• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Phantom Thief of Persona 5 The Royal - Kasumi Yoshizawa/"Jane"

amageish

Smash Master
For those who care, Tokyo Mirage Session #FE Encore is confirmed to be based on the international version of the game - even in Japan.

If you need me, I'll be hiding in a corner from the brigade of debates about censorship...

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
For those who care, Tokyo Mirage Session #FE Encore is confirmed to be based on the international version of the game - even in Japan.

If you need me, I'll be hiding in a corner from the brigade of debates about censorship...
What was the differences?

amageish

Smash Master
What was the differences?
To speak in incredibly broad terms: less sexual content (censored cleavage, present pelvic bones, no swimsuit outfits etc.). There also was a scene focused on Tsubasa becoming a certain type of Japense erotic model in the Japanese version that was changed into being a regular model in the international version, involving multiple lines of dialogue and the costuming for a full photoset scene being changed.

Honestly, I found the censored version almost funnier? Like, they go from "I feel awkward about posing scantily clad," which seems like an understandable serious topic of discussion, to "Uh. What is a camera. Help," which is just funny. The game has a kind of absurd tone throughout, so the idea of Tsubasa ripping off her clothes to reveal an 80s street clothes outfit (as opposed to a bikini in the Japanese version) just adds to the absurdity for me. I'm guessing that may be the logic behind the changes being kept in the Japanese version this time around - it's just funny.

amageish

Smash Master
Also, hey, speaking of controversial ATLUS: Catherine Classic on PC is available as part of the Postmodern Humble Bundle.

I don't know if Catherine is especially postmodernist - I think you could argue the Rin route of Full Body has postmodern elements, but I think the original is just surrealist. That said, 15 USD for Catherine plus a lot of other games is a pretty decent deal!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It won't be too long now till P5R releases in Japan. I think this trailer is a good indicator of that.

What are you guys going to do when that fateful day comes?

amageish

Smash Master
It won't be too long now till P5R releases in Japan. I think this trailer is a good indicator of that.

What are you guys going to do when that fateful day comes?
I'm probably going to watch horror movies I guess? It's coming out on Halloween... Luigi's Mansion is also coming out then, but I don't think I'll get it on release...

I'll probably be busy watching gameplay of Cold Steel 3 since the English release is tomorrow
I still need to get through 2 before I get into 3... Hopefully it's enjoyable though!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I'm probably going to watch horror movies I guess? It's coming out on Halloween... Luigi's Mansion is also coming out then, but I don't think I'll get it on release...
Of course, it is Halloween. Guess I am kinda partially wondering how you guys are going to approach Kasumi speculation after the game drops in Japan, as I am sure there will be plenty of spoilers floating around.

amageish

Smash Master
Of course, it is Halloween. Guess I am kinda partially wondering how you guys are going to approach Kasumi speculation after the game drops in Japan, as I am sure there will be plenty of spoilers floating around.
Ahhhhhhhh, fair! I think I am going to try to stay spoiler-safe for a while, if only because I haven't really tried to do that with a high-profile JRPG before and it's a chance for a new experience. Whether or not I can last until 2020 without googling at least something... Well, who can say, really. I've never tried this before, so it'll be a new challenge.

I'm also going to assume we'll have a a controversy of some sort surrounding the game, as those two male characters who torment Ryuji will likely anger the left if they continue to appear and will likely anger the right if the are removed/censored out of the game... I'm planning on participating in whatever ****show that ends up being as little as possible.

What's your plan for this thread, EarlTamm?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Ahhhhhhhh, fair! I think I am going to try to stay spoiler-safe for a while, if only because I haven't really tried to do that with a high-profile JRPG before and it's a chance for a new experience. Whether or not I can last until 2020 without googling at least something... Well, who can say, really. I've never tried this before, so it'll be a new challenge.

I'm also going to assume we'll have a a controversy of some sort surrounding the game, as those two male characters who torment Ryuji will likely anger the left if they continue to appear and will likely anger the right if the are removed/censored out of the game... I'm planning on participating in whatever ****show that ends up being as little as possible.

What's your plan for this thread, EarlTamm?
Controversy is kinda inevitable no matter what, isn't it?

