• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The MKGD: The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Also in situations where your opponents off stage, if you don't feel like edgeguarding just roll towards the ledge so MKs back is to it and when your opponent is close enough hold shield.

In this situation your opponents options are limited.

• If they try to attack your shield by falling off into an aerial dair OOS or tornado.
  • Get up attacks can be stopped by shield so activate tornado on reaction
  • Normal get up? tornado
  • Jump get up? Chase them with tornado but know when to give up on chasing to avoid a potential punish
  • Roll get ups can be punished with tornado too
  • If they stay on the ledge for too long(when invincibility frames are gone) use rising dair to send them back off stage.

Very useful against Fox and Falco, but its something you should add to your playstyle since getting guaranteed damage in ledge situations is good especially 15-22%.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Cliff notes version of today:

I placed worse than I usually do (usually Top 8 or greater in a 50-60 man event). But I got valuable experience. I saw my potential with Metaknight. Give me a month and I'll catch up with him.

Also MK is INSANELY good in doubles. Holy ****. Being good in both singles and doubles as well as being fun is huge for me.

Tl;Dr: I am now apart of the Metaknight family. I love this bat ball. I'm gonna be great with him someday.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I really hope his lag install from Dimensional Cape gets removed this coming patch. Really disappointing to see this kinda crap in Smash IV when characters like Marth and Pokemon Trainer had it in Brawl.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
[
Cliff notes version of today:

I placed worse than I usually do (usually Top 8 or greater in a 50-60 man event). But I got valuable experience. I saw my potential with Metaknight. Give me a month and I'll catch up with him.

Also MK is INSANELY good in doubles. Holy ****. Being good in both singles and doubles as well as being fun is huge for me.

Tl;Dr: I am now apart of the Metaknight family. I love this bat ball. I'm gonna be great with him someday.
The family is growing, the bat-cave feels warmer c:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
MKs a demon in teams. He pairs well with characters that have kill throws like ROB who also can provide a gyro for an OOS toss and a projectile that covers the whole stage.

MK doesn't do well with 'bad' characters or characters that struggle to kill so they rely heavily on us and reads. Off the top of my head: :4kirby::4jigglypuff::4mario::4drmario::4bowser::4marth::4lucina:

I just played a doubles match with ROB as my teammate vs Sonic and Sheik, we won pretty convincingly since they focus way too much on 1 v 1 and don't back each other up. Also because ROB and MK overwhelm people above with their vertical kill moves.

Also Tornado is silly in doubles you can tell this move shines in FFA. So yea i feel ROB is the best teammate he can stock tank really well and support us from afar.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

My most static partner is a Mario and honestly Mario/MK is GOOD. The Mario I play with is hella aggressive and I tend to play the support/role. My

Mario's superior air mobility provides great coverage (especially for those moments we miss a Loop or Nado or Cape) and follow up opps from our throws and Mach Tornado. But the main things are:

1. Mario naturally vertically combos people. If you're ready with a Loop, you get easy kills at 60% +.

2. If you catch someone with Tornado and Mario hits you with FLUDD, you begin to rise REALLY far up because FLUDD amplifies your momentum on ascension. We got some crazy kills this way.

3. Mario's throws setup for MK's Nado and Loop well.

But basically Mario just makes it easier to get our off the top kills. I usually don't get many kills in doubles. And then MK happened ROFL.

ROB seems like a silly teammate. I bet Sonic would be great too.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
ROB has stronger kill power than Mario which is imo more important because tornado becomes less risky in doubles so you'll rack up damage faster. ROB can down throw into uair and MK can follow up with shuttle loop while they're still in hitstun.

Then he can clean stocks off with up throw, Mario doesn't really amplify MKs kit like ROB does. With Mario you really need to tryharder for kills because Mario has no kill setups.

Marios follow ups out of our throws aren't very rewarding damage wise, MK already has low damage on his normals so I think its best to have ROB. If I get grabbed I have a 50/50 chance of ROB sniping me with a laser, Mario despite having better mobility than ROB, cannot scratch our backs as well as him no matter how far away he is ROB can back you up by either leaving a gyro laying around or pelting the enemy with a laser when they're waiting onstage for MK.

This is from my experience though, Luigi is better than Mario as a teammate too imo.

Last edited:

Ras99

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone. I'm an Italian player, and Meta Knight is my main (and my favourite Nintendo character).
I have followed Smashboards since Smash 3DS's release, and I payed attention to MK's Board. Today, I subscribed to this forum.
Regarding my gaming experience, I'm not a competitive player, but I'm skilled. I never went to an official Smash tournament (I won many school tournaments, but those are not official lol. And in my class there are only 7 people who play Smash, but only 3 of us are skilled and want to become competitive players), but usually I play with my friends, some of them are older than me, and they do many tournaments.
I choosed Meta Knight as my main not only because he is my favourite character, but also because I like his playstyle, and I think he is understimated (the main reason is because he was nerfed, but I think he has also a very hard learning curve: I never saw someone using him right, except a youtuber called KatakiriG).

If I make some write error, please forgive me. And excuse me for my unoriginal nickname: I haven't found a cool nick yet :(

ZTD | TECHnology

So I got some good games in with one of the more prominent members of my scene and they're recorded. I'm gonna link the best 5 of them ( we both SD sometimes going for ballsy stuff because it's friendlies). Critique would be awesome. My young MK needs guidance! I'll link after the uploads.

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
@ ItoI6 ItoI6 one of our top mk's is gonna play zero on teampspooky's twitch stream. That would be good exp for all of us. Sad that when of our mk's finally make it it big league, he has to fight the monstrosity that is Zero. :c dam

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm certain he won't go MK since he hates the match up, especially if it's against the best Diddy in the world at the moment.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
MK's biggest contributions to any doubles team is his Speed, Dash Attack, Air Game, and being a low-maintenance partner. In this game, he was built for support.

I don't have a set doubles partner yet but I've teamed with Rosalina, Bowser, Mega Man, Jigglypuff, Yoshi, Sonic, & Falcon. MK is best when he's not the one going on the offensive. MK wants to take center stage and pretty much just play Batman and protect Gotham City. Any time his teammate gets into trouble, MK Dash Attacks in and forces the other player to deal with a 2v1 for a moment before he goes back to keeping the 4th player at bay again. And it's not like his partner does all the work, he plays his neutral game against the other opponent, keeping them out but keeping a watchful eye on his partner. If you have a partner with a problematic recovery, dashing off-stage and smacking them with an Up-Air is an option not many characters have.

With MK being so great on-stage and off-, he really doesn't need to be saved which lets his partner keep up the offensive pressure. And if he does need to be saved from a 2v1 when his partner gets knocked away, Nado is actually a decent panic option to keep both opponents at bay while your partner comes back. But MK's okay in 2v1 anyway so it's an option I rarely have to use but it's there.

I also tell my teammates that when they get a grab and they don't have a follow-up off it, Up-Throw. If I'm open, I'll Shuttle Loop the opponent out of the air and, because I know the trajectory of every throw in the game, I'm real good at it. And if they know what to do when I get a grab, it's heaven for us and hell for the opponent. I wish we played on-stream but I was teamed with one of our best Rosalina players a week back and we got into a groove where he would even setup off my throws; I would F-Throw, he'd catch them with Up-Air, and I'd Shuttle Loop off his Up-Air for the KO.

I really need a set partner tho... I could be making a lot more money if I win doubles too. Ohio's Smash scene in janky.

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
. He's in top 3 with diddy. Itol seems to have a Zex problem. Looking pretty brutal right now. Oh **** the comebacks. @ warionumbah2 warionumbah2 Still gonna support a fellow metaknight main/secondary. Itol beats Zex. About to get bodied by Zero lol.

Last edited:

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
Oh **** he's bringing out the Metaknight. That's my ***** Itol lol . He's bopping Zero though. His falcon of course. F**** why didn't he angle down the side B. Were still livin. Pysch Itol got kneed.

Last edited:

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
So a Meta Knight just won a big tourney here in Mexico!! :pogChamp:

Wanted to watch him but they didn't stream it lol, and knowing the TO's, I'm pretty sure they're not uploading anything anytime soon. Man if it has taken them MONTHS to upload results... My only hope is that they actually stepped up their TO abilities lol

In another notes, I'm getting worried about the next patch screwing us up in anything :/

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Why did he Drill Rush??? You can do it man, i know the Mu is close to even so i'm glad im not wrong.

nah he dead. but after this tourney hopefully people will take interest in MK and his potential. He missed a footstool combo earlier on.

Last edited:

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
The struggle my man. This performance is gonna put the fear of metaknight to people of the smash community. Lets go

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605

Wanted to watch him but they didn't stream it lol, and knowing the TO's, I'm pretty sure they're not uploading anything anytime soon. Man if it has taken them MONTHS to upload results... My only hope is that they actually stepped up their TO abilities lol

In another notes, I'm getting worried about the next patch screwing us up in anything :/
Was it Leo? Man, that sounds awesome. I hope everyone is having fun there.
I'll push them to at least post their results here on SWF.

Anyway, I have come here to complain. Actually, flat our RANT.

I made a tournament today. It was a disaster.
First of all, it was meant to have Customs on, but my 3DS charger broke, before I could set them up. I finally got my hand on one saturday's afternoon, but I couldn't work until around midnight, so I spent all night doing it (daylight saving shift didn't help either).

So, the event happened. And a whooping total of ELEVEN people showed up. It was a swiss format, only three rounds because I expected like 20 at least (it's a weird format I'm experimenting with, next 19th we'll take in account today's victories and sum them up at the final bracket, next may 17th; people seemed happy with it although few people actually participated today).

Now, the venue had only 2 setups, two people were supposed to bring theirs but one didn't show up and the other simply couldn't bring it. The assistance was so low it didn't matter anyway. The problem is that one of these setups didn't have a GCC adapter so we had to deal with the venue's controllers (Pro, or those Mario Pro Controllers).
I won my first set in a Lucina ditto, lost the second to a guy with actual practice (he was good in Brawl and owns a Wii U) he 0-2'd me with Fox, and then I had to play at the non-adapter setup to face a Diddy who only spammed smash attacks and aerials, I grabbed the Mario pro controller and it went awful, it is uncomfortable and the shoulder buttons are not in the right places. I SD'ed THREE times, one each game, two of them at under 10%.
It couldn't have gone worse except if people didn't show up at all like it used to be two years ago when I made Brawl tournaments.

I expect next event to go better, I mean, it's spring break for most people are not even in town, but God, this is frustrating and I had flashbacks of previous failures.
[/color]

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The struggle my man. This performance is gonna put the fear of metaknight to people of the smash community. Lets go
Not only that, but we're going to continue to grow as well after that since more people will see the potential MK has.

Not gonna lie though, that 0 to death combo zero got on him game 3 was pretty nasty lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

warionumbah2

Smash Master

Nice a MK user despite going diddy for the most part took 2nd and a MK won a tournement, happy days happy days. Looking at MK from a logical stand point he shouldnt get nerfed, hes balanced in singles and FFA they just need to fix some stuff thats wrong with him such as:laggy landing after cape glitch, MK not snapping the ledge after tornado, hitboxes.

I pray he doesn't get nerfed, glad ito walked out the tourney taking at least 1 game from ZeRo. 2nd game he got blown away but that's mainly from dumb mistakes such as airdodging against ZeRos falcon. Like really ***** 0 to death.Then SDing twice in 2 different games, but them tornados were tight MKs need to take notes this move is the bomb.

Last edited:

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
Yeah, nice day for MK!! Good stuff to @ ItoI6 ItoI6 !!

about patches, a bit more grab range would be nice... there have been times when I just don't grab even when the other chars are in my face ._.

ZTD | TECHnology

Itol's MK is so sexy. Inspiration for me.

EDIT: I love our little community here. Smaller but tight knit. I dig it.

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Hey guys. I've heard about the Zero vs ItoI match. If anyone has a link I'd appreciate it. I saw the knee, though.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
I had to miss the match for work. Tag me if a video goes up. I've got a big tourney Saturday so I'm in practice/research mode for the whole week.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
A huge congratulations to Ito for making it to Winners and Grand Finals at NCR, and for taking a game off of ZeRo with Meta Knight. You did fantastic. Anyone who missed the match can watch it here: [LINK] Skip to 44:00 to watch the matches.

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
hey i just got back from ncr i had a really great time even though i didnt play mk at all the whole weekend until gf because honestly my diddy is just better and i wanted to stay warmed up with him. i dont want to john for how i did against zero but jeez unless you actually go on the stage with all the lights and **** and over 100 live people watching you you dont understand how hard it is. i was the 1st to go up and my hands were shaking the whole time so i just kept dropping combos and playing really badly but thats how it goes. i did play zero in friendlies for an hour or so at some dudes house on friday and did a lot better than what you guys saw with my diddy but in tournament he has like nerves of steel he just does not get nervous lol. im just so ****ing happy i beat zex after i went like 0-6 vs him in tournament in december or some horrible string of losses, and only recently when i had the chance to play him did i get a close set at the foundry but still lost, and finally beat him for the first time today.

im a bit upset because the payout was a ridiculously biased 70-20-10 split or thereabout, and i only got 250 and zero got 950+200 as a bonus which doesnt make much sense to me at all because every tournament i have ever attended was either 60-30-10 or 50-25-10-5-5 but its a bit late to complain now. the top 8 thought the payout was for all of them, and i was told that as well so im pretty happy to escape with 2nd haha. i honestly dont think my mk is that much worse than my diddy so it could be that the new patch will give him a slight edge but idk time will tell. i wish you guys wouldnt give me **** for playing diddy im just trying my hardest to win lol. im not trying to claim i main mk but i still use him pretty seriously regularly and thats gotta count for something i think

got 2nd in singles and doubles

Last edited:

AmishTechnology

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KIMPHIE
i wish you guys wouldnt give me **** for playing diddy im just trying my hardest to win lol
I can't blame you, $$$ is $$$ and no one's going to remember the guy that goes 50th place with Ike over 1-3rd with Diddy/Sheik (not that it's likely you'd place that low going MK only, but who knows you might have to face 5 Sonics in a row before facing ZeRo lol).

The fact that we got to see C Falcon vs MK is fan service enough. You took a game off him in front of a big ass audience in MK vs Falcon, that is honestly pretty impressive. The oopsies drill and holding down B during Dimensional Cape ledge grab made it evident how nervous you were, and honestly I can relate lol, that jittery jumpy feeling you can't just get rid of.

Here's to hoping MK gets some good fat buffs this patch!

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
We all got **** for playing MK in brawl so I doubt we'll give you **** for using Diddy lol just use who you want!
You did great, though, and with the new patch you'll probably stick with MK because of Diddy nerfs.

I'll personally be adding Mewtwo to my mains list, so that'll be around 6 characters that I'll be practicing a lot.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
70-20-10 split and the winner got an extra $200? What the ****? That's so stupid. I've never heard of any tournament doing that. Regarding tournament jitters, one thing I do at tournaments is bring headphones and plug them into the GamePad at setups while playing. It has helped me a lot because I have horrible focusing issues and can easily get distracted. If you were to buy a nice pair of noise cancelling headphones and do that at major tournaments, it might help you for blocking out distractions.

ZTD | TECHnology

I don't know what I'd do without my Beats by Dre studio headphones. My scene gets hype and LOUD and people screaming 2 feet behind me makes me play worse 70% of the time. Headphones definitely help if distraction is your roadblock.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Figured I'd go to the social threads and post my silhouettes!

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
This patch has me worried. Part of me thinks this patch is just going to fix jab "infinites" and nothing else. Another part thinks MK's going to get a buff he really doesn't need that could make him the new brain-dead easy character.

The only buff MK should get is less cooldown on his F-Tilt just to give him a better neutral game. Not even more range, just less cooldown. If he gets anything else too buffed, I really think MK might become the new Sheik or Diddy. He's already pretty darn close as is with his approach/combo/gimping-game. I say MK has a high learning curve but that's only at high-level play, for low- or mid-level/For Glory, MK's an easy to pick-up flowchart character. Sheik's the exact same way.

Actually, I take part of that back; he needs one more buff: Shield-Breaker Drill needs to actually break shields. It has one job. Like are you kidding me, Sakurai?

On a side note, I'm starting to really like SH F-Air. It's not nearly as punishable as I've been thinking. Very low damage tho with no follow-ups but it's decent in neutral.
Another side note, I gotta spend this week learning how :4miibrawl: works. Customs are legal at the tourney I'll be at Saturday so I don't want to get blindsided by this janky character. I'm already prepared to deal with the Wind God:4dk:.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
I also don't want MK to be braindead easy, im against sh aerials those who want it are basically asking for easy short cuts. Giving him sh aerials will lower the skill floor to stupid levels, i love playing dittos with MK because i'm able to tell if you're good or not.

I get MK dittos on FG and trust Kata they're awful, the beauty of MK is that it takes actual skill to combo. They go for poor follow ups and don't know how to use MK in neutral. If i beat a MK with my default Kirby they're doing something horribly wrong.

When the patch comes imma check everything MK has besides frame data, Mii Brawler has poor kill options he relies heavily on that spinning kick which is only threatening near the ledge. People pick the really small and light Mii so he's easy to kill, his mobility is dumb but his range is pathetic and he has a poor mans Mario bros nair.

If members start maining MK after he becomes braindead then i won't respect them it'll be clear that they're bandwagoners, but im positive he won't get buffed that much im leaning towards MK staying the same.

Last edited:

Fye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FE-Judge
I'm curious @ Katakiri Katakiri what tourney are you going to? Is it the "Class is Back I?" I'm heading up to Ohio this weekend for this tournament.

Top Bottom