• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide The Marvellous Guide on Falco Lombardi - by bornfidelity.com v4.2

Ryan-K

Smash Master
Looking at those videos, I can say you're a great player compared to me. I personally have trouble consistently pulling off Shffl Sex Kicks and Dairs, as well as moving SHLs, and you seemed to pull them off rather smoothly in most of the matches. This may not be the right topic, but what in your opinion is the best way to practice those kinds of techniques? I know there are topics on wavedashes and how to pull those off, but you seemed experienced enough and helpful enough since your wrote this awesome Falco guide to know how to help me in practcing these advanced and in Falco's case, necessary techniques to use him to his fullest potential.

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
Ah, superdude, I put all those things in the guide. However, those vids don't really show accurately the things I know now, so I'm planning to rewrite the entire guide over the next coming days. In the meanwhile, check the guide, it tells you all I can help you with on shffng and SHLing and WDing.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
Ahh, it appears I missed that part, my fault. Anyway, i have reread the guide and am now practicing sffl sex kicks and shls. I can do SHLs rather consistently, but can't aim them like the SHL guide in Melee Discussion says you should be able to. Also, forgive me if this is in the guide already(however I have searched already, but I may have simply missed it), but is wavedash as essential to Falco's game as say, the SHL or Shffl?

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
SHLing and shffling are, IMO, just a tad more important than his WD, at first - but without WDash you'll find yourself hitting a ceiling at one point. Incorporating WD in your game hands you a ladder to reach the next floor, as to speak ^__^.
Besides, you need to learn waveshining anyway ^^
(as in, wavedashing out of shine as to continue comboing).

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
yes wavedashing is an important tech skill to keep in mind with falco when doing mind games. dont roll alot, like umm....bornfidelity :ohwell:

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
^_^

like, when i'm using a ****ed up controller which makes wding a pain in the ***? ^^
i'm heading to france tomorrow, i'll see if i can record some vids of me there with my own controller ;)

yeah yeah no johns, doh

Anyway...
I've sortof reread the entire guide and edited about half of it. It's a lot better now. Comment please? ^^

Meteor-Smasher65

Smash Cadet
Here are a few things you might want to add:

Comboes-If you put a few basic comboes, lackers of imagination might be able to get an idea, therefore allowing them to build up their own. Giving out more details about how to start, pick up if the enemy gets out(tech=techpunish/DI=SHL...etc.) and finish the combo would also be great.

"Tests"-This idea comes from AngeloBangelo's Falcon guide, which was creating a scenario on FD(to avoid complications) by giving out the place, state and percentage of the two combatants and testing what the reader would do in a multiple-choice question.E.X.:
a)roll backwads and start spamming SHLs
b)dash forward into dtilt
c)Firebird into opponent
d)wavedance to attempt a grab
(the answer is the one with the highest chances of succeeding)

Peach-It's almost a must to put Peach in the character matchups knowing how people get smoked real badly by her DSmash and turnips(like me).

Oh, and nice guide by the way.

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
Ok, so, I'm still working hard on the character matchups, but I have to be extremely careful not to post bullcrap there right ;)
About the tests, err, not my kind of cake. My guide is entirely for information, and that goes for the set combos too, I made this guide to teach Falco players anything there is to learn about Falco. If I handed them combos, or to do this or that in a certain situation, I'd be hindering them in developing their own style of Falco.

Pjv

Smash Apprentice
bornfidelity.com said:
First you jump, and then you DI forwards, up to the peak of your jump, then you let go of the controlstick, and B + fastfall. Presto, you've moved forward just about the length of a shoe.

But wait, there's more! You can also move backwards while shooting forwards. For the shoe-distance, just jump, but DI backwards, and then let go and B at the peak of your jump.
When I do this, I end up shooting in the direction I do a Phantasm, or I shoot backwards when I DI backwards. Are you sure that SH-DI-B-FF is the correct order? Help please!

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
Originally Posted by bornfidelity.com
First you jump, and then you DI forwards, up to the peak of your jump, then you let go of the controlstick, and B + fastfall. Presto, you've moved forward just about the length of a shoe.

But wait, there's more! You can also move backwards while shooting forwards. For the shoe-distance, just jump, but DI backwards, and then let go and B at the peak of your jump.

When I do this, I end up shooting in the direction I do a Phantasm, or I shoot backwards when I DI backwards. Are you sure that SH-DI-B-FF is the correct order? Help please!
Ok, so if you were talking about the first thing you quoted me about - the shoe-length thing - it's really important that you DI for just a moment and then put the control stick back to neutral position BY HAND. To repeat that, DO NOT let go of the control stick. THis is not only bad for your controller, it also backfires something in the other direction which makes you shoot the wrong direction occasionally. You should return the control stick to center position just by hand (thumb). But do so before you press B or you will phantasm. And that sucks. ;)
Btw, to everything in the game - including 'far' SHLs, applies that you should return the control stick to center position by hand (thumb). It smoothens your game, too.

About the second thing, thanks for pointing that to me, it's a flaw in my guide! Damm. FOr the shoelength backwards movement to forward SHL, you should first turnaround backwards and then jump, and the turningaround movement will give you some momentum backwards, and then you tap forwards, return to neutral position and B. If you find that the turningaround doesn't give you enough momentum, you could DI first but it gets way harder then.
ALthough you'd rather dash backwards and jump and tap forwards and SHL, you'd have covered greater distance then but I find it way more useful. Or you could WD backwards and SHL in place.

Damm I'm editing the guide right now, thanks dude.

NG7

Smash Lord
You can change "Approachal" to "Approach" if you want. :) Otherwise good job on the guide.

SmashMac

Smash Lord
I like this guide. Make more character match-ups, I learned from the character match-ups you already have, but what about against Samus, or Captain Falcon o.o?

Pjv

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, you could edit your guide, because the SHL part doesn't tell what you should do in much detail. ;)

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
Ok, so I hope the SHLing is very very clear as it is, now. I'm working on the characters matchups but that's a lot of work and also a lot of time to play multiple opponents with those characters to an extent as to put as good information as possible.

MrPBody

Smash Journeyman
Yeah some Samus, Falcon, Falco, SHEIK!!!!!! >_<, Doc, Link, Ganon match ups would be nice.
I don't know how falco can exactly **** sheik cuz I played alot of good sheiks, so tips on expert sheiks would be nice =)
(CMON SHEIK! HOW CAN U FORGET!!!) lol

That BS vs Ken vids can be nice, such as BS going off the stage n jumping back with a 2x blaster.
Platform shine combos
jab combos (floaters at about 100%... jab>(fmsash, upsamsh, nair)

But excellent guide, I cant find anyone good Falco's around South Central LA >_>

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
KyUuKyUu said:
Is there any way to survive if you get knocked a bit below the stage (ie you can't phantasm to the ledge) while you're against a Fox that's just standing on the ledge? I got shinespiked repeatedly by my friend today cuz of this, it's pissing me off >_<
There is, actually, sometimes, don't listen to Sparkie ;) (no offence dude ^_^)
Use mindgames. If you you get knocked below stage (which shouldn't happen because there aren't many attack of Fox that will actually send you downwards) and it's to late to phantasm to sweetspot, you could try using firebird to sweetspot, firebird to the Fox or firebird staright up to DI to grabbing the ledge. OR you could shine to slow your movement and hence faking out Fox as he will be jumping out and shining you, missing and you can return a bit more safely. OR the most wisest thing to do, is use shine as soon as possible after you were hit to cancel the momentum, and save your second jump, or use your second jump to walljump the edge to phantasm. Be creative.

However, if you are below stage, within Fox's first jump-reach, and you haven't gotten your second jump left - you're basically screwed.

Sparkie009

Smash Apprentice
Fox's shine is basically the only thing Fox has over Falco in this matchup. Fox is easily comboable, due to his fastfalling, Falco has more range, Falco kills Fox easier than vica versa and so you can go on. Fox's shine is what keeps this matchup pretty even. I learned that at our last tourny. All the stocks I lost to a Fox were a shinespike.

Thomaz

Smash Lord
Actually, shine isn't the only thing Fox has. Fox can Upthrow chainthrow Falco pretty long and finish with Uptilts/Upsmash to Uairs. It's easy damage. Sure, it won't kill him fast but the damage is there and a Bair or Nair can get the Falco of the edge fast. Also, just random Uptilts on mid % is good too. Uptilt to Bair, too good.

****, I want to play a Falco now, lol. BF, get your *** here, now! >_>

Edit: I didn't see it in your guide, but vs Marth, I advise you to avoid chosing FD. I'm well aware it's a shl paradise, but against Marth that chaingrabs good, you're dead meat. 0-death is so easy here.

shadowhunter

Smash Journeyman
thomaz u forgot about the downsmash edgeguard and random f tilts
why shinespike while u can safely do a downsmash :ohwell:

KingWayne

Smash Rookie
Its funny because , I was a smash head 3 years ago. I put down the sticks and now I getting back into smash. I always used falco but not at his highest potential. How long will it take before one gets comfortable with shffl's with l-cancelling into different combos with the shine and Dair variations. I'm having a hard time with the timing. It's only been one day since I picked up the sticks. Any suggestions?

Thanks

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
In a week/two weeks shfflng will become a breeze. WD might be a bit harder - and for SHL, that depends entirely on how comfortable you are with it (as does the rest but especially with SHL). I've seen Falcos shffling their ***** off and wavedashing as if hovercrafts - and them not knowing how to SHL over even to use SHL for approachal ;__;

Good luck though.

Thomaz

Smash Lord
bornfidelity.com said:
In a week/two weeks shfflng will become a breeze. WD might be a bit harder - and for SHL, that depends entirely on how comfortable you are with it (as does the rest but especially with SHL). I've seen Falcos shffling their ***** off and wavedashing as if hovercrafts - and them not knowing how to SHL over even to use SHL for approachal ;__;

Good luck though.
lolz.

Frenchies ftw.

AS Money

Smash Lord
dude this is a great guide but in your intro fox is not hard to master hes just cheap

kmgamer

Smash Apprentice
Wow. I just read your guide for the first time and I must say that it is pretty good. One thing that I, personally, would add is taunting with falco (not up on the d-pad). Taunting with falco is the main reason that I play him. I love to show off my technical skill with him by a complex display of my technical skillz. I use SHFFL'd u-air shines, SHFFL'd d-air shines, just SHFFLing aerials, or my favorite, shine SHLing. It's just my silent way of bragging and showing off how insanely good my technicals are, but it also helps me keep up my speed inbetween stocks. Just a thought.

Bluefire

Smash Rookie
Good uses for the other throws

1. Throw+Down
What I like to do with this is throw the opponent down, and then use dtilt to get them to fly up into the air. You can then make combos more easily. Also, if you do this, there is pretty much no escape (on human players or CPU). This works wonders at high damage.

2. Throw+Up
I do what Fidelity basically does.

3. Throw+Backwards or Forwards
I just use short-hopping after this along with spiking, shining, or the blaster. You could make some easy combos with this.

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
Bluefire said:
1. Throw+Down
What I like to do with this is throw the opponent down, and then use dtilt to get them to fly up into the air. You can then make combos more easily. Also, if you do this, there is pretty much no escape (on human players or CPU). This works wonders at high damage.
*sighs*

I put this in the guide as well: human players (and rarely CPUs) TECH OUT OF THE DTHROW
Techchasing ok. But CPU combos like dthrow to shine or something probably won't work.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Bluefire said:
1. Throw+Down

2. Throw+Up
I do what Fidelity basically does.

3. Throw+Backwards or Forwards
I just use short-hopping after this along with spiking, shining, or the blaster. You could make some easy combos with this.
you cant make ANY combos with the down, back, and forward throw. maybe the humans you play with should learn how to not get hit. :psycho: sheild? move left or right... these simple movements aren't hard to do...

Ryan-K

Smash Master
Throughout the whole guide you never seem to mention how utilt outprioritizes nearly everything Fox has. You also seem to underrate the usefulness of utilt, as it has dangerous priority and is a great comboing tool.

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
Hmm, well, although good for *some* comboing and *some* outprioitizing, it's fairly easy to DI out of. THe main thing about utilt is it's fast comeout when someone's behind you. But I should update the moveset again. It's been a while, I learned alot (H)
The priority thing is actually true, I just haven't put it in yet. next update. ^^

Top Bottom