• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The new Ridley for SSBB thread =-Version 3.0-=

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonink

Smash Journeyman
Still no sign of Ridley as a playable character yet, it almost makes me want to go emo, as for the guys insulting chuck norris, run and hide in your closet as Chuck norris can smell insults from a million miles away. so be warned and have a nice day. But anyway, Ridley as a playable character will hopefully be revealed soon. since all characters after snake will be surprises so watch for ridley.
I can't imagine them revealing characters as important as Ridley until after the game is released.

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Yhea but Sakurai said he would reveal secrets before the games release...

Chuck norris sucks! *Kung foo kicks chuck norris*

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Why do people keep saying OWNED? By that? it doesn't de confirm him in anyway.

And there could be a lot of other Olimar bosses...

Ridley 4 brawl.

axemangx

Smash Champion
Tazmily Village, Currently Maining: Lucas and Didd
Sorry, I had to get that out of my system. I had to get that out after what that guy said. Besides, I was living to my promise :p

Also, this pretty much deconfirms Tingle anyways. First of all, if he was going to be playable character, wouldnt Sakurai not put him in that picture? He would be basicly telling there could be Tingle. As much as a chance he had, he'd look pretty awkward in Brawl and such.

Anyways, Ridley for Brawl.

Hes still alive guys.

Aphotik

Smash Apprentice
Ok first of all, if Ridley is going to be in Smash, he should be updated to look like he does in Corruption.

And, from the movesets I've seen, I'm not really feeling like Ridley has many good moves. Instead of using his claws or his tail for the special moves, I'd rather see him use his kinetic breath move that shoots out a straight beam of energy. His tail and his claws could be used as smash attacks. I haven't played Corruption yet, so I've only seen the moves he uses in Prime. I like the idea of using his wings to create wind and blow the other characters away. His wings are big enough to do just that. That could be his side special. Down Special could be a tail spin where he spins his tail and trips anyone near him. Up Special could be where he covers himself in his wings like a cape and juts upward then releases his wings. The wings would hit anyone in range.

So yeah, there's a moveset I'd like to see. As long as they come up with a decent moveset, I'm all for Ridley for Brawl.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
As if they won't. The folks at Nintendo will deliver if they so choose to. People gotta stop thinking the devs might screw up just because they can't picture a good Ridley moveset themselves.

And I got a pro-playable Ridley argument brewing up in my head regarding people's opinion of Ridley being boss-only. Maybe I should practice it here....

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Down Special could be a tail spin where he spins his tail and trips anyone near him.
Luckily, that's one of his moves in Corruption (that, and he uses fire breath at the same time). :)

Just thought I'd point that out for some reason. >.>

Other than that though, yeah. Good ideas.

And I got a pro-playable Ridley argument brewing up in my head regarding people's opinion of Ridley being boss-only. Maybe I should practice it here....
Hmm. Sure. Why not?

Legolastom

Smash Hero
He wont be i mean you dont see Samus looking like that and he would look ugly if he looked like he did in Prime 3.

His claws and tails are his signature attacks... his plasma beam can be used for stuff but his tail and claws are the main point.

Aphotik

Smash Apprentice
As if they won't. The folks at Nintendo will deliver if they so choose to. People gotta stop thinking the devs might screw up just because they can't picture a good Ridley moveset themselves.
I'm not doubting Nintendo for creating a good moveset for Ridley so much as I am doubting the people here at the boards for thinking of movesets that make me unexcited for a Ridley character reveal. I'm sure Nintendo will pull out all the glitter when it comes to Brawl.

Lagolastom said:
He wont be i mean you dont see Samus looking like that and he would look ugly if he looked like he did in Prime 3.

His claws and tails are his signature attacks... his plasma beam can be used for stuff but his tail and claws are the main point.
If they put him in as a purple dragon in Brawl, then I seriously don't want him in Brawl at all. But that's just the way I feel. Give him some kind of update, just don't leave him a purple dragon. O.o

And like I said, his tail and claws can still have a part in his attacks. Just make them smash attacks and ariel attacks. It's not too much to ask that he uses his wings and breath attack for a few attacks.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Ugly? He'd look badass. Omega Ridley was the pimp.

But yeah. I doubt either of his MP3 incarnations will be included. If anything, they may just include the Zero Mission version of Ridley. Hence 'Zero' Suit Samus.

