• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The 'Mains' Advice Thread

Pair :4falco: with :4zss: and that looks golden. One offense character with good horizontal speed, and one defense character with good vertical speed.
at Nice: Congrats. It's been a long journey, glad you've finally settled. :4ness: will suit you well. I vote keep both secondaries just in case you run into a situation where you know that Roy won't cut it.

EDIT: what I meant is when you absolutely know you won't be using Roy in a crtain matchup. Obviously you're not dropping Roy

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Pair :4falco: with :4zss: and that looks golden. One offense character with good horizontal speed, and one defense character with good vertical speed.
at Nice: Congrats. It's been a long journey, glad you've finally settled. :4ness: will suit you well. I vote keep both secondaries just in case you run into a situation where you know that Roy won't cut it.
Thanks but if by some miracle that happened I'd switch to :4sheik::4mewtwo::4pikachu::4link: or :4ryu:.

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
I've got a big problem on my hands. After hearing from dabuz, nairo, zero, and a ton of others that Roy is possibly bottom 5 or low low tier at best, I question my usage of him. Is this true? If so idk if I should continue with him. I struggle with the game enough as it is and I want to get results. The worst I wanna play is mid tier. But is he? Is Roy really that bad?

Last edited:
Not at all. My philosophy is that there's the top tier, then the high tier, then everyone else... and then Jigglypuff. There are no successful Roy players to prove his viability, placing him in a situation similar to Palutena. ZeRo does not say that Roy is bottom five. The entire reason that he's bottom five is weak recovery and lack of range. In essence, Roy plays like a stronger and faster Meta Knight/Marth without the ability to recover well.

Point is... he's viable, but unproven. Be an advocate for your character instead of letting your character advocate for you. But, the tradeoff is... you have to make your own metagame. Good luck.

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Not at all. My philosophy is that there's the top tier, then the high tier, then everyone else... and then Jigglypuff. There are no successful Roy players to prove his viability, placing him in a situation similar to Palutena. ZeRo does not say that Roy is bottom five. The entire reason that he's bottom five is weak recovery and lack of range. In essence, Roy plays like a stronger and faster Meta Knight/Marth without the ability to recover well.

Point is... he's viable, but unproven. Be an advocate for your character instead of letting your character advocate for you. But, the tradeoff is... you have to make your own metagame. Good luck.
ZeRo did say he's underwhelming. I get what you're saying but I'm looking to get results. I've dropped Link and Toon link twice (2nd time for matchup issues) who are my favorites along with Roy cause I want to have a good PR. With Roy I'm not sure that's as possible as I believe. Even my other Roy friends said he's low tier. Wouldn't it be better to just switch to a top tier and dominate easier?

Synchronize

Smash Cadet
I've got a big problem on my hands. After hearing from dabuz, nairo, zero, and a ton of others that Roy is possibly bottom 5 or low low tier at best, I question my usage of him. Is this true? If so idk if I should continue with him. I struggle with the game enough as it is and I want to get results. The worst I wanna play is mid tier. But is he? Is Roy really that bad?
I honestly dont believe Roy is anywhere near bottom 5 or low tier. In fact, i'd put him somewhere around high mid tier to bottom high tier. He may just be like Yoshi, great character but barely played and in all the tournaments I've played in I only run into a Roy every 3rd tournament and I run into them pretty high in the tournament (top 16). I'd say he's just underused so he's not getting good tournament results like other characters.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
I honestly dont believe Roy is anywhere near bottom 5 or low tier. In fact, i'd put him somewhere around high mid tier to bottom high tier. He may just be like Yoshi, great character but barely played and in all the tournaments I've played in I only run into a Roy every 3rd tournament and I run into them pretty high in the tournament (top 16). I'd say he's just underused so he's not getting good tournament results like other characters.
Though Roy has lots of cool down and throws aren't that great. I've been looking at the short coming of Roy and I understand why people put him low. I don't think he's bottom but I might put him low tier now. But I do love your belief in him.

Last edited:

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
Nice_FZPSC.42 Nice_FZPSC.42 Keep in mind ZeRo mainly bases his opinions on results with a tiny bit of his own feelings mixed in (that's why he puts Yoshi as low as he does even though he personally feels the character has the potential for greater things), so he wouldn't be able to put Roy higher than he currently does since there haven't been strong results going for him. It doesn't make him bad.

The Legendary DJXYZ The Legendary DJXYZ LOL Jigglypuff tier... That somehow makes it feel more special even if it comes after low. I like this feeling.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Nice_FZPSC.42 Nice_FZPSC.42 Keep in mind ZeRo mainly bases his opinions on results with a tiny bit of his own feelings mixed in (that's why he puts Yoshi as low as he does even though he personally feels the character has the potential for greater things), so he wouldn't be able to put Roy higher than he currently does since there haven't been strong results going for him. It doesn't make him bad.

The Legendary DJXYZ The Legendary DJXYZ LOL Jigglypuff tier... That somehow makes it feel more special even if it comes after low. I like this feeling.
It's not just ZeRo though it's a ton of players. I asked Dabuz and he said he sucks. Only better than characters like jiggs. (Sorry bro) and I've heard from Roy players that he's not too good. It's the issue of results. He's not gonna get me the results than Ryu or Pika or any other top tier will. And I want results so that's why I think I should drop him down to secondary or pocket at worst.

Last edited:

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
Nice_FZPSC.42 Nice_FZPSC.42 No problem. :)

Dabuz says Rosalina is bad... But that aside, it sounds like you're feeling pretty strongly about this, but just make sure it's your decision if you drop him to secondary/pocket and you're not just letting other people decide for you when it comes to a more sensitive issue like this (I know you're very fond of Roy as a character.)... I mean, if you're not getting the results you're hoping for after devoting your time and energy to him, that's certainly reason to consider your options. I'd say it's frustrating for most people trying to give a character first place before their actual win record, and you don't want the game to be something sour...

I'm the type who just wants to play my chosen character well, so the struggle that comes along with it is just something I have to expect and deal with, and I'm fine doing that. I have a secondary and a pocket or two I could pull out, but for example, I was losing pretty badly to someone playing Roy, it went to game three, and yet I still ended up choosing Jiggs even though I wasn't even on top of my game that day (was playing so poorly, it was pathetic). Ended up winning in the end, but you get the point; I knew I was very likely to lose, yet my character comes first.

Most aren't going to feel that way, so go with what makes you feel best.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Nice_FZPSC.42 Nice_FZPSC.42 No problem. :)

Dabuz says Rosalina is bad... But that aside, it sounds like you're feeling pretty strongly about this, but just make sure it's your decision if you drop him to secondary/pocket and you're not just letting other people decide for you when it comes to a more sensitive issue like this (I know you're very fond of Roy as a character.)... I mean, if you're not getting the results you're hoping for after devoting your time and energy to him, that's certainly reason to consider your options. I'd say it's frustrating for most people trying to give a character first place before their actual win record, and you don't want the game to be something sour...

I'm the type who just wants to play my chosen character well, so the struggle that comes along with it is just something I have to expect and deal with, and I'm fine doing that. I have a secondary and a pocket or two I could pull out, but for example, I was losing pretty badly to someone playing Roy, it went to game three, and yet I still ended up choosing Jiggs even though I wasn't even on top of my game that day (was playing so poorly, it was pathetic). Ended up winning in the end, but you get the point; I knew I was very likely to lose, yet my character comes first.

Most aren't going to feel that way, so go with what makes you feel best.
I'm still gonna pull him out. Especially at high stakes. So I'm gonna keep him as secondary. Now time to search (yet again) for a character. I'm looking at :rosalina::4diddy::4sheik::4zss::4pikachu::4lucario::4ness::4mewtwo::4ryu: and maybe :4cloud:. I kinda like cloud but his grab game sucks and I like grabs so maybe not him. But I like everything else. Also I don't feel like he overthrew Roy cause Roy has a grab game... :smirk:Rekt. Anyway any help? I like to be able to do everything playstyle wise. I love getting strings and multiple hits in. I won't worry about technical problems/ high learning curves. I want 2. Though I don't want the 2 hardest to use. For the the hardest are :4ryu::rosalina:, the toughies are :4pikachu::4sheik::4lucario::4mewtwo:, and the easy ones are:4zss: :4diddy::4ness: :4cloud:. So unless if have God like MUs I don't want to use :4ryu::rosalina: together but that's all the preference I have. No my region the top 10 are :4cloud2::4yoshi::4lucario::4sonic::4sonic::4mario::4rob::4olimar::4bayonetta::4tlink: And there are lots of :4falcon::4mario::4sonic::4yoshi: so I want to not be bodied by them. Other than that no preference.

Last edited:

Synchronize

Smash Cadet
I'm still gonna pull him out. Especially at high stakes. So I'm gonna keep him as secondary. Now time to search (yet again) for a character. I'm looking at :rosalina::4diddy::4sheik::4zss::4pikachu::4lucario::4ness::4mewtwo::4ryu: and maybe :4cloud:. I kinda like cloud but his grab game sucks and I like grabs so maybe not him. But I like everything else. Also I don't feel like he overthrew Roy cause Roy has a grab game... :smirk:Rekt. Anyway any help? I like to be able to do everything playstyle wise. I love getting strings and multiple hits in. I won't worry about technical problems/ high learning curves. I want 2. Though I don't want the 2 hardest to use. For the the hardest are :4ryu::rosalina:, the toughies are :4pikachu::4sheik::4lucario::4mewtwo:, and the easy ones are:4zss: :4diddy::4ness: :4cloud:. So unless if have God like MUs I don't want to use :4ryu::rosalina: together but that's all the preference I have. No my region the top 10 are :4cloud2::4yoshi::4lucario::4sonic::4sonic::4mario::4rob::4olimar::4bayonetta::4tlink: And there are lots of :4falcon::4mario::4sonic::4yoshi: so I want to not be bodied by them. Other than that no preference.
I'd suggest :025:to you then. Great followups and a lot of combo starters. Probably one of the few characters I can never really play well against. He can string his U-Airs together really well and end off combos depending on how your opponent DIs and how fast you can react to it (U-Air to U-Air to B-Air is probably my fav). His Quick Attack is also great for getting in and a great tool for Ledge Trumping if you're too far from the ledge, and for getting in and out of situations. His recovery is also one of the best in the game since he can follow up his B-Special with a U-Special. I find it extremely hard to punish a good :025: and based on what you want, Pikachu seems to fit the bill pretty well.

The 2nd I'd suggest is :rosalina:. With Boost Grabs and Luma Aerial cancel Grabs I honestly believe :rosalina: has the best grab game. Shes hard to learn for sure (I stopped trying to play Rosa after seeing all the tech she has) but she has one of the best movesets in the game with long lasting hit boxes an amazing recovery. Her Luma is probably what killed it for me. Trying to get correct positioning to get a combo going took my focus away from games and made me lose but I think after a while it'll become natural to you so those combos won't be hard to pull off. She has a crap load of follow ups as well and probably my most hated to play against...

Edit: I don't really look at counters (since i don't really care for that) but Pikachu shouldnt have a problem with Sonic, Yoshi, or Mario but Capt.F can probably cause a few problems. Rosa shouldn't have trouble with any of them aside from Yoshi being able to take out Luma quickly.

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Thanks Synchronize Synchronize ill consider those 2. One my own I have dropped a few so I can narrow down to :rosalina::4diddy::4sheik::4pikachu::4ness::4mewtwo::4ryu:. I like what you say about :4pikachu::rosalina: though :4mario: full on beats Pikachu. But Rosa could handle him. And honestly I have no idea rosa has that much tech so she might end up to hard to play but I'll check it out. But I'm notate just yet. Any more suggestions?

Last edited:

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
Nice_FZPSC.42 Nice_FZPSC.42 I'd just suggest simply maining one of your current secondaries, either :4diddy: or :4ness:. Whichever one you don't choose could remain a secondary along with :4feroy:. This would be a lot easier than throwing yourself onto a new path, or adding even more characters to your line-up.

I'll just leave my input at that and let others make suggestions if you don't end up taking this route.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Nice_FZPSC.42 Nice_FZPSC.42 I'd just suggest simply maining one of your current secondaries, either :4diddy: or :4ness:. Whichever one you don't choose could remain a secondary along with :4feroy:. This would be a lot easier than throwing yourself onto a new path, or adding even more characters to your line-up.

I'll just leave my input at that and let others make suggestions if you don't end up taking this route.
I thought about that but in not sold on those two being my mains. I appreciate the imput and will consider it but idk I kinda want someone new. Maybe not these two together.

Edit: :rosalina: is way to technical for me so I'm gonna have to pass on her. This leaves :4diddy::4sheik::4pikachu::4ness::4mewtwo::4ryu: Left for me. Suggestions?

Last edited:

Synchronize

Smash Cadet
Thanks Synchronize Synchronize ill consider those 2. One my own I have dropped a few so I can narrow down to :rosalina::4diddy::4sheik::4pikachu::4ness::4mewtwo::4ryu:. I like what you say about :4pikachu::rosalina: though :4mario: full on beats Pikachu. But Rosa could handle him. And honestly I have no idea rosa has that much tech so she might end up to hard to play but I'll check it out. But I'm notate just yet. Any more suggestions?
If you want someone who has general tech (Tech that most characters in the cast can carry over to others) I'd suggest :4sheik:. She doesn't have a lot of tech to learn but if you want to play her well, its about how you use her tech. When I mained :4sheik: for a while I remember I did a lot of what i called Perfect Pivot whiffs which was basically avoiding an attack JUST OUTSIDE the hit box and then begin charging up a smash attack for a punish or get in position for some sort of punish. Her moveset is one of the few have barely any lag on start up and ending so combos are big for :4sheik:. You can get off 60% if you can read DI correctly in a single combo and can even kill some characters with bad Vertical recovery (Like :4cloud2:) as low as 30%. You tilt attacks come out very fast so you can interrupt your opponent's attack very quickly and D-Tilt, F/B-Tilt, U-Air (to some extent), F/B-Special, F-Throw, B-Throw (To some extent), D-Throw (Although nerfed), and even U-Throw are very good combo starters so you won't have any trouble getting in on your opponent. The only problem I find with :4sheik:is that she takes a lot of time to get used to and takes a lot of practice to fully use her to her full extent. She also has a bit of a hard time KOing enemies with some of her attacks not having much knockback. Her best KO options are U-Air at high %s, D-Special on offstage enemies or high %s, Sweetspot U-Smash at Mid-High %s, and if you can actually pull it off, D-air (In a way you'll land on stage and spike your opponent offstage)

To be completely honest with you, I don't know how much tech :4sheik: actually has but most of what i see in tournament are general tech like perfect pivoting, B-Reverse Canceling, B-Reverse Bouncing, and a lot of ledge jump tech. Hopefully I've narrowed your list down somewhat but if you ask my opinions on characters I don't think are really worth consideration (compared to the others) I'd put down, :4ryu: because I find him to be very counter-able by multi hitting attacks and good spacing, and to some extent :4ness: only because I'm not seeing the best results from my local tournys.

I also noticed you dont have :4fox: on that list. He has what you're looking for as well and really isn't that difficult to learn so I'd suggest you take a look at him and see if you want to consider him or not.

From your playstyle description the best option is :4ness:. Good grabs, long combos, high power, defensive options- it's all there. Maining him with :4feroy: as a faster-option secondary sounds solid.
KniteBlargh KniteBlargh "Everyone else" is mid tier, not low tier. Jigglypuff is the only one that dips into low tier, but even then, she's like a :pichumelee: where she's totally viable, but has too many disadvantages that it's extremely risky to play her.

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
If you want someone who has general tech (Tech that most characters in the cast can carry over to others) I'd suggest :4sheik:. She doesn't have a lot of tech to learn but if you want to play her well, its about how you use her tech. When I mained :4sheik: for a while I remember I did a lot of what i called Perfect Pivot whiffs which was basically avoiding an attack JUST OUTSIDE the hit box and then begin charging up a smash attack for a punish or get in position for some sort of punish. Her moveset is one of the few have barely any lag on start up and ending so combos are big for :4sheik:. You can get off 60% if you can read DI correctly in a single combo and can even kill some characters with bad Vertical recovery (Like :4cloud2:) as low as 30%. You tilt attacks come out very fast so you can interrupt your opponent's attack very quickly and D-Tilt, F/B-Tilt, U-Air (to some extent), F/B-Special, F-Throw, B-Throw (To some extent), D-Throw (Although nerfed), and even U-Throw are very good combo starters so you won't have any trouble getting in on your opponent. The only problem I find with :4sheik:is that she takes a lot of time to get used to and takes a lot of practice to fully use her to her full extent. She also has a bit of a hard time KOing enemies with some of her attacks not having much knockback. Her best KO options are U-Air at high %s, D-Special on offstage enemies or high %s, Sweetspot U-Smash at Mid-High %s, and if you can actually pull it off, D-air (In a way you'll land on stage and spike your opponent offstage)

To be completely honest with you, I don't know how much tech :4sheik: actually has but most of what i see in tournament are general tech like perfect pivoting, B-Reverse Canceling, B-Reverse Bouncing, and a lot of ledge jump tech. Hopefully I've narrowed your list down somewhat but if you ask my opinions on characters I don't think are really worth consideration (compared to the others) I'd put down, :4ryu: because I find him to be very counter-able by multi hitting attacks and good spacing, and to some extent :4ness: only because I'm not seeing the best results from my local tournys.

I also noticed you dont have :4fox: on that list. He has what you're looking for as well and really isn't that difficult to learn so I'd suggest you take a look at him and see if you want to consider him or not.
He's just weird like he requires pivoting which I suck at and his grabs aren't very good and he's a character that I want to have grabs so idk I don't think so. I like the others more. And I don't wanna drop Ryu for that reason. But I liked what you said about sheik. If I hear more about one character than the others then I'll use them. I am looking to use 2 though. So far I've heard stuff about all of them so I don't think I can decide quite yet. The Legendary DJXYZ The Legendary DJXYZ While I still am I'm not using Roy anymore so I don't want him to be considered. I will still have him but I don't want to include him on my search for 2 new mains if you understand what I mean. Just ignore him.

Last edited:

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Have you hear of Neath? Word from Reddit claims he's a France Roy main who gets some good results with him. Most notable MARS. But he supposedly haven't gone to much tournaments recently. Neath is one of those people who is suppose to be the one that changed other people's opinions of Roy too. I know that Sethlon also had a good ranking around at one of his recent tournaments too.

That being said, I just think Roy needs help through patches in order to work. I hear stuff about he needs improvement in his frame data, have more range and auto cancels in his aerials.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Have you hear of Neath? Word from Reddit claims he's a France Roy main who gets some good results with him. Most notable MARS. But he supposedly haven't gone to much tournaments recently. Neath is one of those people who is suppose to be the one that changed other people's opinions of Roy too. I know that Sethlon also had a good ranking around at one of his recent tournaments too.

That being said, I just think Roy needs help through patches in order to work. I hear stuff about he needs improvement in his frame data, have more range and auto cancels in his aerials.
That's why I've decided to put in my pocket so to speak and wait for his dat to hopefully come. While in the search though I've dropped :4mewtwo: and I'm struggling with :4ryu: today when I usually do decent. Is he as hard to use as :rosalina:? Cause if so then I'm gonna drop him cause I'm not at the skill level to play the hardest in the game rn.

Answer to my own question. Yes he is. I'm not gonna use him. Now it's down to :4diddy::4sheik::4pikachu::4ness:. Any pairs that are good? I'm gonna keep :4lucario: since I've heard good stuff about him.

Last edited:

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Ryu's pretty hard to master. He just takes practice to understand the button inputs (light and medium, depending how you press A), and other set-ups (for example, how you would do his Shakunetsu Hadoken). I don't think I would recommend him to you if that's too much for you to handle.

I don't know well enough about the other four you're currently settled in. However, if you mean pairs for Lucario, I hear Shiek does well with him.

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Ryu's pretty hard to master. He just takes practice to understand the button inputs (light and medium, depending how you press A), and other set-ups (for example, how you would do his Shakunetsu Hadoken). I don't think I would recommend him to you if that's too much for you to handle.

I don't know well enough about the other four you're currently settled in. However, if you mean pairs for Lucario, I hear Shiek does well with him.
I mean pairs not exclusively with Lucario but with the 5. :4diddy::4lucario::4ness::4pikachu::4sheik:

Am I the only one who thinks :4gaw: is really really fun to use?

To help me narrow down I'm not going to use Lucario since I previously dropped him.

Last edited:
For once I can give Nice_FZPSC.42 Nice_FZPSC.42 a breakdown. You've done a good job.
:4lucario: can take almost as much skill as Ryu, because of damage scaling and combo changes.
:4pikachu: is only technical because of Quick Attack, outside of that he's pretty easy. Also very grab-heavy.
:4diddy: is overrated if you ask me, but if you want grabs and movement options, you're set. Just be aware of his abysmal air speed.
:4ness: I've already expressed my thoughts.
:4sheik:, though nerfed, is still good. Just like Diddy after 1.0.6. Sheik can be as technical as you would like, but it's better to have the advanced stuff down.

Personally I'd suggest :4metaknight:. If you already played :4feroy: and couldn't get results, here's the closest proven character.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
For once I can give Nice_FZPSC.42 Nice_FZPSC.42 a breakdown. You've done a good job.
:4lucario: can take almost as much skill as Ryu, because of damage scaling and combo changes.
:4pikachu: is only technical because of Quick Attack, outside of that he's pretty easy. Also very grab-heavy.
:4diddy: is overrated if you ask me, but if you want grabs and movement options, you're set. Just be aware of his abysmal air speed.
:4ness: I've already expressed my thoughts.
:4sheik:, though nerfed, is still good. Just like Diddy after 1.0.6. Sheik can be as technical as you would like, but it's better to have the advanced stuff down.

Personally I'd suggest :4metaknight:. If you already played :4feroy: and couldn't get results, here's the closest proven character.
Post patch :4metaknight: doesn't cut it for me. If he hadn't been nerfed he'd defiantly be my main. But he just doesn't cut it anymore for me. I've dropped :4lucario:. I might put :4tlink: in the same boat as Roy (Windwaker joke) but this won't affect my main decision. I love the input. Something that might help is a rating of skill and fun so I'll do one real quick.
:4diddy:The least fun out of the three but not boring at all. His banana is so nice for stage control and pressure though his air speed can be annoying. His recovery too but it doesn't bother me that much. He's got great matchup spread and I do enjoy getting peanut gun explosion kills. Though I am most inconsistent with him out of the 4. It's not bad but it's a little detail.
:4sheik:Is a lot of fun. Her speed, quickness, movement and recovery added with easy combos and kill set ups I'm comfortable with make Sheik one of my best currently. Plus I love LOZ so why not get a BA representative that doesn't suck... *cough* :4link: *cough*...
:4pikachu:Is a character I absolutely love in this game. Among the favorites. He's fast, quick (attack lol), and has one of the best recoveries and kill set ups in the game. His combos are fun, his juggling and air domination are so handy, and his evasiveness is like he used double team x4. The only downside is currently out of the 4 he's a contender for worst skill wise but it honestly doesn't matter since if I main him he'll easily get to the best.
:4ness:Is brutal. He can beat you to death. It's so satisfying landing his pk Thunder hit and pk pulse. I'm fine with dealing with suck recoveries thanks to my boy (lol it's not that bad) so I'm not concerned there. I wish he had more speed however and less end lag on his specials but I can work around it.
:4feroy::4tlink: Are my two favorite characters in smash bros period. I gotta keep them somehow. So in the pocket and they go. Maybe they'll make appearances in some MUs. But don't worry about including then when giving advice on the four.

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman
I actually think he's a contender for the best in the game, but anyway,
What do YOU think of Roy? Do you think he's a mid/high tier? If you do, prove it to the world, and show them what he really can do! That's what I intend to do with little mac someday.

If you don't want to, though, try out :4mewtwo:or:4cloud:,or maybe even :4falcon:.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
I actually think he's a contender for the best in the game, but anyway,
What do YOU think of Roy? Do you think he's a mid/high tier? If you do, prove it to the world, and show them what he really can do! That's what I intend to do with little mac someday.

If you don't want to, though, try out :4mewtwo:or:4cloud:,or maybe even :4falcon:.
I don't like them or they're to technical. I wanna get results first and get better so I can show off Roy better. I think he's mid tier. Middle to low part of mid since his combos and follow ups are mostly 50/50.

Also the best way to look at tiers is what tier they're in not what place they are. Like they're in top tier but it doesn't matter if they're number 3 or number 7 cause they're still gonna dominate. ESAM goes by this is his tier list he's making currently.

Last edited:

Blaze The Great

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0044-2966-3509
Hey all. I main :4falcon:and:4cloud2:, but I enjoy having more characters. I've finally worked these two up to a level where I feel as if they'll be decent at a local, so I need to get to one soon. I'd like to have a serious pocket character as well, though. Suggestions? I'm open to any style of character, and I'd like one that could potentially cover any flaws these two have. Thanks.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Hey all. I main :4falcon:and:4cloud2:, but I enjoy having more characters. I've finally worked these two up to a level where I feel as if they'll be decent at a local, so I need to get to one soon. I'd like to have a serious pocket character as well, though. Suggestions? I'm open to any style of character, and I'd like one that could potentially cover any flaws these two have. Thanks.
You loose to :4pikachu:. :4diddy: Will also do good against you so I suggest either :4mario::4ness:. They are both easy to use and they beat prat worst go even with those two.

You know what? I'm gonna drop :4diddy:. I'm just not having as much fun or consistency with him as the others. Heck my :4tlink: is better and I don't even play him much. So I'm down to :4sheik::4pikachu::4ness:. Honestly I could go NAKAT style and use all 3. Would that be a bad idea? Or should I just go with 2?

There's a character I never looked at until now and I gotta say I'm gonna consider :4corrin:. He's really fun when you treat him as a main. So I've got 4 now.

Last edited:

Blaze The Great

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0044-2966-3509
You loose to :4pikachu:. :4diddy: Will also do good against you so I suggest either :4mario::4ness:. They are both easy to use and they beat prat worst go even with those two.
Ironically, :4pikachu:and:4diddy: are my 3rd and 4th characters, though I don't really main them. Should I just focus on one of them more, or would it be better to find someone else?

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
Blaze The Great Blaze The Great It depends on what you want to do, I guess, but if you were to focus on one of those two more, I think :4diddy: would cover more match-ups, but :4pikachu: has a better off-stage game if you feel a need there that you're not able to fill with :4falcon: or :4cloud2:.

Blaze The Great

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0044-2966-3509
Blaze The Great Blaze The Great It depends on what you want to do, I guess, but if you were to focus on one of those two more, I think :4diddy: would cover more match-ups, but :4pikachu: has a better off-stage game if you feel a need there that you're not able to fill with :4falcon: or :4cloud2:.
Yeah. I agree that Diddy has a better matchup spread, but Falcon and Cloud together have a very good spread as well. I only want a third to cover mutual weaknesses they may have (offstage game). Plus Pika has some good top tier matchup such as Shiek and Bayo. So I'll probably pick up Pika more.

Why I think :4diddy: is overrated
What is the deal with everyone thinking that this character is sooo much better than everyone else? Is it only the banana and monkey flip that gives him an edge? Is there something I'm missing? Maybe because I've never lost to a Diddy player in tournament? (the one time I did, I was playing :4pikachu: who I was really bad at, and the match was still very close)

Why I think Nice could go with :4pikachu:
You say you're good at all of them. If you want all 3, fine, but I say go :4pikachu:, because there are less notable Pika mains than the other two characters. In the end, any of the three are solo viable, so do whatever you want.

ESAM's tier list is cool
because he even has respect for all of the "bottom tier". All characters that he has seen people be successful with, but are just not as dominant as the higher tiers. I really gotta make my own heavily-opinionated list.

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
The Legendary DJXYZ The Legendary DJXYZ I wanna use 3 just for fun factor and I like all 3 so much. Now if down the road it ends up being ridiculous then I'll drop one and go with 2. Now thankfully after hearing from local friends and thinking on it I'm going to go with :4sheik::4pikachu: for sure. Now for the third I had to focus on my 2 worst match ups with those two. :4mario: And :4pikachu:. Now, I play pika so I can just go with the ditto and have a 50:50. And Sheik vs Mario is about even so here's where I decided. There is 1 notable Pikachu in my region, and a multitude of Mario's. My 3rd place choices were between :4ness:, who beats Pikachu, but looses to Mario, and :4corrin:, who beats Mario, but looses to Pikachu. Obviously I have much more use for :4corrin: since he beats Mario as well as Cloud so that's nice to have 3 characters who all beat Cloud. So, I'm going with Corrin as my third. This way I do still have a swordsmen, a FE representative, and I have a character from each of my three favorite game series; LOZ, FE, and Pokemon. So I've got my three. :4sheik::4pikachu::4corrin:. Is this a good decision? Are there any MUs that body or beat me?

Golden. And you could always do a Pikachu ditto. That's safe.
So... I guess you could call yourself a Sheikachu main?

:4lucas::4villager: is a nasty combo. I've been eating up my local scene. My only loss was to someone's pocket :4ganondorf:, who surprisingly has a pretty good matchup against Lucas. I also now play :4palutena: as my doubles main.

Now that I've learned a bit about developing a balanced metagame, I think it's time to put it to the test in Project Tussle. I gotta go git gud at pixel art first, so wish me luck.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Golden. And you could always do a Pikachu ditto. That's safe.
So... I guess you could call yourself a Sheikachu main?

:4lucas::4villager: is a nasty combo. I've been eating up my local scene. My only loss was to someone's pocket :4ganondorf:, who surprisingly has a pretty good matchup against Lucas. I also now play :4palutena: as my doubles main.

Now that I've learned a bit about developing a balanced metagame, I think it's time to put it to the test in Project Tussle. I gotta go git gud at pixel art first, so wish me luck.
Sheikachu. I love it. Good luck man!

Synchronize

Smash Cadet
Looking through my tournament records, I've come to the conclusion that playing Mid and Low tiers arent going to let me win tournaments as consistently as I want to. With not taking a local tournament even once, I'd like to finally ask for some help deciding some Top Tier characters since the only one I really have at the moment is :4zss: and :4corrinf: who I don't play as much.

I've narrowed my list down to a few characters I'm willing to practice around with and I'd like some insight on each one so I can decide which one I will work on.
:4metaknight::4cloud2::4sheik::4pikachu::rosalina::4pit:/:4darkpit:
Alternatively, I can continue to work on :4corrinf: and :4zss: but I would like to add another character to that list and put :4falco: away as a pocket.

Top Bottom