• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The 'Mains' Advice Thread

Cam!

Smash Rookie
NNID
EyeOfCammy56
3DS FC
0791-5688-2234
Hello I have a question been playing smash for about 2 years now have played all 4 games including Project M. Got any good Villager and Marth tips?? These are my smash 4 stats.

Mains: (:4villagerf:My go to):4marth::4cloud:
Secondaries: :4falcon::4zelda::4robinf:
Playing Around with/For Fun: :4falco::4zss::4luigi::4diddy:

FG win % (Not like it matters): 86%

Tourneys attended: 2

Doubles attended: 2

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
If you're looking for character specific advice, then go to the character boards. Lots of resources there. Sounds like you've more or less got character selection figured out, which is more this thread's focus.
Also just a heads up, when asking for character tips or advice, be as specific as possible or you will get very general responses which probably isn't helpful. If you just ask for Marth tips, you might just get some basic info like "practice spacing and jab follow ups." Dunno if that's what you want.

?????????????

Smash Master
So, just to throw my two cents in...

You can learn to be good with any character with practice, so if there's a video game character in Smash you particularly like, pick 'em! I picked Little Mac because I love Punch-Out!! He may not be statistically the best for tournaments, and he's very different from "mains" I've had in previous Smash titles, but I practiced a lot and now I'm pretty darn good with Mac.

If not, play around with the characters and go with whoever you have the most fun with. Once again, you can learn to be good with anyone with practice, so pick someone you actually enjoy being. I'm not a particular Kirby fan, but I had so much fun as King Dedede in Brawl, he became my main.

Minwu

Smash Journeyman
What's a good character to cover my weaknesses? I main Mario and Cloud, and kind of have trouble when someone pulls out a projectile spammy character with a lot of tricks like DHD or Pacman. I've been considering someone that can wall out or reflect projectiles and then gimp like Rosa or Pit but don't have enough data with them. A good camper is few and far between but when I play one I get destroyed.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I mean, Mario has a reflector and is generally a bad matchup for most projectile zoners. Cloud is arguably even harder for characters like Villager and Duck Hunt. I think you're fine, you just need to learn the matchups better. Picking up another character would honestly be harder and it isn't necessary. Like, you're already playing 2 pretty easy top/high tiers who can handle those characters. Pac Man in particular thrives off of inexperience, take some time to figure him out and practice counterplay, etc.

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
What's a good character to cover my weaknesses? I main Mario and Cloud, and kind of have trouble when someone pulls out a projectile spammy character with a lot of tricks like DHD or Pacman. I've been considering someone that can wall out or reflect projectiles and then gimp like Rosa or Pit but don't have enough data with them. A good camper is few and far between but when I play one I get destroyed.
I don't think you really need one but Mewtwo has very potent anti zoning game.

:150:

Noodle96

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, So I am having trouble picking a main. I like R.O.B a whole lot, but I am better with Duck Hunt and Rose and Luma. I am a melee player, so characters like falcon and sheik SHOUL be natural fits for me but they aren't, I just don't like the way they feel. So should I pick the character that is most fun or the character I do best with is my question? R.O.B = Fun, I can win often in For Glory. Duck Hunt/Rose = Not that fun, I can win most of the time in For Glory.

EDIT: Also, I forgot about Diddy, I have heard that he is one of the easiest characters to be good at, and Sm4sh is really more of a side thing for me. If I am devoting most of my time to melee still, is Diddy a good option. I have almost no experience with him.

As a help:

It kinda depends on your desires. If youre here to win having fun, def. Pick rob. Theres really no better feeling than winning with one of your favs. But if you desire simply to be really good at the game, pick diddy/rosa. Those characters will be infinitely easier to win with than Rob.

In my case, I main Wario and Corrin. I love warios weirdness, and hes very interesting to play as thanks to his campy, almost trolly play style. Plus you gotta respect the waft. I use Corrin also because I love her character AND she pairs up great with wario. Depending on who im facing or how Im feeling, I can go combo-agressive style with corrin or wait-and-bait with wario.
Hope this helps!

