• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ness Support Thread

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
It still means there's been a change, you can't deny that, plus, it's made clearly more obvious in the Lucas update than in the handicaps update.
You are clearly not seeing that there is a separation when sakurai says handicap has been in smash up until now, and when he says he changed the system.

vesperview

Smash Hero
Okay, then, let's try this.

Assume that on Monday, an item update is posted, and the following quote is included:

"Up until now, there's been a Red Shell item."

Does that statement mean:

a) The Red Shell will not appear in Brawl?
b) The Red Shell has appeared in previous installments of the Smash series?
It means it has appeared in previous installments but it will now be changed or modified :p

EPX2

Smash Ace
Yeah, into Lucas!
Did you not arrive at that conclusion by looking at the entire Lucas update and noticing that he has many of Ness' special moves? That's fine and all, but I'm specifically focusing on the "Up until now" statement. From that alone, you can't really determine if Ness is gone from SSB. My post was aimed at those people basing their arguments *solely* on that phrase.

wow this thread isn't dead yet.......wow >_>. Guys take the words and read them as they are, this handicap still is called handicap so it means Ness' in is rubbish.
I haven't got the slightest clue as to what you're trying to say here. Clarify, please?

No, the Ness fans are in denial, not only the update means he's been replaced by a new character, but you have that character take almost his entire moveset to top it off, it's naive to think Ness is returning.
Uh-huh... notice how I never once said, "LOL, Ness is definitely returning." It's easily apparent from the first few words of my first post in this topic that I was debunking the "Up until now = no more Ness!" claim.

vesperview

Smash Hero
You can't review the entire situation on a single quote, Ness was intended to be Lucas since Melee, but he was dropped due to Earthbound 64's cancellation, Mother 3 is more popular than Mother 2 in Japan, Sakurai clearly favors Mother 3 and now you have Lucas take his entire moveset but the PK Flash move, it's clear what's happened here.

zSTACKz

Smash Cadet
im glad ness didnt get replaced
by lucas in SSBM because lucas looked like ness in some screenshots
most ppl know that ness isnt coming back

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
No, the Ness fans are in denial, not only the update means he's been replaced by a new character, but you have that character take almost his entire moveset to top it off, it's naive to think Ness is returning.
They are in the same family of PK, they will have similar movement and moves, this is something sakurai purposely pointed out, and he also took the time to point out their differences...

You are also failing to see that the handicap update also says until now to announce that handicap is indeed staying, and then Sakurai goes into the change of the system.

EPX2

Smash Ace
Then what's your point? If you look at all of the other cons, he's clearly been cut.
... I'm specifically focusing on the "Up until now" statement. From that alone, you can't really determine if Ness is gone from SSB. My post was aimed at those people basing their arguments *solely* on that phrase.
You can't review the entire situation on a single quote...
10 characters.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
i still say we have no clue until Ness gets either confirmed or deconfirmed, knowing Sakurai's way of beating around the bush making all of us rack our brains.
On a side note one thing i got from Lucas's FS is that if he has PK starstorm, that COULD leave Ness with PK rockin, cause PK rockin and PK love (which was what i thought Lucas was gonna have) are very similar, or pretty much the same attack. But thats just me.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
i still say we have no clue until Ness gets either confirmed or deconfirmed, knowing Sakurai's way of beating around the bush making all of us rack our brains.
On a side note one thing i got from Lucas's FS is that if he has PK starstorm, that COULD leave Ness with PK rockin, cause PK rockin and PK love (which was what i thought Lucas was gonna have) are very similar, or pretty much the same attack. But thats just me.
Yeah I also thought Lucas would get PK Love or Rockin, but I guess Sakurai left it for Ness.

EPX2

Smash Ace
Well, then review the situation from the other cons and tell me how that makes him likely?
That's not an issue I'm currently interesting in debating. There's a reason why I've generally avoided "Is Ness returning?" topics as of late.

You're just saying "the quote means nothing" it may not be stated clearly but it definitely implies it.
No... the quote means nothing. It doesn't mean anything nor does it imply anything. Ignoring the obvious differences in phrasing and sentence structure, it's semantically similar to the quote about the handicaps, and we already know for a fact that handicaps will be returning.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
i'd just like to make one little point towards Ness's return (seeing as this IS the Ness support thread.) look at Luigi he looks similar to mario and his moves (at first glance) seem similar to Mario's but anyone who has played as him knows they function quiet differently. I think the same could be said about Lucas. i know this might be an exageration but think about it. in short Lucas COULD be the luigi for Ness.
please also note i'm not saying anything about Lucas's and Luigi's characters personality wise.

EPX2

Smash Ace
Then what's the point? The quote is just the last nail on his coffin, there's a lot more to the whole thing than that, if you're not going to debate all of the other stuff, then there's no point in keeping the argument going, cause you're not gonna win it.
Why are you assuming so much about my intentions? I'm not interested in debating if Ness will be returning. I was interested in showing why people shouldn't be relying on a meaningless quote. It's that simple.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
Lets not get into the luigi mario/ lucas ness thing. Either way Sakurai has yet to say "Ness is out" meaning he can still possibly be in, so until those words are spoken people will keep hope, saying that ness supporters are in denial is ignorant.

vesperview

Smash Hero
Lets not get into the luigi mario/ lucas ness thing. Either way Sakurai has yet to say "Ness is out" meaning he can still possibly be in, so until those words are spoken people will keep hope, saying that ness supporters are in denial is ignorant.
How is it ignorant, when none of the Ness supporters can argue the fact that Sakurai had always wanted Lucas instead of Ness?

silver777

Smash Champion
In Akaneia, blasting every castle with a pink Land
That would be quite funny.. from playable to AT, the creator of Ness would be angry.
LMAO!! no, that's not the case.

Sakurai does have to ask from the creators if they can include one of their characters in the game.

As what can we see so far, Almost everything EarthBound related was replaced by MOTHER3 .

Thats what Mr.Itoi wants.

Top Bottom