• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Sonic Matchup Thread (The First Step)

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
So I guess we need to get the ball rolling on a new thread, huh?

The Sonic the Hedgehog Community Matchup Discussion Thread

May provide picture of chart if I lrn2Photoshop soon

The purpose of this thread is to provide an up-to-date view on the 37 matchups a Sonic player could encounter in a tournament setting, as laid out by the Sonic players themselves, and the players of other characters. This includes character strengths, weaknesses, a character's effectiveness in a neutral position, possible counterpick stages and bans, among many other things. In order to achieve an optimal understanding of his matchups, and a maximum advancement of the Sonic metagame through his matchups, an honest contribution by everyone, Sonic main or otherwise, is requested.

List of Characters as ordered in Tier List v6

God:

:metaknight: - -2/-1 - http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=318850

Top:

:diddy:
:snake:
:falco:

:marth:
:wario:
:popo:
:olimar:
:pikachu2:

High:

:lucario:
:dedede:
:zerosuitsamus:
:gw:
:toonlink:

Middle:

:fox:
:wolf:
:peach:

:dk2:
:kirby2:
:rob:
:pit:
:sonic:

:ike:
:sheilda:
:luigi2:
:sheik:
:ness2:
:yoshi2:
:pt:

Low:

:lucas:
:mario2:
:bowser2:
:samus2:
:falcon:

:link2:
:jigglypuff:
:zelda:
:ganondorf:

Discussion areas will be linked next to the respective character as we go through each one. Summarizations of the matchup may also be provided on this post as well.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
-reserved if needed-

So, does anyone have any qualms with this? Any ideas on how to liven it up, or organize it? Should I make thread exports, or just keep everything contained in this thread?

Any suggestions are welcome.

BSP

Smash Legend
Can't hurt IMO. I'll give my opinions on MUs I think I have decent exp. in.

:phone:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I guess the best way to go would be to make export threads. It would attract mains of certain characters if they see a thread directed toward that character being headlined from the character discussion listing.

I guess we could go down the tier list, one by one? Or should we go over Sonic's toughest matchups as listed in the MU chart first, and then go over the easier ones?

:phone:

Tesh

Smash Hero
Might as well discuss the most common characters/matchups first.

Brawlman1000

Smash Ace
NNID
Bman1K
3DS FC
2981-7986-9482
Hmm, wouldn't it be better to start with Sonic's worst MUs first and then work our way to his better MUs? We should start with his bad ones first since they are the ones really holding us back.

SoupaSonic

Smash Journeyman
I think that they want to start with the more common matchups because of the fact that they are exactly that, more common. You'll probably see more diddy and snake running around than Lucario in most tournies. and by going down the tier list we'll be able to talk about most of our bad matchups kinda early anyways, like falco and oli i guess (I heard it was bad, dat pivot grab)

Life

Smash Hero
I wouldn't mind seeing Olimar again, although didn't we just go over that one?...

Falco or Diddy to start IMO. Both difficult matchups that are going to be common with MK gone. Then maybe we can swing down and pick up Lucario and/or Olimar, then hit Snake and Climbers...

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
Well when are we going to start discussing a MU? i mean we can sit here and fill this thread with post after post of what MU's to do or actually start discussing. I'd personally like to discuss more Obscure MU's ones that you probably won't encounter as it's those MUs that when people encounter someone whos good with that character they get overwhelmed with and lose due to It being so rare.

But i say we start with Fox

MeekSpeedy

Smash Ace
I say we should start in some sort of order. Either by tier list, or alphabetically. A bunch of different ppl wanna discuss different match ups, ones that they're either knowledgeable and want to share their knowledge with others, OR ones that they'd like to receive help with. If we do it by a set order, it'll avoid confusion and have some sense of formality, I guess. I probably won't put much on here anyways, since I hardly look @ Sonic boards.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Yeah, sorry about that. I've had to work on a midterm and two book reports the entire week and haven't had a lot of time to do anything beyond browsing. After Wednesday I'll be back on regular schedule.

I can try to get one thread set up though. So MK/Olimar/Diddy/Fox it is?

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
I also suggest we discuss the Link MU. Simply because i feel it's not as easy as people think. Along with The IC's MU, us sonics tend to suffer alot not being able to approach and worry bout CG's.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I'll get Meta Knight and Diddy matchup thread exports up by tomorrow evening then, since I finally got a break from papers and whatnot.

XLR8TION

Smash Ace
NNID
XLR8TION
3DS FC
4399-0465-6002
So yea, mk is pretty much done. How about that diddy?

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Says a lot about my extreme apathy in general as of late that I let this thread go down.

I'll have a Diddy thread up by tomorrow evening.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Meta Knight's Export Thread has been compiled and linked in the first post. The Diddy Kong thread is now up.

I'll create the Snake thread within the next two weeks.

Also, since the next tier list is due to be out sometime before May, I was thinking we would go through that tier list order, since I've only made 2 exports as of now. Is everyone ok with that?

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I'll have an Olimar Matchup thread up by tomorrow night.

Should be a fun one, since it's been contested either to be one of Sonic's worst, or another of his evens.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Sonic vs. Olimar is pretty solidly a -2. Having said that, it's probably also his easiest -2 (Lucario, MK). :applejack:

Tesh

Smash Hero
Lol its not even. Its a struggle to in and once you do, his Jab is still better than ours.

Top Bottom