• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The most awesome character (Kirby)!

Foosedogg

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ponyhater123
And this is the forum where I get killed for saying I only use Up Grab, Copy, Up B, Down B, and AAA.

I only use him because my characters that I want to play (Ness, Pika, Jiggs, even maybe Mario) HATE ME.

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
I'm assuming it's okay to bump a thread like this... Anyway.

I'm a Kirby fan (obviously) and use Kirby whenever I can in whatever Smash game. This is my favorite game of them all, actually (for reasons other than Kirby being absurd), and would like to go to tournaments, and all that jazz. I have good combos and setups with Kirby, but I've been having a very hard time doing a Pivot Up Tilt, which I know is a super good thing for Kirby players to be able to do. Any advice on how to get better with Pivot Up Tilts?

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
Any advice on how to get better with Pivot Up Tilts?
Practice.

Do them in training mode and friendlies. Then try using them in high-pressure situations consistently.
Don't practice your pivot tilts in a single direction! Practice in both directions and also practice doing turn around tilts too. Just turning around to tilt can be difficult when you're hyped.

Quote720

Smash Cadet
I didn't see much of how to do actual tech with Kirby in this thread, is that be a use Kirby tech is so simple? Is there anything tricky about pivot utilt, for example?

D

Deleted member

(please delete this message)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dwreck

Smash Cadet
can someone link a kirbs vs pika set where the kirby plays the matchup really well?

D

Deleted member

(please delete this message)

Last edited by a moderator:

Elin

Your face is strange... Is it always like that?
NNID
ShinySilverEevee
3DS FC
5301-1189-1305
I can't believe this thread is practically dead.

It's a character discussion, for Arceus' sake!

What I'm here for actually is because Kirby's my main. Problem is I'm such a terrible player I can't even get past Very Easy on Classic Mode without losing all my stocks.

I need tips to git gud. Badly.

Saltsizzle

Smash Journeyman

Drevis2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
drevistwo
3DS FC
4613-8582-9190
Can we talk about the hitbox on Kirbys up-tilt pls? Or how amazing his Dair spike is???

Drevis2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
drevistwo
3DS FC
4613-8582-9190
I can't believe this thread is practically dead.

It's a character discussion, for Arceus' sake!

What I'm here for actually is because Kirby's my main. Problem is I'm such a terrible player I can't even get past Very Easy on Classic Mode without losing all my stocks.

I need tips to git gud. Badly.
Play, Play, play, play all you can. I got good just by playing the game with friends as much as possible. Also, look up top level play and think about what they are doing to be that good. Also, learn characters, memorize everything about them, and practice whenever you can.

Elin

NNID
ShinySilverEevee
3DS FC
5301-1189-1305
Play, Play, play, play all you can. I got good just by playing the game with friends as much as possible. Also, look up top level play and think about what they are doing to be that good. Also, learn characters, memorize everything about them, and practice whenever you can.
One day....

Glasgowsmile

Smash Rookie
Are there any techniques involving the up B spike? I can imagine that there´s a good use for it, to catch people after an up tilt that sent them too high to continue. Like up tilt at the edge turn around/pivot up B to spike at like 90%+x .

Update short hop up air to up spike works pretty well

Last edited:

Elin

NNID
ShinySilverEevee
3DS FC
5301-1189-1305
Any safe approaches against the top tier rat and Fox?

My sister always wins with them. I can't do ****.

Cedricwa

Smash Apprentice
Are there any techniques involving the up B spike? I can imagine that there´s a good use for it, to catch people after an up tilt that sent them too high to continue. Like up tilt at the edge turn around/pivot up B to spike at like 90%+x .

Update short hop up air to up spike works pretty well
Kirbys up b will spike at 0%

Earthward Bound

Smash Cadet
Any safe approaches against the top tier rat and Fox?

My sister always wins with them. I can't do ****.
Fox; duck lasers and bait out a fair or dair with utilt

Pika & everyone else; bait for utilts

Kirby is my second least used character in the cast but i seem to do very well with him taking a defensive stance. I find the character boring by comparison and that i have to resort to what feels like cheap tactics to perform well but i just don't do well approaching with kirby and the only move that he seems equiped with for the task seems to be dair - and being above certain characters can be.. scary.

On a side note i do love to mimic fox

Glasgowsmile

Smash Rookie
Kirbys up b will spike at 0%
yeah i know that off course i just meant the 90% as a rough estimate for a combo possibility. like up tilt at 90% sends them too far up to continue with back air or techchase them on a platform but an upB could reach and spike them, you know? ^^

Elin

NNID
ShinySilverEevee
3DS FC
5301-1189-1305
My Kirby skills still aren't improving.

Now all I'm doing is watching tourney results that happen to have Kirby in them because I'm desperate.

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
My Kirby skills still aren't improving.

Now all I'm doing is watching tourney results that happen to have Kirby in them because I'm desperate.
I might be able to help you out on playing as Kirby. Here are a few links to my videos of Kirby:

KO Endurances [Kirby]:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH_xznZ2aTU

This video will definitely be helpful on improving your Kirby playing skills. Quick KO moves and edge-guarding/gimping are included.

Kirby Combos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff-BlUhhpks

This may be the only video that has legit Kirby combos.

----------

I probably shouldn't post the link to my video of my match/goal on Kirby, but I'll do it anyway.

999% Match/Goal ~ Kirby:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmM7B3dMsVM

This video might have some Kirby combos from someone I know, who helped me out on not just that match/goal, but others too. You might learn more in that video, but no guarantees.

Oh, and for anyone wondering, please read the description on the actual content and reason for the match/goal.

----------

I don't play as Kirby that much, so hopefully, my videos will help.

Practice your character and study the matchups. That's the only advice I can give you.

Last edited:

Elin

NNID
ShinySilverEevee
3DS FC
5301-1189-1305
I might be able to help you out on playing as Kirby. Here are a few links to my videos of Kirby:

KO Endurances [Kirby]:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH_xznZ2aTU

This video will definitely be helpful on improving your Kirby playing skills. Quick KO moves and edge-guarding/gimping are included.

Kirby Combos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2n3_U0K8AI

This may be the only video that has legit Kirby combos.

----------

I probably shouldn't post the link to my video of my match/goal on Kirby, but I'll do it anyway.

Match/Goal on Kirby:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxj1Xf9oTzg

This video might have some Kirby combos from someone I know, who helped me out on not just that match/goal, but others too. You might learn more in that video, but no guarantees.

Oh, and for anyone wondering, please read the description and my comment on the actual content and reason for the match/goal.

----------

I don't play as Kirby that much, so hopefully, my videos will help.

Practice your character and study the matchups. That's the only advice I can give you.
Oh, thank you so much!

I'm trying to learn gimping skills, but it's fairly difficult because you have to time your jumps.

SwaggerPancake

Smash Rookie
I need help with a kirby matchup.

I''ve learned every matchup in a basic sense, Kirby vs Pikachu for example, what you want to do as kirby i look for hign ground cuz u lack a real upair. Kirby VS Falcon you want to be carefull and wall with uptilt.

BUT THE STUPID FOX!!!!!!!

Just cant seem to leanr the spacing... its so frustraiting... If I get an uptilt I can repeat untill 45% ish, edgeguard is not a problem though, Im decent against recovering foxes.

Its just that if I go to high ground, he up airs me easily due to high priority.
Go below him and Im harmles.
In neutral he is so fast that I cant wall him even with backair.

My other major problem is dealin with his 2 damn strong moves, Upair and specially Upsmash. Can I DI the UpAir to escape the strong hit?
And his stupid upsmash kills me at 60% its ridiculous and he is so fast, HOW TO STOP A WANNAUPSMASHYOU FOX RUNNING STRAIGHT AT YOU? I go back, catches me anyway, go up and drill works sometimes, shield too when he doesnt mix it up into a grab instead of upsmash.
And the up smash catches me even when I aproach with f-air, the good side is that if its overused I could be able to bate it right?

Should I improove my keepaway game or is there another style needed? (like against link, you benefit for being cautious and carefull, not overoffensive)

Do you have any other tips for the Kirby vs Fux matchup?

Thx in advance

Last edited:

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
I need help with a kirby matchup.

I''ve learned every matchup in a basic sense, Kirby vs Pikachu for example, what you want to do as kirby i look for hign ground cuz u lack a real upair. Kirby VS Falcon you want to be carefull and wall with uptilt.

BUT THE STUPID FOX!!!!!!!

Just cant seem to leanr the spacing... its so frustraiting... If I get an uptilt I can repeat untill 45% ish, edgeguard is not a problem though, Im decent against recovering foxes.

Its just that if I go to high ground, he up airs me easily due to high priority.
Go below him and Im harmles.
In neutral he is so fast that I cant wall him even with backair.

Should I improove my keepaway game or is there another style needed? (like against link, you benefit for being cautious and carefull, not overoffensive)

Do you have any other tips for the Kirby vs Fux matchup?