Well, I am going to stick around and see all the info that heads my way. I know I don't have the will to avoid spoilers for super long, and I don't even have a PS4 to play the game with, so spoilers don't matter to me. I will likely make sure that any P5R talk that comes out of Japan will be in spoilers though, as that just seems courteous.

amageish

Smash Master
New P5S trailer!

Looks cool. It seems to be an actual, like, sequel game with dialogue and JRPG-y sections. I was definitely expecting it to be more of a spin-off without any many JRPG elements. The fact the preorder DLC is P3/4 songs makes me think it may contain P3/4 characters in the base game though.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
New P5S trailer!

Looks cool. It seems to be an actual, like, sequel game with dialogue and JRPG-y sections. I was definitely expecting it to be more of a spin-off without any many JRPG elements. The fact the preorder DLC is P3/4 songs makes me think it may contain P3/4 characters in the base game though.
Yeah, I am thinking P3/4 characters arep pretty likely(Heck, matbe even P1/2, as there was a refrence to it). I am curious if this game takes place after base game P5 or Royal though.

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah, I am thinking P3/4 characters arep pretty likely(Heck, matbe even P1/2, as there was a refrence to it). I am curious if this game takes place after base game P5 or Royal though.
I've kind of replied to this in the Joker thread, but why not mention things here!

I've been up and down on P3/4 characters, as I'm starting to think that this game may already be one of the biggest Warriors IP crossovers without them, especially as Joker has his Wild Card abilities.... I have seen the Tweet about the colours and while it is obviously a reference, the Tweet putting them in the order of P1-5 makes it feel more meaningful to me? I don't think it was a tease, just a reference. Also, canonically, the P1/2 cast must be in their 40s by now, I think...

ATLUS has split their timelines before, but I don't think they would ever risk making a spin-off game non-canon. These are the people who made three dancing games canon, one of which even features you saving the world from a destructive God with the power of dance. They don't cut canon corners.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Here is some new key art that I found interesting.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

I know it has been said before, but Kasumi really is a big part of Royal and its marketing. People seem to be really worried about possible implied love interest elements though, which this art certainly doesn't help with.

Edit:
Well, at least we know they are purposefully hiding it.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
atlus digging in with this marketing for royal's launch tonight

1572449972184.png

the OST is also trickling in slowly on youtube

(i will say that having read plot details i'm considerably less optimistic about kasumi's smash prospects, but i won't go anywhere close to that stuff in unmarked spoiler territory)

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
atlus digging in with this marketing for royal's launch tonight