I'm fine with that though. As long as he's playable in some shape or form.

Legolastom

Smash Hero
I mean imagine his MP3 forms in Brawl... they would look ugly they suit their roles much better in MP3 than in Brawl.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I've never really cared for Zero Missions Ridley actually. He looks too big, and I think it's the GBA renditions of Ridley that spark so much of these "too big" arguments. Those forms seems to almost dwarf Super Metroid's Ridley (well not really, but still...).

As for Omega Ridley, I think it could actually work, but then again, we can't be sure Sakurai even saw this new form of Ridley in time to do anything about it.

Aphotik

Smash Apprentice
I've never really cared for Zero Missions Ridley actually. He looks too big, and I think it's the GBA renditions of Ridley that spark so much of these "too big" arguments. Those forms seems to almost dwarf Super Metroid's Ridley (well not really, but still...).

As for Omega Ridley, I think it could actually work, but then again, we can't be sure Sakurai even saw this new form of Ridley in time to do anything about it.
And anyway, Omega Ridley would be a good final smash, no? But I suppose he could be a character also. I wish people would stop crapping all over the topic about Ridley's size. It's not an issue. Do I even need to pull out Charizard as an example?

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Sorry, I had to get that out of my system. I had to get that out after what that guy said. Besides, I was living to my promise :p

Also, this pretty much deconfirms Tingle anyways. First of all, if he was going to be playable character, wouldnt Sakurai not put him in that picture? He would be basicly telling there could be Tingle. As much as a chance he had, he'd look pretty awkward in Brawl and such.

Anyways, Ridley for Brawl.

Hes still alive guys.
ORLY? Do you know Sakurai personally to know he'd never do such a thing? Really, if I recall correctly he's been putting Snake and Metaknight in pictures and vids before technically confirming them and giving them their profiles on smashbros.com. :p It only adds to the surprise because everyone and their cat thinks he's been deconfirmed.
Hm, I'm having deja-vu... oh wait.
Until Tingle is confirmed as a stage hazard, an AT or is directly deconfirmed by Sakurai's mouth (or fingers in this case) he's still a possibility.

Ridley is in or this dragon-girl kicks someone's ***. Going on to the moveset arguement, I'd rather if Ridley doesn't focus just on his tails and claws but it shows his entire character if you know what I mean. :3
I'd hope Ridley would have his corruption look, but since Samus is not having her look from that game I'd assume we're seeing an older version of him. :/

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Well in any case, here goes my argumentive points regarding Ridley and people's opinion's about him being boss-only instead of playable.

From what I've read, people tend to say this when they think or say they'd rather see Ridley boss only:

1. Obviously there's the "He's too big to be playable".
    2. There's a lot more potential in him being a boss rather than being playable
    3. He doesn't have enough moves to be playable, so a boss would make more sense
    4. He'd lose his "cool factor" if he was playable (most likely due to being resized)
    5. If he was playable, he'd either be overpowered or underpowered
    6. If he was playable, he'd become another Mewtwo (bottom-tier)

Now if there are any other pro-boss only arguments I didn't list, somebody tell me, 'cause I could probably counter that one as well.

Now for each point:
    1. Well this one's obvious; Ridley can be resized. Old argument. Won't touch on that much.
    2. This one is one of the biggest pro-boss only points, and I find it ridiculous that people think Ridley would actually gain MORE from being reduced to a boss. My points against this is that Ridley, in all his time being a video game character, has ONLY been a boss. What's going to be so different by making him a boss in a different game?

I think some folks got it in their head that Ridley, because he's awesome, is going to get special treatment if he's a boss. I believe people think he'd be on the same level as Master/Crazy Hand or Giga Bowser if he was a boss. I can't believe that at all. First of all, M/C Hand is a FINAL boss, not a normal boss. Ridley would not recieve the same prestige; Far from it. Ridley would most likely receive the same treatment as....yep...Petey Pirahna. From what can be garnered from the updates, it's doubtful Petey will have a lot of moves to use. What makes Ridley so special? He may be special to his fans, but we've already seen that in the Subspace Emissary story, that may mean squat.

Now what if Ridley gets a bigger role and actually gets to keep his identity in the story? Most likely, he'll have an "epic" showdown against Samus as part of the story.
      ....but haven't we've been down that road already? Where's the great potential in all of this?

