• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Scottish Thread!

Mr P

Smash Ace
Yes i am game to play sometime but i've talked a little to paul about the issues already. I'm in Aberdeen which is about 130 miles from Edinburgh and 150 from Glasgow, travelling that distance for a smashfest is more than the distance that most people will go to for a national but i am up for doing that if i have the time. I'm back in Perth in the summer which will make things easier.

If you guys want to create something resembling a scene in this country then i think it can be done.

- Keep posting in this thread and keep it active, when people see activity in this thread it generates interest and hype, even if it is only a small smashfest mention it in here.

- Record videos if and when you can and post them in here, when people know that others are playing and are able to see recorded matches it get's them interested too. I have a recording setup and i think you guys in edinburgh do to ?

- If at all possible if someone could it would be great to have small localised (scottish) mini tournament style smashfests, this would bring some of the outlying inactive players out of the woodwork. Under the right circumstances i'm sure people like my brother, ryan allan, david and kieran if i talked to him would attend these sort of events. Then there's also other's like yuichi who i haven't heard from in a while.

- With all of this in place the skill level of everyone would improve exponentially, the community is capable of growing it just needs the right conditions for things to happen. I saw the results of the OOc tournie 9th and two 17th's is pretty good all things considered but Scotland could easily rival London in skill if it wanted to.

- I was looking at the Norway tournament and i'm interested in going if i have the funds/time etc for it, maybe this is something to aim for in the future ?

- Maybe having a facebook group is another way of keeping everyone notified of what going on ?

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
mini smashfests/ tournaments would be good and that was the line we were thinking of. main issue is a venue. Josh and Yujie's flat is better than mine for it as they don't live with their family. There isn't really anywhere good in Glasgow for this kind of thing, there is a Lan centre but they use only LCD screen TVs.

If we get the ball rolling with a beginning fest then we can go from there. Its my turn to go to edinburgh so we can perhaps work something around that.

Also a facebook group is a good shout and more covert :seuss:

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
I haven't touched the game in a long time but if some mini-smashfest was organised in Edinburgh or Glasgow I'd probably go. Edinburgh would be preferable. Can bring a setup and recording equipment if needed.

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
What about the Gamerbase in the city centre? Or Woodside Hall community centre?
Where are these 2 places? I admit I am pretty ignorant about gaming venues, despite suggesting not to be in my last post haha

Seikend- good to hear mate, are you of the brawl melee or both persuasion?

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
scotland is the only hope I have left for a region to rival london ;p

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
Where are these 2 places? I admit I am pretty ignorant about gaming venues, despite suggesting not to be in my last post haha

Seikend- good to hear mate, are you of the brawl melee or both persuasion?
Melee.Open to playing Brawl but I'm pri sure most of us play Melee.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Nothing ever rivals London, you will only ever rival our inferior henchmen while us superior ones watch over the brawl (fighting brawl, not brawl) in glee of our dominance.

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
Gamerbase is on the top floor of HMV in Buchanan Street (between JD Sports and TopMan) right near Buchanan Galleries/Royal Concert Hall. Woodside Hall is like 2 roads away from St George's Cross underground station.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Scots: Aiko used to run good events using Gamerbase as a venue. The only problem is the TVs lag. :/ The community center is probably your best bet.

Not really, South East is where I currently reside you little ****.
Oh wow, one good player in an entire region!

ShiftingShadows28

Smash Journeyman
Nothing ever rivals London, you will only ever rival our inferior henchmen while us superior ones watch over the brawl (fighting brawl, not brawl) in glee of our dominance.
This is lies and you know it fool.

Yujie and I used to run fairly regular fests simply using a student society room, we have 4 crts in our flat.

@Jack: yea they were good and i learned alot from them. Ive actually always been decent against sheik ;P

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
I'm in Edinburgh at the moment. I've got applications for Uni next year all over the place though, so no idea where I'll be then.

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
I'll be there mate, probably around 2-3 if Im being realistic. Looman said he's game too, though he also told me he will post to confirm

Seikend you should come, would be good to play you!

someone mention to Jalued

fortunecookie

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys im good for saturday im going out sat night too but shud get a good 5 to 6 hours in :). If seikend and looman coming over could one of you two bring a gc and melee disc so that everyone can be playing at once :)

:phone:

Mr P

Smash Ace
I got a cheap rail voucher from sainsbury so i can get a return train to anywhere in the country for £19, maybe i can get more ? Not sure about this weekend, i'd like to come if you can organise something where quite a lot of people can go rather than a small event. I dont know how many people you are willing to host but the more the better for me i guess, i just want the trip to be worthwhile.

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
I could probably be there for around 1pm if that's cool with you. What bus number takes you near your flat from the city centre again?

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
Good session on Saturday. Yuichi you seem to have a good understanding of the game, just need more experience! Play josh and yujie as often as you can :) Yujie if you learn every matchup to the degree you know the Fox Falcon one you will be a force. Josh great dittos as always, Ed stick to marth k kl

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
unfortunately not, Josh and Yujies recording equipment doesn't work and my camera can only record like 30 minutes at a time so it would've been pointless :confused:

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
nice one dawg. I'm playing this new guy next week apparently. Gonna be pretty amazing, I'll see if he wants to go to fests etc. blah

jalued

Smash Lord
Soo, we should have a smashfest again soon. I have 1 tv, but not really enough room at my place for people to meet. I'll bring along PM after the 15th if people want to give it a go, hopefully I can find a lag free, NTSC compatable TV so that we can play it in colour. My mum has one, but she had a fire recently so the TV is soot damaged and won't be ready for another month. Been working on my marth still, he's fun :D

Had some ggs with josh and UJ few days ago, how did the new guy do btw? (I'm terrible with names, no idea what he is called)

jalued

Smash Lord
Soo, we should have a smashfest again soon. I have 1 tv, but not really enough room at my place for people to meet. I'll bring along PM after the 15th if people want to give it a go, hopefully I can find a lag free, NTSC compatable TV so that we can play it in colour. My mum has one, but she had a fire recently so the TV is soot damaged and won't be ready for another month. Been working on my marth still, he's fun :D

Had some ggs with josh and UJ few days ago, how did the new guy do btw? (I'm terrible with names, no idea what he is called)
edit:

Anyone in scotland able to play in the next few days?????

FranK

Smash Rookie
I'm kind of new to SSBB (competitively) and just wondered if there was any smash scene at all in Edinburgh, never heard of any tourneys or anything going on just wondered if anyone knew of anything going on. Would be awesome if their was as no-one i know likes SSB so I'm limited to wifi at the moment.

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
Yo FranK, not sure about brawl to be honest mate I only know of melee players- however I'll let the edinburgh guys know you posted here.

Haven't played the new guy yet, I don't know his name either, just some guy who apparently has won tournaments in Glasgow that a friend of mine knows, and they think its going to be an amazing battle... gonna be funny

FranK

Smash Rookie
Cheers man it'd be nice to play some people for a change, never played melee before though i'll have a wee look for a copy when i get the chance might just have to ebay it, so is their a fairly active melee community in Edinburgh then?

Top Bottom