• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Midwest Circuit: 2014

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I heard that SMYM might not be until the summer from the chi-facebook.

We could always maybe have that as the last event and have another IL be the first event.

Or have SMYM be the mid-way point tournament if that's how it happens, and if we need to get it started earlier.

I'd prefer to host in June or August.

mastr0fmyd0main3

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Minnesota should really host. We had 70 entrants at our last triweekly local with only two of them being out-of-staters. Madison, WI is over 4 hours from Minneapolis and only 2.5 hours from Chicago, where there is already going to be one of the main events. If Minnesota doesn't host, the closest events to Minneapolis are Madison, WI (4+ hours) and Omaha, NE (5.5 hours). Gross.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Oh, NE is only 5.5 hours away? I thought it was more like 7. I've only been to Minn once before.

Just another reason why Nebraska is the best place to meet up for us Northern States :) And why MN should get an event!

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Kishes are still down to host if it makes sense, but if Chicago has it covered, no worries.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
If there are tournaments in Indiana and Wisconsin, where would they be at?

At this point, I feel, other than having a starting event date locked down, that's the biggest issue is making sure that there are 4 events kinda close to each of the non-North Dakota MW scenes.

I just took point A and point B on google maps and took it from places around the MW to other places, and from what I see, the only fair way to do this for MN/SD is for WI to have an event too.

~6 Hours from main City hub tournaments. 7-8.5 hour drives with *

Minot ND-*MN (Omaha is just under 10 and they would come there).
So 1 tournament within 8 hours.

Huron SD-MN/NE. *KS/WI (chicago/STL are 10 hours)
2 tournaments within 6 hours, 2 in 8.

Omaha NE-MN/KS/MO. IL/WI* (Indiana if it's on the like the VERY FAR WEST CORNER is like 9 hours and I might consider traveling to it)
3 tournaments in 6 hours, 3 in 8.

Lawrence KS-NE/MO. MN/WI/KY/IL/IN*
2 tournaments in 6 hours, 6 in 8 hours.

Saint Louis MO-Literally every single place in the midwest east and west we would host other than MN is less than 8 hours away, which is really funny since MN and MO are a part of the MW:W circuit. Let me repeat that for emphasis. STL is closer to every single east event than one in MN that it is supposed to be grouped with.

Iowa City IA-Iowa city is less than 4.5 hours from every single one of it's Sub Circuit events including the IL championship events and a couple of MW:E events and is less than 8.5 hours from every event.

Minneapolis MN-WI/NE/IL. KS/MO*
4 in 6 hours, 2 in 8

Madison WI-MN/IL/MO. KS/OH/KY/IN/MI*
4 in 6 hours, 5 in 8
(the #'s from Eau Claire don't fudge the data too bad I did look at that since that's where YoshQ/toaster are from, only major travel difference are KS and MI, making it over an 8 hour drive, though it makes my drive way worse if I were to go there and I might :/ Madison is a better location by it being closer to the bottom/middle of WI)

Chicago IL-Only places more than a 7 hour drive from Chicago are NE and KS, and that's 7.something and 8.5.

Wherever IL-Same as Chicago but like 2 hours differences max in drive time.

Ann Arbor MI-OH/IN/KY/IL/WI. MO*
6 in 6 hours, 1 in 8

Indianapolis IN-WI/IL/MO/KY/MI/OH. KS*
7 in 6 hours, 1 in 8

Louisville KY-MO/IL/IN/MI/OH. WI/KS*
6 in 6 hours, 2 in 8

Columbus OH-MI/IN/IL/KY MO/WI*

5 in 6 hours, 2 in 8

Originally what I concluded: From the sounds of it, KY and WI would get about the same # of locals, and KY almost has it as easy as Iowa City in terms of not having to every really drive more than 5 hours for a tournament where as WI has a lot of potential long roads.

If we have it set at 4 events per and 2 IL events, I think it should be fair.
What I have come to now: Iowa not having an event sucks because it's right in the middle of the MW:W, but it's pretty fair for them to not have to drive far to get to any of the circuit events. Kentucky not having an event is similar because they have easy drives ahead of them. The only difference is that it doesn't do as much harm travel wise to not have an event there, except for Ohio.

Now, granted, MN, WI, KS and NE all get screwed over harder than OH does, but all the other scenes in the MW:E have to travel less than 5 hours to at least 5 of their events.

I just saw how far the OH players have to travel other than the MI/IN/IL events if KY doesn't have an event, and that doesn't seem as fair, just like things weren't fair for the MN players in the previous situation.

So I think we should just have 9 events plus the two in IL. Since we are just taking the 4 best scores, why not just let their be a 9th tournament and not really "Split" it up. We could still hold true to having a MW:W event then a MW:E event and then MW:W then MW:E etc...

KS, MO, NE, MN, WI, KY, OH, IN, MI and IL X2.

Also if we can find someone to host in Iowa, that would work and we could just do 10 like I said a while ago, but I suppose it's easier to do 8 events.

And if we do just 8 events (plus the 2 IL ones) we should let WI have an event and not KY.

Last edited:

viperboy_74

Smash Master
Thanks guys.

Juggleguy, I'll get something together here soon on breaking down points ratio etc that we can talk about here, that we can use in the first post of your thread.

Really sucks SMYM can't start this off now, but hopefully we get a day confirmed soon

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Lux and I are looking at sometime in early-mid June for Hype 4. Lawrence, KS event.

Coffeemug

Smash Journeyman
If we're putting up notices, I was looking at July for Cleveland, OH. I could do august as well though.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
If we are trying to keep stuff like 3 weeks apart or whatever for our subdivisions.

STL plans on early may-mid june

KS plans on early-mid june

When would MN like to host? July?

I'm very flexible, but I would prefer to be the one to coordinate the hosting of the Late July-Early August Event because I plan on going to North Carolina in that same time period so I could arrange it so I wouldn't miss a circuit event.

Juggleguy already said he's hosting June 7-8th. Are we trying to keep stuff 2 weeks apart in subdivisions or is KS/MI too far away to matter about having a weeks difference, as an example?

viperboy_74

Smash Master
within the next week i'll have some topics to get voted on here, for those who have been involved. once we get some decisions made on these things, i'll type something up about circuit information for all the TO's to attach to their main post, or even reserve the second post for it

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Lawrence event will most likely be the 14th or 21st of June

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
For the record, I don't think it's a big deal to have a one-week difference in events, even if they're on the same half of the Midwest circuit. Tournament oversaturation is a non-issue in 2014 from all indications so far this year.

GameGeeks

Smash Cadet
Iowa City IA-Iowa city is less than 4.5 hours from every single one of it's Sub Circuit events including the IL championship events and a couple of MW:E events and is less than 8.5 hours from every event.
Yeah! Woo, Iowa! I mean, uh... Game Geeks is available to host/TO/whatever.

Last edited:

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Something we need to discuss, now that I think it's obvious that every site is going to run at least Melee/PM singles

Is what do we do if a new version of PM comes out midway through the circuit?

I am in favor of keeping it whatever version we started out with...
but I am also understanding that players who go outside of the MW would be at a disadvantage nationally if they kept playing the dated version.

Any new news on SMYM or when we are looking to get things started?

viperboy_74

Smash Master
Playing the dated version sort of falls into the category of their own fault, if the new version is readily available for the public, therefore I think it'd be wise to update the tourney to the newest version

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
^^^^^

I'm waiting until the SMYM date announcemtn and after my tournament on the 19th to decide if/when the Nebraska circuit event is going to be, and I have talked to a few people from MN and we are gonna kinda try and schedule around each other.

Roux

Smash Journeyman
I have ONE free weekend this Spring. May 10. (Possibly June 14, but I may prefer to go camping that weekend.) If I hosted a tournament on this day in St. Louis, could it be on the MWW circuit? Otherwise we'll have to wait til August-ish. Any advice or reasons not to host that date?

Roux

Smash Journeyman
Ok, Toasted Ravs 4 is being held in St. Louis on May 10. I'm not sure if we want this to be part of the circuit, or wait til the Summer (Toasted Ravs 5). Either way is fine with me.

No OP yet, I've been busy.

Last edited:

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Yoooooooooooooo, whats going on with this?

After this past weekend, Nebraska is kinda feeling that revival I wanted and our smash scene has officially found an amazing, free, spacious and beautiful place to host, could hold like 150+.

viperboy_74

Smash Master
So sorry guys, I've just had a ton of stuff on my plate lately with tax time and organizing a bachelor party. I'm taking a vacation day tomorrow, and I'll spend a good part of it to put the announced tourneys together, and we'll get a lot of this stuff finalized.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Seriously, though, @ V viperboy_74 , I need to know if I am going to STL on the 10th or not soon and remember, you only get points at 4 events so even if you can't make that date due to a bachelor party, it COULD work for others.

Would like to start promoting my event soon. I think KS is ready to pull a trigger too. MI already has.

It's time.

viperboy_74

Smash Master
Seriously, though, @ V viperboy_74 , I need to know if I am going to STL on the 10th or not soon and remember, you only get points at 4 events so even if you can't make that date due to a bachelor party, it COULD work for others.

Would like to start promoting my event soon. I think KS is ready to pull a trigger too. MI already has.

It's time.
IMO, regardless of how far behind I am on putting something official together, TR4 was announced too late to give players the chance to attend. I think there should be a good month's notice to get the full potential a circuit deserves, and don't think it's a good idea to have TR4 lead us off for that reason

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Who all has events planned for May? It's kind of silly if we skip may and have the MI circuit event be the first one, unless we can get a IL one of their two to go first or something like that.

I don't want to go until after EVO at least and I think we are planning something bigger than I originally planned when I first posted in here, sponsors and ****, so stay tuned.

Roux

Smash Journeyman
I am leaning neutral on the TR4/circuit thing. It would be a good draw for my tourney, but I don't want to push for that decision because of those biased interests. The tourney itself was announced 1 month in advance, but not the fact that it would be circuit. It could be unfair to people that would have come had they known it was circuit in advance, but there are also extra tourneys built Ito the circuit requirements. So it could get the circuit momentum started, but we also could be putting the cart before the horse.

The last day I will be open to making tr4 circuit would be May 3, one week before the tourney. Whatever decision we have then let's end on that and not bring it up again.

Last edited:

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Just confirming with Rob that I do intend to host again when Smash 4 comes out (that includes both games, as well as still hosting Melee/P:M because I'm sure people will still be playing both.)

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Nebraska actually has a car going.

Not me though, there aren't any Lions in Detroit right now. Though I do kinda like Tigers.

Top Bottom