• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Nair

LoganW

Smash Journeyman
Ok so ive dropped brawl for melee and have been using jigglypuff for a while now. ive got most stuff down and have been learning from videos of pros like hbox and mango and they seem to use the nair alot. i can never seem to implement this move into my game so im asking you guys. When should i use the nair? How often? What setups can it provide? etc
thanks in advance:)

`DNS`

Smash Lord
Ok so ive dropped brawl for melee and have been using jigglypuff for a while now. ive got most stuff down and have been learning from videos of pros like hbox and mango and they seem to use the nair alot. i can never seem to implement this move into my game so im asking you guys. When should i use the nair? How often? What setups can it provide? etc
thanks in advance:)
ask mango in the mango thread :psycho:

rifall

Smash Cadet
When and where

WHO AGAINST
Well, take characters with shorter shorthops than jigglypuff's fullhop (fox, falco etc) and make sure they're Nair's or Fair's range is not greater than yours (so that excludes marth and roy), and push that Nair upon them. It's not so much that you hit them straight forward all the time, but it's moving Puff's foot in a half circle over the opponent and putting it down on them.

DON'T ABUSE IT
Use it too often you'll become too predictable.

WHEN AND WHERE
For most characters, just wait until they're used to Short hopping, or Shuffling. It can punish them just as bad as the shield grab if you use it right. According to where, I wouldn't recommend using it when on a platform.

YOU'RE WELCOME
You're Welcome.

commanderkool

Smash Cadet
do you need to L-cancel a full hopped-fast falled Nair? i always try to L-cancel it and i end up in a shield. i guess it depends when u Nair, but im talking about doing Nair as soon as u jump. sry for the nub question.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Full hop nair autocancels, but you have to l-cancel the short hopped nair.

Nair is a tricky move to learn. To understand when to use the nair you have to understand how it works.

Because jigglypuff's aerial moves are all short lasting (bair, fair) by using a nair, specifically above space animals, there is nothing they can do when your nair hitbox is out except jump into it or back away.

nair is also useful oos when you are being pressured but have time to jump away.

I am not very good, so if anyone corrects me on it, most likely they are right.

Tamoo

Smash Master
Full hop nair autocancels, but you have to l-cancel the short hopped nair.

Nair is a tricky move to learn. To understand when to use the nair you have to understand how it works.

Because jigglypuff's aerial moves are all short lasting (bair, fair) by using a nair, specifically above space animals, there is nothing they can do when your nair hitbox is out except jump into it or back away.

nair is also useful oos when you are being pressured but have time to jump away.

I am not very good, so if anyone corrects me on it, most likely they are right.
First statement is slightly wrong:
Full hop nair, if you execute the nair straight away, the nair will finish quite high above the ground. You CAN autocancel a sh nair. It makes it very useful for nair -> rest. It makes a very good high priority approach, as you can go straight into a crouch from it which is useful, or pretty much any quick or powerful move. You can't fastfall it though, otherwise you will have to uneccesairily lcancel it.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
lol OOPS and here I've been telling people the same false thing in friendlies the WHOLE TIME!

Thanks

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
No one talked about what it can set up for. You can Nair through their shield (SH Nair, or Full jump Nair) and turn around grab, FSmash, USmash, if it hits them and not their shield, UTilt, tap reset -> Rest.

You can do many things, just mix it up.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
I really don't understand jab resetting, I've only done it a few times at most, and I don't think you can jab reset into rest as a combo.
But yeah, nair is very good for crossups just cause it stays out so long.

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
When people miss techs, and they're on the ground, without anymore invincibility frames, you can jab them, and the attack is weak enough to give no knockback, but make them stand up, without any options of moving. This lets you rest them in the time that it takes for them to get up (there are a few invincibility frames when he is getting up). If they try to roll, or get up attack at the same time (I don't know how many frames they can do this for), they will do that instead of the regular standing up animation.

So obviously, you can combo into this. An example would be if you keep whacking him with aerials, and he lands on the ground, missing a tech (so you can Nair -> tech chase (if he misses tech) -> tap reset -> Rest/FSmash if they're high).

LoganW

Smash Journeyman
I really don't understand jab resetting, I've only done it a few times at most, and I don't think you can jab reset into rest as a combo.
But yeah, nair is very good for crossups just cause it stays out so long.
jab reseting is really really good. i believe you need to do it when they are at higher percents because jigglypuff has such a weak jab that it won't actually reset them a low percents because they can roll

thanks for all the good input guys

Tamoo

Smash Master
hmm no, you jab reset on lower percents, up till about 70 on chars like fox i believe, any higher and they will just stand up straight rather than fall back down then get forced to stand up.
Jab reset is amazing and every jiggs should be incorporating it imo, just land near them and hope for the best. At the very worst, they'll tech and ull miss an opportunity to get another arial in or sumthing, at best, free kill

AFAIK, people havent sussed out why characters sometimes roll instead of get straight up when jab resetted, although i could be wrong, but it always seems to happen at higher percents for me

LoganW

Smash Journeyman
thats odd i read somewhere that it didnt work at low percents and it has never worked for me at low percents cause they always roll out. is there some kind of rule that determines it?