Thx in advance
I don't play as Kirby too often. But from looking at videos of competitive playing (Kirby vs. Fox matchup), one would want to stay on ground and stay under the spammed lasers from Fox's Blaster, and bait the Fox player for starting combos with Up Tilts (pivot Up Tilt is also good) and then either Back Aerial or Neutral Aerial to end the combo. Fox players often try to DI out of Kirby's spammed Up Tilt, but it's usually considerably hard to get out of that. After the combo, pretty much go for the KO.

Other than that, keep playing and studying the matchup.

Last edited:

SwaggerPancake

Smash Rookie
I don't play as Kirby too often. But from looking at videos of competitive playing (Kirby vs. Fox matchup), one would want to stay on ground and stay under the spammed lasers from Fox's Blaster, and bait the Fox player for starting combos with Up Tilts (pivot Up Tilt is also good) and then either Back Aerial or Neutral Aerial to end the combo. Fox players often try to DI out of Kirby's spammed Up Tilt, but it's usually considerably hard to get out of that. After the combo, pretty much go for the KO.

Other than that, keep playing and studying the matchup.
Thanks, do you know any kirby player that could give me ome more tips?

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
thanks ur the best. can fox upair be DIed though?
There are considerably less DI inputs during the hit-stun of most Up Aerials. Since there is only SDI in this game, chances of getting out of Up Aerial combos are extremely slim to none, and that is because the character can move in any direction and use platforms to get higher during Up Aerial combos.

Last edited:

Ness Lee

Smash Rookie
NNID
Helpimkidnapped1
So one of my "bread and butter" combos is dair -> z cancel -> uptilt x4 or 5, and then I usually follow it up with a bair or dair, but I feel like I could follow it up better. By the time I jump to as high as they are at that point, I can't land and z cancel so the combo just ends there. Is there a better way to follow it up after the 4th or 5th uptilt?

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
So one of my "bread and butter" combos is dair -> z cancel -> uptilt x4 or 5, and then I usually follow it up with a bair or dair, but I feel like I could follow it up better. By the time I jump to as high as they are at that point, I can't land and z cancel so the combo just ends there. Is there a better way to follow it up after the 4th or 5th uptilt?
Forward Aerial can usually lead to another Up Tilt after a set of Up Tilts.

Here is a link to my 'Kirby Combos' video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVVg3xsUkHQ

Probably the only video to have legit Kirby combos.

Be sure to read the description all the way through.

Last edited:

Earthward Bound

Smash Cadet
thanks ur the best. can fox upair be DIed though?
There are considerably less DI inputs during the hit-stun of most Up Aerials. Since there is only SDI in this game, chances of getting out of Up Aerial combos are extremely slim to none, and that is because the character can move in any direction and use platforms to get higher during Up Aerial combos.
Is this considered to be hard? Di'ing up im usually able to escape fox's second hit on his uair. If i didn't get it its more likely that I just wasn't fast enough to react in the first place.

Sounds like you just need better timing/spacing on your attacks. Foxes like to distract with lasers and approach with a sh dair,uair, or fair. Duck lasers or literally just stand there if they don't have their lasers low enough and bait out their approach with your rediculous utilt.

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
Is this considered to be hard? Di'ing up im usually able to escape fox's second hit on his uair. If i didn't get it its more likely that I just wasn't fast enough to react in the first place.

Sounds like you just need better timing/spacing on your attacks. Foxes like to distract with lasers and approach with a sh dair,uair, or fair. Duck lasers or literally just stand there if they don't have their lasers low enough and bait out their approach with your rediculous utilt.
The DI input on the first hit during the hit-stun of Fox's Up Aerial is way less (about 4 frames) than most others, making it much harder to DI out of, and a lot of times impossible to avoid the second hit. And on top of that, if one uses the second jump but still gets hit by that move and is sent off-stage with another move, that character other than Kirby and Jigglypuff (and possibly Yoshi) is pretty much guaranteed to not make it back to the stage. I've not once managed to avoid the second hit of Fox's Up Aerial, no matter how hard I tried.

As for the strategy you mentioned, that's pretty much what I said previously.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

i'll be starting a kirby video series on youtube! in which i'll demonstrate a variety of combos, techniques, etc., to help players improve! :)

kirby video series

(>´u´)>

Smash Cadet
All i can say is that :4kirby: is easy to pick up and play on 64 and thats what led me to him. 64 will remain my favorit smash and :4kirby: is my recommended character to beginners.

Top Bottom