My point is this: If Ridley does become boss-only, we're probably not going to see any thing we haven't already seen with him. That's not used potential. That's wasted potential.

But maybe Sakurai WOULD do something special! So what? Ridley would only exist in the SE adventure mode...and MAYBE another mode or 2. That's nothing compared to PCs, who participate in ALL modes. It's nothing compared to having an entire game designed so a character can exist. That's the legacy of a playable character; the game world exists for them to interact. I'd rather have Ridley be a participant of the world, not just another part of it.
    3. Who's to say Ridley won't have enough moves? People have already shown through their own created movesets that it's well possible for Ridley to fight respectably in Brawl. If those weren't enough to convince somebody though, then let the developers come up with something. We've seen what crazy, non-canon stuff they'll come up with. I'm sure they can do the same with Ridley, and I'm sure they won't be stupid about it either. I say don't worry.
    4. This is a matter of pure opinion and speculation. If somebody thinks it's wrong to make Ridley a bit smaller so he can fit into Brawl, that's their problem. Others would disagree. If somebody thinks Ridley's "cool factor" would diminish, that's just speculation. We don't know how Ridley would turn out if he get's in. For all we know, the devs may get it right and please the fans. They could also botch up and produce an ugly rendition. I'm willing to take the risk though if it means I actually get to control one of my favorite video game characters.
    5. Pure total speculation here. We have no clue or no way to tell WHO in brawl is going to be too strong or too weak, so why let that influence an opinion? All I do know is that Brawl is probably not going to end up like Melee, tier-wise. This isn't based off what I've seen in the updates, but from the knowledge of Melee being pretty rushed, resulting in lousy balance. I choose to doubt that this will happen again, so why factor it in at all?
    6. People are so afraid of Ridley becoming the next Mewtwo...and there's no good reason for it. Mewtwo was an unfortunate victim of rushing. All signs point to Melee not having enough testing, and he's one of them. I'll assume there's also the thought that the more awesome and unusual the character, the more likely they'll receive the "Mewtwo treatment". It's all a silly, baseless claim, frankly. However Ridley would turn out, we would never know if the developers used such presumptious thinking and gave up on him before they even tried. Let them try if they want. Ridley just may turn out better than predicted.

And those are my counter points.

Aphotik

Smash Apprentice
People bring up crap about Ridley because they don't want him to be in. There's absolutely no reason why he can't be a PC. Just because some people don't want him to be in does not set the base for a legitimate reason for him to not actually be in. If that makes sense. :p

And yes Omega Ridley does look cool. :D

I still like Dark Samus though. ^_^

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
People bring up crap about Ridley because they don't want him to be in. There's absolutely no reason why he can't be a PC. Just because some people don't want him to be in does not set the base for a legitimate reason for him to not actually be in. If that makes sense. :p
That's nice, but I'm talking about people, including Ridley fans, who'd rather have Ridley as a boss only. There are people who do like Ridley, but are too concerned that he'll receive a bad representation by being playable, and thus want to "keep all of his awesomeness" by restricting him to a boss-only role.

Aphotik

Smash Apprentice
That's nice, but I'm talking about people, including Ridley fans, who'd rather have Ridley as a boss only. There are people who do like Ridley, but are too concerned that he'll receive a bad representation by being playable, and thus want to "keep all of his awesomeness" by restricting him to a boss-only role.
And that's why I agree with everything you said in your previous post. :)

Like you said, having him as a boss will only feed us more Ridley Boss stuff that we've already seen countless times. Having him as a PC gives us a chance to see what he's really all about.

Besides, it's really Ridley or Dark Samus that is going to make the cut. It's gauranteed that at least one more Metroid rep is going to make it, and since inspiration seems to be coming from a source other than the Prime games, all signs point to Ridley. Unless of course they pull out the bounty hunters, but that seems extremely unlikely when you already have two perfect villains ready to Brawl.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I mean imagine his MP3 forms in Brawl... they would look ugly they suit their roles much better in MP3 than in Brawl.
Meh. I suppose...

Heh. Yeah...

Call me crazy, but I actually like Super Metroid's Ridley best (as far as the 2-D side-scrollers go). Not too big or anything.
Plus, the sounds he made in Super Metroid was kinda cute. :p In Zero Mission & Fusion on the other hand, he sounded like... I don't know how to put it exactly >_<, but his screeches in those games sounded kinda disturbing in a way.