VashT.S.

Smash Apprentice
thats odd i read somewhere that it didnt work at low percents and it has never worked for me at low percents cause they always roll out. is there some kind of rule that determines it?
Jab reset works as long as they're lying on the ground. If your opponent presses a direction or A during the jab they'll roll or get up attack.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
That's not true, at higher percentages, the jab pops them right off the ground into a neutral air stance.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Gosh you guys calling it jab reset got me all confused. Learn this: its called the MANGO COMBO

lol or even thunders rest
I kept thinking jab reset as the thing sheik does to ppl who don't jump when she's chaingrabbing

VashT.S.

Smash Apprentice
You're right. It works on marth up to around 100%, sheik 80-90% and space animals past 200%

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Always rest. You will regret it otherwise when they return and take a stock off you.

There are exceptions. But not many, and if you think about whether or not you should mid-match you miss your rest opportunity.

Tamoo

Smash Master
You're right. It works on marth up to around 100%, sheik 80-90% and space animals past 200%
You must be playing some pretty poor opponents if jab reset is working at these percents, as I said, jab reset is only guaranteed on fox till bout 70, and falco till round 40, all the other characters come out much lower. And you can get out faster just by holding up and going into the neutral air stance position.

Yes you need to L-Cancel even if you short hop and attack as soon as you hop.
Not true, if you shorthop, then nair relatively quickly, the nair will autocancel before you touch the ground. However, you cannot fastfall it otherwise yes, you would have to l cancel it

Tamoo

Smash Master
lol ignorance,
autocancelling gives NORMAL landing lag, meaning four frames of lag, meaning you can effectively do absolutely ANYTHING from it.
l-cancelling on the other hand gives you considerably more landing lag, more than double iirc.
With nair, there is never any need to shffl it imo, as autocancelling is easier and gives more benefits, its like totally shield safe and leads to various advantageous situations.
Also jiggs moves so quick in the air without shffling the nair that you might as well just go for the autocancels.

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
lol ignorance,
autocancelling gives NORMAL landing lag, meaning four frames of lag, meaning you can effectively do absolutely ANYTHING from it.
l-cancelling on the other hand gives you considerably more landing lag, more than double iirc.
With nair, there is never any need to shffl it imo, as autocancelling is easier and gives more benefits, its like totally shield safe and leads to various advantageous situations.
Also jiggs moves so quick in the air without shffling the nair that you might as well just go for the autocancels.
Hmm I never knew.

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
Why are people asking questions I already answered in my other post?

I learned somewhere that if you input a command as you're being jab reset, you'll do that action instead of getting up.

Always try for the jab reset, and its not only for Jiggs.

Of course at high percents it doesn't make them stand up again, they'll pop up into neutral position because its not-so-weak anymore.

dudutsai: Its called jab resetting, because when you jab them, it resets them into neutral position. And don't always rest, if they're at a high percent, like 60+, you might as well charge an FSmash and grab the edge (this is matchup dependant). Basically, FSmash if it will give you an easy edgeguard instead of Resting if possible. If you rest, they'll DI away and come back to punish you.

TPoint1BUA

Smash Cadet
Seems odd no one has posted this yet...
This post is 3 years old, but The King is and will always be awesome.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=86683
WARNING INCOMING AWESOME:
"You Got Frooed": A New Way To Rest
(As a Prelude, I should add that this technique may not fit all gametypes as easily as it has fit mine. If the Sex Kick is not a strong point of your game, or not a point at all, you might wish to dismiss this technique as merely situational at best. However, with my game and my Nair approach tactics as loosely described in this thread: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=84342 , this adds a truly fearful element to your approaches and to your opponent's decision to stay grounded during your fight. It is not something to adopt zealously, but rather to develop mindgames and a technical understanding of the technique so as to be able to pull it off on-command, and under control. Discovering your own openings and setups for a successful non-CC'ed Nair approach, I leave for you.)

I've been experimenting with different interactions with puff and it's moves for quite some time trying to find a way to strengthen both my approaches and what they can be followed up by. Basically, I've always wanted to create a good enough tech game and a strong enough game of prediction that every move I make can be followed up with either another move that continues my opponent's string of inability of action, or a move that effectively ends their stock.

Now this may not be totally game-breaking, but it's one hell of a start.

