• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the music thread

VideoKidHEERO

Smash Champion
Lol glad to be of service to you guys ;]

I'm surprised at how unknown they are.
I love Osaka Loop Line, So Insane, and Carby.

n1000

Smash Journeyman
Warpaint played at my school on 4/20. Apparently people are impressed by spacey jam sessions with arbitrary visualizations if your band is made up of chicks.

n1000

Smash Journeyman
"one of the best punk albums of all time"

Maybe, "one of the best from the last 5 years." It's a big maybe, because it's a stretch to call Latterman punk.

Punk:
Discharge - Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing

Bad Brains - Regulator

DRI - I'd Rather be Sleeping

Amebix - Slave

I hope someone is manly enough to get some value out of this post. Anyway every one of those songs is from a seminal punk album and if you're interested in educating yourself about this sort of music I highly recommend getting all of them.

SuperRad

Smash Master
what
how are Latterman NOT punk? that's a ridiculous assertion.

obviously me calling it one of the best punk albums of all time is a judgment call. because i'd rather listen to catchy jams with singalongs than a lot of other punk styles. (personally, i think crust tends to be pretty boring and i've never liked any of the d-beat i listened to).
when i was like 13 i was really into hardcore punk, but for the most part i can't really stand to listen to a lot of it anymore. i still put on i against i/black dots or black flag's first four years on from time to time, but so much of the genre just sounds so derivative to me.

n1000

Smash Journeyman
Most of the genre is derivative, it's a **** shame. I've been checking out Latterman a little bit since I saw your post and IDK man, it doesn't seem that out of line to deny that they're punk. Their songs seem to revolve around traditional rock construction made up of mellow guitar chords and no riffing to speak of. I thought this was something like "alternative rock" (I really don't mean to insult them if I'm coming across that way) although I guess they do resemble Against Me or Rise Against in some ways...

Anyway as far as subgenres of punk go I only listen to hardcore and thrash so this is hardly my realm of expertise. (actually I just like talking **** on "punk" music that isn't hardcore punk or thrash)

EDIT: not really a 'genre battle' I don't think. I just posted 4 **** hardcore punk/thrash songs fyeah

SuperRad

Smash Master
as far as crossover bands go (im assuming you arent talking about slayer when you say thrash) i never get past municipal waste. they are everything i could possibly want in a band.

and punk was built on simple chord progressions, so i dont really understand where you're coming from with that. (admittedly, i know next to nothing about musical theory).

Adam M!

Smash Lord
"one of the best punk albums of all time"

Maybe, "one of the best from the last 5 years." It's a big maybe, because it's a stretch to call Latterman punk.

Punk:
Discharge - Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing

Bad Brains - Regulator

DRI - I'd Rather be Sleeping

Amebix - Slave

I hope someone is manly enough to get some value out of this post. Anyway every one of those songs is from a seminal punk album and if you're interested in educating yourself about this sort of music I highly recommend getting all of them.
you seem to be pretty passionate about music

can you recommend me like your 10 favorite artists you think other peoplpe should hear

and dont say no obvious ish like pink floyd or something

and yeah music genres are the worst

n1000

Smash Journeyman
Municipal Waste is great.

I failed to articulate my point about chord progressions. Hardcore punk sped up playing the key chords until they fell into half-second long phrases where the rhythm of the notes was emphasized (that is, the temporal context of a note is emphasized over the "sound" of a note itself.)

Songs are built around repeating these phrases and structured when one phrase is replaced with another. Now we call those rhythmic phrases riffs. The riff based construction has obviously been explored more obviously in metal but it also defined the "hardcore" bands in the punk scene.

I conflate riff based composition with punk music because of my affinity for hardcore punk. Clearly this isn't the rule, no riffs to be found in any of The Clash's songs. I guess I don't really know why we shouldn't call something like Latterman "rock."

pockyD: No, but music genres are real concepts!

EDIT:
can you recommend me like your 10 favorite artists you think other peoplpe should hear
Are you seriously interested? I'll do it if you'll listen to what I post!

Adam M!

Smash Lord
***** i wouldn't ask if i wasn't serious.

edit: do you smoke? or play smash? LOL you live in glendale but i have never seen you outside of this thread

n1000

Smash Journeyman
Yeah like four packs a week....I'm at school so I play smash as much as I can on campus but I haven't gone to any tourneys down here because of schoolwork/not having a controller or gc to practice on/john johns john.

But yeah I'm at Occidental College so if you're nearby I'm down to play...for the next week and a half until finals are over el oh el

anyway I'm going to write up a top 10 and post it tonight

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
new massive attack album is soooo ****

i wonder if any smashers have listened to it and can agree with the ****
Its the most mundane album I have ever heard. I've heard each of those songs before somewhere else. It brought nothing new, nothing original, and nothing exciting to the table. It played safe, and sucked because of it.

Top Bottom