Agreed (about Omega Ridley), though it seems Sakurai hasn't really been paying attention to the Prime series at all. If he was, he would've used the Prime model of Samus' Varia Suit. Plus, both of the previous SSB games focused only on Ridley's Super Metroid look (being a purple dragon not much taller than a head above Samus).

And anyway, Omega Ridley would be a good final smash, no?
I concur. Both Omega and Meta would work well as a final smash (they had Giga Bowser as Bowser's final smash, so why not?).

I still like Dark Samus though. ^_^
Agreed. DS would work too.

Anyhow, nice post Anomilus (on the previous page).

And about the "he would be too powerful if he were playable" crapola. If that were true, then I guess Samus would also be too powerful since she's defeated Ridley pretty much every time they meet. Oh, wait. She's already confirmed playable. :laugh:
Yeah... Saying he'd be too powerful is basically just contradicting yourself (unless someone's really dumb enough to think Samus should be a boss or something).

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Yeah, Ridley is a badass sonuva***** in Metroid as a boss and would be a badass sonuva***** in Brawl as a boss as well and should stay a badass sonuva***** but he's MY sonuva***** and I plan to main that badassery! :grrr:

... I think I'm PMSy today.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Call me crazy, but I actually like Super Metroid's Ridley best (as far as the 2-D side-scrollers go). Not too big or anything.
Agreed. It may be an older version, but personally I think it's the best. It keeps Ridley ferocious and alien without being exaggerated. I do think his head could be a smidge smaller or not as long, but height-wise he's perfect (not for brawl, but for Ridley himself).

It's a shame to...as some people make it sound as if he belongs among the group of huge bosses when Ridley's medium-sized at best. There are several larger bosses than Ridley.

Plus, the sounds he made in Super Metroid was kinda cute. :p In Zero Mission & Fusion on the other hand, he sounded like... I don't know how to put it exactly >_<, but his screeches in those games sounded kinda disturbing in a way.
I wouldn't call it cute.....but more appropiate than those screeches. I have to admit I did like how loud and freaky fusion's Ridley sounded, but in retrospect it probably bugs the daylights out of people....and anybody else nearby who has to hear it.

Agreed (about Omega Ridley), though it seems Sakurai hasn't really been paying attention to the Prime series at all. If he was, he would've used the Prime model of Samus' Varia Suit. Plus, both of the previous SSB games focused only on Ridley's Super Metroid look (being a purple dragon not much taller than a head above Samus).
What do you mean? Brawl Samus IS the Prime Varia Suit model.

...or at least a variant of it. I hope you don't mean the REAL Prime model, 'cause that's way too many polygons for Smash. But compared to Melee Samus, and you can see the changes originally ministered by the Prime series. So it can't be said Sakurai isn't paying attention to the Prime series. Now as to how much influence the series will have on Brawl, that's yet to be seen, but I hope some elements do make it in.

Seriously though, anything will do, 'cause Metroid is still vastly underrepresented. As of Melee, we got Samus, two Brinstar stages, Kraid, Torizo, a Metroid trophy, a Gunship trophy, a no-helmet Samus trophy (promo only), a homage to the escape sequences, and the Screw Attack item....not to mention a 4-second Ridley cameo. Compared to other series though, that's way too low. The fact that I can easily list ALL of Metroid's tributes to Smash Bros. is evidence of this. I mean on its own it's a large list, and it would of been great for SSB64...

But as of Brawl, we got Zero-Suit Samus and Ridley's theme as new additions. That's it. Not enough. Need more representation, plz.

Bizarrely enough, another underrepresented series is Kirby, which Sakurai himself created. I know the guy's modest, but I think he's letting his hesitance blind him from the fact that his own series also has fans who want Kirby to be properly represented. I'm one of those fans!

Anyhow, nice post Anomilus (on the previous page).

And about the "he would be too powerful if he were playable" crapola. If that were true, then I guess Samus would also be too powerful since she's defeated Ridley pretty much every time they meet. Oh, wait. She's already confirmed playable. :laugh:
Yeah... Saying he'd be too powerful is basically just contradicting yourself (unless someone's really dumb enough to think Samus should be a boss or something).
Truth! I don't believe I've heard that before. I'll make sure to use that point as well! Thanks! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom