• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide The Marvellous Guide on Falco Lombardi - by bornfidelity.com v4.2

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
Err, it was a joke... but while you're asking, IMO, Sonic lacks personality, a certain amount of depth, and insight into his being as a character.
Or, simply put, I'm a Nintendo Fanboy ^_^

Gier

Smash Cadet
Answering your Question

To answer one of your previous questions:

The PAL Falco's DAir spikes in every frame of the animation on any part of his body, while in HAL it's only the first bit and his legs that spike (as I understand). Great guide, though; it's helped me (Falco main, Doc sub) out a lot.

I agree; I just watched six Ken vs. Bombsoldier fights, and you might consider another update regarding some of his stuff.

DDRKirby(ISQ)

Smash Ace
in NTSC Dair spikes throughout the entire move.

in PAL it only spikes if you hit them with the beginning of it.

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
Hm, just adding stuff that one player (ab?)uses, takes a lot of time for not that much result, the schools have reopenend, and frankly, I've got a lot of things on my hands next to updating this guide ^_^. Anyway, I'll check some things of bombsoldier to the guide in due time.

NovaWave

Smash Journeyman
I'll give you credit. You're guide was the #1 reference for everything I learned. Even though you always told me to refer to it XD Near perfect Falco is almost complete. Only practice and playing in tournies will help me now. Thanks alot for this guide, it improved my game 1000 fold.

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
Update 1.6 was a minor one. I'm planning on an entire new section on how to actually 'play' with Falco, including the mindgames, the tricks etc. That's for 1.7 - but that's a wait away ^_^

theperson91

Smash Apprentice
edit: O, oops, i didn't see your last post, about how your going to make an addition about how to really play him, but you can read what I said if you want for some suggestions.

Your main problem I think is that you never really draw stuff together. There's a quick finish about some minor combos and some approaches, but the majority of your guide is just what the moves are. I think you really need to bring more stuff together, like really talk about how to approach them at low damage, different approaches, maybe good combos in the upper percentages, how to finish them off, etc. I just really think you have to explain the essence of actually playing falco than just saying what each of his moves is and how to do advanced moves. For example, you just say mind games. I really think you need to go more in depth with mind games, like approaching mind games. Throwing mind games, and maybe some comboing mind games. Also, with your set ups, you don't completely say how to get into them. Like you say up throw, but you don't say I don't think about jump canceled grabs. Another thing, wavedashing, unless I missed something, all you really said was how to do it. You didn't really tie it to mind games or edgehogging. I mainly just think that this is a great start to a guide, but you really need to go more in depth of the playing of falco.

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
Well, that the X-Factor when making a guide - the hard thing about it, is that you have to teach people everything they need to know in order to create their own game, their own style. By telling you everything Falco CAN do, I give you a number of options - and these options you will have to explore yourself, about how to use them, when to use them.
You say I should draw stuff together, but, well, NO, that's what you should do, to your own liking and experience.
Although I AM working for the next update to contain a new section about how to use mindgames, and what situations require what kind of action, or what sort of move; but the job of putting it all together is up to you, depending on how you play, what you like to do, and most importantly, what you like to be as a Melee-player.

If the guide just said what to do in every imaginable situation, the world will only gain a number of Falco players who do exactly the same thing. You can see how that's not a good thing.
^_^

Thanks for the suggestions though.

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
Err, can't believe I haven't added that. the Phantasm (as well as the Illusion) can be shortened drastically, by mashing the B button as soon as you do the attack. So instead of side+b it's side+bbbbbbbbbbbb. ^_^
THere's prolly some timing to it, but mashing works just fine.
It's useful not very often, but let's say you're hanging on the edge, you ledgedrop, jump, and do side+b above the stage. Chances are up that the opponent will proceed somewhat further to the middle of the stage, where your Phantasm was supposed to take you, but instead, you do a short one and land just on the edge (and spam SHL or something nice like that).

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
There is in fact some timing aspect to the shortened Illusion. Multiple "B" presses are unnecessary; it is in fact only a single press as you are moving in the Illusion to shorten it. The Illusion will stop at whichever point that you press "B." As such, for the shortest Illusion possibly, simply time your "B" press in relation to the Illusions' distinctive "ping" cue. You can of course shorten it incrementally, given this information.

Nice guide, bornfidelity.com. Keep up the good work. :)

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
maybe it's just me, but i dont see the reverse shl / forward shl technique anywhere in ur guide. it can be a really useful techinque once mastered since (for the newbs) you can jump away and torwards ur oppenent while spamming ur lasers.

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
foxandfalco said:
i said reverse shl, but w/e. im too lazy to look
Yeah I know, but that section includes anything on the SHL - INCLUDING the RSHL. If you're too lazy to look than don't go saying it's just not in there <_<

NovaWave

Smash Journeyman
I like the addition of the BombSoldier tricks if thats what you wanna call them. I can do the Fire Bird on the ledge easy, but it's good that you have it in there. Hopefully more Falco's like BombSoldier will be popping up cuzza your guide :laugh:

Motoslave

Smash Rookie
Not to be nitpicky, but perhaps you should add pillaring to the table of contents and/or in the glossery of terms. I was pulling my hair apart trying to find it in there (doing "find in this page" for pillaring dosen't work, amazingly enough, haha. since you never use the word "pillaring" when you discuss it)

Thank you for your hard work on the guide. :)

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
'course I compete in tournaments ^_^

Hosted one just yesterday. Admittedly, I'm not just a match against the real pro's, but I'm improving... there's supposably a larger tourney in october, DT11 (yet to be confirmed though), I'll see how I'll do there.

soberfox

BRoomer
BRoomer
Um..it's pretty good. I've been playing Falco for over 2 years now though, so it didn't really teach me anything. I was hoping you would have added his matchups vs all the characters, but oh well. Also, maybe get into some of the more complex and technical Falco stuff...this is all very general information that everyone (well, most everyone) already knows....but maybe you wrote this guide for the n00b Falco player, I dunno. :p

I know all that sounds harsh...but it's not meant to be. The guide really isn't that bad, just isn't very advanced is all. Oh, and add matchups.

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
Heh, how advanced do you want to have it? If I go anymore advanced I'd just be telling people how to play, and I attach a lot of value to that people develop their own style.

Character matchups has been an idea for a while now, but sadly, I have to conclude I do not have enough experience yet to provide with effecte and accurate character matchups. They might come in time. There's a lot of schoolwork piling up, anyways.

white peachy

Smash Ace
NovaWave said:
I like the addition of the BombSoldier tricks if thats what you wanna call them. I can do the Fire Bird on the ledge easy, but it's good that you have it in there. Hopefully more Falco's like BombSoldier will be popping up cuzza your guide :laugh:
peeps like bombsoldier don't read guides, they're the ones your write guides about.

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
*has started adding char. matchups* yay! There's Marth and Fox... now just hope that I didn't totally screwed up ^_<

@ Soberfox; what advanced stuff were you talking about? Kind of everything I know is in this guide, kind of everything 'the pros' do is in this guide. If you think something is missing, you might as well be a bit specifix ^_^

Zanguzen

Smash Lord
lol born i think ure guide is perfectly fine cus it will go awesome with my advanced guide theres not much more u can add before u start getting too specific in terms of style which ill be covering lol nyway do wutcha do heh

Dopey

Smash Lord
"If you've ever played a decent Marth, you know you want to avoid aerial combat"

that couldnt be more untrue, falcos air moves own, back airs, down airs sex kick, its better to trade a spike with falco for a fair with marth, depending on your %s that is, cause ur still gonna be above him, and u can come down with a spike, then fly up and spike him agin. cause u dont want marth controlling the air, 1/2 of falcos game is in the air, so y would u wanna be 50% ? falco is just 2 good

food 4 thought

AngeloBangelo

Smash Lord
This is a well thought out guide.
Check out my Falcon guide. It's pretty gosu and rivals yours in awesomeness (Possibly exceeding it in awesomeness).

Top Bottom