• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Console Debates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zink

Smash Champion
MS take over Nintendo? LOL! You overlook that there is more than one multibillion company in the world. Nintendo stated a while back they are in the business to make games and consoles. As a first party. I expect they have a bit of a suicide-before-surrender mentality.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Graphics vs Gameplay

Smart gamers choose gameplay.

Graphics stopped having a noticable influence on gameplay when the GCN, PS2, and XBox were release. The Wii doesn't have graphics as nice as the 360 or PS3, but it has great gameplay elements and graphics good enough make you forget that the 360 has beads of sweat. I've come to the conclusion that the more money and manpower you have working on building that unecessary, complicated background, or every skin cell in your face, the less people you have trying to break away from games that play exactly like the ones made before them.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Zink said:
I expect they have a bit of a suicide-before-surrender mentality.
Yea, well they are Japanese so it would make sense.

Meh, I am buying them all eventually.

zarbityugi

Smash Cadet
Crimson King said:
Yea, well they are Japanese so it would make sense.
Ouch.

Crimson King said:
Meh, I am buying them all eventually.
I hope to be able to own and play Halo3 to SSBBrawl (pretty good title) back-to-back. Those are really the only games I look forward to from the next consoles. yeah, twilight princess and metroid P 3 look great too, H3 and SSBB have previous titles that blew me away. LoZ:MM? alright. MP2? nothing compared to H2, but good in it's own, puzzle-solving way. If a sequel to star fox assault comes out, I will buy a copy just to burn it (in a fire, not a burner). what a bad attempt at a copy of halo... :mad:

Basically, I'm not too impressed with the libraries of any next-gen console just yet (retro games for Rev excluded). Time will tell what fate will bring.

EDIT: meant SFassault, not adventures. confused, for sure.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
360 has a some promising titles. Too Human comes to mind first. Wii's first batch of games looks to just be a way of showing off the new controller. PS3 has the standards with MGS4 sucking me in. ( I still need to play MGS3) But PC owns my soul until next June (maybe longer since Spore comes out in Feb)

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Bioshock also looks incredible. Gears of War is also supposed to be amazing, but I haven't seen anything about that yet.

Uncle Meat

Smash Champion
I Love Caps

The following statement disregaurds the Nintendo Wii:

GEARS OF WAR WILL BE THE BEST GAME EVER MADE GO WATCH THE GAMEPLAY ON IGN I LOVE EVERYONE!

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Also, Fox, if you missed my two posts on it, Feb 2007 is the earliest we can see Spore. Rejoice for we have freedom a little longer.

Pogiforce-14

Smash Cadet
zarbityugi said:
Ouch.
If a sequel to star fox adventures comes out, I will buy a copy just to burn it (in a fire, not a burner). what a bad attempt at a copy of halo... :mad:
You must be confused, because not only did a sequel to Adventures come out in Star Fox Assault, but Assault was the one that had Haloesque features.

Crimson King said:
Wii's first batch of games looks to just be a way of showing off the new controller.
It seems more to me that Wii's first batch of games are attempting to make full use of the Wiimote than to show it off, especially in the case of MP3, as apposed to The DS launching with games like Yoshi Touch and Go.

supermariopro101

Smash Journeyman
Pogiforce-14 said:
It seems more to me that Wii's first batch of games are attempting to make full use of the Wiimote than to show it off, especially in the case of MP3, as apposed to The DS launching with games like Yoshi Touch and Go.
Yeah, most games are going to future the Wii remote but like the DS third parties will learn when to use the Wii remote and when not to.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I just got my new PC estimate: $1800 for a pretty good system that will devour my current list of games. I didn't really like money anyway.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I'm going to wait to get a new PC until Vista comes out, so January at the earliest. So it looks like I won't be able to get Crysis right away, but I definitely will be picking that up. Very excited on the PC front for Crysis, Spore, Dark Messiah of Might & Magic and Flight Simulator X. Seeing as I don't buy PCs exclusively for games, as I'm usually not interested in the games on them, it's nice to be interested in some PC games.

Uncle Meat

Smash Champion
Crimson King said:
I just got my new PC estimate: $1800 for a pretty good system that will devour my current list of games. I didn't really like money anyway.
Who needs games plural? Spore is coming.

SmashBros.Guy

Smash Cadet
This maybe off topic of what you guys are talking about but it has to do with the war. I don't know why Sony made a mockup that could only move up, down, left, and right. Think about how unconfortable it is. All you need is a PS2 controller and try moving that up, down, left, and right. Then think of having space to move wherever and more space between hands if your useing the numchuck attachment. I would go with what the Wii has to offer. I don't know about you guys but I'm all about comfort. Now I'm not a Sony hater but come on. That's stealing. Can't Nintendo get a lawsuit or something?

I also like SSBB for the Wii. It seems that Nintendo has done something great making SSBB online and everything. I don't think Sony or Microsoft could make a game as good as SSBB. But that's my opinion and if I offended anyone. I'm not trying to.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I thought the controller only had motion for left-right tilting?

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
SmashBros.Guy, Sony did not steal directly from Nintendo. Yes, there's a very small possibility that if Nintendo hadn't made the Wiimote, Sony wouldn't have added that to their controller. However, see this. Of course Nintendo can't sue them.

And Mic, have you heard about the functionality of the nunchucku? That's about what the PS3 controller does. It can tilt left, right, forward, back, and move up and down (the "six motions" mentioned in their press conference). But the system doesn't know where the controller is in 3D space, like the Wiimote.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
It has 6-way direction tilting.

There are six axis of movement (described as "six degrees of movement" at the Sony pre-E3 conference). It understands roll, pitch and yaw, and "3-dimension acceleration information". You can move it around like a steering wheel, or like a Sit & Spin, or like you're shaking an Etch-A-Sketch, and you can even pull it up and down like you're ringing a bell. - IGN

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Oh okay, I thought it was just left and right, I only saw a brief snippet of the PS3 thing and saw them tilting it left and right, then with them going on about 6 directions of input I assumed was 2 tilts and the joystick.

Man, you suck even more than I thought Sony.

kaid

Smash Master
just read McFox's link....

Apparently, while Sony almost certantly added the tilt function in reaction the the Wiimote, but it's an almost exact copy of a 7 year old Logitech PC controller.

Incidently, the Logitech controller bombed.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Well, got Oblivion tonight and it runs actually pretty good on my laptop.

See you guys when Elder Scrolls V is announced.

SmashBros.Guy

Smash Cadet
Okay I wasn't being serious about sueing. I should have put and lol after it or someging. I didn't know that Sony stole that from logtech (or however you spell it). In a way it was stolen with the idea of motion that Nintendo first introduced. Not sueing or anything.

Anyways if you want to compare ways of comfort. All you need is a remote (or two) and a controller with two handles. The one with the two handles would be PS3 you could tilt it and do what the functions are. Then with the remote (or two) you can move it around freely like a sword or point and shoot like a gun. (the second one would do what the numbchuck attachment would do) There you compared the comfort. I've already done this and the Wii controller would win this one. However I can't be too sure because I would have to actually test the two out when the systems actually come out. When they do come out they would probably land around the same time or is the PS3 coming out in 2007. Some one correct me if I'm wrong. Looks like this consil war will go on for a long time and it will be bloody (no not real blood for the smart allics)

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Rumor: Nintendo Wii Was Not Playable At E3

orginial link:
http://www.dsrevolution.com/article.php?articleid=1117

Rumor: Nintendo Wii Was Not Playable At E3 --- May 19th 11:24 am CDT
posted by BenVasquez

According to a poster on the Nintendo forums, the Nintendo Wii was not playable at the Electronic Entertainment Expo this year. How can that be though since DSRevolution was there to actually get hands on experience with the actual controller, not to mention the consoles were right there in their shimmering beauty? Well, apparently they were just modified GameCubes working behind the scenes while the Wii was just there for aesthetic purposes.

This could be good news for Nintendo lovers who were not satisfied with the Wii's graphics. Apparently the ATI graphics card is still under development which could mean that the Wii will actually have better visuals than those seen at E3. While all of this is speculation at the moment, regarding Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz, a Nintendo representative stated in the Official Nintendo Magazine:

"While the screenshots perfectly illustrate what the game is all about, they're only in development screens that have come from Gamecube (not Wii) development kits."

Time will tell if the Wii's graphics are up to par, or relatively close, with other next-generation consoles but be sure to check back with DSRevolution as more information is revealed.

Source: Nintendo.com
if this is going to be closed, at least connect it to another thread

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I agree with McNine, and can't say I'm surprised. At E3 2005, Microsoft did the same thing with the 360. What was shown at E3 was running on pimped out G5s (the first 360 dev kits).

SmashBros.Guy

Smash Cadet
Did you guys know that the Wii wasn't in it's full form. Most of the Wiis had Gamecube hardware. I edit later to get a link showing that.

Hat Hair

Smash Cadet
So last night I was watching this crap show on Spike TV that covered E3 and I finally got to see Warhawk for the first time. I gotta say that it looks like absolute fun, but the graphics didn't strike me as 'next-gen'. Almost immediately I assumed that it looked bad because I was watching it on a screen within my television, but the following quote, which was asked on the show, went on to reaffirm my initial observation: "Why did none of the PS3 games look better than any of the games for the 360?"

So now I have to ask wtf? Is the game not that far along in development, or something?

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
SmashBros.Guy said:
Did you guys know that the Wii wasn't in it's full form. Most of the Wiis had Gamecube hardware. I edit later to get a link showing that.
Did you not see that it was posted a few posts above?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Hat Hair said:
"Why did none of the PS3 games look better than any of the games for the 360?"
Simple, the graphics aren't going to be majorly diferent. Developers making games for both have said that there won't be much diference between the same game on diferent consoles.

SmashBros.Guy

Smash Cadet
I have a question. Who thinks that $600 is an outrageous price for a gaming cousil. I think it is. I'm sure many others think that. Also it's bad that Sony is shoving Blue-Ray down peoples throats I mean not everyone has a HDTV.(me) Now I'm not a Sony hater (although I am sounding like one) but what they are doing with the PS3 is just wrong. Also their controller=gimmick because all it's been used for is Warhawk. Also this thread is not that active so I hope this starts things up. ;)

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
For the longest time I've been loyal to Sony, and im not sure why. I've gone though 2 PS1s and my PS2 is about to bite the dust. It was broken until i got frustrated and punched it until it started working again (somtimes you just have to show them who's boss). But then I realized when I hooked up my NES yesterday, "This thing is about 20 years old and still kickin." My N64 and Cube function flawlessly and both had owners prior to me. Nintendo is a company I should have trusted from the beginning. I have a feeling they wont let me down with the Wii. We already know the 360 blew it when it came to quality and I dont want to trust Sony with $600 of my hard earned money.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Vulpine51 said:
My N64 and Cube function flawlessly and both had owners prior to me. Nintendo is a company I should have trusted from the beginning. I have a feeling they wont let me down with the Wii. We already know the 360 blew it when it came to quality and I dont want to trust Sony with $600 of my hard earned money.
O RLY?

See, everyone has different experiences. My N64? Runs fine. It's been through a lot. My GameCube? My first one died 13 months after I bought it. Right after the warantee expired... it died. Stopped spinning the discs, which is supposedly from dust. I bought my second GameCube, which still works (it's spent a lot of time in a cupboard though, where there's no dust). You say the 360 already blew it when it comes to quality.. why do you say that? Have you yourself had a personal experience with a 360 breaking on you? 3-5% of them were defective when it launched, which is normal for a new product (Microsoft sent you a new one free of charge if yours broke too, and they still do). Other than just mysteriously not working in that 3-5%, the 360 really is a quality machine. You can stand on the **** things and they still work. My 360 fell off of the 5 foot shelf it was on and I was so sure it wasn't going to work when I pushed the power button. To my surprise, it worked and I haven't had a problem with it. I don't want to take a chance with it falling 5 feet again though, so I've got it on my two and a half foot dresser all alone. Lots of room for it. The PS3 will have defective units especially since it has such new technology in it. The cell and blu-ray in one product... some of them are bound to be defective. I'm sure there will be problems with the Wii as well. From what? Not sure, the thing could have a fire hazard for a power cord like the original Xboxes released in November 2001-March 2002 for all we know though.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I'm willing to bet the Wii problems are probably going to be the controller gyro being damaged or something.

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
-To Cashed

Its true I dont own a 360, but I have talked to a few disapointed people. I was suprised to hear such bad things because the original Xbox is built like a tank. All i know is if im going to be paying about $400 or even $600 on somthing, there better be no question as to whether its going to be working atleast 3 years down the line. The PS3 should have a minimum 4 year lifetime

As for the Wii's quality? Well we cant really say too much about it, but there are some things to take note. Nintendo said That they're doing everything they can to make it energy efficent. Using less energy should keep it cooler and put less stress on the internals. Im sure it will have a few problems when it first hits the stores. We'll just have to see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom