secondary to the fact that it had no livestream, no real commentary, no nothing :\

keeper

Smash Champion
I look forward to seeing any of you that go at Best Bout tonight. I would post regarding Jonny and Phil, but I don't have the time since I just woke up and have to leave in 15 minutes so I can get there at 5, but I will when I get home or anyone that wants to know can ask me there. I am bringing a set-up (not a TV) with me.

Edit:
yeah commentary is definitely not why Melee isn't popular. It's not even slightly the reason it's not popular. The main thing it comes down to I think is that the company doesn't support it. Every other competitive game ever has or had the support of it's company in the competitive scene.
I will agree with this. Though the commentary will turn some off, at least HMW is a genuinely nice dude and he's doing it (commentating, hosting, uploading games) out of his own volition with no monetary backing.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Yeah, HMW is a pretty cool guy, eh hypes matches, and doesn't afraid of anything. I never said he was bad at commentating, just not the kind if you're wanting to make the game feel more open to newcomers (which is a delicate issue I understand, since that bending in the other direction pretty much was the result of Brawl's shortcomings, but it's still important for that reason)

I think it's a testament to how strong the current bond of the game is when it's still fairly strong after like 8+ years, but it's sorta cemented and rigged at this point. I feel honestly that if I weren't such a smash addict and that I didn't get my first roots in the competitive scene from Brawl, I probably wouldn't be making the steps into it I am now.

JonnyW

Smash Ace
Yeah, HMW is a pretty cool guy, eh hypes matches, and doesn't afraid of anything. I never said he was bad at commentating, just not the kind if you're wanting to make the game feel more open to newcomers (which is a delicate issue I understand, since that bending in the other direction pretty much was the result of Brawl's shortcomings, but it's still important for that reason)
It is delicate. He defiantly makes veteran smashers feel more comfortable then newcomers and thats why I like him. He makes people laugh by making funny smash references and such. Newcomers should be more eager to have fun and learn about the smash scene then getting really good anyways.

I just think HMW is a good example of how melee smashers are. Newcomers should learn about smash from his commentary.

I look forward to seeing any of you that go at Best Bout tonight. I would post regarding Jonny and Phil, but I don't have the time since I just woke up and have to leave in 15 minutes so I can get there at 5, but I will when I get home or anyone that wants to know can ask me there. I am bringing a set-up (not a TV) with me.
God dammit Keeper, im probably not going to BB today and you make me feel like **** cause of it.
Johns johns johns johns johns johns.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Welp, I played Marth in Melee a tooon after my finals to get ramped up, and when I practiced against Casey for Brawl, I took a lot of my Melee Marth and installed it (the closest thing I have to spaced crossups that WD could provide were b-reversals and pivots, which I had some trouble getting consistent but when I did I got some cool stuff going like dashing behind -> tipper fsmash lol), the only problem came when I tried to jump cancel grab, I ended up doing a lot of SH Air dodges the first couple of rounds.

But yeah, I really lurv Melee, I think I'm going to do Melee singles and Brawl doubles primarily since those are my favorite events so far.

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
Well after a terrible night of melee topping off the last three days of playing like garbage. My car was broken into. Hopefully after I get stabbed on my way to work tomorrow, it is only uphill from there. See you all soon.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
That's terrible. Well, now I have a bigger incentive to take the bus to BB.

What was stolen? I learned a couple of things out of habit living in Urban CA, like I usually put all my electronics in a bin so I can find them more easily, but also so I can stash all of them into the trunk (out of sight, out of mind)

The only time I've had my car "robbed" was when it was impounded lol :p

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I had a lot of fun at Best Bout last night and I hope you all can forgive my rusty gameplay as I get back into the swing of Melee. I had a lot of fun playing Doubles with Keeper and Yugo toward the end and wished that I could have arrived earlier\stayed later.

I had a lot of fun at Best Bout last night and I hope you all can forgive my rusty gameplay as I get back into the swing of Melee. I had a lot of fun playing Doubles with Keeper and Yugo toward the end and wished that I could have arrived earlier\stayed later.
that would be awesome if you got back into melee btw. are you playing fox now?

FoosJr

Smash Ace
Damn sad to here that mr. King hope stuff starts going better btw I'm thinking of hosting something at my place on sunday or monday. Let me know who's all interested in coming.

:phone:

Binx

Smash Master
Had fun at BB yesterday, good **** in team friendlies.

GGs keeper and foos and ratking

If I ever get down cause of bad spacing I want you guys to know that I know you guys spaced better than I did and Im not trying to be a **** =D, I just get frustrated when Im bad and my character doesn't do what I want them to.

keeper

Smash Champion
That's why you should try to do less tricks as ICs. If you can, that's great, but it makes you more prone to messing up and being incredibly vulnerable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom