• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide The Mario Match-Up Discussion Thread

doctorayegee

Smash Cadet
I'm having a tough time trying to recover versus Marth. Not just getting on the ledge, but trying to gain back stage control. I feel like every option on the ledge gets me forward smashed. Is trying to bait it by leaving/regrabbing the ledge a good option?
Yes, I've seen A Rookie do it before.

a rookie

Smash Ace
Any tips against a shiek?
Yes!

-chain throws

-uptilt/upair her if you want to stuff her aerials

-cape her recovery where applicable(certain angles/distances)

-try not to nair approach(very lag move and can get easily grabbed by her)

-try not to get grabbed

-work on your tornado, a good recovery = a good player

Any specific things, let me know. That's all I can think of at the top of my head.

Take_the_red_pill

Banned via Warnings
Yes!

-chain throws

-try not to get grabbed

Any specific things, let me know. That's all I can think of at the top of my head.
Good post for any mario looking to beat sheik. Personally i believe sheik to not be too bad for mario compared to doc and sheik is a difficult character for many new players to understand. I think an in depth sheik v mario analysis will be called for later on

doctorayegee

Smash Cadet
Yes!

-chain throws

-try not to get grabbed

I approach with the nair a lot. I guess I have to stop doing that. Thanks for the tips!

a rookie

Smash Ace
Good post for any mario looking to beat sheik. Personally i believe sheik to not be too bad for mario compared to doc and sheik is a difficult character for many new players to understand. I think an in depth sheik v mario analysis will be called for later on
I agree! In depth analysis should be soon! We can discuss that on KoopaTroopa's post: http://smashboards.com/threads/mario-match-up-guide-2014.352069/

I approach with the nair a lot. I guess I have to stop doing that. Thanks for the tips!
Nair is ok sometimes. Catching them in the air if you read their jump or pull back nair on shield to chip some of their shield away. As an approach it's really risky just because it's slow enough for someone to just react to and counter(WD back grab/ftilt/dsmash/etc.)

doctorayegee

Smash Cadet
I agree! In depth analysis should be soon! We can discuss that on KoopaTroopa's post: http://smashboards.com/threads/mario-match-up-guide-2014.352069/

Nair is ok sometimes. Catching them in the air if you read their jump or pull back nair on shield to chip some of their shield away. As an approach it's really risky just because it's slow enough for someone to just react to and counter(WD back grab/ftilt/dsmash/etc.)
Yeah, my friend would always shield grab me when I approached him with the nair. I'll use it on him when he's in the air and defenseless.

a rookie

Smash Ace
Yeah, my friend would always shield grab me when I approached him with the nair. I'll use it on him when he's in the air and defenseless.
Yup, gotta be as conservative as possible w/ nair approach. Doc can use it effectively since it gets stronger the longer it's out. Damn that character! Lol.

Luken3ssmonster

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone!
I went to CEO this past weekend and went 2-2 in Melee. I'm from Jacksonville, FL and I've played Melee for a long time and I've decided to abandoned boring old Marth and Sheik and stick with Mario.

After reading a couple of these posts I have a couple of questions.

How on earth do you beat Peach?
How is Jiggs 5-5?
What's Mario's best stage? (I think it's Yoshi's story)
How do you deal with Falco's lasers?

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
Personally, I feel like the Zelda MU is pretty much even. You can't combo her really except at low % and even then its not much and her bair/fair send Mario flying. I feel like Mario has the slight edge but its just one of those weird MU's imo. Granted, Mario could just fireball spam.... hm.... I should do that.

Also, how is the Falcon MU 55-45? I feel like Mario would get his **** pushed in thoroughly by Falcon.... Like 65-35?

Last edited:

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys I main Marth but I have Mario as a secondary. I love playing the guy he's so fun xD. Anyways I was wondering if there are any matchups that Mario would do better in than Marth on paper. I doubt Sheik is one of them. What about against Low-Tiers that I don't have much experience with?

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
Hey guys I main Marth but I have Mario as a secondary. I love playing the guy he's so fun xD. Anyways I was wondering if there are any matchups that Mario would do better in than Marth on paper. I doubt Sheik is one of them. What about against Low-Tiers that I don't have much experience with?
Pikachu and Young Link. Down throw chain grab. :) Pikachu would be a nuisance for Marth considering Pikachu could just bait out a move and go in that way so Mario would remedy that. YL because Marth has no projectile, Mario does plus the chain grab.

Scidadle

Smash Champion
I'd probably say Falcon vs Mario is 60-40 Falcon. If you can avoid getting combo'd by uairs and from getting your jump stolen the MU becomes much more bearable. Utilt is very good in the MU because it usually trades/beats nair approaches aswell as setups up for some great combos. Another great thing to do vs falcon with utilt is uair and then utilt to stuff his punish attempts on the missed/shielded uair.

a rookie

Smash Ace
Yeah, it could be 60-40. But I think it might be a little better for us than that. Even if the Falcon knows the MU, I feel like we can stuff a lot of his stuff. But then again, if they play really lame, then it's extremely tough. Learned that from playing Silent Spectre at Evo XD

Scidadle

Smash Champion
I played gravy in some friendlies at Big House and I just got destroyed. He capitalizes so hard off a nair, harder than any other falcon I've played.

a rookie

Smash Ace
I played gravy in some friendlies at Big House and I just got destroyed. He capitalizes so hard off a nair, harder than any other falcon I've played.
Oh dang, for real? Yeah, I guess it's the same for S2J. He doesn't destroy me all the time, but sometimes it feels like I'm combo food if I don't DI down and away. Did he 3 stock you?

j3ly

Smash Champion
probably not a whole lot.

but me and schlimmshady (Ices main training partner, and he mains mario) are using double mario as a team at B.E.A.S.T 5, and that should be awesome :)

a rookie

Smash Ace
probably not a whole lot.

but me and schlimmshady (Ices main training partner, and he mains mario) are using double mario as a team at B.E.A.S.T 5, and that should be awesome :)
Yo, you better get that stuff recorded! Yeah, I talk to Schlimmshady sometimes :p He's pretty good!

Diana's Safe Landing

Smash Apprentice
Would anyone be interested in making a list of moves that are good to crouch cancel against for all the high tiers? Or at least the really important ones. I want to up my CC game but I'm not sure when it's best to crouch cancel especially against fox/falco.

BasicallyRyan

Smash Cadet
I'm having difficulties with the Falcon/Marth match ups. There are a bit of things I'm confused on;
First, what maps are dos and donts. After searching youtube I've found most marios favor playing on Yoshi's but against Marth and Falcon, I don't know how this would pan out. Should I prioritize picking BF and DL?

FoxeR

Smash Cadet
Im trying to find an excuse to play either mario or Doc as my secondary. I main fox (obviously) is there any matchups that Doc or Mario could cover if Im struggling with fox ?

Last edited:

Diana's Safe Landing

Smash Apprentice
Im trying to find an excuse to play either mario or Doc as my secondary. I main fox (obviously) is there any matchups that Doc or Mario could cover if Im struggling with fox ?
Well to be honest mario doesn't have any MUs that fox can't do better but people have a LOT less experience against mario/doc so as a secondary you can use him to counterpick specirfic players. I find mario to be really strong against marths that don't know the match up and strong against falcon/spacies that let you take them to FD.

Fakes

Smash Apprentice
I'm having a lot of trouble with the Falco MU, specifically with lasers. I know I'm supposed to be powershielding, and the occasional cape, but I just get punished so hard after a cape. It's rough. Marth used to be my worst MU but I feel like i have that one down now.

For some reason, every time I play an aggressive Falco I just sort of freeze up and find myself in shield so often. I've watched a **** load of videos and the neutral game often looks like Falco isn't getting too much off of lasers. Maybe A Rookie is too good lol.

Should I just be trying to time my capes better? Do I want to go to Yoshi's for this MU, I personally find a lot of success there. Against fox however, I'm a fan of FD.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I asked Koopa about the Peach MU and he took me to school on it, so I thought it'd be handy to post the informational bits of the conversation here.

McWaffles

Still grinding to be decent.
Slippi.gg
JAKE#988
NNID
TheMcWaffles
3DS FC
2337-7097-9360
Switch FC
SW-6907-3206-1991
I'd like to know what the Mario - Yoshi matchup is and why

F. Stein

Smash Journeyman
Sad, I'm trying to pick up mario as my secondary. If things are so dead I can't learn anything though, I better move on to a different character lol.

The Master of Mario

Smash Journeyman
Wave-Shine-Grab loses to 12Cape->4Up-tilt/5D-smash
D-smash beats shine if you are faster than the fox
jump takes 4 out of shine 6 no visible shine frames shine takes airdodge takes 4 frames shine 1 frame grab takes 7frames
WLWB-(Cape->Up-tilt)/D-smash/Up-Special on the end of your aerial strings means you won't get shined if you catch the WD
If it's too late For cape You have Up-tilt and IASADROP-FF-N/F-air which works best on fountain of dreams and leads into B-air cancel RAR D-smash which is mario's fast rangy move in melee
Mario's F-smash and Cape are amazing anti aerials in this game

Fox Spaming D-smash at the ledge can be a problem so use wall jump low and use walljump away to perfect WL/WD ->Punches/reverse up-special is the prefered recovery against edge smashes

Move strings
6%-32% Percent
UP-F-tilt->Dash Attack
Dash attack->Grab/D-smash/Up-F-smash(catching all jumps)
B-air->F-tilt
U/B/N-air->Grab/Tilt combo/Punches/Dash attack
SHWLWBFF Cape->tip-F-smash/Grab
32%-75% Percent
Up-tilt->Cape->Up-tilt
D-air->u-air/grab->grab
WD-D-tilt to WD Punch Punch F-tilt
F-air->Down/UP-smash
Pummel F-throw->SH-Fireball->RAR B-air->Dash Grab
Pummel D/U-throw->F-air
Pummel D-throw->pivot F-smash
SHFF D-air->Up special cancel->U-air
Dash attack->dash grab/Blind U-air:
F-throw->WD-Up-tilt strings
U/B-air->Up-smash/D-smash
F-throw->U-air->B-air
Punch->Punch->D-smash/(Blind B-air->Grab)
SH->Cape(can be falling)->N-air/D-smash/Punch Combo
Up-angled F-tlit->WDgrab/Reverse WD-(F/Up)-smash(priority)

Anti fox combos:
U-tilt strings
SH-Cape(Doc or Falling)->WD-Dash attack/F-tilt
SH-Cape(Doc or Falling)->WD-D-smash/WD-Sheild Grab
Cape-Punch->Punch->crouch canceled d-smash/blind wd u-smash u-air(for evading high priority hitboxes or witch smashes and tilts clanking with them to follow with n-air->f-tilt/D-smash )
(SHFFL-F-air)->(WD-Dash Attack-OOS->D-smash))
F-air->grab->dthrow
reverse Up-special to platform
Up-B cancel
Crouched-Up-special/F-tilt
Blind-U-air/D-air->WD-Punches->CC-Grab/F-air to catch approaches timing
CC->turn around smash/f-tilt and empty hop CC+RAR punch punch (D-smash,f-tilt,CC->D-air->U-air->Grab)
fountain of dreams/Pokemon stadium SH-Cape->u-air->WL Fall off platform cape->u-airl->wave-punch combos
Full jump Cape->IASA drop U-air->Cape->aerial interrupt->U/B-air->WL->punch->grab->B-throw->B-air edgegaurd is good on top platform
If they try to wait it out you can grab them instead of cape with a standing punches/grab/F-tilt(range)->B-air RAR->aerial interrupt u-air/blind Dair/U-air/U-air->grab through platform to hide cape and avoid Up-smash
At ~40% fireball has enough knockback to lead into punches/grab/F-tilt(most ranged) otherwise U-tilt beats shine

KO moves early
Edge attack fast->WD F-smash-B-air->(U/B)-air->F-smash->B-air edgegaurd
Punch->CC WaveGrab->Chain throw
F-throw->B-air->(U/B)-air->F-smash->B-air edgegaurd
throw->WD up-angled F-smash->Cape/Up special stall if they go low
Drop U-air/Up-special fast-get-up->Bair->U-air->Up-special
(Dash attack and/or D-smash) or SHFFL-F-air from edge(easiest on yoshi)

Defenses:
Teir 1(Shield vs WL/WD{determinant spacing}
Tier 2(Run=Jump)
Tier 3(roll 4 frame vs CC {determinant knockback})
Recovery
Backflip b-stick makes you evasive. Start from platform shield front with cape and backflip away and B-sticking fireball and cape. Remember you have to move towards the stage to LR B-stick cape away. Play the game of height with Down special too(best from a platform). You can also projectile stun to u-air if you catch opponent’s jump.

D-throw->F-smash up-angled for more knockback
sheik/Jiggs/Marth Fountain of Dreams/Battlefield/Final destination
Fox/falco/Captain Falcon Yoshi's story/Fountain of dreams/Dreamland
Counter Pick Pokemon stadium

Last edited:

The Master of Mario

Smash Journeyman
Falco is All about edgaurding the twice as slow Up-special compared to Fox with edgegaurding f-air is good here fireballs can interrupt if they go low
and ledgehogging with cape does wonders here for setting up a finsh easier
Fountain of dreams and Yoshi's story and dreamland make this easier with Wall Jump
fox/falco Wave dashing/Fox trot/waveland away from falco's F-smash can lead to the weak hit
Blind Cape->Blind N-air beats falco's/fox aerials behind mario's head
Up-smash is really helpful against falco because he's a bigger character
B-air is easier to land in the falco matchup
IASA drop D-air really helps instead of F-air beacuase falco is taller
F-smash is easier to up-angle against falco
Falco's lasers can simply be crouched under while fox's cant
Falco's Recovery means he is more vulnerable to F-tilt/Cape/D-air->U-air->D-smash/D-throw->F-smash/F-air->D-smash

Dash Dance->CC->D-smash Dash attack on a platform helps recovery and reduces knockback
To beat his Laser Aerial approaches is to Crouch under it and basically Juggle with D-smash
Blind FF-U-air can beat shine as can other moves like that move downward fast enough
D-smash/Up/F-tilt can beat shine if you input 1 frame before
Throw lots of high PRIO moves at low percents that you are comfortable with.
From below while falco is on a platform Up-speical can beat shine.
Dash Attack is a really good counter to Falcos aerials due to the high priority fast speed and low knockback.
This can be followed up with U-smash or U-air/B-air strings->F-air
You can even follow with d-air->Grab on fox and falco

Last edited:

The Master of Mario

Smash Journeyman
Marth getting tipper F-smash can be a problem(if you are at tipper range on the ground and you see it coming you can charge f-smash so your smash hits also if your in the air and he's about to smash b-stick wb cape->u/b-air can hover enough to miss tipper range against n-air dash attack->cape->Punches really helps especially. crouched wd punches are also a really good approach.

Crouching vs D-air gets marth to use f-smash n-air f-air and d-air in the air but you gotta rack percent so they are best followed with UPB-OOS/sheildgrab otherwise Fireball approaches into crouched wavedash then u-tilt and u-air -> D-smash without getting hit can affect what attack marth chooses and rolling and WD LR->centerstage platforms can keep you advantage at high percents. You can also approach marth's aerials with WD sheild grabs/D-air/upsmash/up-tilt->sheildgrab B-throw at 0 or f-throw at 40 can lead into cape/B-air->D-smash
If they try to wait it out you can grab them instead of cape with a standing grab

You can FF upspecial a juggling marth instead of jumping using WB cape or WB fireballs at high percents
Down special up to a Platform/Cape->D-smash/Firaball/Up-Special/Grabs/Platforms as mario has a small enough hitbox to be below a platform (Up-tilt/D-tilt can but I rarely use that) to beat counter
Marth is all about position he has no projeciles and you have fireballs
Mario/Dr.Mario jump can Wavebounce (FORWARD fireballs usually or always REVERSE of the jump) specials by mashing LRRRR. and RLLLL Up-special can to but that's a different move previously called wavebounce or moonjump based on pressing charges it up Mario I refer to this as B-stick as its usually used to give mario enough range to dodge with up-special or recover with Up-special.
Against Marth if you crouch cancel Smash DI UP and DI UP it becomes easier.
Approach is best with blind D-air so the feet are at head level then follow with B--air dash-IASADrop+RAR->D-smash/grab
Marth edgegaurding it can be a problem (if he goes for an F-air If marth is comboing you want to Blind U-air to avoid getting hit by altering your hitbox so his hitbox misses or Up-special so your recovery is a little higher. If you get hit Up-special as fast as will allow you to recover so he hits marios slow fall speed and DI Up works best if you have to go low) miss then you can Nado again and at worst airdodge to the edge from high up, It's all about recovery height. Remember you don't want to get hit on the ground only on a platform. If you are close to the edge you can just WL-Up-tilt/Punch->D-smash any attack at edge of the stage You can also WLWB-Cape low or do WallbounceFireball->F-tilt/Ledgegrab to challege his move. When high in the air d-air, blind aerial,rar especailly with run n dash and wavedash momentum n-air and cape have the best hitbox attacking at the head but n-air and u-air are the fastest against anything but n-air don't forget to WaveLand(with proper dodge frames->D-SMASH/SHIELDGRAB APPROACH. Final Destination Is good Cause you can edgegaurd harder with D-angled F-tilt/Fireball/Cape/Up-special/Wall JumpWavebounce/D-air to Nado/or Fireball->U-air like doc in smash ultimate.If Marth goes for F-air Cape stall the edge as cape allows you to grab faster with Invincibility
Marth using counter can be a problem(You want to be Shield/Airdodge Grabbing here and taking full advantag B-throw up up-special) put your self quilckly in less hitstun or to hit RAR+Walking Grab)

Grab loses to meteors disjoints and invincibility frames on Blind Up-smash and F-smash if you aren't racking enough percent on you have to keep the pressure and make him want to shield so he get L-cancel F-air meteor hitstun he'll probably switch to something that can be beat with Mario's F-smash though or Smashes with Cape->F-tilt or D-air->U-air->Shieldgrab
Blind U-air->Upsmash is great against sheilds but counter beats them
Up-F-tilt and up-special OOS you can also Blind D-air OOS
IASA FF Cape and FF D-air FF-B-air from a platform

Safest approachs against marth(All marth's aerials have a weak spot if you wavedash into or crouched below him)
SH-Cape approach avoid most tilts-Grabing Up-smash D-smash and F-smash Jab2

Dash attack F-tilt and Jab1 are beat with U-air-U-smash though you have Roll/Fox-trot CC/WD-OOS/Dash attack under so he jumps to get behind marth

That leaves and Spotdodge->Attack

Wavedash-rar-wavebounce SH Cape->U-air/D-air->Grab
SH-Wavebounce-Fireball-Wavedash GRAB/F-tilt/D-smash
SH-Wavebounce-Fireball-Wavedash B-air->U-smash/B-air
Pills/fireball to responsive n-air(at low percent) Crouch->F-tilt(at high) clank his attacks Rolling/WDashing is good against Marth because it reduces his damage output due to weak hits
FF-Blind U-air to avoid Marth's U-air its really U-air vs U-air Horizontal movement WB-fireball-WL for u-air
Dash attack cape so grab misses and F-tilt to challenge D-tilt
If he starts to counter F-air mix it up with empty bakflip shorthop/Foxtrots/Capes/U-airs/Foxtrot->RAR-WaveGrab/Shield Grabs Dash ingdroping to reset D-air hits u-air from a platform when marth is on the platform Up-special/Grab
I prefer Mario to Doc against Marth all of doc's smashes fail to beat aerials Mario's F-smash is better and its too hard to get doc up to a fast speed to take advantage of wavebounce Doc just covers less ground. Doc's Aerials also l-cancel later making his aerials slower. Doc can't hit as fast because he has to WL all his approaches and retreats where mario can do that in addition to F-smash. the range is especially important for small tourney stages you need more ground or the ability to hit marth lower with wall jump wavebounce aerials
you need RAR WD B-Stick Fireball B-stick cape and FoxTrot as speed critical
You want to rack damage with your smashes and KO him with F-tilt/N-air/Bair->Edgegaurd you want to practice evading with just a DASH. and WD away or towards on a dime. avoid n-air and u-air until ~32% because his aireals are still can hit and if he crouches remember to FF blind hit the U-air or Reg B-air->Cape/Down special/Up-tilt. Racking damage is key against Marth Try using Aerials and smashes in Homerun Contest to practice wavebouce wavedash and accuracy. If marth di's away avoiding u-air juggle b-air HEAD b-air TOES. Fireballs can go thorough counter if its low Marth is also easy to juggle though You'll want to do it with B-air.

Stopping the F-air
If marth f-airs you can wavebounce Cape away from Marth's F-air and follow with B-air->Grab or Grab or Foxtrot F-smash or Blind U-air his missed head to d-smash
If marth tries to smash or F-air from in front you can Cape-WL-Shieldgrab
If marth tries to F-air you can crouch under it and respond with dash attack or D-smash
If Marth F-airs from the front you can Up-special OOS
If Marth tries to F-air from the front you WD and or Dash attack juggle OOS
If Marth tries to jumps you can bait approach marth's F-air and time a WD-U-tilt or WD-FOXTROT N-air->Grab or U/D-smash
If Marth tries to F-air you can crouch a F-smash
If Marth tries to F-air you can Dodge with frame timed Blind U-air out of hitbox
If Marth F-airs you can waveland->Foxtrot

Last edited:

The Master of Mario

Smash Journeyman
Sheik's recovery is slow like falco you want to grab the ledge and Cape->D-smash or FF-F-air the recovery after ledgehoging. Shiek is also about juggling with BLIND-upsmash(can be WD) staying below shiek but not in grab range you need to juggle if they have good DI and aproach with WD-F-tilt->D-smash. WBWD-Projectile-Punch-U-air juggle u-smash is really good here.punches by themselves lead to grabs but your moves with enough vertical knockback combo well with projectiles. lots of d-smash and u-smash and WD platform drop B-air/Up-tilt->Cape combos(including grab) and Blind u-air->upsmash.D/Up throw->Blind [SH D-air->N-air]LLL(least landing lag)D-smash like doc's F-air as ko move,rolls can give you stage advantage even if you get hit.Dash attack priority and Grabbing Blind SH-U-air-N-air->Grab B-throw->B-air edgegauard and Up-tilt/Blind-Upsmash(can be WD) against aerials crouch cancelling OOS and WL. Cape is a really nice mixup combined with walk off of a platform aerials for speed. if shiek is shielding alot moves that hit under the sheild like dash attack and D-angled F-smash can be used. SHFF-reverse B/ forward U-air->F-tilt can really combo if sheik grabs. Cape->D-smash can also be really damaging as sheik's smashes are avoidable. Pills usually cause sheik to want to B-air so they are best combined with crouched U-tilt/u-smash to get under the move

Captain Falcon
he has no reflector or counter.
Backflip B-stick WB Fireballs give you lots of defense and stops his aerials but don't get predictable.
He'll probably shield cause he has no Reflector or Projectile Defense.
Just do Fireball interruption his knee priority means you need ROLLING SPOTDODGE and his moves are slower.
Air dodge to up-special really messes him up his punches are slower and less priority than mario's up special.
Shielding is very important here. Like Falcon doesn't have many answers in speed to your smashes.
If you struggle with damage go for grabs F/12% B-throw->High horizontal movement 12%B-air->Grab and Crouch cancelled F-tilt is big here.
because Falcon is heavy that will adjust you to his weight. Up-tilt can juggle falcon at low percent and due to weight Smashes.
Up-B and shielding beats his smashes which are slower than yours.
Punches/Up angled F-tilt->WD dashed Shield grab/DASH ATTACK&B-air at ko percent ~60% juggling ect/Up-smash beat the aerials.
WOP B-air/Cape/Fireballs/crouch->D-smash-> N/Blind-Unstale/F-air beat his recovery

Other damaging options
SHFF Projectile->WDWB Foxtrot Grab/Dash attack can juggle him.
U-tilt combos longer than fox
Punches/F-tilt-D-smash/FF U-air->chain Grab works at more percents
Blind U-air->Nair RAR Dash Grab is very effective
SH-D-air->Up-smash
F-air>D-smash
D-throw->Blind B-air->All grabs

Jiggs
Jigglypuff is all about Damage and Speed doing Blind WD U-smash(I-frames)
WDWB Cape->N-air and F-tilt/D-smash depending on how safe they are playing
if they stay high in the air go for F/U-air from below more.
Mario also has Cape->FF B/U/N-air->f-smash against jigglypuff which is good for damage racking
Aerial and Foxtrot and WD mobility is key.
Blind-Up-smash and D-smash especially RAR DACUS and RAR WD Foxtrot U-air are key at low percents
you want to stay under jigglypuff if retreats and if you mess up on the Up-special to a platform the higher you are the easier you can up-special/f-air her. or blind u-air->uspecial her for a ko
priority is too low for yoshi's and since you want to stay under choose battlefield easy to stay below jigglypuff
Final Destination Hard to lose to rest on this stage
The large wall jump area and faster aerials with edges also helps with FOD in addition to the small changing platforms messing up safe play
If you struggle with damage go for grabs F/12% B-throw->High horizontal movement 12%B-air->Grab and Crouch cancelled F-tilt is big here.
Don't Sleep on D-throw->Fair either and WD punch grabs which can interruprt aerials if properly spaced
Fireball->WD-Punch->Grab is probably the best at low percent as with her low weight and vertical vertical knockback and jump predication really works

General Recov\ery
jumps U-air->WB Cape/fireball-(WBFireblll+U-air)->High recovery 5-6 60-66 frames jiggs jumps+DJ and/or Down-special-> Then

Late hit Upspecial
Blind U-air
(Early/Slightly earlier) vs Late Up B has techs(on final destination/fountain of dreams/yoshi’s/pokemon stadium(Dreamland makes it harder on an angle and platforms are too high for up-B))
Cape->N-air+punches
Second+ cape->Punches/Grab
First Cape->D/N-air->Sheild Grab/Up-smash OOS/N-air OOS/OOS WD F-smash from behind
WL Punches/(Up-tilt 8-10)->D-smash
Aerial with most priority in matchup or best missbox
WL-F-Tilt(high range) or WL->down and/or towards+FF Blind Up-smash(inv frames)/D-smash priority
You want to choose to avoid specials and smashes

General offensive strategy
You can check DI with fireballs check your background stats with crouches and pummel+grab release->U/B-air->Fireball->grab more if they don't DI Up go for more F-tilt->Ftilt/Slow Punches/ If the DI-Down/Crouch cancel use more Punches->grab->B-air/F-tilt and smashes
If they grab don't punch->shield just SHFF(can RAR) N-air->Punches otherwise punch->shield this works with slow punches
D-air->U/D-smash/Grab to beat air dodge
Fireball->Grab to beat shield but not shine
D-smash is a close range jump interrupt anti-air F-smash is a mid to far range anti-air depending on fall speed WD positioning

Last edited:

The Master of Mario

Smash Journeyman
Short list for falco

Falco Blaster->sheildgrtab/grab
Crouch->(openings)Punch combos/u-air OOS
SHFFL Blind U-air+N-air->ACECape/Fox Trot+WD Dash Attack->D-smash
crouch directional up-b to platform/FF+L cancel+u-air cancel->Up-B-Cancel
Falco Shine->attack
F-air/WD-U-Tilts/Punches
Against Stopping Recovery
Pill->WL+B-stick-Up-speical/WD/WB-Cape/tornado stall maximum height timing/Up-special wall jump
Falco Blaster->Tilt/Shine
Crouch Cancel->D-smash/Up-tilt/U-air OOS/Up-B cancel
Falco Tilt/Smash/aerial->blaster
Punches/OOS/D-air/Up-angled F-tilt(Horizontal range)/ Up-tilt(vertical range)
D-air->Shine
F-smash/Blind U-air/Punches/UP-B OOS
Falco grabs
D-air/WB-Special->punches/SHWB-Cape->U-air->U-smash->tech chase(for damage)

D-throw->F-smash up-angled for more knockback
sheik/Jiggs/Marth Fountain of Dreams/Battlefield/Final destination
Fox/falco/Captain Falcon Yoshi's story/Fountain of dreams/Dreamland
Counter Pick Pokemon stadium

KO
d-throw-f-smash
Cape recovery
WB B-stick B->WB B-air/WB B-stick Cape
WB B-air->WB B-air
D-air interrupt->Cape yoshi's
WB-N-air D-smash yoshi's
edgegaurd with pills yoshi's
D-tilt->F/D-smash (can be angled) yoshi's
F-tilt->B-air yoshi's
U-tilt->Blind U-air combo yoshi's
Punch->cape->d-smash yoshi's

Last edited:

The Master of Mario

Smash Journeyman
Fox shortlist
Blaster/SH Blaster
SH B-stick WB cape(any direction)->WL-Punch combo
IASA drop/WD on platform
Fox shine->Up-smash
SH RAR WB aerial(any direction)->WL-Punch combo
Retreating SH B-stick WB cape(any direction)->blind U-air
Crouch->(openings)Punch combos/u-air OOS/grab
SHFFL Blind U-air+N-air->ACECape
Fox Trot+WD Dash Attack->D-smash
crouch directional up-b to platform/FF+L cancel+u-air cancel->Up-B-Cancel
Against Stopping Recovery
Projectile->WL+B-stick-Up-speical/WD/B-stick-Cape/Up-special wall jump/tornado stall/WB-aerial/WB-forward+backwards-Projectile-b-air
Fox Blaster->Tilt/Shine
Crouch Cancel->D-smash/Up-tilt/U-air OOS/Up-B cancel
Fox Tilt/Smash/aerial->blaster
Punches/OOS/D-air/Up-angled F-tilt(Horizontal range)/ Up-tilt(vertical range)
D-air->Shine
F-smash/Blind U-air/Punches/UP-B OOS
Fox grabs
D-air/WB-Special->punches/SHWB-Cape->U-air->U-smash->tech chase(for damage)

Last edited:

The Master of Mario

Smash Journeyman
Shield Pressure
Cape/Up-tilt/Punch->ReverseBair->Grab
N-air->Punches->N-air->Grab
Reverse WB SH B-air->U-air/Grab
SH D-air->N-air to Grab
Dash Attack->SH->B-air->U-air can also help against characters with slow/crouchable forward moves

Triggering OOS with Cape->Punches->Grab/Cape(priority)->D-smash
Projectiles
Blind Full jump U-air->Cape-N/U-air is great for avoiding projectiles and the WB-WL-RAR helps gain ground or setup grabs
WB RAR Nair->F-tilt is great for range over things grounded mines
Blind U-air Vs FF B-air helps against vertical disjoints
Crouched SH-B/N-air vs Up smash/Dash attack is good against horizontal aerials

Last edited:
Top Bottom