View attachment 243938

the OST is also trickling in slowly on youtube

(i will say that having read plot details i'm considerably less optimistic about kasumi's smash prospects, but i won't go anywhere close to that stuff in unmarked spoiler territory)
Where could I read about this stuff? I am not avoiding spoilers, so I am curious to read about the plot.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Where could I read about this stuff? I am not avoiding spoilers, so I am curious to read about the plot.
in summary, in a mix between speculation and what we know from translated livestreams:
  • In a new line of dialogue, Sojiro mentions to Joker when they're stuck in traffic at the start that a 15-year old girl died the previous month in a traffic accident. Either this is a massive red herring, or the implications (being a new line) are extremely obvious.
  • Maruki, the counsellor, shows up after Kamoshida's palace and has an auto-advancing confidant. He asks Ann what her greatest wish would be (to which she responds that she wishes the Kamoshida incidents had never happened to her or Shiho, just as we've seen in the third semester content).
  • Kasumi tells Joker that she knows Maruki from her previous school, and that he's "always looked out for her". Maruki later tells Joker in his own consultation that he's been experimenting with science related to cognition and the changing of cognitions. He doesn't go all the way and say 'changing reality', but it sounds very close to what Yaldabaoth does with 'removing' the Thieves from reality by plucking them from the public's cognition.
  • Kasumi as Joker knows her is likely a cognitive reconstruction of the real person made by Maruki, perhaps as an earnest attempt to 'save' her life. The way he's being built seems to suggest a more sympathetic antagonist overall, though it's equally likely they might just go be lazy and go cackling villain. I've read (but not confirmed) that the final palace is Heaven, which (P4 flashbacks aside) implies 'playing god' with reality.
  • Late game details are sketchier, but Akechi just straight up survives Shido's palace and cheers the Thieves on at Christmas.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
in summary, in a mix between speculation and what we know from translated livestreams:
  • In a new line of dialogue, Sojiro mentions to Joker when they're stuck in traffic at the start that a 15-year old girl died the previous month in a traffic accident. Either this is a massive red herring, or the implications (being a new line) are extremely obvious.
  • Maruki, the counsellor, shows up after Kamoshida's palace and has an auto-advancing confidant. He asks Ann what her greatest wish would be (to which she responds that she wishes the Kamoshida incidents had never happened to her or Shiho, just as we've seen in the third semester content).
  • Kasumi tells Joker that she knows Maruki from her previous school, and that he's "always looked out for her". Maruki later tells Joker in his own consultation that he's been experimenting with science related to cognition and the changing of cognitions. He doesn't go all the way and say 'changing reality', but it sounds very close to what Yaldabaoth does with 'removing' the Thieves from reality by plucking them from the public's cognition.
  • Kasumi as Joker knows her is likely a cognitive reconstruction of the real person made by Maruki, perhaps as an earnest attempt to 'save' her life. The way he's being built seems to suggest a more sympathetic antagonist overall, though it's equally likely they might just go be lazy and go cackling villain. I've read (but not confirmed) that the final palace is Heaven, which (P4 flashbacks aside) implies 'playing god' with reality.
  • Late game details are sketchier, but Akechi just straight up survives Shido's palace and cheers the Thieves on at Christmas.
  • Atlus has used that red herring before(In P5 no less), but that is still rather eyebrow raising.
  • Yeah, he's the cause. No surprise, considering he was setting red flags the moment he appeared in the trailers.
  • It's a twist on the same idea for sure.
  • What do you mean "Kasumi as Joker"? Anyway, I do hope he is at least well intentioned in the end, as that is more interesting.
  • How does that happen?

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
  • Atlus has used that red herring before(In P5 no less), but that is still rather eyebrow raising.
  • Yeah, he's the cause. No surprise, considering he was setting red flags the moment he appeared in the trailers.
  • It's a twist on the same idea for sure.
  • What do you mean "Kasumi as Joker"? Anyway, I do hope he is at least well intentioned in the end, as that is more interesting.
  • How does that happen?
What do you mean "Kasumi as Joker"?
clumsy way of saying "the version of kasumi that joker knows"
How does that happen?
unclear at present

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
clumsy way of saying "the version of kasumi that joker knows"

unclear at present
Thanks for the clarification. Funny how this idea was previously discussed before with the context of Akechi living through the wishes. Could still happen, but it would be kinda brazen to do that for both Akechi and Kasumi.

Now, what I am curious about is if Joker actually does die for a bit(As that was a theory discussed a lot here) and why you think the stuff going on with Kasumi right now makes her less likely.

D

Deleted member

Woah, that is a cool twist for the character of Kasumi.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I want a few specific spoilers for royal and nothing else. I want to know if Sae is a romance option, when Kasumi joins the party, and if Joker is alive in the end. If anyone who is not avoiding spoilers could just give me the answers to those questions that would be great.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Gonna drop this thread for a while until I catch up with spoilers. See you guys later then.

amageish

Smash Master
Well, it's been nice speculating with you all! I think I may vanish from this thread for a long while as to avoid the temptation of reading spoilers... See you all around!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Well, it's been nice speculating with you all! I think I may vanish from this thread for a long while as to avoid the temptation of reading spoilers... See you all around!
Same goes to you. Good luck on avoiding spoilers!

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
I just wanna know what her codename is
i can tell you what it seems to be from current gameplay (might still change and turn out to be something else as the third semester progresses) but i won't spoil the reasoning

it's "kasumi"

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
i can tell you what it seems to be from current gameplay (might still change and turn out to be something else as the third semester progresses) but i won't spoil the reasoning

it's "kasumi"
well that’s anti climatic... maybe it’ll change later

to be fair she was also called Kasumi in Star Ocean Anamnesis

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335

there's a solid reason for it but it's not something i'll post in a public thread where anyone can accidentally quote and read spoiler tags

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

Oh trust me, there is a very good reason for this. I am not even mad about this, because I know why her codename is also Kasumi.

Top Bottom