• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The most awesome character (Kirby)!

The Star King

Smash Hero
Well if you have a limited pool of people of play improvement is probably going to be minimal. Sucks for you, Australia. I use keyboard, I'm better than most people and I'm still steadily improving.

@Kuz if I had a nickel for every time that happened...

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I agree with you Star, but I've been playing for a bit over a year on controller as opposed to aa's 3-4 years of keyboard only and I like to think I've caught up to him. But like I said I do agree with you, I play about 3 "good" players regularly but as long as Kuromatsu is around I believe I can still grow in terms of skill.

On another note I think people underestimate us down here, with evidence of our skill level coming in the form of Boom watching Dsc and Dark play and a few rubbish videos (exception being Pete's of course).

I plan to keep my word to Boom and upload some videos of gameplay against the few better players on Desiree's server, including but not limited to:

aa
Kuromatsu
Judas
Pete
Rom
Dsc

Anyway that's enough story from me.

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
The best part about my experience online is when I beat some scrub who thinks they are good and they say

"If I had a controller I would kick your ***, keyboard is so tough"

and then I simply respond

"I use a keyboard too"
epic
Kirby really is the Noob character like people call him.
But ****
if your a beastly Yoshi
THEN you can be cocky.
And so far I've only seen two **** good Yoshi's
Sossi and Prince~

<3 Yoshi I just suck with him xD

what are some COMPLEX combos with Kirby.
I've only seen people doing basic things
such as Up-tilt, reverse-B-air- D-Air
and other shenanigans involving up-tilt

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
Soupamario said:
a rebuttal to this, i like brawl, it's a fun game; fairly good at it too. but seriously, i go onto their forums and either it's noobville or off-topic crap.

they still think brawl has combos too.
I know is one page back, but I can't be more agree with you... xD

blaze3927

Smash Ace
kirbys insta arial brick:
can it be done without a pivot?
i believe dmoogle or someone falsely claimed links descending up b is the same principle as kirby's inst arial brick, however im pretty sure kirbys insta brick requires a pivot, where as links descending down B can be done with or without a pivot.
anyone know for sure?

The Star King

Smash Hero
I'm not sure but I think it can only done out of a walk or a pivot, but not a dash, because you can't down-B during a dash.

Unless it's the left side of Hyrule so that you go off the slope.

DMoogle

A$
Pretty sure it doesn't need a pivot.

What A$ probably meant is that both the insta brick and the descending upB rely on ledge cancels.
This.

There's a list of B moves that have odd effects when you ledge cancel them, and it's easily testable, because if perform the move when you're on the floating halo thing (after you die), then it acts like a ledge cancel IIRC.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
This.

There's a list of B moves that have odd effects when you ledge cancel them, and it's easily testable, because if perform the move when you're on the floating halo thing (after you die), then it acts like a ledge cancel IIRC.
Truth. The ledge cancel happens because of the sudden shift from being on the ground to in the air, and the same thing happens with the spawn platform.

rpotts

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure I've seen kirby combos from japanese players that finish with dash->ledge cancel->instabrick

blaze3927

Smash Ace
its just continuing momentum,
then why cant i do samus' falling down b?
when you do that on the cloud samus drops faster than the bomb

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
/too lazy to examine the above posts.

If you fsmash into the side of a ledge and then rock, you fall faster and ledge cancel it.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
I am looking for really good kirby combos I know the basic Kirby combos but I wish to know more.

myrosgyros

Smash Rookie
is there any real use to kirbys uair? i cant seem to really implement it anywhere for any real purpose

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
On falcon and I think Dk you can start a combo with it by going uair>pivot utilt>pivot utilt. I would recommending trying to do so only after a shield break though lol.

Otherwise practically, it is very situational. You can do a run off ledge>uair>up B on DK, starting in the middle part of stage moving across to the left, but otherwise I'm not sure.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Utilt -> short hop uair/full hop to platform uair -> Up-B/Nair/Dair/Another utilt is a legit combo. It's also usable against the green wall of the **** tent. Uair gimmicks are fun :)

myrosgyros

Smash Rookie
Thanks ill have to try those. Other random question I play against a luigi player a lot and if we get down in the tent area he does a throw to up b and it always kills me. Other than not getting grabbed is there anyway to get out of this? Can I di off the tent?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
You can't do wall techs in 64, or do any wall DI from throws. If the Up-B hits you while you're near a wall you can push into the wall to try and survive.

Or you could just U-Tilt all day and not let Luigi near you :cool:

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Yeah most important advice is to simply try and not engage Luigi in the tent as much as possible.

Banana Jack

Smash Cadet
it's probably just the level of play i play at, but is there ANY way out of kirby's uptilt? without running into the whole i've-already-dealt-70-percent-with-it-so-now-they-go-so-high-they-actually-have-a-chance-to-retaliate thing. the only way i've found is for yoshi to get a perfectly timed second jump, so his super armor plows through the utilt then yoshi can nair...is everyone else (specially heavies) just screwed?
should i just be avoiding it? i feel like i don't ever see the pros use it more than once or twice in a row, though...there has to be a way out...

Sangoku

Smash Master
Your best bet is simply not getting caught in it. Don't get hit, that's the common advice in ssb64. Something obvious is not to run at kirby when he's facing away lol. Or be careful when approaching by above, bait him with second jumps and so on. I find the best is to force kirby to get in the air and approach him from above while in the air (his uair can't do much).

Now if you've been taken into it, you might want to try to DI out of it (away seems useless given how big the hitbox is, forward is useless too since kirby can just turn around between two utilts, so DI up) but that will mostly be unsuccessful. So you're screwed with a lot of chars. As you pointed out you can second jump with Yoshi, but that's only after having received a few hits. With other chars either try to jump out of it or upb out of it (pika for example).

The Star King

Smash Hero
You can't really get out of it if they do it right. Kind of dumb, I know. Anyways, I would DI up hard. You probably won't escape their combo, but you can reduce the number of utilts they have the opportunity to do on you and lower amount the damage they dish out.

Yobolight

Smash Lord
Can anyone offer some general advice on the Kirby v Pikachu matchup from Kirby's perspective on Dreamland?

B-Town

Smash Apprentice
Kirby's recovery, while good, is pretty basic so try and mix it up. Especially with pika's edgeguarding. When recovering, counter bairs with fairs but move a little less forward for that jump, also a good time to trick them into falling into an inhale suicide. The ledge is your friend, especially when trying to get around Fsmashs. Ledge grab->wait out fsmash->ledgejump fair is great way to start a combo or get some space after a recovery.

Fthrow kills pika at 100% if done below or on the middle platform. Maybe on side platforms as well. Maybe even a couple percent lower but I think 100 is the minimum.

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
Advice for positioning kirby on dreamland:
vs Pika: camp the top platform
vs Kirby: camp the top platform
vs Falcon: if you can hard read very good and have superior reflexes, camp on the side platforms close to the edge of the stage, facing inwards from falcon. If falcon usmashes or aireals, shield first and you get pushed off. you can fair or nair then, and go for a grab or utilt depending if they land below or on the platform. This strategy is pretty effective, but if you cant handle it, stay below the platform
vs Fox: Camp directly under the top platform if fox is up there. Don't approach. Mostly stay at the edges of the stage. Air camping above the top platform is also effective.
vs Yoshi: Camp the top platform
vs DK: Camp the top platform and right below it.
vs Ness: Do whatever you want

Still looking into mario bros, jiggs, and samus.

Last edited:

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
I have a friend that plays Kirby very similar to M2K, he just spams up tilt (and sometimes back air) and refuses to approach.

It's very difficult for me to get in on him.

How does one counter an M2K style Kirby?

Any advice from people who have beaten M2K / campy Kirbys?

Thanks!

Edit: I'm not trying to imply that my friend is anywhere near M2K's level lol. They just play similar aha.

Edit 2: I'd usually play pika or falcon if i was trying to win, so preferably advice for either of them.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

stylisland

Smash Apprentice
If he's playing him where he just counters your approaches with up tilt you can probably up air with Pikachu if spaced right (where his tail is like horizontal and in front of you) I find that works. With falcon I saw stranded running in and jumping then falcon kicking against M2K last night and it seemed to work. If they're pivoting your approach and fsmashing you can try to bait out the forward smash and get a punish in with whatever your choosing but you have to be kind of quick the ending lag isn't really that long.

Someone more knowledgable will probably correct my errors and tell you the facts. Hopefully.

Last edited:

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
Ah that's right! I definitely knew that a correctly spaced Pika up air will beat Kirby's up tilt. Lol idk why I keep forgetting that. I'm totally going to work on my pika up air game and try to incorporate it into my play style!

As far as the Falcon kick goes, I watched the NJ stream last night too. I don't know if I have the guts to play Falcon like Stranded. He's all over the place! :dizzy:

Thanks for your advice. :)

Last edited:

_CaKeS_

Smash Cadet
I always liked trying to use Kirby's final cutter offensively, especially for meteor smashes. And if you can judge the height right you can use it as a projectile while jumping to an above platform which can be helpful in some situations

Top Bottom