• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide The Marvellous Guide on Falco Lombardi - by bornfidelity.com v4.2

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I'd just thought I'd let you know, no offense by the way, but I didn't find the guide too incredibly helpful, and I'm pretty Falco ignorant. I now know when to do which moves and what are the most import moves, but essential techniques, like SHL for instance, were explained poorly and a lot of the guide seemed disorganized. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed reading the guide and it still helped a lot. I'm just giving you constructive critizisim.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Oops, I thought that was an older post. Sorry. But while I'm here, I was practicing with Falco earlier today and is it better to wait a second before fast falling to SHL or to learn how to switch between X and B so quickly it's irrelevant? Because when I try to go my quickest, I usually just **** the laser, but if I wait a second to fast fall I can control and more or less aim the laser, but my SHL becomes slightly slower.

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
aim >>> speed in most cases.
the most important thing is that you're able to keeop the momentum of moving forwards or backwards while shooting a laser as low as possible (unless you want it to hit higher, but thats just for peaches and jigglypuffs :p).
anyway
after jumping, you B as fast as possible, and then with your fastfall you control the height of your laser. or at least thats the most practical option.

MasterGary

Smash Ace
this guide didint realy tell me anything i didint alredy kno. but thats mainly because i watch lots of bomb soldier video's and practice what he does. i didint read the whole thing but reading what these ppl post it seems that there is 1 thing that i shud chek out and thats the firebird ont he edge. because that the 1 things bombsoldier does besides his high speed combos that i cant do.

i lernt how to do the firebid thingy now so dont realy bother with this post.

marthsword

Smash Ace
I felt the guide was pretty general, and you need to touch up on pillaring and a few other falco techs. Also, include what stages he does well on. I really did like it though, + rep.

Tipo mastr

Smash Lord
telling people that my name is pronouced "Typ
Hey Born...I was answered a "I need help against doc" thread and i accidently wrote a huge character guide against doc >_> You think you could add this to the character matchup section?

Right. So against doc, there isn't much that falco can abuse. This means you're not going to have an easy way out of this matchup. Doc has many good things on falco, like chaingrabbing and cape edgegaurding. As for the cape, you first want to make sure you're sweetspotting correctly...I'm not sure but i think it's harder to cape someone who sweetspots just right. If not, you're going to have to ledge tech it. It's probably a beast to do as falco, but it will come in handy if he uses it alot.

Ok, most doc's like to pill spam. The obvious solution is to reflect the pills, but make sure you don't do it when doc is very close to you. Sometimes Docs like to shoot pills at you so you reflect them, and then they punish you in the lag from reflecting the pill. Make sure you avoid this. Try to counter attack with lasers. Don't spam lasers too much, he'll catch on and cape them back in your face right away.

In hand to hand combat, there really isn't much you can abuse like i said before. You'll need a lot of mindgames to win this matchup. The first thing is not to get grabbed too much. Docs and marios LOVE to chaingrab, and since doc has some very powerful finishers, getting grabbed is not good. Use every trick you can think of to attack without leaving yourself vunerable for a grab/shield grab. Dash attacks, shffls, SHLs, and jabs are nice ways to get around his grabs. Use the SHL as an approach and follow it up. Make sure you do dash attacks at short range so you go flying past their sheild to avoid the shield grab. If you jab and hit him, immediately follow up with a JC grab. I suggest dthrow-techchase or do upthrow and juggle him. Since doc really has no aerial attacks that can outprioritize your utilt or shffl uair, make sure that when you uthrow him, you get a hit or two in before he touches the ground. Also, ftilt can be very nice against his shield if you space it right...although his WD may be fast enough to WD out of sheild to grab you, so watch out. If you SHL as an approach to a shffl dair/nair/bair, i suggest making it so you land behind his shield. There's really not that much you can do with the shine in this matchup. If anything, it should be used as a follow up to a shffl so you can avoid a counter attack if you miss. I'm pretty sure you can do dair-shine-etc, but it has limited uses besides just racking up some damage.

Finishing the doc: Use your normal killing blows on him. Try to surprise him with random fsmashes, dtilts, and dsmashes. I recommend SHL approach to jab, grab, dsmash etc if he tends to turtle in his sheild. If he's sheild grab happy, try running at him, reverse SHL, and when he grabs, dsmash/dtilt/fsmash him. However, your best bet as to killing is edgegaurding doc...

Edgegaurding: Doc's recovery is one of the things that makes this matchup almost/pretty much even. Firstly, his recovery is pretty short. Second, it's easy to edgegaurd. There are two ways you can approach this. You can stay on the ledge and attack. If you can time it good, a dair or dsmash can hit below the ledge and hit even sweetspotters. However, watch out for the ledge tech. Ledge teching is very easy with doc, especially against falco. If you are facing a doc you know can tech well, start off the edgegaurding with a dair so you can react quicker with another dair or a dsmash. If you're facing a doc that you havent faced before, make the assumption that he can ledge tech. Another somewhat circumstantial tactic is to stay on the ledge with your back facing off the stage. When he uses the b-up, use an uptilt. If done right, he should fly into the air, where you can hit him with a bair/nair/etc.

The second option for edgegaurding is to edgehog or to go off the stage and hit him further. If he's far away from the ledge, a simple edgehog should be fine. Make sure you recover with L/R, because that's the ledge recover that makes the game think you're on the edge longest after you've pressed L/R to recover. It also gives you some invincibility frames. Now, if it looks like he's going to recover, do a ledgehopped bair or dair(but make sure you land on the stage with the dair). If you happen to be on the stage, try running off, fastfalling, and jumping up with a dair...this really surprises the opponent and I've gotten many kills from it. However, you'll find that against doc most of the times, an edgehog will work fine.

Right, feel free to edit this as much as you want, born ;)

Ijuka

Smash Ace
Up B - Firebird

Falco's other recovery move, and his only way of recovering vertically (although his jumps usually cover most of the distance). It's startup lag is really really terrible, and I'm only going to say this once - do NOT use this an attack, EVER (never say never, right, but really, avoid using this at all costs, except maybe for an occasional mindgame).
I do use it as an attack >_> And so does masterTK. it works really well, actually. Say, you combo a Fox, and finish with a shine-uair, which they DI back, so it goes straight up. Then they are off the screen, you jump and start charging. They will fall to the range of the attack by the time the charge time is over, but they still won't fall fast enough to interrupt you charging it.

Now, they are off the screen, and can't see their character all that well. So maybe they will mess up the timing for a hit to outprioritize this atttack. And, they can't afford to even trade hits with it, because they would just be dead afterwards. So they will msot likely be killed by it, it works surprisingly well, and is embarrassing as well. ^_^ If they airdodge it or something, you just finish the firebird, fastfall to ground, and you will hit the ground before them. You will have zero lag from that, and can kill them while they are landing from their air dodge.

I think you should try to add this to your guide or something.. however dumb it sounds, it really does work. Credit would go to TK, unless someone figured it out first.. at least he figured it out himself.

_Pedochu

Smash Cadet
It seems that I say this for every guide, but you need some eye candy. A massive wall of white text hurts your eyes and loses your attention. You need some color and some better formatting. For instance, in the first part of advanced techniques there is no spacing, it is all stuck together. That doesn't make it an enjoyable read. Also, some of it seems mixed up. Short Hop Laser, for instance seems to be placed randomly. Otherwise, it was a helpful guide and I'm sure many other people felt that way. Just take my advice about formatting and I'm sure it will be much more enjoyable.

mr_joey132

Smash Ace
lol :p hmm ik praat wel engels dan.. is makkelijker =)

How do you mean don't let go of R?

And there are lots of Dutch smashers, lol.

Zgetto

Smash Ace
lol :p hmm ik praat wel engels dan.. is makkelijker =)

How do you mean don't let go of R?

And there are lots of Dutch smashers, lol.

i think he means dont let go R after the airdodge(ofcourse you have to let go R if you wanna wavedash again)
but since you wavedash with R hold L while wavedashing with R, thats how i do it.

mr_joey132

Smash Ace
hmm, I don't want to shield after the wavedash, I wanna use it mainly to punish Fsmash spamming marth's, wavedash out of shield and then grab 'em.
But I can't get used to R --> jump / release R --> press R again, so I was hoping that there is an easier way to waveshield.

Zgetto

Smash Ace
hmm, I don't want to shield after the wavedash, I wanna use it mainly to punish Fsmash spamming marth's, wavedash out of shield and then grab 'em.
But I can't get used to R --> jump / release R --> press R again, so I was hoping that there is an easier way to waveshield.

didnt you read my post? : /
instead of sheilding with R , sheild with L and then you can wavedash out of it the normal R way

edit: oh and the way you explained it it seems just like a normal wavsdash out of sheild (just let go the sheild and wavedash :/)
wavesheilding = wavedash -> sheild -> wavedash etc..
you have to hold r or l after the wavedash or else it isnt a wavesheild i quess

mr_joey132

Smash Ace
hmm, I was messing around a bit.. and then I noticed I could also waveshield by holding R, jumping, and then press A.. does anyone use this? or has some pros / cons about it?

cyberdemon

Smash Journeyman
MVC and SSBM are two different games. They can't be compared.
At least, that's what a friend of mine used to say....

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I knoe that Tier list is from MLG since it is different from AlphaZealot's tier list. Thank you. I will use these tactics to prove my cousin wrong about Falco.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
The Falco Phantasm lacks proirity so you should be careful where you can use it, because any non grab related attack, including the Falcon and Warlock punches, can cut you off if they time it properly.

Top Bottom