Introducing the newest tried-and-true combo technique: Neutral-Air to Rest. Yep. That move, when you know what you're doing, actually does leave the opponent completely immobile and stuck in attack stun lag long enough to land, and perform rest just as the helpless floaty falls into your parameter. This is also amplified with the extremely handy fact that Jigglypuff's Nair auto-Lcancels a full 20 frames before the end of it's animation, and auto-cancels the exact frame after it's hitbox goes away. This allows you to concentrate far more on your spacing and timing, so that if and when you do decide to approach with the Nair, you'll be ready with prior knowledge and experience in hand, and will be able to trust it as much as a simple Uthrow-Rest.

OK, I typed out a ton of this when I was unoccupied one late evening, so you'll need to read it bare through all the information to understand the principal ideas behind all this explanation. I also added a Video Demonstration, linked below, that you can refer to for Nair->Rest demonstrations on the opponents this technique is most effective on. =D

Nair-Rest Facts:

For Peach, below 30% but after around 10%, SH-Nair works better than a descending Fullhop-Nair into rest. Fullhop-Nair between 10-30% seems to hit too softly combined with her faster recovery from hit stun, and you make contact too high above the ground to get down fast enough to Lcancel the Nair into rest. SH-Nair is quick and low to the ground, so she's still stunned from the Nair. Between 30-55% (after which Nair-Rest stops reliably working) FH-Nair to Rest works better. THE KEY IS TO MAINTAIN FORWARD MOMENTUM, As Nair pushes them forward, so you cannot just fall straight down, you've gotta keep moving.

The timing of it is basically halfway between when the flipper of the Nair comes out, and when the animation would end, to make contact with the opponent. that gives the best hit properties and you're close enough to the ground/animation's end so it auto-cancels. I've also found that it is more or less most effective if you manage to begin the Nair exactly at the top of the arch of your jump. This goes the same for the SH Nair-Rest procedure and the FH Nair-Rest procedure. What this insinuates is that you'll preferably want to find yourself at a particular range before you jump, start the Nair, make contact, and rest them. You don't necessarily need to start it at the height of your jump, but doing so lets you simply fall downward and towards them maintaining momentum, lets you keep your trajectory stable, and with the fullhop you shouldn't even have to L-cancel the Nair, so you can just concentrate on if the opportunity for resting them after the Nair has arisen. With a SH, you'll be starting the Nair pretty much right after you leave the ground, so you'll probably still require an L-cancel for the best chance of success for Nair-Rest comboing.

The same properties apply against Marth too, but after the 30% range when you start comboing it with FH-Nair, you'll want to hit with the Nair just after the Flipper comes out, as it seems to control the trajectory more consistently so long as you keep your forward momentum, because as it seems marth flies further, you've gotta keep more momentum for longer. The percent thresholds are the same with peach as with marth, pretty much. It also makes comboing Nair into Rest far easier if you make your attack approach with the butt-end of the Nair, rather than attacking with the Flipper of the Nair. This is because the extra range of the flipper part forces you to make up extra ground when trying to catch up with the opponent after connecting with the Nair (evident by the fact that because your center must be overlapping them for rest, because the flipper extends beyond your normal parimeter, once the flipper hits, the extra range makes you further away to make your center catch up with them before their hitlag ends.

The characters I've found this works on best are Sheik (15-45%), Marth (10-50%), Peach (10-50%), Samus (20-55%), Mario/Doc (10-45%), Zelda (10-50%), and some other lower-tiered characters like pika, luigi, roy, etc, but for the unnamed characters this combo is either unnecessary, too difficult to land due to size/extra floatyness or weight, or a missed rest leaves you far, far to easily punishable (such as missing a rest against pika will get you
killed near 30%). The percentile ranges listed above entail a margin of error of +/- 5%. So the combo can technically work 5% above or below those ranges, but the noted range will give a much better success rate if you stick to it, as it requires much better timing, perfection, and luck if you deviate above or below it.

I should also note that Nair-Rest can and does work against Fox, Falco, and Falcon at near the same percent ranges as some of the ones listed above, but from what I've been able to deduce, you've got to be extremely fast and perfect to pull it off. You have to be extremely close to the ground when the Nair hits, you can't miss the Lcancel, and you've got to practically rest on the nearly first frame possible. However, hitting with the backside of Nair is probably more desirable than hitting with the flipper of it, but that is mere conjecture and assumption at this moment.

Ok, as far as the Video Demonstration goes, I did it one character at a time, showcasing the Nair->Rest capabilities on Marth, Peach, Sheik and Samus. I included many shots from varying angles, increasing in small percentage increments. I also included some slow-motion footage clips so you may get a better view of what's happening. (The sound in some of them became poorly-synched, I didn't really care about it so I just encoded it and released it. It's the visual that counts anyways =D ).

Download Link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UQ1AQGP4
Youtube Link: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Sow6iFGQMIc

Thanks to Sidefx for the slick Vid Intro!

King Out

Top Bottom