JimeVR46

Smash Rookie
So, something I’ve realized after watching countless hours of high level play through tournaments/steams is that, especially in smash 4, smash attacks are pretty uncommonly used and almost even frowned upon.

One of my biggest flaws as a player is my overuse of f-smashes. I’m a Pikachu main, so I think that up smashes are crucial KO moves and down smash is great for landing punishes/dealing with approaches- but the fsmash is apparently a no-no in the community. I know it sets up an easy punish if you whiff, so is that a place you would substitute a f-tilt? Pikachu’s is pretty solid, especially when edge guarding, it can KO at higher percentages. I don’t know. I feel like I’m a good player, but every time I watch a replay/evaluate my matches, I cringe at my random F smashes I tend to throw out. Anyone have any advice for breaking the habit? I thought about changing my controls, maybe setting the c-stick to tilts, but I use it a lot for aerials…will it change that? Is this a common problem amongst smashers?

I dunno, I feel like it’s one of my huge hurdles before I get to the next level- whichever level that may be.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Smash attacks aren't really a problem. Using them at the wrong time is. You need to learn to be mindful about using your smash attacks. Don't play mindlessly.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Don't get another. 3 is too much. I tried three for a while and quickly dropped it down to 1 maybe 2. Just learn the matchups with the two characters. They both have an easy time with zoners so just learn their respective techniques. You can go on their pages and find this information.

So I use :4pikachu: now and I've learned of Pikas bad/ even matchups and I wanna get a secondary to cover them. He looses to :4mario::4ness::4gaw: and goes even with :4greninja::4kirby::4olimar::4peach::4villager:. Who beats these characters? I've thought of :4marth::4sonic::4mario:and :4tlink:+:4feroy: (though I think they loose to Mario too.) any other suggestions? Who out of these is good? I don't wanna use anyone lower than mid tier.

Last edited:

Synchronize

Smash Cadet
Alright so I've learned that I absolutely cannot play Top Tier characters. Yesterday's local went somewhere like this:
Got to top 36. Sent to losers after a TRAUMATIZING 0-5 playing with :4metaknight: after practicing for ****ing hours and in losers I almost lost after trying :4sheik: and :4cloud2:. I switched back to :4falco: since I thought if I was going to get eliminated this early, might as well throw out the bird. Long story short: I made it to loser's finals with :4falco:...

Sorry to everyone who tried to help me out choosing a new main and everything but I just don't think I can play any top tiers aside from :4zss: and :4corrinf:.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Alright so I've learned that I absolutely cannot play Top Tier characters. Yesterday's local went somewhere like this:
Got to top 36. Sent to losers after a TRAUMATIZING 0-5 playing with :4metaknight: after practicing for ****ing hours and in losers I almost lost after trying :4sheik: and :4cloud2:. I switched back to :4falco: since I thought if I was going to get eliminated this early, might as well throw out the bird. Long story short: I made it to loser's finals with :4falco:...

Sorry to everyone who tried to help me out choosing a new main and everything but I just don't think I can play any top tiers aside from :4zss: and :4corrinf:.
Then just stick with them you don't need any other characters. Good job btw

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
You guys think Falcon is worth pursuing? He seems like a good way to hone fundamentals and movement, and I've been having fun with him lately. I worry he's a bit too straightforward, and know little about his overall MU spread. I know he loses to Pikachu and Sheik quite hard, and he does decent against characters like ZSS and Rosalina. I'll probably just play him while I'm having fun with him and see where it goes.

There's not enough Falcon in Tristate. Go for it.
He is solo mainable, but it's good to have that one backup character... I've seen most go with :4mario: but that may just be my personal bias.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Lord knows I can't hold a character worth ****, so I doubt I'll end up putting a significant amount of time into him. Just hope I can go long enough to get some improvement through him. He's clearly not good enough on his own, what with all the Sheiks crawling around... I have backup characters at the ready. Mario seems like a decent choice for dealing with the rat.

And you're right, Tristate doesn't have a lot of Falcon players from what I've noticed. Wonder why that is?

Ecchin

ᴛʜᴇ ᴠᴏʟɴᴜᴛᴛ
NNID
Generic_Panic
Maybe a break from Sm4sh could help me to get a main? i'm very confused about what to play and i end play a lot of characters in bracket and duh, obviously i lose because of the switch in every set or game, and being in this crisis like 1 year doesn't help me...

I don't know what's up with the character variety in Tristate. The two 7th place finishers at KTAR XVIII played solo Bowser and Wii Fit Trainer, and then the others in the top 8 all used 1.1.4-era top tier characters. (Salem used Lucina a little too, which was crazy)

And there's also a looooot of :4dedede: and more :4marth: than anywhere else. I don't know why.

Oh, and Ecchin Ecchin that's always a good idea.

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
So I feel the need to get a secondary for :4pikachu:. I like :4marth::4mario::4sonic: or :4tlink:+:4feroy: and I need to beat :4greninja::4kirby::4mario::4ness::4olimar::4peach::4villager: Since they beat or go even with Pika. Who do you guys think I should use?

Last edited:

Painting

Smash Rookie
Hey guys,

So I've been in kind of a char crisis for the past months or so. I started off sm4sh playing :4duckhunt: until early wii u, switched to :4zss: and :4robinf:. At the start of this year I stopped playing them as well and switched to :4fox:.

Although I do enjoy playing as Fox, I feel that my preferred playstyle does not combine well with the character. In melee/pm (which I don't really play at a competitive level) my favorite character to play as is :samusmelee:.
I find it really hard to actually describe my playstyle, but I think it kinda leans on zoning/spacing and a hybrid of offensive and hit-and-run play.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
If you want a top tier that works well with that aggresive zoning style you described, :4mewtwo: seems like a good pick for you.

But if your heart lies in :4duckhunt::4samus:, by all means play them! Both are characters that can get some respectable work done.

:150:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Something I have been trying to understand lately is to discard the notion of play styles. In theory, there are only 2 ways to describe the way your play; correct and incorrect. This applies to individual plays, more so than overall "styles" I suppose. If you want to play a character, your goal should be to play them well, to play them properly. The question to ask yourself should likely be "Do this character's strengths overlap with my own?" or "Will I enjoy playing this character well?" or something along those lines.

...Just posting my thoughts. Carry on.

54BR3 WU1F

Smash Cadet
Well, I'm a :4falco: main and I've been having a lot of trouble fighting :4diddy: because well, I'm not that great at Smash. I'm also a :4charizard: secondary and I've never tried fighting a :4diddy: with him. Do you think that I can possibly learn to fight a :4diddy: with :4falco: or :4charizard: easier?

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Honestly, neither do well against Diddy at all. Falco probably has a better shot. All Charizard has going for him is he can mount rage-induced comebacks and punish mistakes harder, but I wouldn't bank on that. Falco is slower, but can box with Diddy better and anti-zone a little bit.

I don't want to say pick up a better character, but it may very well be worth the trouble. Cloud seems to be the pick of choice, but Rosalina boasts a pretty good Diddy matchup. Honestly, I would just say to try playing against Diddy with both of your mains, see what you think. Find a Diddy player to practice with.

54BR3 WU1F

Smash Cadet
Honestly, neither do well against Diddy at all. Falco probably has a better shot. All Charizard has going for him is he can mount rage-induced comebacks and punish mistakes harder, but I wouldn't bank on that. Falco is slower, but can box with Diddy better and anti-zone a little bit.

I don't want to say pick up a better character, but it may very well be worth the trouble. Cloud seems to be the pick of choice, but Rosalina boasts a pretty good Diddy matchup. Honestly, I would just say to try playing against Diddy with both of your mains, see what you think. Find a Diddy player to practice with.
What about trying :4shulk: because my friend said that it might help against :4diddy: ???

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman
Is :4link: viable? He feels "right" for me, and I've been doing well with him in friendlies for a while now, but is he good enough to win anything (with a secondary or two)? I don't want to put time into him if he can't.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
What about trying :4shulk: because my friend said that it might help against :4diddy: ???
Pretty sure Diddy is one of Shulk's worst matchups, and he's also a very complex and demanding and underwhelming character. That pick is ill-advised.

Is :4link: viable? He feels "right" for me, and I've been doing well with him in friendlies for a while now, but is he good enough to win anything (with a secondary or two)? I don't want to put time into him if he can't.
By himself, no. I am not familiar with his relevant matchups, but I know that he isn't considered very good. Likely with a strong secondary or two you could play him and win stuff. You may want to peep the Link boards and see what they think. Check what matchups you could possibly use him in and what secondaries best cover his bad ones.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I doubt it will be the case in the long run. Counterplay will become common knowledge and everyone's going to know the matchup. I think when his relatively low ceiling becomes more apparent he will fall from favor as a catch-all secondary. He's certainly very effective now, I'll give you that. He covers Sonic, does well against Diddy and the bulk of high and top tier. All wrapped into a seemingly simple package.

Maybe it's just because my Cloud is pretty poor, but I have my doubts.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Here's how to use mid- low- bottom tiers. Use them. BUT make sure you have atleast a high tier secondary because you will get stumped. You can try soloing him since he has overall good MUs compared to the others in low tier. Worst matchups being :4pikachu::4fox::4diddy:. I would strongly recommend a secondary like :4mario::4ness: to assist in those matchups. Which high/ top tiers do you like too? I'll help you get a secondary. And if you'd like to know where characters are placed I'll send a tier list to you. It was edited and made with help by pros and tons of players.

Last edited:

Niche

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
fueg#0
NNID
0hribbon
Hey guys is there any character similar to Ice climbers (doubt it but I just really enjoy them)? Heck I'd be fine if there is a character close to sopo.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Hey guys is there any character similar to Ice climbers (doubt it but I just really enjoy them)? Heck I'd be fine if there is a character close to sopo.
:rosalina: With her luma stuff and :4ryu: I feel like is kinda similar. The problem is they were so unique no one is like them. I used them too.

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
Niche Niche As far as Sopo goes, I feel like :4dk: has the closest feel (though lacking a projectile), which is honestly bizarre to think about. But you already use him as a secondary anyway, I see.
Otherwise, as Nice already mentioned, when it comes to the dual-character thing, there's the more obvious :rosalina:, sort of :4duckhunt: due to his can practically being another character you have to control, and MAYBE :4bowserjr: because of mecha koopa, though it's a far stretch.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
I like :4pikachu: as my main and wanna keep him but I need a secondary or 2. In my search I've found that :4mario::4feroy::4sonic::4tlink:. I also love :4ryu: but maybe I should wait till I'm more advanced? :4cloud2: I'm pretty good with but I've had more luck with the others. :4corrin: Has the same story. Who will fit best as my secondary?
:4greninja::4kirby::4mario::4gaw::4ness::4olimar::4peach::4villager: Go even and a few beat Pikachu. Who covers these the best?

Last edited:

54BR3 WU1F

Smash Cadet
I like :4pikachu: as my main and wanna keep him but I need a secondary or 2. In my search I've found that :4mario::4feroy::4sonic::4tlink:. I also love :4ryu: but maybe I should wait till I'm more advanced? :4cloud2: I'm pretty good with but I've had more luck with the others. :4corrin: Has the same story. Who will fit best as my secondary?
:4greninja::4kirby::4mario::4gaw::4ness::4olimar::4peach::4villager: Go even and a few beat Pikachu. Who covers these the best?
Well, it depends on your matchups because sometimes learning as many characters as you can and if you're good at them, then well, you should learn them and learn their matchups, so you'd be able to dominate the competition.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Well, it depends on your matchups because sometimes learning as many characters as you can and if you're good at them, then well, you should learn them and learn their matchups, so you'd be able to dominate the competition.
I kinda understand but a bit confused still. The ones I listed at the bottom are the bad/ even matchups that I want to get a secondary or 2 for. So which 2 out of :4mario::4feroy::4sonic::4tlink: cover those matchups I've listed before?

Top Bottom