• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Super Awesome Oregon Home Thread!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

debaser

Smash Lord
how was it? I had the chance to go a few years ago but didn't for no particular reason. :/

Binx

Smash Master
Ugh why does best bout remove their vids so quick T_T I need to see if they can send me a copy of the vid next time or see if I can get it off twitch somehow so I can use it to study.

Which reminds me, I need to work on my followups out of dair and jabs vs a bunch of characters, and maybe out of low percent bairs as well, so anyone willing to help me do boring stuff next wed would be awesome. I will help others work on boring **** as well if they want.

i also need to get my wobbles more consistent and learn the handoffs so that if I want to be really gay I can kill anyone of you in a grab, but that will likely wait forever.

debaser

Smash Lord
I liked the chaingrabs you used against jesse. very simple and varied timing with nanas f-smash to **** with his DI.

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
Ugh why does best bout remove their vids so quick T_T I need to see if they can send me a copy of the vid next time or see if I can get it off twitch somehow so I can use it to study.

Which reminds me, I need to work on my followups out of dair and jabs vs a bunch of characters, and maybe out of low percent bairs as well, so anyone willing to help me do boring stuff next wed would be awesome. I will help others work on boring **** as well if they want.

i also need to get my wobbles more consistent and learn the handoffs so that if I want to be really gay I can kill anyone of you in a grab, but that will likely wait forever.
It's really funny because the guy I know up here who plays ice climbers can do anything tech skill related with ice climbers, but he's very inexperienced. He knows what leads into what, and so often he gets a grab and I'm dead, but he doesn't understand the intricacies and mental nuances of a match. You, on the other hand, can fight and make me second guess myself all the time, but I can escape a grab against you so easily. Maybe I should put you two together sometime. I'd bring him around more, but he's really busy.

Binx

Smash Master
Thats not a weekly kind of thing though, that would be like having a $30 tourney in oregon with a little extra payout added onto it and having all of WA and nor Cal come plus oregon and idaho, then we'd get 50 - 100 people if we hyped it enough and had enough of a prize, or guaranteed that mango or m2k would come by providing them a ticket or something.

Not sure how it all works in europe but our scene for just a local is pretty good I think.

Binx

Smash Master
Haha, sorry Yugo didn't mean to make it sound like best bouts fault, I knew it was more twitch than them, I think its because they upload vids so often, but that's not a bad thing ^_^

Yeah that's basically my specialty, just hitting with random **** and messing up people's DI, there are a lot of guaranteed kills and stuff I still don't go for though because I can't do them consistently enough to rely on them in tournament.

Things I need to improve on:
  • I still make some general bad decisions, i go for attacks that aren't safe, or spacings that aren't safe unless my opponent messes up.
  • In the same vain I occasionally will rush someone from a neutral position with risky moves.
  • I miss some simple guaranteed kills due to technical errors, mostly charged smashes after grabs, I'm messing up the headbutt timing in them and throwing early with no smash or missed smashes.
  • Occasionally but rarely I get really smash happy, I do it seldom enough that it's rarely punished and actually gets me a lot of kills, and I notice it well enough to shut it off whenever it starts, but it's something I probably shouldn't do anyways
  • Some of my followups are just bad, I get solid hits with low lag moves like dairs nairs jabs and bairs at low percents and followup poorly with greedy grabs or poorly spaced dash attacks most often. I need to make an effort to slow my mind down for a second and make a real decision rather than just picking one of the two at random and hoping to get lucky.
  • Edgeguards, I space poorly with a lot of edgeguards when my opponents recover low with double jumps, there are opportunities for me to go off the ledge for kills but I miss them, I guess it's safer to stay on stage but it should be something I am capable of more often to make me less predictable, an opponent who can do anything is much scarier to predict than one who doesn't even if it's rare.
  • Desynch pressure, and clutch desynchs - Some characters like jigglypuff and Marth require some really fast dash dance, pivot or double jump desynchs to create openings and I am only about 50% consistent with them in high pressure situations.

Things I am confident in / good at
  • Spacing in general, I feel like I am able to predict movement and attacks with enough accuracy that my attacks are placed where they should be a good percentage of the time.
  • Recovery, I feel like I mix up my recovery, use them accurately, space them nearly perfect, and choose the correct recovery for the situation almost always, this is probably where I feel strongest and it gives me a lot of opportunities for extra damage. DI should be mentioned here as well and I think my DI is pretty good, actually most peoples DIs are really good in Oregon.
  • Movement - while I have some areas to improve in I feel like I mix up dashing, walking, dashing into shield, wavedashes of various lengths, short hops, and wavelands of various lengths down pretty well.
  • Tech chasing, I feel like my tech chase game with Ice Climbers is really good, I feel like I know the spacings and tech timings of most characters their options out of techs, my options after throws at various DIs and how to cover multiple options at once to avoid guesswork.

If anyone else has any other areas that you feel like my play is strong and I should abuse more, or areas where you feel my play is weak(especially specific situations) I would love to hear them so I can improve. I really want to take this game as seriously as I have time for and I hope enough other people do as well so we can really get good at this game.

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
I think I should be more afraid of getting in close to you. By that I mean make more moves that lead into grabs. You could be punishing me so well with grabs to the point that I don't want to ever go in at all. That's just what I noticed from our tournament set though. I was more focused on how your playstyle affected me than you. If you want to, I'm meeting up with cauterize to practice against his ice climbers on thursday. If you want to join in that could be arranged.

Binx

Smash Master
Thur I am busy from noon until 9 30pm, I'm free mon and wed after 2pm and all day friday saturday and sunday.

As for your comment about getting close, I do a lot of moves that lead into grabs like jabs dash attacks, upsmashes at certain percents, fairs sometimes if not DI'd down and dairs mostly are moves that can lead into grabs. The thing about all of those moves is they are risky in some ways and so I can't overuse them, its much safer to not attack or to wait for an opportunity to punish after a jump or read a roll straight into a grab or space a bair or just do a bait of some sort and punish your reaction than it is to throw out a move.

Not to say that I never just rush in and go for a blind grab, or a semi risky dash attack but you can't just "do more moves that lead into grabs" you need to have a reason to believe those moves will connect, which I am pretty patient about, I do miss some opportunities but I also create others and avoid getting hit more than many other people.

But yeah my punishes are not what they should be, when I do get grabs I should be getting kills ~70 percent of the time or doing a TON of damage, I probably get kills 40-50% of the time and do only moderately high damage otherwise. If my punishes were better it would also lead to people playing safer against me which would lead to more grabs in and of itself because I could assume they were not going to attack me in more situations due to fear of being punished.

cmin

Smash Ace
justin smash wendy's your house baby fat dishwashers

also yugo i got your 5 bucks, sorry man. im good for it. i'll be back this week probably

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
I also realized I live in Portland now and can smash with people. Anyone who wants to pick me and play I'd most likely be down
If you are back over by concordia. My Girlfriend lives on 31st and Holman. I stay there 6.80 nights of the week. We should probably start playing a lot... Even if it is only for little periods of time. If you are over there again, it is so close I can just walk over.

Juce

Smash Ace
well then... maybe i'll clean up if so many people are going to come. i'm fine with people staying till like 12. but if everyone or most people are staying late, i may just passout early and let you guys find your way out later in the night.

Juce

Smash Ace
22755 sw cochran dr
sherwood OR, 97140

it's probably a 30 minhute drive from where you're cominh from. one way that is.

and anyone can start showing up, now that i'm home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom