• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The 'Mains' Advice Thread

(>´u´)>

Smash Cadet
You could try :4metaknight:, and play him like a faster Kirby that's wielding a tiny sword and doesn't do as much grappling. Could work really well.
Thanks i have been using mk in the past but im not too good with swords he is a favorite none the less and i might give him another shot.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
What are good 2v2 characters? I already have 1v1 mains but I want to get into 2v2 with my friend.
What I like in characters:
-Not slow, heavy hitters (Ike, bowser, charizard)
-Good recovery (Basically not a trash one)
-Fast moves and smashes
-Not too much movement speed (Not good at fast characters)
-Nice amount of kill options (Like ness with his pk flash, f smash,pk thunder 2, back throw, up air)
-Useful Kill throw? Maybe.
-Not a difficult character to learn
So the best in doubles? :4bayonetta::4cloud2::4corrin::4mario::4villager::4ness: Are all great in doubles. I think there's a page for it but not sure.

I have trouble against cloud and bayonetta
Mostly anyone who has a sword or high speed
So let me get this right. You struggle against:4bayonetta::4cloud2::4falcon::4corrin::4diddy::4fox::4myfriends::4marth::4metaknight::4pikachu::4pit::4darkpit::4feroy::4sheik::4sonic::4tlink:? Cause if so Kirby beats Roy, fox, sheik. He also does well against pikachu and bayo(?). But other than that :4sonic::4mario::4diddy: all do good against most if not all of those and are relatively easy to use.:4fox: Is also a great option and would recommend him first over the others but it's up to you.

(>´u´)>

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the advice :4kirby: will remain my favorite but i will get to work with:4metaknight::4mario::4sonic:and :4diddy:all of which i have experience with while playing random. I appreciate the fast feedback.

AWildCedricAppeared

Smash Rookie
So the best in doubles? :4bayonetta::4cloud2::4corrin::4mario::4villager::4ness: Are all great in doubles. I think there's a page for it but not sure.

So let me get this right. You struggle against:4bayonetta::4cloud2::4falcon::4corrin::4diddy::4fox::4myfriends::4marth::4metaknight::4pikachu::4pit::4darkpit::4feroy::4sheik::4sonic::4tlink:? Cause if so Kirby beats Roy, fox, sheik. He also does well against pikachu and bayo(?). But other than that :4sonic::4mario::4diddy: all do good against most if not all of those and are relatively easy to use.:4fox: Is also a great option and would recommend him first over the others but it's up to you.
Kirby can do fine against :4pikachu:, :4sheik:, and the Pits, if Kirby has the copy ability it's at least even. :4feroy: is barely a swordsman, Kirby can out-neutral him, and how does :4falcon: beat Kirby when he's one of the only characters in which Kirby has a 70% true combo on him? Sword character's obliterate in neutral but are broken down if Kirby finds an opening, so those are still manageable (40:60 at worst). Projectiles characters can hurt Kirby though,:4villagerf: and :4megaman: are some of his worst MU's. :4pikachu: is a really good secondary to have IMO. Good counter against Cloud and goes even with the rest. :4sonic: is probably your best bet though, he really covers all the weaknesses that Kirby has, I would play him but I hate playing Sonic.

(>´u´)>

Smash Cadet
Kirby can do fine against :4pikachu:, :4sheik:, and the Pits, if Kirby has the copy ability it's at least even. :4feroy: is barely a swordsman, Kirby can out-neutral him, and how does :4falcon: beat Kirby when he's one of the only characters in which Kirby has a 70% true combo on him? Sword character's obliterate in neutral but are broken down if Kirby finds an opening, so those are still manageable (40:60 at worst). Projectiles characters can hurt Kirby though,:4villagerf: and :4megaman: are some of his worst MU's. :4pikachu: is a really good secondary to have IMO. Good counter against Cloud and goes even with the rest. :4sonic: is probably your best bet though, he really covers all the weaknesses that Kirby has, I would play him but I hate playing Sonic.
Yeah :4sonic: is a really good character to fall back on if you're a :4kirby: main but he just doesn't appeal to me anymore. I used to love his games and played them all the time but in smash i just don't feel a rush to go and select him.

:4megaman: is a tough opponent and is probably the only time i use :4sonic:, i also found that :4wario2:works well against him. :4megaman:'s 3ds stage is annoying.

:4villagerf: isnt too bad just use final cutter to get their damage up a little then hammer them off the side while they recover.

Justinian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GenoAzelf
I use kirby the most but am trying to find a second. Any ideas?

I like brawlers with good recovery and speed

Sorry i couldn't give more detail.
If you're looking for a character to cover MUs, Meta Knight, Fox and, of course Sheik would all fit the bill for what you're looking for. Sonic wouldn't be the best option, since that leaves you open to both Cloud and Megaman, since (:4kirby:/:4sonic:) both lose to those characters.

DeltaForce

Smash Cadet
Justinian Justinian you forgot RosaLuma

I think there is a bit of controversy on Pikachu Vs Kirby. From I have seen on MU threads and MU charts is the fact that Pikachu beats Kirby by a pretty decent amount.
https://mobile.twitter.com/PG_ESAM/status/719359337672634369

Also I just had an argument earlier about Pikachu being a secondary. I will repeat Pikachu is not a good secondary for most characters. I would say he is a better main than a secondary because why would you put more time and effort into developing a secondary than your main. It would be better to reverse the roles.

Kirby loses hard to projectiles and Zoners for MU purposes I would say RosaLuma as a secondary which leaves you really only open to Cloud Mk and ZSS (According to what other people have said not my opinion) A pocket Mario would be able to at least go even with those MUs so I would say RosaLuma as a secondary with a Pocket Mario to help your kirby instead of using 4 different characters.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I've noticed that mentioned for a few characters, that they don't make good secondaries because of the time required to be invested into them. Pika, Mega Man, Peach, Shulk and probably others. I kinda question that notion. I secondary Pika in Melee (which, admittedly, I'm garbage at) and in Brawl with Ganon and Wolf as my mains respectively. I only attended a few online tournaments during Brawls lifetime but I never felt that having Pika as a secondary held me back in that game. I didn't feel that he clashed so much that I couldn't use him alongside Wolf. Now, maybe that goes more to show how easy Wolf was to use and there's also the fact that those are different games where Pikachu has different tools at his disposal and different ones he has to go up against.

For Sm4sh Pika tools, his QAC is far more limited in this game, he lacks chain grabs and the biggest technical things I can see a Pika needing to focus on being QA ledge cancels, EDDing and uthrow -> rar Thunder. Maybe there's some super hard or precise combo I'm unaware of and come to think of it, I recall Esam having a video showing offstage fair -> footstool ala Fox so that might be technically demanding too.

I can agree that choosing an easy character for a secondary is a good idea with Cloud and Mario being perfect examples but I personally don't see Pika as too demanding to be a secondary. Maybe I'm just uninformed or maybe I just have an easier time due to familiarity with him from previous games.

Regardless, if he truly is too demanding to be a secondary and I find out from future experience, I could see myself keeping him around for the Diddy mu (or I could just resort to Cloud or Mario). I do like his niche in my trio of being the smallest and having the best disadvantage state, something I'd lose if I replaced Pika with Mario or Cloud.

Completely different topic but does anyone know what mus give Fox a really hard time? And what characters do best vs Cloud? Asking since my sparring partner is a Fox main who gets roadblocked pretty hard by Cloud. He used to be a Peach main but found her too demanding for too little reward. Still has her as a pocket character and has Link as a secondary and he had plans on making Ike either a pocket or a secondary over Link. Don't think he ever got around to it since his Wii U pad is busted.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
B
I've noticed that mentioned for a few characters, that they don't make good secondaries because of the time required to be invested into them. Pika, Mega Man, Peach, Shulk and probably others. I kinda question that notion. I secondary Pika in Melee (which, admittedly, I'm garbage at) and in Brawl with Ganon and Wolf as my mains respectively. I only attended a few online tournaments during Brawls lifetime but I never felt that having Pika as a secondary held me back in that game. I didn't feel that he clashed so much that I couldn't use him alongside Wolf. Now, maybe that goes more to show how easy Wolf was to use and there's also the fact that those are different games where Pikachu has different tools at his disposal and different ones he has to go up against.

For Sm4sh Pika tools, his QAC is far more limited in this game, he lacks chain grabs and the biggest technical things I can see a Pika needing to focus on being QA ledge cancels, EDDing and uthrow -> rar Thunder. Maybe there's some super hard or precise combo I'm unaware of and come to think of it, I recall Esam having a video showing offstage fair -> footstool ala Fox so that might be technically demanding too.

I can agree that choosing an easy character for a secondary is a good idea with Cloud and Mario being perfect examples but I personally don't see Pika as too demanding to be a secondary. Maybe I'm just uninformed or maybe I just have an easier time due to familiarity with him from previous games.

Regardless, if he truly is too demanding to be a secondary and I find out from future experience, I could see myself keeping him around for the Diddy mu (or I could just resort to Cloud or Mario). I do like his niche in my trio of being the smallest and having the best disadvantage state, something I'd lose if I replaced Pika with Mario or Cloud.

Completely different topic but does anyone know what mus give Fox a really hard time? And what characters do best vs Cloud? Asking since my sparring partner is a Fox main who gets roadblocked pretty hard by Cloud. He used to be a Peach main but found her too demanding for too little reward. Still has her as a pocket character and has Link as a secondary and he had plans on making Ike either a pocket or a secondary over Link. Don't think he ever got around to it since his Wii U pad is busted.
To my knowledge :4fox: loses to :4bayonetta::4cloud2::4kirby::rosalina::4ryu: But that's not for sure and cloud loses to :4bayonetta::4megaman::4pikachu::4sheik:. Those are the ones I know for sure. Check the pros mu charts

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
B

To my knowledge :4fox: loses to :4bayonetta::4cloud2::4kirby::rosalina::4ryu: But that's not for sure and cloud loses to :4bayonetta::4megaman::4pikachu::4sheik:. Those are the ones I know for sure. Check the pros mu charts
Can't see my partner picking up any of those 4 characters that do well vs Cloud. Maybe Pika? But I doubt it. As for the Fox mus, I do recall seeing Ryu and Kirby as bad mus for him. Ryu being very deadly thanks to his utilt and Kirby to a point too and since he can crouch under lasers and even acquire some for himself, if he gets the percent lead, Fox has to approach. Fox (and Peach) doing poorly against Cloud may explain the roadblock issue he faces. Not sure how well Link or Ike handle the mu. Rosa makes sense after just a quick thought. When Luma is at full hp, Fox doesn't really have a move to quickly and easily dispose of it and in general, trying to get past Luma must be a pain. I don't know enough about Bayo to know why the mu would be bad. I'm not sure how easy Fox is to combo for her and the worst of it I can see is her nair and down b being effective against both of his recovery options and with her dtilt bullets not being projectiles, she can force Fox to approach to a point. Not seeing Sheik, ZSS, Diddy, M2 or Mario listed is a good sign at least. If he chooses to attend tournaments when I get the ability to drive, he at least won't have too many top tiers to worry about.

DeltaForce

Smash Cadet
Krysco Krysco Ok I did this argument of Pika being a secondary before just read my old posts because I would rather not waste space being redundant if you still want to hear my reasons again or have some fresh points to use against me then let me know.

Oh and I know of a method of chain grabbing for Pikachu in smash 4 it consists of a down throw to a late up air drag down fair to a Re grab not hard to preform bit it is percent and weight and falls speed affected so you need to get a feel for that.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Just did a quick skim and while I didn't look at every post, the ones I did mentioned how Pika has a high learning curve and a boatload of tech. I did mention how I personally find him easy to secondary with the learning curve being far less of an issue for me due to using him in previous games (and he didn't change as drastically as say Falco) and mentioned how he actually has more consistently applicable tech in previous games. Chain grabs and QAC aren't hard to pull off but knowing when to use them and how long to do the former is far more important in the previous games since they're more readily available, both for good and poor use. The tech Pika has in Sm4sh simply seems more physically demanding rather than mentally. QA ledge cancels require knowing where to be in relation to the ledge and the angles needed, EDD is just a matter of getting a rhythm down and rar Thunder is getting down a quick sequence of inputs. Other than that there's breversing tjolt and general things like spacing.

My previous experience with Pika makes me a bit bias since I'm not 100% new to the character and also the fact that I've only recently started using him in this game and therefore don't know every in and out of the character means I could very well be wrong. Pika could be an incredibly hard and daunting character to use for someone completely unfamiliar with him and at higher levels of play, he could be more of a hindrance than a help due to his learning curve. I was merely giving my own insight on the matter. I do recall seeing a post of yours saying that Pika is one of the top 15 hardest characters to use and I could see that being true. Think that goes moreso to show how easy most characters in Sm4sh are to use though than to show how hard Pika is to use but again, bias and partially ignorant :x

(>´u´)>

Smash Cadet
If you're looking for a character to cover MUs, Meta Knight, Fox and, of course Sheik would all fit the bill for what you're looking for. Sonic wouldn't be the best option, since that leaves you open to both Cloud and Megaman, since (:4kirby:/
:4sonic:) both lose to those characters.
You make a good point about :4cloud: being able to easily kick :4kirby: in a fight, trust me I know what its like fighting a good cloud main :).

But i don't know any good :4megaman: people in my group; so its nice to be prepared for when i do. Thanks for your thoughts and warnings lol.

Justinian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GenoAzelf
B

Just to add a little to this, Fox-Cloud is seen as even and Fox probably loses to :4luigi: and :4pikachu: slightly as well, as well as doing really poorly against :4sheik:. Cloud-MM is usually seen as even.

You make a good point about :4cloud: being able to easily kick :4kirby: in a fight, trust me I know what its like fighting a good cloud main :).

But i don't know any good :4megaman: people in my group; so its nice to be prepared for when i do. Thanks for your thoughts and warnings lol.
Happy to help :]

DeltaForce

Smash Cadet
Hey I am having a secondary problem and I thought it might be productive to throw it to the wolves..er I mean forum.

So I am currently playing a Meta Knight secondary with a Pocket Mario (Pikachu is my Main but that is not changing) I am trying to decide if I should switch to RosaLuma as a secondary instead of MK and keeping a Mario Pocket. I'll give a quick rundown of my preferences and thoughts on the two characters and my current pocket.

Meta Knight- Alright I like to play this character but I feel like I am staling out the aggressive playstyle with a Pikachu and an MK so that is the main reason I feel like I should switch. MK has something that I love though, An amazing versatile and good recovery. 3 of his special moves autosnap ledge and with multiple jumps (6) gives the opponent a really hard time to edgeguard. I also love going in deep and MK has great edge guarding by going offstage or using Nado to cover ledge getups. MK does have a poor neutral, if I cannot get inside my opponent I will lose. MK requires making the most out of every hit . He can get up to 60% off of a dash attack or grab. MK also has a lot of killpower which is a change from Pikachu who is bad at killing. He has aerial dominance with his disjoints (unless he gets outranged of course) and he usually has to approach. His only real approaches are DG DA Fox Trot empty hops to name most of them. He does has an enormous arsenal of combos however and it takes a lot of practice to maximize to damage from them. In short he takes a lot of skill for reads, winning neutral, and complicated combos. With a great recovery disjoints short range light fastfaller.

RosaLuma- Ok so RosaLuma is another skill heavy character that is crazy complicated, a main reason I think I should switch to her is the changing of playstyles. Rosa is a notorious Defensive and Spacey (no pun intended) character, I feel like it would be a great contrast to use her along with my Pika. Rosa has a boatload of complicated tech like boost grab Lunar Landing desynch kill confirms, when to engage and disengage, when to cancer and when to not. Rosa's main flaw for me is her recovery, it has excellent distance don't get me wrong but it has no invincibility or hitbox to protect her when recovering. Which can lead her to be heavily edge guarded which is a personal downside because I like good recovery. I would be ok with it because the distance and range of her up-b is satisfactory for me. Another thing I don't particularly like is her rapid change in vunerablility, she loses luma she is running away until she gets luma back and it can get ugly. Again I have not a a boatload of experience with her so possibly something I can also deal with. I do also enjoy playing an aggressive playstyle so that is a plus for her as well. To sum it up Rosa has an easily edge guarded recover, complicated defensive playstyle, switches form strong to weak very quickly, one of the ultimate forms of cancer (That suits me just fine:)), and can be very rewarding.

For my Pocket Mario there is not much to say I keep him around for variety and to cover the Pikachu ditto, very easy to use useful to have I don't plan on dropping him any time soon.

So guys what I would like to know is Switch to RosaLuma or stay with MK? Don't ask me who I have more fun with I am asking from a competitive standpoint. I am also open to other suggestions like someone I have not mentioned. Thanks Guys!

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Hey I am having a secondary problem and I thought it might be productive to throw it to the wolves..er I mean forum.

So I am currently playing a Meta Knight secondary with a Pocket Mario (Pikachu is my Main but that is not changing) I am trying to decide if I should switch to RosaLuma as a secondary instead of MK and keeping a Mario Pocket. I'll give a quick rundown of my preferences and thoughts on the two characters and my current pocket.

Meta Knight- Alright I like to play this character but I feel like I am staling out the aggressive playstyle with a Pikachu and an MK so that is the main reason I feel like I should switch. MK has something that I love though, An amazing versatile and good recovery. 3 of his special moves autosnap ledge and with multiple jumps (6) gives the opponent a really hard time to edgeguard. I also love going in deep and MK has great edge guarding by going offstage or using Nado to cover ledge getups. MK does have a poor neutral, if I cannot get inside my opponent I will lose. MK requires making the most out of every hit . He can get up to 60% off of a dash attack or grab. MK also has a lot of killpower which is a change from Pikachu who is bad at killing. He has aerial dominance with his disjoints (unless he gets outranged of course) and he usually has to approach. His only real approaches are DG DA Fox Trot empty hops to name most of them. He does has an enormous arsenal of combos however and it takes a lot of practice to maximize to damage from them. In short he takes a lot of skill for reads, winning neutral, and complicated combos. With a great recovery disjoints short range light fastfaller.

RosaLuma- Ok so RosaLuma is another skill heavy character that is crazy complicated, a main reason I think I should switch to her is the changing of playstyles. Rosa is a notorious Defensive and Spacey (no pun intended) character, I feel like it would be a great contrast to use her along with my Pika. Rosa has a boatload of complicated tech like boost grab Lunar Landing desynch kill confirms, when to engage and disengage, when to cancer and when to not. Rosa's main flaw for me is her recovery, it has excellent distance don't get me wrong but it has no invincibility or hitbox to protect her when recovering. Which can lead her to be heavily edge guarded which is a personal downside because I like good recovery. I would be ok with it because the distance and range of her up-b is satisfactory for me. Another thing I don't particularly like is her rapid change in vunerablility, she loses luma she is running away until she gets luma back and it can get ugly. Again I have not a a boatload of experience with her so possibly something I can also deal with. I do also enjoy playing an aggressive playstyle so that is a plus for her as well. To sum it up Rosa has an easily edge guarded recover, complicated defensive playstyle, switches form strong to weak very quickly, one of the ultimate forms of cancer (That suits me just fine:)), and can be very rewarding.

For my Pocket Mario there is not much to say I keep him around for variety and to cover the Pikachu ditto, very easy to use useful to have I don't plan on dropping him any time soon.

So guys what I would like to know is Switch to RosaLuma or stay with MK? Don't ask me who I have more fun with I am asking from a competitive standpoint. I am also open to other suggestions like someone I have not mentioned. Thanks Guys!
To my knowledge :rosalina:is the best secondary for pika. So I say go for it. And I'd say go :4metaknight: as your pocket since you love him so much.

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
DeltaForce DeltaForce Just going to try and consider one thing at a time; hopefully it'll actually make sense and be helpful in the end. LOL

The first obvious answer some would tell you would be "Rosalina gets better results than Meta Knight, so she's the better choice competitively.", but let's break this down more by MUs to see which character could end up supporting your Pikachu the most, especially since Meta Knight has notable positive MUs against some top tiers.

- Pikachu's most prominent struggles have been said to be Mario and Ness. Meta Knight also apparently struggles against Mario.
- Two top tier MUs that have been thought to be favourable for Meta Knight are Cloud (debated by some as being even, but it goes back and forth) and Rosalina. Neither character is considered to be a terrible problem for Pikachu.
- The MU with Mario is generally acknowledged as being in Rosalina's favour (and while Ness is definitely able to put up a fight on stage, we don't even need to discuss that MU).
- Rosalina's biggest worries are usually Cloud and Meta Knight, but again, neither one is terrible for Pikachu.
- Pikachu isn't one of Rosalina's scarier MUs, so if you had to continue using her into the next match against someone's secondary/pocket (Pocket Pikachu?!) Pikachu, you shouldn't have to worry too much. And of course, you do have your pocket Mario if you have the chance to use him.

As you mentioned yourself, one great thing about Rosalina is that she can more effectively change up her approach to a match. I'm a firm believer in every character being able to play in different ways, but some are bound by restrictions in more situations than others, so the option isn't always there as much as one would like it to be. Even without Luma, Rosalina's weird hitboxes coupled with good spacing can sometimes be an aggressive force to be reckoned with (though I'd say aggressive play in that situation is definitely not a good option as often as it can be when Luma is by her side).

When it comes to Rosalina's recovery, a lot of it comes down to timing and a mastery of the directional inputs that will get her to that ledge in just the right way (it is definitely a lot trickier to get down than Meta Knight's various recovery options, aside from dimensional cape's somewhat odd momentum and the occasional ledge bounce that can occur when using drill rush). I'm sure this is pretty obvious to you, but using Rosa's down special as a recovery timing mix-up can really help, especially if you make sure to change up how you use it, or when you just decide to completely skip it altogether. Dabuz is a really great example when it comes to using Rosa's recovery in my opinion; he rarely gets punished for actually using the recovery, or even 2-framed...

In the end with all things considered, I believe Rosalina to be the better option for you, but she is more cerebrally demanding than Meta Knight, which is something to take into consideration for a secondary, and if you find you can't get places with her, familiarity with the way a character works and dealing with various MUs can take you a lot farther than using a top tier character with great MUs who just doesn't click.

Hope this helped in some way.

DeltaForce

Smash Cadet
Yeah that is more or less what I was thinking, though you did misinterpret what I meant on changing options I mean that she could be really strong one moment and once Luma is gone she is a lot weaker and that is something to get used to. What you did say instead of that was something I did forget to mention so thanks for that anyway. Skill and tech time should not be a problem for me all I am doing is trading one skill heavy character for another. I like both of their playstyles around the same so I feel kinda bad if I ditch MK but yeah I think Rosa is a more positive on MUs and playstyle mixup and more optimal for me. She especially hard counters Mario and Ness which will be useful. I also prefer to put in a lot extra time into a secondary not necessarily a Co-Main but I feel like she will need more effort than most secondaries but she will be worth it. Thanks for replying I am still open to any other opinions fire them at me. I am going to plan on trying Rosa looking more extensively on guides and figure out if she will work for me.

Thanks!

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
DeltaForce DeltaForce Glad I could help in some way!

Just for the record, I was merely touching on this segment of your post:
when to cancer and when to not
I understood what you meant surrounding that statement and wouldn't consider this to be a misinterpretation since the term "cancer" usually refers to heavily defensive/campy play (especially when in reference to Rosalina, Sonic, and Olimar). Regardless, I decided to talk about playstyle options since I assumed something of that sort would and should have a bearing on your final choice. It's an important thing to consider when weighing out the pros/cons of each character in a competitive light depending on how extensively you plan on using them.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing who you end up with, even if it's someone completely different from these two. :)

Last edited:

Wolfy125312

Smash Rookie
Hey, I've been playing for a while and main :4myfriends:. However, I'm feeling slightly burnt out with him and want to learn a new character. I've been trying out :4samus: and :4marth:, but not with much success. I was wondering if anyone had some recommendations? I wouldn't mind learning a highish tier character who can work as a secondary for :4myfriends:. Thanks!

DeltaForce

Smash Cadet
Well I am sorry to ride on the bandwagon train but I personally would tell you to play Cloud, he plays similar to your current character with excellent frame data and kill power. If you have a personal hatred for Cloud let me know because that is the case for a lot of people.

PS It could be useful for you to tell us what MUs you feel you struggle in with Ike and we could figure out a secondary based on that because I am not very familiar with Ike.

DJBor

Smash Journeyman
Feeling burned out, huh? Take a break with :4shulk: or :4link:. They're similar to Ike, but make you think about the game in a different way. If you are looking for a secondary... well, I would not have considered :4samus:, but go for it- seems like she covers Ike well. Always good to see more players repping the original Metroid slayer.

Last edited:

Wolfy125312

Smash Rookie
I struggle the most with projectile or fast characters as Ike. I have a friend who plays Villager that is infuriating to fight as Ike. It's one of the reasons why I picked up Samus. I try to stick away from stuff like Cloud since it can cause a lot of sour feelings when playing with friends or tournaments. I've been considering Corrin though.

Justinian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GenoAzelf
I struggle the most with projectile or fast characters as Ike. I have a friend who plays Villager that is infuriating to fight as Ike. It's one of the reasons why I picked up Samus. I try to stick away from stuff like Cloud since it can cause a lot of sour feelings when playing with friends or tournaments. I've been considering Corrin though.
Fox might be a good option for you. Ike and Fox are two characters that both require solid fundamentals to succeed: Ike requires good spacial fundamentals while Fox requires good tech skill and player-to-player interactions. Not only that, but the two work decently well as a duo, with Fox covering zoners and zonebreakers for Ike, and Ike covering the plumbers and Kirby for Fox.

Nessy

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone. I am in need of help for a main character with these standards:

- close to mid-range
- throwing one projectile to an opponent for spacing
- when close, aggressive.
- playing a little bit of patience game
- shut the disrespect player down
- great ledge-guard
- throw in a little surprise to the opponent

I tried playing with some random characters like ZSS, Sheik, Pit, Greninja, Cloud, etc but it just doesn't seem to work on my end. I played some random characters for fun but it's kind of hard for me to choose a main competitively. Thank you for your understanding

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Hello everyone. I am in need of help for a main character with these standards:

- close to mid-range
- throwing one projectile to an opponent for spacing
- when close, aggressive.
- playing a little bit of patience game
- shut the disrespect player down
- great ledge-guard
- throw in a little surprise to the opponent

I tried playing with some random characters like ZSS, Sheik, Pit, Greninja, Cloud, etc but it just doesn't seem to work on my end. I played some random characters for fun but it's kind of hard for me to choose a main competitively. Thank you for your understanding
So you want :4diddy:. Also:4mario::4ness::4pikachu: seem like other good choices. Try them out and see how you like them.

Also update on me: :4diddy: is my second main with :4feroy:. Tournanent tested. Yay.

DJBor

Smash Journeyman
I think you should try out :4ryu: if you can handle the inputs. He's the best fit to the listed strategy.
Of those you mentioned, :4zss: and :4greninja: are the best fits, and :4pit: is great at shutting down "disrespect".
I can agree with :4mario: the most out of Nice's suggestions.

Oh man, another :4diddy: player? Well, I can't say that's a bad choice, he's tournament-tested, player-approved. You'll do well.

GoodGuy

Smash Rookie
Anybody know how to stick to one main. I keep switching and I never get anything done

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Something I'm doing as an experiment is using that tier list maker website and grouping characters into 1 of currently 4 groups: Potential Characters, Too technical, Too many bad mus and too boring.

Here's what I've got so far

I'm personally looking at the characters and everything they have to offer. Mewtwo and Robin are in the 'too technical' group even though they are some of my best and favourite characters because Mewtwo's infinite and Robin's item tech. Tech like that has to be trained into muscle memory and so I can't currently see myself maining them at this time.

It's also kinda vague and broad. Like 'too boring' can just be a disliking towards a certain aspect of a character. I don't feel comfortable too often without a normal grab and I pretty much need raising aerials so ZSS goes into that group. Meanwhile, the only mu I feel R.O.B. does horribly in is the ZSS one off of my limited knowledge but other top tier mus feel bad enough like Bayo and Sheik and it just wouldn't be an enjoyable time.

May or may not help some people and of course, this all requires getting a grasp for each character. You have to know what tech a character has, if any before you can deem them too much. You gotta know how a character plays before you can say they're too boring and you have to have an idea for their mu spread before you can say they have too many bad mus.

Here's the website for anyone interested https://quetzle.github.io/smash-apps/tier/

Ecchin

ᴛʜᴇ ᴠᴏʟɴᴜᴛᴛ
NNID
Generic_Panic
idk what time passed until my latest post, but i still don't have main lmao maybe this game is not for me

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
I play Fox, and I'm having troubles with Robin specifically

adz

Smash Cadet
I play Fox, and I'm having troubles with Robin specifically
This is weird, in that it's generally acknowledged that Robin is one of Fox's best MUs. Robin, as a whole, struggles to keep fast, aggressive characters off him/her due to a lack of quick moves, and also relies a lot on projectiles to deal damage and get in. It just so happens that Fox is one of the most aggressive characters in the game, and has a reflector to deal with projectile chicanery.

As long as you play to Fox's strengths by not allowing the Robin room to breathe once you find an opportunity to get in, and using reflector wisely, you should be golden.

Beware of grabs though; checkmate kills Fox early, so when you are in kill range, don't be overzealous or attempt to continue an offense. You will be shield-grabbed or punished, and you will die.

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
This is weird, in that it's generally acknowledged that Robin is one of Fox's best MUs. Robin, as a whole, struggles to keep fast, aggressive characters off him/her due to a lack of quick moves, and also relies a lot on projectiles to deal damage and get in. It just so happens that Fox is one of the most aggressive characters in the game, and has a reflector to deal with projectile chicanery.

As long as you play to Fox's strengths by not allowing the Robin room to breathe once you find an opportunity to get in, and using reflector wisely, you should be golden.

Beware of grabs though; checkmate kills Fox early, so when you are in kill range, don't be overzealous or attempt to continue an offense. You will be shield-grabbed or punished, and you will die.
Then again, it might be the pariticular player's style. He plays Palutena and Robin. He annoys me so much. All he goes for are grabs and cheap chip damage.

DJBor

Smash Journeyman
Actually, a reflector isn't gonna do too much to Robin. It doesn't do anything to Arcfire/Elwind, or aerial Thunders. Robin will keep Fox out at all available opportunities, and Fox can rip up Robin with combos if he manages to break those defenses. It's an even matchup, either character can struggle against the other.
Some tips:
  • Do not reflect Arcfire, try to jump over it and drop in with down air.
  • When Robin picks up an item, be prepared to reflect those, they deal big damage.
  • The second Robin runs out of Arcfires, if you're close enough go in for a combo while he tries to grab the book. Same with Levin Sword.
  • Robin wants to Elwind spike you! Fire Fox is vulnerable, and skilled Robins will be after the hype play. Try your best to stick to Illusion.
  • Lasers can be annoying if your opponent doesn't know what they're doing, but most Robins are going to keep their Thunder charging to the air. Don't start the match with lasers in this MU, instead try to get underneath Robin.

Last edited:

Lunanix

Smash Cadet
NNID
lunanix
idk what time passed until my latest post, but i still don't have main lmao maybe this game is not for me
If you don't have a main that's fine, at the end of the day you just gotta have fun and play whoever. Finding mains can be both easy and difficult. Some players just know that certain characters will be there mains due to personal connections whilst others aim for play style which is a little harder and requires a lot of time. Obviously if your not enjoying the game then don't feel the need to carry on but since your asking here I expect there isn't any characters that you really like outside of smash so I will be assuming your trying to find a main via play style. Don't feel the pressure to find a main, it will just come to you over time and whether that character is high tier, low tier, tech based, fundamental based or what not, once you find your character you should just feel natural with them.

Unless your aiming to win 100% ie big tournaments etc, try not to take much notice of tier lists, use it as a slight guide of course but don't take it as a certain. You just have to take your time, try out all of the characters and then narrow it down from what you like.

Something I did was made a tier list of characters that I play well with, characters I love, characters I have fun with and characters that I know are not for me. You can use the Smash 4 Tier list creator (this can be found by a quick google search) really quickly and easily and it really helps narrow the choices down and gives a visual picture of what you like/don't like. You can also spot similarity's in your likes/dislikes in terms of character play style.

Just remember, when choosing your main its gotta be someone you love playing, someone when all the odd's are stacked against you, you can pull them out and still have a good time playing.

:)

::Edit:: Just realised Krysco (Above your comment) is going something very similar to what I suggested. Its a very effective method in my opinion.

Last edited:

Rene2is

Smash Rookie
What is up guys I need some help with my mains

I have been using :4palutena: lately but I feel like I am limiting myself, Is there any other characters with the same play style?
By the way my secondary main is :4marth:

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915

I have been using :4palutena: lately but I feel like I am limiting myself, Is there any other characters with the same play style?
:4mewtwo: Plays similarly to :4palutena:, but trading grab combos for overall better tilts and a better ground game in general.

JayE

Smash Journeyman
Hyrule and Altea, the universes of Zelda and FE
NNID
PinoyPlayerJ
3DS FC
2982-0290-3968

I can't think of a character who has the exact same playstyle as Palu, maybe a similar playstyle, but not the same. At least I can't think of someone that has the same playstyle as Palutena. Unless its a clone or something, like Pit/Dark Pit

Top Bottom